Drake was the best rb on our team. 5 mil a year is peanuts for a starting rb

Sent from my moto g(7) using Tapatalk

BigRedRage

Reckless
Supporting Member
Reaction score
$5m + a $16m CAP hit to get rid of DJ.

Price of peanuts!
The DJ situation is what it is. You'd prefer to draft a rb and hope they can play just because of DJs contract? And then, if they aren't very good and we miss the playoffs because we are one dimensional, we can just say "well, at least we didn't spend 5 mil on a quality, proven starter in our system"

GuernseyCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
The DJ situation is what it is. You'd prefer to draft a rb and hope they can play just because of DJs contract? And then, if they aren't very good and we miss the playoffs because we are one dimensional, we can just say "well, at least we didn't spend 5 mil on a quality, proven starter in our system"

Well, I'd have no problem drafting a bigger, faster Chubba out of OSU in the second and control him for 4 years.

I'll let the market decide how "proven" Drake is viewed.

BigRedRage

Reckless
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Well, I'd have no problem drafting a bigger, faster Chubba out of OSU in the second and control him for 4 years.

I'll let the market decide how "proven" Drake is viewed.
He's proven a starter in our system. That's all. Sure, if a big name back happens to fall to us and works out, that'd be awesome but we have major holes. 5mil on a quality, proven starter in our system is a great situation to be in and we can allocate draft picks to glaring holes that already exist vs creating new ones....again...over 5 million dollars.

GuernseyCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
He's proven a starter in our system. That's all. Sure, if a big name back happens to fall to us and works out, that'd be awesome but we have major holes. 5mil on a quality, proven starter in our system is a great situation to be in and we can allocate draft picks to glaring holes that already exist vs creating new ones....again...over 5 million dollars.

And where exactly does your $5m figure come from?

BigRedRage

Reckless
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I was quoting someone who said 5mil per year. I guess the quote didn't work.

bojack

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
$5m + a $16m CAP hit to get rid of DJ.

Price of peanuts!

The DJ money is already spent. We are taking a $14M cap hit if we keep him, $16M if we don't. If we keep him it costs us an additional $2M in dead cap 2021 because that part of salary guarantees this March. The money is already spent, it just depends when you want to pay it.

Keep DJ and have a $14M hit this year and a $5M hit next year ($19M cap hit over 2 years) or cut him and have a $16M cap hit over 1 year.

If he is worth a roster spot you keep him if not you cut him.

GuernseyCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
The DJ money is already spent. We are taking a $14M cap hit if we keep him, $16M if we don't. If we keep him it costs us an additional $2M in dead cap 2021 because that part of salary guarantees this March. The money is already spent, it just depends when you want to pay it.

Keep DJ and have a $14M hit this year and a $5M hit next year ($19M cap hit over 2 years) or cut him and have a $16M cap hit over 1 year.

If he is worth a roster spot you keep him if not you cut him.

Agreed.

My preferred option is a trade: Probably cost draft capital and there will be a $6m CAP hit but if we get a player in return with an existing contract in the bargain it may entice.

OP
OP
HoodieBets

HoodieBets

Formerly azcardsfan1616
Reaction score
And where exactly does your $5m figure come from?
$5m is what the rate for a RB last year was. That is what Tevin Coleman and Mark Ingram got. When Coleman was leaving Atlanta I’d say he is a very good comparable to Drake. That should be what the cardinals say to his agent. Wether he takes that or another team overpays that’s out of their control.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

TheCardFan

Things have changed.
Reaction score
It's an interesting situation and I am starting to feel a little bit better about it.

The RB market value is going down rapidly and there have been some pretty bad signings that should give teams the yips even more.

Drake fits this offense really well but he has never rushed for more than 817 yards in his career (pro or college).

Here are the RB's signed in 2019 only:

Elliott and Bell have done it at a very high level and were arguable the best RB's in the NFL.
Ingram had better production than Drake in his career but is older.
Tevin Coleman may be the best comp from 2019.

You must be registered for see images attach

Gurley and Johnson were at a different level...both have come crashing down.
McKinnon was a mistake...way overpaid and has been hurt.
Barkley is a rookie contract

You must be registered for see images attach

You may have to go higher on the guaranteed money for Drake but he should land in the 4-5m/year range IMO.

slanidrac16

ASFN Icon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It’s going to take gauranteed money to keep Drake. We certainly don’t want to put 8 m on the cap this year to keep him.

forget David Johnson. You can’t downgrade the importance of what Drake brought here based on a salary we are already going to pay.

if you wrecked your car but had 12 payments left you wouldn’t say I’m not buying another car. You would need to buy another car and hope to get what you can for the old one.

Solar7

Go Suns
Reaction score
I still don't see why everyone says Drake is so proven. A smattering of decent games when he has all the incentive to play his heart out and get paid, but he never did this anywhere else... RBs on second contracts seem to be a fool's errand for almost everyone. I'm worried we pay Drake a decent chunk of coin - coin that could be spent on other players, and the dude just absolutely sucks. Then we're sitting there with both DJ's contract and Drake's contract and going "well what now?"

The thing is, Drake is good, I just don't think he's elite or even any better than middle of the pack. This is a guy who has played in 62 games in his career and has a total of 5 100 yard games. I don't like those numbers. No, Miami hasn't been good, but they weren't in tank mode his entire career, so it's not really an excuse.

GuernseyCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
It’s going to take gauranteed money to keep Drake. We certainly don’t want to put 8 m on the cap this year to keep him.

forget David Johnson. You can’t downgrade the importance of what Drake brought here based on a salary we are already going to pay.

if you wrecked your car but had 12 payments left you wouldn’t say I’m not buying another car. You would need to buy another car and hope to get what you can for the old one.

Isn't car insurance compulsory where you live?

RON_IN_OC

https://www.ronevansrealty.com
Reaction score

I think the Cards have like 24 or 36 payments left on DJ, though.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

TruColor

Trombonist in Roger Goodell's Wedding Rcpt.
Reaction score
Kenyon just posted this...seems "put on" a bit however:

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

SoCal Cardfan

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
I love what KD brought to this team, But we have to let him walk... There seems to be an incurable disease that almost all top shelf RB's are suffering from.

I think the medical term is ... "Don'tgivachitanymoreIgotpayed"

slanidrac16

ASFN Icon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I love what KD brought to this team, But we have to let him walk... There seems to be an incurable disease that almost all top shelf RB's are suffering from.

I think the medical term is ... "Don'tgivachitanymoreIgotpayed"
What is overpaying? Would 5 m per year be too much? 6 m?

Yes we made a mistake with DJ only because we paid too much at a time when RB’s were getting paid( Gurley, Bell). Those times have changed. I think we are overestimating what it will take to sign Drake.

I have a problem with finding a piece of the puzzle and then letting them walk away. Keim gave away a 5th round pick for Drake. I don’t think he was thinking rent a player. I also think the Cards has a pretty good feel of what it would take to keep in here.

Buckybird

Hoist the Lombardi Trophy
Reaction score
The problem is that Drake is a FA & can go anywhere his heart desires! By the continued flash of his “$ign fingers” with each TD, he’s going to the highest bidder with zero discounts to the Cards. This is probably his 1 chance to ca$h his lotto ticket imo.

Bottom line is it takes 2 sides to get a deal & unfortunately I think the Cards are in a bad position to retain his services!!! Unless, they way overpay & we already seen the ramifications of that. Drake holds “all the cards” pardon the pun lol
What is overpaying? Would 5 m per year be too much? 6 m?

Yes we made a mistake with DJ only because we paid too much at a time when RB’s were getting paid( Gurley, Bell). Those times have changed. I think we are overestimating what it will take to sign Drake.

I have a problem with finding a piece of the puzzle and then letting them walk away. Keim gave away a 5th round pick for Drake. I don’t think he was thinking rent a player. I also think the Cards has a pretty good feel of what it would take to keep in here.

slanidrac16

ASFN Icon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The problem is that Drake is a FA & can go anywhere his heart desires! By the continued flash of his “$ign fingers” with each TD, he’s going to the highest bidder with zero discounts to the Cards. This is probably his 1 chance to ca$h his lotto ticket imo.

Bottom line is it takes 2 sides to get a deal & unfortunately I think the Cards are in a bad position to retain his services!!! Unless, they way overpay & we already seen the ramifications of that. Drake holds “all the cards” pardon the pun lol
But if you look at last years f/a running backs and what they signed for I don’t think there are many teams that will be out there bidding for his services. At least not paying him outrageous money. The trend in the NFL currently devalues runningbacks. I don’t believe Drake is going to change that trend.

We can no longer compare the market to Gurley, Bell and even Elliott. I think Elliott will be the last one for a while. There are other F/a’s out there like Breida and Ekeler that we could turn to IF needed. I’m hoping Drake feels like he’s found a home.

Ronin

…..
Super Moderator
Reaction score
But if you look at last years f/a running backs and what they signed for I don’t think there are many teams that will be out there bidding for his services. At least not paying him outrageous money. The trend in the NFL currently devalues runningbacks. I don’t believe Drake is going to change that trend.

We can no longer compare the market to Gurley, Bell and even Elliott. I think Elliott will be the last one for a while. There are other F/a’s out there like Breida and Ekeler that we could turn to IF needed. I’m hoping Drake feels like he’s found a home.
All it takes is one stupid team, with stupid money.:)

Latest posts

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
PicksFromDave