So...Does Drake get DJ $$ ??

WildBB

Yogi n da Bear
Reaction score
Drake’s salary push
Drake has refused to talk about his impending free agency, even after rushing for 137 yards and four touchdowns against the Browns. But Sunday, he let it be known that he expects to get paid.

Drake ran for two touchdowns, set a career high for a second consecutive week with 166 rushing yards, and after his first score, an 80-yard run, he performed the “secure the bag” end zone celebration by taking imaginary money out of a vault and putting it in a bag.

He also rubbed his thumbs and forefingers together in the universally known “pay me” gesture.

“I was just letting everybody know you got to run it up a little bit,” said Drake, adding that his girlfriend had told him he didn’t “come hard enough” in his end zone celebrations against the Browns.

HoodieBets

Formerly azcardsfan1616
Reaction score
Drake’s salary push
Drake has refused to talk about his impending free agency, even after rushing for 137 yards and four touchdowns against the Browns. But Sunday, he let it be known that he expects to get paid.

Drake ran for two touchdowns, set a career high for a second consecutive week with 166 rushing yards, and after his first score, an 80-yard run, he performed the “secure the bag” end zone celebration by taking imaginary money out of a vault and putting it in a bag.

He also rubbed his thumbs and forefingers together in the universally known “pay me” gesture.

“I was just letting everybody know you got to run it up a little bit,” said Drake, adding that his girlfriend had told him he didn’t “come hard enough” in his end zone celebrations against the Browns.

Drake is not going to get more than Mark Ingram got with Baltimore last year which is $5 mil a year. The only RBs who are going to make bank this offseason are Derrick Henry and Melvin Gordon.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
OP
WildBB

WildBB

Yogi n da Bear
Reaction score
He will get 6 to 7mm per IMO. Maybe 8mm in year one.

We shouldn't pay that much.
That'd be all I go. But to be honest from what I'm hearing from him, he'll hit FA.

I'd turn away if he demands another DJ contract. And 10m per isn't out of the realm of possibility there. But to get that he'd need to test the waters, imo. Maybe that's what happens here.

TJ

Frank Kaminsky is my Hero.
Reaction score
He's going to be 26 and will likely ask for a five-year extension. His current value is $5.3, per OTC

https://overthecap.com/player/kenyan-drake/4786/

Could see him asking for a 5-year $30 million deal, probably $20 million guaranteed to get his money beyond the magical age of 30.

slanidrac16

ASFN Icon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I’m not sure why everyone believes teams are going to throw 10-15 mil at him based on the small window of work.

Sign him with a nice gauranteed signing bonus with incentives and that might do it.

Look no further than Mark Ingram. As effective as he was with the Saints he got less than I thought he would get when he signed with the Ravens.

slanidrac16

ASFN Icon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I’m not sure why everyone believes teams are going to throw 10-15 mil at him based on the small window of work.

Sign him with a nice gauranteed signing bonus with incentives and that might do it.

Look no further than Mark Ingram. As effective as he was with the Saints he got less than I thought he would get when he signed with the Ravens.
He's going to be 26 and will likely ask for a five-year extension. His current value is $5.3, per OTC

https://overthecap.com/player/kenyan-drake/4786/

Could see him asking for a 5-year $30 million deal, probably $20 million guaranteed to get his money beyond the magical age of 30.
I was thinking 4 years about 25m with 15 gauranteed before I saw your post.

OP
OP
WildBB

WildBB

Yogi n da Bear
Reaction score

Drakes alot younger and less wear and tear overall.

If he's currently 5.3 per he's gonna be seeking in the range of 8m per to start with, and 24m guaranteed. Just my guess.

Southpaw

Provocateur aka Wallyburger
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Drake is not going to get more than Mark Ingram got with Baltimore last year which is $5 mil a year. The only RBs who are going to make bank this offseason are Derrick Henry and Melvin Gordon.

Couldn't disagree more about Gordon. Nothing special.

I also suspect Drake won't give the Cards a home town deal or even sign with them. He goes elsewhere. K K offense does not need a big $$$ running back. Cards are stuck with D J or a part of his contract if he does get traded for a bag of magic beans.

wa52lz

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Jerick McKinnon's contract seems reasonable for Drake....

4 year, $30,000,000 contract with the San Francisco 49ers, including a $2,000,000 signing bonus, $18,000,000 guaranteed, and an average annual salary of $7,500,000. In 2019, McKinnon will earn a base salary of $3,700,000 and a workout bonus of $50,000, while carrying a cap hit of $5,750,000 and a dead cap value of $9,750,000.

First year cap hit $6.5. Out after two years with $4 million in dead money and $4.5 savings and after 3yrs $2 million dead and $7.2 savings.
https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/san-francisco-49ers/jerick-mckinnon-14507/

Proximo

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

Wanna bet?

He is gonna get 8 mil minimum

OP
OP
WildBB

WildBB

Yogi n da Bear
Reaction score

4 year, $30,000,000 contract with the San Francisco 49ers, including a $2,000,000 signing bonus, $18,000,000 guaranteed, and an average annual salary of $7,500,000. In 2019, McKinnon will earn a base salary of $3,700,000 and a workout bonus of $50,000, while carrying a cap hit of $5,750,000 and a dead cap value of $9,750,000.

First year cap hit $6.5. Out after two years with $4 million in dead money and $4.5 savings and after 3yrs $2 million dead and $7.2 savings.
Seems very back loaded. He's been injured this year, correct? It'll be interesting how that deal plays out.

Cardinals may have to go with an incentive contract based on PERFORMANCE.

Last edited:

wa52lz

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Seems very back loaded. He's been injured this year, correct? It'll be interesting how that deal plays out.

Cardinals may have to go with an incentive contract based on PERFORMANCE.
Yes he was out this year. Cant see the 49ers bringing him back next year at $8.5 million, they save $4.5 by cutting him and have Coleman, $4.9, and Mostert, $3.2, on the book for next year.

Jetstream Green

Kool Aid with a touch of vodka
Reaction score
No back really deserves that kind of money unless they are a rare freak like Adrian Peterson, but Drake deserves it more than DJ by the way he played fighting for yards... treating the 'wow' yards just as significant as the tough yardage which means we can win

cardpa

Have a Nice Day!
Reaction score
Drake is going to hit the open market, of that I have no doubt. He'd be a fool not to. See what the market offers. I also don't see him waiting for the Cardinals to match an offer as he has no real loyalty to the team. I can see some team offering him somewhere in the neighborhood of $6-8 million over 4-5 years with $20-25 million guaranteed. I guess the question teams really need to ask themselves is his time in Arizona an illusion or a result of the system he played in. During his time in Miami he was never able to distinguish himself as the primary back in their offense and now he is the focus of the running attack in AZ. His YPC is 4.8 which is more than favorable yet why didn't this allow for his rise to number one status in Miami?

The trade to AZ due to the injuries to Johnson and Edmonds gave him a chance to showcase his abilities and let us not forget it's a contract year for him with free agency beckoning. Had Johnson and Edmonds not been injured would we have seen the results we all have seen during his tenure in AZ? Fact is he probably would have still be in Miami if not for the injuries and lack of talent left on the roster as the trade would not have been a necessity.

slanidrac16

ASFN Icon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Drakes alot younger and less wear and tear overall.

If he's currently 5.3 per he's gonna be seeking in the range of 8m per to start with, and 24m guaranteed. Just my guess.
I should have said 10-15 per year ala leveon bell money.

slanidrac16

ASFN Icon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Wanna bet?

He is gonna get 8 mil minimum
We can’t let 2 or 3m a year stop us from signing him because of DJ’s contract. DJ might be gone by the start of next season but at worse he’s gone in 2021.

Drake has sparked this offense with his hard nose running, speed, yards after contact, blocking and to some extent , receiving.

do we really want to take a step backward going into next year? Do we really think just draft a kid in the third or fourth round and we’ll be fine? Is a rookie going to pick up the offense without risking Kyler’s health?

Figure it out and retain this guy. Love the Drake!

AZman5103

Hall of Famer
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
I would be willing to pay him 5-7 million per...(4 years 25 million)
If he wants more than that I would roll with Chase Edmonds and draft someone in the later rounds.

Drake's biggest plus is that he hits the hole hard and fights for yards. That is exactly what you would get out of a young back like Edmonds or a late round rookie.

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Except McKinnon's contract is exactly why Drake shouldn't get a similar one. He has not had a single carry since the 49ers paid him all that money. He never rushed for even 600 yards in Minnesota but people thought he was a star in the making so the Niners massively overpaid him. Drake's year this year is better than McKinnon's last was but Drake has 444 carries in his entire NFL career and was injury plagued in college. I can see 5 million per, anybody paying more than that is taking a big risk