Murphy is TRASH!

clif

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Change my mind.

I cannot recall a rookie DB being beaten relentlessly and having some of the worst penalties at the worst times.

Finito

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Change my mind.

I cannot recall a rookie DB being beaten relentlessly and having some of the worst penalties at the worst times.

then you must not watch football cause it’s actually a lot more normal that they get torched than come out and dominate. The fail rate on DBs is pretty high.

I’m not worried about Murphy at all

dscher

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Hmm..needs more work..but tbf.. was he just a victim of bad scheme and positioning or poor technique? Maybe a little of both. Especially as a rook. Next year will be big for him. This was a good learning year for sure.

Jetstream Green

Kool Aid with a touch of vodka
Reaction score
Change my mind.

I can, that's called Brandon Williams. If you look at the whole season, he has been serviceable which says a lot for a rookie but I do not think he's a potential number one. He's physical coming up to tackle and should naturally have some maturation going forward, though because of his size was not too enthused with his selection so early in the draft thinking he was limited to a slot corner but I think he has more use now

OP
OP
clif

clif

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
I can, that's called Brandon Williams. If you look at the whole season, he has been serviceable which says a lot for a rookie but I do not think he's a potential number one. He's physical coming up to tackle and should naturally have some maturation going forward, though because of his size was not too enthused with his selection so early in the draft thinking he was limited to a slot corner but I think he has more use now

haha. You got me with Brandon Williams.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
What worries me more than his play is that bluto ranked him, what, 6th in the whole draft?

he’s not as good as I’d hoped early in the season, but he’s physical, not afraid, and will hopefully improve.

my biggest concern is that this defensive backfield has no ballhawks.

Jetstream Green

Kool Aid with a touch of vodka
Reaction score
What worries me more than his play is that bluto ranked him, what, 6th in the whole draft?

he’s not as good as I’d hoped early in the season, but he’s physical, not afraid, and will hopefully improve.

Right now, it looks like we have a bunch of strong safeties and no free safeties which have ball hawking skills

bojack

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
His draft prospect was a 5.9 out of 10 and Keim really had him as 6th best player in the draft? Insane. It was even a reach at 33rd overall IMO.

But I don't think he has done terrible for a rookie. I they drafted him to be a nickleback and seems like he would be better suited there covering the slot than cornerback.

SoonerLou

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
His draft prospect was a 5.9 out of 10 and Keim really had him as 6th best player in the draft? Insane. It was even a reach at 33rd overall IMO.

But I don't think he has done terrible for a rookie. I they drafted him to be a nickleback and seems like he would be better suited there covering the slot than cornerback.

Murphy just doesn't seem twitchy enough to be a star.. However, I can see him being solid. The problem is it looks like we passed up guys with real star potential.

Murphy is the Christian Kirk of DBs. Love the effort and fight...just not dynamic enough to be special.

Veer

All Star
Reaction score
Just like Kirk at WR, Murphy at CB makes a great #3. A decent #2 in the right scheme, and possibly a great one with some more experience. Can't see Kirk or Murphy turning into a legit #1. They are abouth what you should expect from a 2nd round pick. Certainly not busts, which is already a positive considering Keim's draf history. I'm happy with both.

wit3card

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
I don't know what you want more from a 2nd round Rookie CB.

In a league where you have to play WR on every snap that you face probably once on every second team in college you can't expect a Rookie CB to be a star, look PP21 took 3 seasons to start to be a shut down CB, Sherman needed 3 years as well, hence only a handfull of CB make it in the first two years and most of them are never shut down or star CB in all there career.

Murphy showed he can be a good to great nickle CB and maybe a okay to really good #2 that is more that is everything you can hope for a 2nd rounder.

Kirk on the other hand, was disapointing this season to say the least, but again, his third O in as many years in the NFL.

TheCardFan

Things have changed.
Reaction score
I remember people with the same complaints about taking a guy named Budda in the 2nd rd. That has turned out ok. :)

Bkbobo

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
I think he is a situation of circumstance. When he was drafted, they had plans to bring in slow (slot CB). Then he was thrusted into being the 1 or 1A corner back. Though he struggled at times, he shows potential. I think once Alford is back and Murphy can move back to the slot CB role, he will develop just fine. He will learn from this experience.

Reddog

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Great tackler. This experience and another good outside corner will do wonders for this kid. Sone posts in this thread will be referenced in future posts.

PJ1

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Had a bad day yesterday for sure. Never looks back for the ball. Liked him earlier in the year more than later. He can tackle but we need someone that can cover. Will see how he develops next year.

Cardiac

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Don't forget about hitting the rookie wall as well. He was far better earlier in the season but still got beat more than the #6 prospect in the entire draft. That's for you Ouchie but I'm still not firing Keim this year :)

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
Murphy just doesn't seem twitchy enough to be a star.. However, I can see him being solid. The problem is it looks like we passed up guys with real star potential.

Murphy is the Christian Kirk of DBs. Love the effort and fight...just not dynamic enough to be special.
Yeah if he’s the Christian Kirk of cbs is kinda a miss imo. Your first and second rounders need to at least sometimes be impact players. If they’re all just average at their position you’ve got an average team.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sarahmoose