Preliminary extension talks have begun with Shipley

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm not excited about keeping Shipley but having depth is not a bad thing. The Cardinals can still add another center if the right one comes along.

Buckybird

Hoist the Lombardi Trophy
Reaction score
I'll never really understand the hate that Shipley gets here. People did the same stuff about Lyle Sendlein.

If the Cards could easily upgrade from Shipley, they would have.
The problem is Seindlein was better than Shipley imo.

This is a really poor move by Keim, but typical & exactly why Michael is making a big mistake by keeping him as GM. The Cards need to upgrade at C & this move negates that possibility & most likely kills any shot at Galliard getting a shot at starting.

If it’s a minimal 1 year deal I’m game, but we know how Keim operates. Ugh :bang:

dscher

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I'll never really understand the hate that Shipley gets here. People did the same stuff about Lyle Sendlein.

Cause and effect. Keim can't draft or build his line correctly causing us to settle for average to below average lineman. That's the problem I see. Jmo.

unseenaz

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Why is anyone surprised by this. Murray is comfortable with him, and he does a passable job.

We have much bigger needs - and limited money and draft picks to fix them with.
This. Can’t spend 80mil on every weak position. And Shipley is by far the least of our issues to fix.

Rohinaz

All Star
Reaction score
We should judge this until we see that contact. Shipley has brought stability to the position and is a good player. There are prob only a couple vet Center available that would be upgrades and we dont know if they will hit the market. One things I really dont want is a young inexperienced oline. I would sign a vet RT as well. If galliard or a draft pick outperforms Shipley than so be it, but he has been the best option.

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
Again, Shipley is solid but IMHO this unit needs a difference maker at the C position. Murray impressed me in how he played especially considering he was picked up after the season started but I agree he needs to be upgrade first.

What is your needs list for this team?

OT
DE
ILB
OLB
C
WR

This are the main needs IMO and pretty much in this order.

I think you assume that D.J. Humphries is staying and Kenyan Drake is leaving (for argument's sake, when building an offseason plan):

Critical Issues that Must Be Addressed by at least 1 mid-level-plus FA:
RT
DE (I had no idea that Gunter, Bullard, and Kerr are all pending FAs)

Major Concerns that Could Addressed with a mid-level FA or priority draft pick:
Outside WR
ILB
OLB (I could be convinced that this should move up)
NT

Priority upgrades through strategic drafting and free agency:
Backup QB
TE
C

KeeSean Johnson played 149 more snaps this season than Isabella, and he was basically in the doghouse after Week 12.

Cardiac

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I think you assume that D.J. Humphries is staying and Kenyan Drake is leaving (for argument's sake, when building an offseason plan):

Critical Issues that Must Be Addressed by at least 1 mid-level-plus FA:
RT
DE (I had no idea that Gunter, Bullard, and Kerr are all pending FAs)

Major Concerns that Could Addressed with a mid-level FA or priority draft pick:
Outside WR
ILB
OLB (I could be convinced that this should move up)
NT

Priority upgrades through strategic drafting and free agency:
Backup QB
TE
C

KeeSean Johnson played 149 more snaps this season than Isabella, and he was basically in the doghouse after Week 12.

I think Peters is more than solid at NT and Hundley looks like a quality back up QB to me, otherwise I agree. I did forget about the TE position because the Cards have as well for decades now.

ajcardfan

I see you.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Say what you will about Shipley, and we do, for some reason his QBs and coaches here have loved him. He wasn't made a captain this year because they think he has to hit the road.

Reddog

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Again, Shipley is solid but IMHO this unit needs a difference maker at the C position. Murray impressed me in how he played especially considering he was picked up after the season started but I agree he needs to be upgrade first.

What is your needs list for this team?

OT
DE
ILB
OLB
C
WR

This are the main needs IMO and pretty much in this order.

I think we need a #1 WR more than a center. I would have that higher on your list and add a RB. I think as good as KD is he will want more than we should pay him given the short shelf life of the position. I also can’t understand the thinking that Arians would trade for him and eat up 13M when he could sign drake himself for a lot less.

Delmar M Lewis

All Star
Reaction score
Cole actually was drafted for a guard (swing) position I thought and he did end up playing center almost all of his Rookie Year
Two different issues.

They drafted 3 C's to replace Shipley (4th rd Boehm, 4th rd Cole, 6th rd Galliard).

That doesn't make Shipley good...just better than those guys at this point.

RugbyMuffin

ASFN IDOL
Reaction score

Sendlein sucked.

At least Shipley has to compete for his job.

But, I can say something good about Shipley......you can do worse

Sent from my mystical communication warp drive device thingy

CardsSunsDbacks

Not So Skeptical
Reaction score
Shipley cost $1.4mm this year.

we aren't talking giant $ here
This and also all this really shows is that they want to keep him on the roster. Doesn't have to mean that they won't consider an upgrade.

At the same time I think this team is going to go for as much continuity as possible and simply upgrade the positions that significantly need upgrading. On the offensive line the only position that truly qualifies is RT.

Jetstream Green

Kool Aid with a touch of vodka
Reaction score
Freaking guys like Murray at tackle and Copper should be the ones Keim should be extending for depth and not 'push me back, way back' Shipley as a starter
You must be registered for see images attach

ARZCardinals

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
God please say it ain’t so

he can’t run block

he’s okay at pass block

Keim sucks at evaluating centers
Keim didn’t even try when Pouncy was available and the Chargers got him at a great deal...then went to the pro bowl every year

Keim sucks at O line evaluation

Cardiac

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I think we need a #1 WR more than a center. I would have that higher on your list and add a RB. I think as good as KD is he will want more than we should pay him given the short shelf life of the position. I also can’t understand the thinking that Arians would trade for him and eat up 13M when he could sign drake himself for a lot less.

I think a #1 WR would be nice and is needed but I'm tired of the Oline at best being okayis. I also believe building the trenches is the priority except for QB. Maybe drafting a WR at 8 would make a nice immediate impact but I'd rather build the Oline first.

Go get a decent WR in FA along with a DE or two.

Solar7

Go Suns
Reaction score
I knew this was coming, but it bothers me. We really need to upgrade there. It sucks that we've drafted Cole and Gaillard, and both functionally wastes of picks, tossing out more money here. I would have loved to sign a much stronger player at the position.

It surprises me how many people are truly unaware of players entering free agency, when it's a drum that should be pounded loudly in every thread on the subject.

We only have 38 filled roster spots, and there's not even backups available at key spots.

OLB
ILB
DE
C
RT
LT

...All positions that are not returning their starter in 2020, don't have a functional backup under contract, and need to be addressed with either a re-signing, new signing, or draft pick.

Then there's other spots where we still realistically need to re-sign/sign/draft a player:

WR
Backup QB

Positions we could upgrade:
All ;)

...But seriously, there's plenty we could improve upon, I just don't think we'll have the money.

Cardiac

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Say what you will about Shipley, and we do, for some reason his QBs and coaches here have loved him. He wasn't made a captain this year because they think he has to hit the road.

This is a very good point. Based on all the feed back from several posters I hope we do re-sign Shipley. One less roster spot to worry about plus we have some youngins on the roster who may develop into quality C's.

bg7brd

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
The problem is Seindlein was better than Shipley imo.

This is a really poor move by Keim, but typical & exactly why Michael is making a big mistake by keeping him as GM. The Cards need to upgrade at C & this move negates that possibility & most likely kills any shot at Galliard getting a shot at starting.

If it’s a minimal 1 year deal I’m game, but we know how Keim operates. Ugh :bang:
I'm no expert on OL play but if Shipley was horrible I'm sure Kugler and KK would let Keim know it. The fact they're working on a contract this soon tells me that the coaches want him back.

juza76

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I'm no expert on OL play but if Shipley was horrible I'm sure Kugler and KK would let Keim know it. The fact they're working on a contract this soon tells me that the coaches want him back.
No, cause his buddy Keim can go all over them if they think is replaceable

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
We should judge this until we see that contact. Shipley has brought stability to the position and is a good player. There are prob only a couple vet Center available that would be upgrades and we dont know if they will hit the market. One things I really dont want is a young inexperienced oline. I would sign a vet RT as well. If galliard or a draft pick outperforms Shipley than so be it, but he has been the best option.
This just isn’t an accurate statement.

Solar7

Go Suns
Reaction score
Shipley seems like a good dude and the kind of high-effort veteran that plenty of coaches really like. He doesn't have to be "horrible" for it to still be sensible to look elsewhere at the position, especially given that he'll be 34 next season. I would love for us to find someone young that could play there for years with our rookie QB, which seemed like a perfect time to start Cole.

Changing centers right when Murray should be hitting his stride is gonna be really annoying (talking about year 3/4, for clarity).

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
PicksFromDave