Preliminary extension talks have begun with Shipley

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
I'm no expert on OL play but if Shipley was horrible I'm sure Kugler and KK would let Keim know it. The fact they're working on a contract this soon tells me that the coaches want him back.
To me it screams Cole and galliard are swings and misses in the draft. Again. By bluto.

Solar7

Go Suns
Reaction score
Maybe Gaillard was a "red shirt" rookie like Humphries? I'm clinging to that hope.
Gaillard is a 6th round pick. Counting on him to contribute is a fool's errand. There's a higher likelihood of him not making the roster this year than ever being a regular starter on the OL. The whole Mason Cole thing ticks me off, though. Feels wonderful spending a 3rd round pick on a guy who will contribute in maybe two games a season. It's how I feel about Zach Allen, too. 3rd round pick on someone who might, maybe, in a perfect world, end up a rotational player this season.

wa52lz

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
God please say it ain’t so

he can’t run block

he’s okay at pass block

Keim sucks at evaluating centers
Keim didn’t even try when Pouncy was available and the Chargers got him at a great deal...then went to the pro bowl every year

Keim sucks at O line evaluation
Would have been a perfect Keim signing with him and his $11 million dollar cap hit on the IR this year. I can imagine the hand wringing now.

Sent from my Moto G Play using Tapatalk

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'll never really understand the hate that Shipley gets here. People did the same stuff about Lyle Sendlein.

If the Cards could easily upgrade from Shipley, they would have.

I'm going to go out on a limb and say I think the Cards think Shipley is the captain of the line, and is very helpful with a young QB in calling protections etc. He sure doesn't seem to be very good overall but I suspect they think he's consistent and they like that with a young QB. Other than snapping the ball when Murray is trying to change the play, which admittedly was not a regular occurrence, I suspect they think he did a nice job helping Kyler through the last game. With a young QB you want someone you can trust and they apparently trust Shipley.

It's interesting because as a fan if you would have asked me which 3 guys on the offense Kyler has the least "trust" with I would have said Isabella, David Johnson, and Shipley. Isabella because he just doesn't seem to like throwing to him, Johnson because we've seen Kyler yell at him a few times in recent games over missed blocks or other things, and Shipley because it seems like there's been a few times this year where they seemed at odds. But clearly the team thinks otherwise and they'd know better than I do.

Chris_Sanders

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
BTW the new Keim special is for someone to make some sort of blunder that costs us a game and then we extend them

pinetopred

Registered
Reaction score
Gaillard is a 6th round pick. Counting on him to contribute is a fool's errand. There's a higher likelihood of him not making the roster this year than ever being a regular starter on the OL. The whole Mason Cole thing ticks me off, though. Feels wonderful spending a 3rd round pick on a guy who will contribute in maybe two games a season. It's how I feel about Zach Allen, too. 3rd round pick on someone who might, maybe, in a perfect world, end up a rotational player this season.
I don't know rookies are rookies, I know Cole isnt but seems like every post you make these guys are set in stone and won't improve, hell it takes most guys a few years at every level to become something. I know we live in an instant gratification era, but everything isnt black and white some guys take time to learn where they fit and what they do well to win at this level JMO.

Solar7

Go Suns
Reaction score
I don't know rookies are rookies, I know Cole isnt but seems like every post you make these guys are set in stone and won't improve, hell it takes most guys a few years at every level to become something. I know we live in an instant gratification era, but everything isnt black and white some guys take time to learn where they fit and what they do well to win at this level JMO.
I only say this in the context of re-signing guys to obviously start over them. I really wanted to give Cole a chance, and I think he deserved one. I didn't see any reason to not let him build on an entire rookie year of starting, because the worst case scenario is that we sent him to the bench for poor play and let AQ in.

Gaillard has a very poor pathway to playing time, which is why I'm so down and out on him. Re-signing Shipley is basically a clear sign that we think neither guy is ready to compete. 6th round picks don't get many open doors, and as it stands, he's going to have to find some versatility to make the roster. Cole has done at least that, but both guys are looking at a very late opportunity in their rookie contracts to compete, if that time ever comes, depending on AQ's deal.

slanidrac16

ASFN Icon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
True. The other thing is that a coach is going to field the best team he can in order to win. If by chance Galliard has got potential and needs grooming a coach is going to start the veteran until the rookie is ready or pretty day close to it.

ARZCardinals

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
This is a very good point. Based on all the feed back from several posters I hope we do re-sign Shipley. One less roster spot to worry about plus we have some youngins on the roster who may develop into quality C's.

Quality!?!
Ha!

ranked 32nd center in the league
Lowest run block score
And just decent at pass block

yea he’s quality like government cheese

Buckybird

Hoist the Lombardi Trophy
Reaction score
I only say this in the context of re-signing guys to obviously start over them. I really wanted to give Cole a chance, and I think he deserved one. I didn't see any reason to not let him build on an entire rookie year of starting, because the worst case scenario is that we sent him to the bench for poor play and let AQ in.

Gaillard has a very poor pathway to playing time, which is why I'm so down and out on him. Re-signing Shipley is basically a clear sign that we think neither guy is ready to compete. 6th round picks don't get many open doors, and as it stands, he's going to have to find some versatility to make the roster. Cole has done at least that, but both guys are looking at a very late opportunity in their rookie contracts to compete, if that time ever comes, depending on AQ's deal.
And yet Shipley was a 7th round pick & struggled to crack the lineup on a piss poor Colts Oline & the only reason he did was because of injury, then let go in FA.

Imo the bottom line he’s the weak link on our Oline & has never been part of any pretty good Cardinals offenses. Seindlein was, Shipley hasn’t. It’s a sad testament to Keims poor roster planing that he values a “veteran, good teammate” & sacrifices production for mediocre play

Last edited:

Buckybird

Reaction score
I
To me it screams Cole and galliard are swings and misses in the draft. Again. By bluto.
I think it’s more Keim wanting to reward “a good locker room dude veteran” than a reflection of those guys. Hell Cole played as a rookie & was almost as good. If this team wants to get serious about winning again, Keim needs to try to tweak this Oline & it’s starts in the middle pivot with C who’s average at best & probably wouldn’t start for 30 of the 32 teams in the NFL

Cardiac

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Quality!?!
Ha!

ranked 32nd center in the league
Lowest run block score
And just decent at pass block

yea he’s quality like government cheese

Do you even read what you respond to?

I wrote we have youngins who may develop into quality starters, I wasn't saying that Shipley was quality.

Want to jump on me then pay attention to what I actually posted. I posted that Shipley was a solid player.

Solar7

Go Suns
Reaction score
And yet Shipley was a 7th round pick & struggled to crack the lineup on a piss poor Colts Oline & the only reason he did was because of injury, then let go in FA.

Imo the bottom line he’s the weak link on our Oline & has never been part of any pretty good Cardinals offenses. Seindlein was, Shipley hasn’t. It’s a sad testament to Keims poor roster planing that he values a “veteran, good teammate” & sacrifices production for mediocre play
Just being clear, I'm not a big Shipley guy myself. I would rather go young, I'd rather replace him for a better future player. I just don't think that Gaillard or Cole will ever be given the opportunity. And I'm not going to get hyped about Gaillard until he takes at least a couple of snaps at any position.

Buckybird

Reaction score
Just being clear, I'm not a big Shipley guy myself. I would rather go young, I'd rather replace him for a better future player. I just don't think that Gaillard or Cole will ever be given the opportunity. And I'm not going to get hyped about Gaillard until he takes at least a couple of snaps at any position.
I know you were. Sometimes you just turn the page for the betterment of the team.

Keim seems to sometimes be to loyal to “his guys” just like BA was & it’s the biggest fault of Jerry Jones too. I just don’t get it. You draft 2 centers (1 high) & yet you can’t play either over a dime a dozen type player in Shipley. It’s freakin maddening

b8rtm8nn

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score

Cole started his rookie season and didn't embarrass himself. He was the swing guard with a couple of starts and flipping between LG and RG during games and we didn't notice. I would hardly call that a failure.

Keim has several real misses at OL, Cole isn't one of them.

Lagerfilled

Professional Tailgater
Reaction score
And how can we call Gaillard a miss when he hasn’t even been given an opportunity to play with starters? I know he was injured early on; however I don’t believe being inactive for 17 weeks is fair shakes.

Solar7

Go Suns
Reaction score
And how can we call Gaillard a miss when he hasn’t even been given an opportunity to play with starters? I know he was injured early on; however I don’t believe being inactive for 17 weeks is fair shakes.
...How can you call him a win? At least one poster has said they'd be comfortable with him starting next year.

He's a complete enigma. We have nothing to imply he's good, nothing to imply he's bad, but in a season where there were plenty of injuries, he was inactive the whole time, so claiming he's going to do anything is blind hope.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sarahmoose