The Irishman

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Saw this yesterday and man... it is pretty damn great. That said, anyone expecting it to be like GOODFELLAS needs to recalibrate their expectations. It's not near the electric pace of that movie and while it's about the mob, it's just a much, much different tone and there's no better example of it than Pesci's performance.

He's always been at his best when he's a firecracker that's just waiting to explode, but his performance here goes completely against type and in a movie with Pacino and DeNiro, both putting in great performances, Pesci steals the entire thing.

If you love grand, epic filmmaking, I implore you to see this in the theaters as opposed to watching it on Netflix. Yes, it's very long and the first hour is a little slow in building the world which scared me while watching it, but once Pacino shows up, I settled in for easy for the next 2.5 hours. It's really something... feels like a swan song for everyone involved.

Also, I was worried the de-aging effects would bother me throughout the movie. They're most notable in that first hour, but they're not that bad and within 30 minutes, I never thought about them for the duration.

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
Saw this yesterday and man... it is pretty damn great. That said, anyone expecting it to be like GOODFELLAS needs to recalibrate their expectations. It's not near the electric pace of that movie and while it's about the mob, it's just a much, much different tone and there's no better example of it than Pesci's performance.

He's always been at his best when he's a firecracker that's just waiting to explode, but his performance here goes completely against type and in a movie with Pacino and DeNiro, both putting in great performances, Pesci steals the entire thing.

If you love grand, epic filmmaking, I implore you to see this in the theaters as opposed to watching it on Netflix. Yes, it's very long and the first hour is a little slow in building the world which scared me while watching it, but once Pacino shows up, I settled in for easy for the next 2.5 hours. It's really something... feels like a swan song for everyone involved.

Also, I was worried the de-aging effects would bother me throughout the movie. They're most notable in that first hour, but they're not that bad and within 30 minutes, I never thought about them for the duration.
I've heard pretty much the same thing from some other people that have seen it.

OP
OP
Cheesebeef

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I've heard pretty much the same thing from some other people that have seen it.

it's good dude. I know you're cinefile. See it at The Landmark or Egyptian if you get the chance before it's out of theaters.

just bring a jar to piss in.

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
it's good dude. I know you're cinefile. See it at The Landmark or Egyptian if you get the chance before it's out of theaters.

just bring a jar to piss in.
I'm probably not going to be able to, what with my kid and prepping for my cross country vacation in a couple weeks. :(

OP
OP
Cheesebeef

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm probably not going to be able to, what with my kid and prepping for my cross country vacation in a couple weeks. :(

that's a shame but I think you'll still really dig it watching it at home on a big screen.

Raindog

I didn't come here to be liked!
Reaction score
I really want to see this, but refuse on principle to subscribe to Netflix just for their handful of exclusive content. And their refusal to release the exclusive content on DVD/BR at a later time makes me even more hostile to them.

OP
OP
Cheesebeef

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I really want to see this, but refuse on principle to subscribe to Netflix just for their handful of exclusive content. And their refusal to release the exclusive content on DVD/BR at a later time makes me even more hostile to them.

it's going to go a little wider in release in the next couple weeks. try to see if it's playing in any art house theaters near you because that's where it'll be playing if it's playing anywhere. the big theater chains gave Netflix the finger here because of windowing.

Finito

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
This movie was an hour to long the whole last act after Hoffa gets killed isn’t really needed. Just being old got pretty boring.

kind of disappointed

GatorAZ

feed hopkins
Reaction score
This movie was an hour to long the whole last act after Hoffa gets killed isn’t really needed. Just being old got pretty boring.

kind of disappointed

Acting wasn’t great either. Some of the scenes were just bad... It’s like a once great dynasty that’s past their prime.

Finito

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Acting wasn’t great either. Some of the scenes were just bad... It’s like a once great dynasty that’s past their prime.

Oh yeah. I thought the same thing. It’s clear that magic is gone.

DeAnna

Just A Face in The Crowd
Reaction score
Yes, it's very long and the first hour is a little slow in building the world which scared me while watching it, but once Pacino shows up, I settled in for easy for the next 2.5 hours.

I couldn't even make it to the 1st hr. So slow and monotonous that I fell asleep.

Brian in Mesa

Advocatus Diaboli
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Wife and I both thought it was a fascinating film. I posted about it on Facebook and got several responses saying they wouldn't watch it because DeNiro was in it. Their loss.

Covert Rain

Father smelt of elderberries!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Finally watched this. Man...I really really struggled with the start of this film. I swear, I think editing (pacing) is becoming a lost art form. I struggled with Joker and now this. Overall I really liked the film and the performances but I swear...several movies as of late seem like epic slogs out of the gate. Thanks goodness the movie finishes so strong.

JerkFace

(Formerly offset) i have a special purpose
Reaction score
I enjoyed it although I tend to prefer longer movies. Given time restraints I decided to watch this more in a mini series style. I broke it into 3 nights, with each night being a bit over an hour. Each night I was a bit disappointed to have to turn it off, and when it ended I still wanted more.

Bada0Bing

Don't Stop Believin'
Reaction score

"A swan song for everyone involved" is a great way to describe it. It was long, but I didn't think there was a wasted scene. Great conversations.