Suns @ Warriors Friday game thread 12-27-19

TJ

Frank Kaminsky is my Hero.
Reaction score
Monty is having an awful night. Sat Booker too long into the 4th quarter, had his players play faster after committing nearly 30 turnovers, and not switching up his defense when they’re just running a layup line inside.

What a G-D circus.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
F this team. The beginning of the season was a total mirage based on crazy unsustainable shooting by guys like baynes and carter and TJ. A return to normalcy returns this team to the same winning percentage they’ve had the last two seasons. James jones has done nothing.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
Back to being embarrassed to be a suns fan. Sarver sucks (just thought I’d throw that in for good measure).

Proximo

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Well after this game, I have no idea when they are going to win again.

Booker finally shows up again, and nobody else does.

I am just disgusted.

1Sun

ASFN Addict
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
One thing that seems to be overlooked in terms of the way James Jones has built this roster. In addition to being horribly unathletic, James Jones's acquisitions outside of Baynes are extraordinarily soft. A bunch of nice guys (see Saric, Kaminsky, Rubio, Cam, Jerome) who do not have any edge to their play. I think this make-up is starting to show...

elindholm

edited for content
Reaction score
F this team. The beginning of the season was a total mirage based on crazy unsustainable shooting by guys like baynes and carter and TJ. A return to normalcy returns this team to the same winning percentage they’ve had the last two seasons. James jones has done nothing.

Each player is being asked more than they can realistically do. Booker is probably a #2 and is trying to be a #1. Oubre, one or two notches lower. Saric is a bench player trying to be a starter. Baynes and Kaminsky are end-of-rotation guys trying to play important minutes. The whole team is being forced into roles for which they simply aren't qualified, except maybe Rubio, but his inability to stay healthy cancels that out.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Final:

Warriors 105 - Suns 96

Suns losing streak now at 8 games.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Well after this game, I have no idea when they are going to win again.

Booker finally shows up again, and nobody else does.

I am just disgusted.

he didn't show up in the 4th quarter down the stretch... which is becoming a disturbing pattern.

it's much more difficult actually being clutch when the game means something in the grand scheme of things. not nearly as tough when you're 15-47 and in a close game where if you hit the shot, you still ain't smelling the playoffs.

1Sun

ASFN Addict
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Each players is being asked more than they can realistically do. Booker is probably a #2 and is trying to be a #1. Oubre, one or two notches lower. Saric is a bench player trying to be a starter. Baynes and Kaminsky are end-of-rotation guys trying to play important minutes. The whole team is being forced into roles for which they simply aren't qualified, except maybe Rubio, but his inability to stay healthy cancels that out.

So...what does that say for James Jones as a GM?...

TJ

Reaction score
I’m trading everyone not named Booker or Ayton tomorrow.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Warriors outscore the Suns by 21 points in the 4th quarter.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
Each players is being asked more than they can realistically do. Booker is probably a #2 and is trying to be a #1. Oubre, one or two notches lower. Saric is a bench player trying to be a starter. Baynes and Kaminsky are end-of-rotation guys trying to play important minutes. The whole team is being forced into roles for which they simply aren't qualified, except maybe Rubio, but his inability to stay healthy cancels that out.
Yup they played above their heads for awhile and reality settled in. Oubre is a 4th banana. Booker definitely a 2nd banana. A good one, but definitely a 2nd. Rubio is a starter but his injuries and shooting weakness can’t lift a team this weak. And then there’s Ayton. Man I was loving this tram for its grit and now, now I can’t stomach them.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
One thing I noticed when the Warriors extended their defense to take control of the game they didn't use Oubre as a cutter to the basket. They were putting him in the corner to spread the court. This isn't using him most effectively.

TJ

Reaction score
Warriors outscore the Suns by 21 points in the 4th quarter.

The minute Golden State showed momentum, Monty should’ve thrown Booker back in there. We were lucky to be up double digits with as many turnovers as we had, so it was only inevitable that GSW took advantage in the 4th.

Also, Oubre is either a great player, or an awful player, and when he’s awful, he does nothing of value to compensate on the floor. He just keeps pushing the issue, such as forcing contested outside jumpers.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It has to be a season high 26 turnovers by the Suns. Warriors only had 10.

That's the ball game right there.

JerkFace

(Formerly offset) i have a special purpose
Reaction score
Ugh... worse loss of the season imo. There was an offensive play around the 8 minute mark of the 4th quarter, as things were spiraling down, when Rubio was just dribbling down the shot clock at the top off the key. It was like they knew that they were going to blow it and they were just hoping and praying that the game would hurry up and end before they had a chance to choke it away.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The minute Golden State showed momentum, Monty should’ve thrown Booker back in there. We were lucky to be up double digits with as many turnovers as we had, so it was only inevitable that GSW took advantage in the 4th.

Also, Oubre is either a great player, or an awful player, and when he’s awful, he does nothing of value to compensate on the floor. He just keeps pushing the issue, such as forcing contested outside jumpers.

We agree the Suns lost momentum with Booker on the bench.

I don't think the Suns make the best use of Oubre when they stick him in the corner on offense. It's like wasting an asset because he is not a pure shooter.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
so... who we looking at in college to be the next savior that we'll all be disappointed by if we get to draft him?

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
the sad reality is that if this team is ever even going to be even mediocre (much less good), Booker and Ayton will need to be 2nd and 3rd bananas because neither of them has what it takes to be a true blue #1 Alpha Dog, IMO.

Booker's got the grit, but not the athleticism to completely control a game at either side of the court. And Ayton's got the athleticism with none of the grit to do the same.

If those are you're two main building blocks moving forwards, your team is a castle made of sand.