Coaching Changes Under Review

Harry

ASFN Consultant and Senior Writer
Reaction score
In a move I’ve never seen with a game to play, KK has told the press he has a meeting scheduled with Keim to discuss potential coaching changes, according to The Athletic. This wouldn’t seem to make any sense if Keim is leaving. Though these meeting are typically held at season end I’d be mad if I were a coach with a game to play yet. This indicates KK still has some political personnel treatment growth to accomplish. This was an announcement that could have waited.

Joseph & his staff would likely be the focus, but I’ll still insist Keim gave him very little with which to work. There is a chance a few offensive position coaches will be considered. The line coach should be given a huge raise. I’m stunned what he’s done with this group. Keeping him might well impact draft strategy. I’m not as confident in the WRs growth this season. Frankly no one but Cooper seemed to move forward significantly. Special teams looked competent.

I’m not certain I’d make any changes. Learning yet another defensive scheme could slow growth. To me the defense has improved despite clear personnel gaps. The question isn’t did the defense play effectively. You have to ask if these players played below their historical talent. I just haven’t seen much of that.

TJ

Frank Kaminsky is my Hero.
Reaction score
Yeah, I cant see there being any significant changes next season, with the exception of maybe a position coach or two. While Keim should be fired due to his poor decision making and loss of autonomy in making key decisions, he’s coming back. You just hope he makes more Kenyan Drake decisions than Andy Is-A-Bust-A ones. VJ is safe I think because of the last two games and the glimmer of hope. I dont think Bidwill wants to be paying the salaries for three DCs in one year (Holcomb, VJ, new DC) and will look for reasons to keep him on board.

These two targeted individuals need to help each other out next season. Keim needs to stock the cupboards better with talent. D-Line talent is non-existent and our depth at safety is pretty crappy. We also cant have a guy like Joe Walker playing considerable snaps. VJ also needs to do a better job coaching up his team. In the past two games, there were a number of instances where the communication, namely in the secondary, was poor. It’s the end of the season and they are having issues communicating who covers who in the secondary and where everyone needs to line up.

From my vantage point, there’s not a lot of confidence heading into 2020 that significant improvements will be made or that the defense will magically go from 32nd in the league to even average.

TJ

Frank Kaminsky is my Hero.
Reaction score
I think we all need to take our medicine and accept the fact that Keim is going to be back next year.

It’s pretty much sealed that he’s coming back. This from Jay Glazer, who is nails, from his mailbag last Friday

Do you think the Cardinals move forward with or without GM Steve Keim? —Gary W.

With. Steve got their coach, he got their quarterback. He vibes with both. He’s already built a winner there and he’s going to be able to get the types of players Kliff Kingsbury wants to be able to build that roster. I think they are going to be very successful over the next several years.

https://theathletic.com/1476969/201...l-fallout-for-the-pats/?source=shared-article

BullheadCardFan

Go for it
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The line coach should be given a huge raise. I’m stunned what he’s done with this group. Keeping him might well impact draft strategy. t.
+1

The Oline has grown together and played better, but some of the players need upgrades. The coach has done a really good job with what he has.

Center needs to be one of the young guys to earn. They give up a lot of pressure and have little push on run plays except the last few games.

Joseph & his staff would likely be the focus, but I’ll still insist Keim gave him very little with which to work.
I'm still not sold on VJ even though the D played better the last 2 games. I'm taking the whole season into consideration when making the decision to replace him. It depends on if there is an upgrade available.

b8rtm8nn

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Showing Bill Davis the door immediately improves the defense/staff.

These are the types of changes I think KK is referring to, you bring in a bunch of coaches at every level and a few will not work out. Even on the offensive side, this is probably the case.

Hoodhero

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Its going to be diffcult to fire your linebackers coach when one of his charges is playing @ all time great level.

b8rtm8nn

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
WR coach?:shrug:

I think we are good at WR coach, Raih is always close by and Sullivan is highly regarded. I was thinking more of Clements, as a possibility. Not that a coach would be 'bad' but just not a fit with the staff.

Look at this film review article and Kingsbury gives full credit to three coaches for play design, I think he expects that type of creative thinking PLUS good positional coaching PLUS good communication with the other coaches. The defense seems to be adapting, but it may not be with full participation of all the coaches.

Not saying this is true, just my opinion based on managing groups.

As an aside, we talk about the receivers not improving, but we have two castoffs (Cooper/Byrd), an aging vet, and a bunch with 1-2 years experience (all small too) with a new offense and a rookie QB that isn't using many timing routes (too advanced) and has shown that he throws conservatively. The expectations for that group should be pretty low.

PJ1

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Also thought this was an odd thing to say with a game left. Show some respect for your coaches.

b8rtm8nn

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Also thought this was an odd thing to say with a game left. Show some respect for your coaches.

Meh, I think the coaches that don't fit already are thinking of leaving. Everyone knows these jobs are year to year.

JeffGollin

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I don't care whom we bring in/so long as it means improvement over the guys we've got.

My hope is that any coach we sign is a lights-out individual. If not, why bother?

Cardsfaninlouky

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
In a move I’ve never seen with a game to play, KK has told the press he has a meeting scheduled with Keim to discuss potential coaching changes, according to The Athletic. This wouldn’t seem to make any sense if Keim is leaving. Though these meeting are typically held at season end I’d be mad if I were a coach with a game to play yet. This indicates KK still has some political personnel treatment growth to accomplish. This was an announcement that could have waited.

Joseph & his staff would likely be the focus, but I’ll still insist Keim gave him very little with which to work. There is a chance a few offensive position coaches will be considered. The line coach should be given a huge raise. I’m stunned what he’s done with this group. Keeping him might well impact draft strategy. I’m not as confident in the WRs growth this season. Frankly no one but Cooper seemed to move forward significantly. Special teams looked competent.

I’m not certain I’d make any changes. Learning yet another defensive scheme could slow growth. To me the defense has improved despite clear personnel gaps. The question isn’t did the defense play effectively. You have to ask if these players played below their historical talent. I just haven’t seen much of that.
You interpreted it just as I did. Although he didn't word it "potential coaching changes" there is that possibility for change. He said they would sit down & be "brutally honest about each position group" on the staff, coaching wise. Being brutally honest sounds like there needs to be some change to me? Otherwise he wouldn't have worded it like that imo. He said him & SK are out in the open & upfront with one another but MB has the final say. Can't see MB disagreeing with them if they feel strongly about a player or coach. Just my 2 cents worth.

CardNots

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Thinking VJ will be replaced with someone who aligns with KK’s mental approach to the game. If KK is not learning from VJ he is not an asset at this point in his career. Did VJ make the cut decisions on defense or was that kK or maybe Keim?

Cardsfaninlouky

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Thinking VJ will be replaced with someone who aligns with KK’s mental approach to the game. If KK is not learning from VJ he is not an asset at this point in his career. Did VJ make the cut decisions on defense or was that kK or maybe Keim?
That part is hard to know. I would think the cuts were more on VJ, then agreed upon by SK & KK. Just my opinion, they seem to not say much about the true reasons players are cut. That part is good, throwing players under the bus, even after doing stupid things & being cancers in the locker room, may keep players from wanting to sign with us? My hope is they do their homework on any player they want to draft or sign before doing so? Otherwise it will be too big of a chance to take. We already have too much dead cap money as it is from the past few seasons. Do your homework SK, ask every question you can about said player, no need to sign or draft them & find out later they are bad eggs.

Zeem_Freeze

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Its a results based business. I like the idea of trying to address weak spots...BA could have used more of that mentality.
Right? people complaining KK shoulda waited till end of the year to say that.

It wasn’t earth shattering material, barely more profound than saying the sun will rise in the east tomorrow.

What’s the fear? A positional coach on the hotseat will mail it in and not try this week? Ok good riddance then, you just made our job easier.

Proximo

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

I saw this press conference. He was straight asked if he planned any coaching hire changes. All he said was that they would discuss it after the year - not that he planned on making any.

But - yes it is 100% clear to me Keim is going to still have his job for next season.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Beagleperson