WR needs? Are you kidding me?

Zeem_Freeze

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
We need a WR #1.

This draft has many of them. If we get one, great. If we don’t, we better have drafted DL.

Dr. Jones

Has No Time For Love
Reaction score
Do you know who would look really good in this offense?

John Brown

Quick, smart, runs good routes and hasn't missed a game since he left here.

#keimtime
I'm so happy for Smoke. I actually think Arians ran him out of town with his schtick.

But I could just be projecting. Not sure JB wanted to come back.

Dayman

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
That’d be nice if he didn’t have a condition that prevented him from playing here.
Brown still insists it was an undiagnosed cyst on his back that sidelined him and not the sickle cell. And since he has only missed 2 games outside of 2017, including in his previous 3 seasons in AZ, I don't think his word should be completely discounted.

Also, while the altitude in Denver has been a huge issue for other players who carry the sickle cell trait, those same players have shown they can manage their symptoms in the heat or cold.

The situation with Brown was one of a string of odd personnel issues this team had at the end of BA's tenure. Maybe the issue with Brown was solely about his sickle cell traits, but I am still skeptical.

Cbus cardsfan

Back to Back ASFN FFL Champion
Reaction score
AJ Brown was my favorite WR in the draft. I also was liking McLaurin and Metcalf. Isabella was a wasted pick and was at the time he was selected.

Matt L

formerly known as mattyboy
Reaction score
Look at the 49ers 1st rounders the last several years.2015 SF drafrted 17th and picked Arik Armstead DL.2016 SF drafted 7th picked Deforest Buckner DE-DT,2017 SF draftyed 3rd picked Solomon Thomas DE,2018 drafted 9th and picked Mike McGlinchey T-G,2019 drafted 2nd and picked Nick Bosa DE who is going to the Pro-Bowl as a starter .
SF missed on Josh Garrett OG2016 and Rueben Foster who is suspended I think.Still SF was picking in the area of the round that the Cardsw frequently end up and SF drafted to fix the DLine 1st and the OLINE.They fixed the trenches first.....SF records was 5-11 in 2015,2-14 in 2016,6-10 in 2017,4-12 in 2018 ,12-3 in 2019 so far.Seems like something the Cards might want to consider before drafting another WR in RD 1.Fix the damn trenches.

My math may be wrong but that looks like a total record of 17-37 over 4 seasons.

Are you advocating for the team to post two more seasons of losing records to "fix" the lines?

Jetstream Green

Kool Aid with a touch of vodka
Reaction score
Thoughts on getting Amari Cooper in FA?

No, he's like a one trick pony and at times exhibits a lack of getting separation on intermediate routes along with his nagging injuries making his availability iffy when you need to count on him... for the money he's going to ask for, his consistency of production is not worth our money

Solar7

Go Suns
Reaction score
But why? Why doesn’t Bill Bidwill accept that SK has failed terribly with 90% of the daft picks and free agent signings over the last 5 years?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I agree, the dumbest thing we could have done was hitch our wagon to this guy, but now that we have five wins and a tie, there’s some improvement, and I just don’t think Mike wants to move on.

I get it in a way, I have loyalty to some people I’ve worked with that aren’t the most productive, but it can suck as a fan. Keim’s been with the org forever. It’s hard to cut ties with a guy like that.

Cardsfaninlouky

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
wasn’t Cooper cut and brought back this year? Hopefully they bring him back based on his performance thus far?

I think it will need to be based on his WR skills not return skills.
Yes, he was, went to the Bengals, then Kirk got hurt in the first game against Seattle, so we signed him back.

BW52

Registered
Reaction score
My math may be wrong but that looks like a total record of 17-37 over 4 seasons.

Are you advocating for the team to post two more seasons of losing records to "fix" the lines?

Not hardly.Get real.I am saying look how SF fixed the DLine with their 1st round picks and that the Cards should consider fixing the trenches before drafting another damned WR.

AZ Native

Living is Easy with Eyes Closed
Reaction score
But why? Why doesn’t Bill Bidwill accept that SK has failed terribly with 90% of the daft picks and free agent signings over the last 5 years?

I don't think you mean Bill Bidwill, since he is deceased and Michael has been running things for some time now. But the real nugget is "daft" picks. That was a gem. :cool:

tnmike

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Brown still insists it was an undiagnosed cyst on his back that sidelined him and not the sickle cell. And since he has only missed 2 games outside of 2017, including in his previous 3 seasons in AZ, I don't think his word should be completely discounted.

Also, while the altitude in Denver has been a huge issue for other players who carry the sickle cell trait, those same players have shown they can manage their symptoms in the heat or cold.

The situation with Brown was one of a string of odd personnel issues this team had at the end of BA's tenure. Maybe the issue with Brown was solely about his sickle cell traits, but I am still skeptical.
I had a cyst on my back and it didn't prevent me from playing pro football. It was the other issues like I couldn't run, throw, or catch.

GuernseyCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

Well, given that Bill assumed room temperature, he's not really in a position to accept or reject.

mojorizen7

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
I think i'd chill on a top WR pick and go trenches or pass rusher there instead. Murray needs playmakers. Austin Hooper would be a guy that could hit FA and really help on 3rd downs. He'll get PAID but would be IMO an excellent addition over bringing in an overpaid FA WR.

Zeem_Freeze

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Not hardly.Get real.I am saying look how SF fixed the DLine with their 1st round picks and that the Cards should consider fixing the trenches before drafting another damned WR.
Do another example where a GM hits on all 4 first round picks 4 years in a row.... doesn’t exist

CardNots

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Yes, he was, went to the Bengals, then Kirk got hurt in the first game against Seattle, so we signed him back.

Sometimes its better to mention a known fact with a question invoking more thought on the merits of the statement quoted.

for your comment thank you as I was too lazy to look up the details:)

As Kliff tightens his grip on control I really believe there are very few starters or not who feel safe. This was the real worry about KK, will the film and eyeball observations transfer to the personnel decisions. When I hear what Kliff saw in Drake, makes me have hope for future drafts, trades, acquisitions and cuts. My next hope is the same principles applied on the coach appointments made without Kliff input if any.

keep in mind I said this without calling for heads, just sayin...

JeffGollin

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

Because maybe the WR's need another year, and are right where Kingsbury wants them on the learning curve.

I think most of our WRs look better now than they did at the beginning of the season. They just have to get healed and keep on grinding.

Cardsfaninlouky

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Sometimes its better to mention a known fact with a question invoking more thought on the merits of the statement quoted.

for your comment thank you as I was too lazy to look up the details:)

As Kliff tightens his grip on control I really believe there are very few starters or not who feel safe. This was the real worry about KK, will the film and eyeball observations transfer to the personnel decisions. When I hear what Kliff saw in Drake, makes me have hope for future drafts, trades, acquisitions and cuts. My next hope is the same principles applied on the coach appointments made without Kliff input if any.

keep in mind I said this without calling for heads, just sayin...
Heck, I'm not even sure if I quoted your post or not lol? Maybe I did? I quote so many that I forget sometimes. I was basically just answering a question as to what happened to Cooper, didn't feel a need to put any more thought into it. This team will look different next yr, how much different on offense is a good question really? The defense should look a whole lot different if SK does his job as he should? The DL is a mess & Jordan Hicks is fine at ILB, having said that, he doesn't cover well, not a TE anyway. Joe Walker played good Sunday but he isn't an answer at ILB imo, we need an upgrade for him. VJ said last week something interesting about Dionte Thompson. He said he has the length & speed to cover TE's but needs to work on his body. Bulk up basically. My question to that is this? Are they thinking about using him like Deon Buchanon? (Sp) BB already kind of does that. Maybe they're thinking about bulking him up & putting him in the place of Joe Walker? I think Nick Saban used him like that at times at Alabama? One thing is for sure, we need to fix the TE coverage problem for sure. Jalen Thompson is killing it right now so I'm excited to see him moving forward. I have no idea if they plan on trading PP or not? SK says "no way" but that could change? He's under contract for next season so time will tell. Whatever changes on offense that do happen, KK should get a say there. He knows what plays he can call with the personnel he currently has, & knows how much he can expand the playbook with what players he wants.

CardNots

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Heck, I'm not even sure if I quoted your post or not lol? Maybe I did? I quote so many that I forget sometimes. I was basically just answering a question as to what happened to Cooper, didn't feel a need to put any more thought intost week something interesting about Dionte Thompson. He said he has the length & speed to cover TE's but needs to work on his body. Bulk up basically.

we are good. I was referring to the person I was quoting who implied cooper was safe because of his return skills. I was basically telling them he had demonstrated those skills previously and was cut. Instead of saying that statement doesn’t hold water I posed him a question for which you answered.

i was pretty sure if Jalen was in the primary draft he would have been drafted before Dionte. Interesting slant on the future use of Dionte. I like both and think grabbing Jalen in the supplemental draft was a steal for a 5 spot pick.

Cardsfaninlouky

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
we are good. I was referring to the person I was quoting who implied cooper was safe because of his return skills. I was basically telling them he had demonstrated those skills previously and was cut. Instead of saying that statement doesn’t hold water I posed him a question for which you answered.

i was pretty sure if Jalen was in the primary draft he would have been drafted before Dionte. Interesting slant on the future use of Dionte. I like both and think grabbing Jalen in the supplemental draft was a steal for a 5 spot pick.
spot on my Cardinals brother. I was pissed off when they cut Cooper in the first place. There's not a better return man on this team than him. He doesn't seem to drop passes either. That being said, I think he is safe for the return abilities as that other poster said. They cut him after showing those skills in PS, only brought him back because of Kirk getting injured. Now that he is back, I think he's shown enough to stay? But what do I know lol? Jalen Thompson would've been drafted higher imo, just as you said. His future is bright. He lays the wood now & is flying to the ball.

CardNots

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
spot on my Cardinals brother. I was pissed off when they cut Cooper in the first place. There's not a better return man on this team than him. He doesn't seem to drop passes either. That being said, I think he is safe for the return abilities as that other poster said. They cut him after showing those skills in PS, only brought him back because of Kirk getting injured. Now that he is back, I think he's shown enough to stay? But what do I know lol? Jalen Thompson would've been drafted higher imo, just as you said. His future is bright. He lays the wood now & is flying to the ball.

I think cooper is clutch and he has shown this since re- joining the team. I have been impressed with his WR skills.

But I didn’t cut him the first time and the person who did is still holding court.

Cardsfaninlouky

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
I think cooper is clutch and he has shown this since re- joining the team. I have been impressed with his WR skills.

But I didn’t cut him the first time and the person who did is still holding court.
I wonder who had the main say on cutting him? I wouldn't think KK was behind it? He didn't show the offense in preseason but had to have seen his talent in practice. I'm sure you're right though, SK probably told KK that it was a numbers crunch & they had to cut him. I hope like hell they keep him? He's solid IMO & usually makes something out of nothing in the return game. I'm also hoping that Butler turns out to be a stud WR & not a wasted pick?

Cardsmasochist

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
I don't think you mean Bill Bidwill, since he is deceased and Michael has been running things for some time now. But the real nugget is "daft" picks. That was a gem. :cool:

haha...yeah need to proof read before I post. Michael not Bill and draft not daft. But, as you pointed out, maybe I DID mean daft pick!

RugbyMuffin

ASFN IDOL
Reaction score
I guess I am not "everyone" since I HATED the Isabella pick.

Sent from my mystical communication warp drive device thingy

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Beagleperson