Dbacks sign OF Kole Calhoun

Dback Jon

Killer Snail
Supporting Member
Reaction score
https://www.cbssports.com/fantasy/b...-kole-calhoun-reaches-deal-with-diamondbacks/

The financial terms of the deal have yet to be released. The 32-year-old rebounded from a rough 2018 campaign to hit a career-high 33 homers last season. His .232/.325/.467 slash line was good for a respectable 108 wRC+, but he'll have to keep his power numbers up if he's to remain a good fantasy option in 2020 as his batting average has remained low for three straight seasons. He lines up as Arizona's primary option in right field and should see quite a lot of playing time unless his numbers collapse again.

1Sun

ASFN Addict
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Another Steven Souza type. (Decent power, very poor contact and OBP.)

Yuck.

Ronin

…..
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Joshua Inman (@RoofNPanelsOpen)
12/24/19, 10:19 AM
Calhoun has been a consistently very good player for the Angels. He’s been worth at least 2 fWAR for the Angels in 5 of the past 6 seasons. Neither his bat nor glove is clearly great, but both are very good, and he’s been an underrated player being overshadowed by Trout

Ronin

…..
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Joshua Inman (@RoofNPanelsOpen)
12/24/19, 10:19 AM
Obviously his bat isn’t as strong as Castellanos’s and he’s older than Garcia, but I’d argue he’s a better fit for the D-backs than either, and he’ll be cheap enough to give them the ability to grab a CF and maybe a reliever

Lefty

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I was hoping they would sign Donaldson but this is a good signing.

82CardsGrad

7 x 70
Reaction score
Solid signing given the contract terms... As was noted, Calhoun has been largely underrated for most of his career. He should provide a solid fit in right field and, due to his friendly contract, will allow Hazen to go grab a CF or 2B... Hopefully it’s a CF.

dscher

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
With hazen in charge, I'm good with it.. method to the madness I'm sure.

1Sun

ASFN Addict
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Getting a number one pitcher and a starting right fielder for a total of 12 million in 2020 is pretty darn impressive.

Impressive value, but I don't consider Calhoun a legitimate full-time starter. More a platoon type, given his poor OBP.

GatorAZ

feed hopkins
Reaction score
Getting a number one pitcher and a starting right fielder for a total of 12 million in 2020 is pretty darn impressive.

Depends what else they do this year. Otherwise Madbam’s first year salary doesn’t have much significance and we’d be paying him more money when he’s older/less effective.

1Sun

ASFN Addict
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Depends what else they do this year. Otherwise Madbam’s first year salary doesn’t have much significance and we’d be paying him more money when he’s older/less effective.

Indeed. I don't mind Calhoun as a 4th outfielder or platoon starter, but they still need at least either a starting CF or starting 2B, someone to platoon with Calhoun, and some bullpen help.

outcent13

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Locastro is most likely the 4th outfielder, and I’m quite alright with that .

1Sun

ASFN Addict
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Locastro is most likely the 4th outfielder, and I’m quite alright with that .

Is Locastro still under contract? I thought the D-Backs had only signed him to a one year deal.

Even so, Locastro is more a fifth outfielder, super-utility type than someone to count on to start 60-80 games.

BC867

Long time Phoenician!
Reaction score
The very low batting average would scare me off, but most of you
think he can help the D-backs, so I'll hope for the best.

And not another all-or-nothing strikeout/pop-up/occasional blast/
LOB type of hitter.

outcent13

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Is Locastro still under contract? I thought the D-Backs had only signed him to a one year deal.

Even so, Locastro is more a fifth outfielder, super-utility type than someone to count on to start 60-80 games.
Locastro is under control until 2025 (could be wrong but I’m going off baseballreference.com)and he’s the perfect 4th outfielder. At this point I am not sure what player, that’s not a proven all star , would make you happy?

1Sun

ASFN Addict
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Locastro is under control until 2025 (could be wrong but I’m going off baseballreference.com)and he’s the perfect 4th outfielder. At this point I am not sure what player, that’s not a proven all star , would make you happy?

I wanted Marte, Garcia or Castellanos.