Seattle game saves Vance Joseph's job

az jam

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
IMO the wins against the Browns and now the Seahawks most likely has saved Vance Jospeh's job as DC.
I'm OK with that as the argument on him was his coaching versus lack of talent. The defense is playing better now especially Patrick Peterson which certainly helps. Improve the defense in the off season and bring VJ back for another year. Changing DC's every year is not a good move.

PACardsFan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Think he was already safe. If anything it helped save Kiem's job, but he was probably safe already too.

I think they were both safe. You can't continue to make wholesale changes every year & expect good results. I'm not 100% sold on VJ, but he did come into a very difficult situation. Kudos to him for having that side of the ball ready to play yesterday. I'm normally a "get the best draft pick possible guy", but beating Carroll is too much fun to watch. Upset with the Murray hammy issue, but Hundley was prepared to win that game. Hell, kudos to the entire team. You have to go back to 2015 to see a Cardinal team play that well!!

Totally_Red

Air Raid Warning!
Reaction score
Yup! He is safe regardless of what happens in L.A.

I really must commend Steve Keim and CKK for putting together a solid group of assistants. Loved the way
the special teams coach Jeff Rogers took aside Zeke Turner after he committed the costly penalty on the punt return that wiped out a TD. This may be the best
Cardinals coaching staff from top to bottom in the last 25 years. Thanks Michael for opening up the checkbook! :clapping:

AZCrazy

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
That's a learned skill with a new coach, like your first few weeks on any job. Observe, adjust, refine, and improve. I wouldn't mind seeing the defensive coaches work with an NFL caliber roster next year.
Just get us one impact down lineman and anyone who can cover a TE, and we'll compete for 10 wins next year. Especially if the offense improves as well in growing into the new system together.

bojack

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Think he was already safe. If anything it helped save Kiem's job, but he was probably safe already too.

One win against a quality opponent this season changes the narrative? Browns did the same thing to the Ravens earlier in the year and I doubt they are looking through rose colored glasses right now.

All the underachievers in the org benefit from insanely low expectations.

swagron

All Star
Reaction score
One win against a quality opponent this season changes the narrative? Browns did the same thing to the Ravens earlier in the year and I doubt they are looking through rose colored glasses right now.

You are correct. But everyone coming back will come to fruition. SB next year baby!

Cardiac

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

I don't agree with premise that one game or even two game make or break a coach or player for that matter. It's a season long evaluation.... IMO

I think that we have to consider the circumstances that VJ has dealt with and the fact that although it has taken too long for the D to become decent to good the fact is that they have improved.

Many have posted the bad luck losses of personnel that VJ had to deal with and that one of our super stars didn't start playing well until the past two weeks.

It has taken VJ most of the season to figure out how best to use the spare parts he ended up with and maximize the quality players he does have. I recall it took about half the season for BA to get his offense up and running for real his first year and we had more talent on the O then than we do on the D now.

I agree that just about every team (no matter how bad) has a surprise good game or two every year and that shouldn't sway ones judgement on the coaches or players. It seems to me that we are seeing what VJ's and his staff is capable of and that's a positive.

Cardiac

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

I don't agree with premise that one game or even two game make or break a coach or player for that matter. It's a season long evaluation.... IMO

I think that we have to consider the circumstances that VJ has dealt with and the fact that although it has taken too long for the D to become decent to good the fact is that they have improved.

Many have posted the bad luck losses of personnel that VJ had to deal with and that one of our super stars didn't start playing well until the past two weeks.

It has taken VJ most of the season to figure out how best to use the spare parts he ended up with and maximize the quality players he does have. I recall it took about half the season for BA to get his offense up and running for real his first year and we had more talent on the O then than we do on the D now.

I agree that just about every team (no matter how bad) has a surprise good game or two every year and that shouldn't sway ones judgement on the coaches or players. It seems to me that we are seeing what VJ's and his staff is capable of and that's a positive.

Cardiac

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

Cardiac

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

Cardiac

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

Cardsfaninlouky

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
IMO the wins against the Browns and now the Seahawks most likely has saved Vance Jospeh's job as DC.
I'm OK with that as the argument on him was his coaching versus lack of talent. The defense is playing better now especially Patrick Peterson which certainly helps. Improve the defense in the off season and bring VJ back for another year. Changing DC's every year is not a good move.
Imo VJ & SK were both safe. SK is buddies with MB & as long as fans are showing up, or he does something stupid again (DUI) he ain't going anywhere? You can hear it in the voice of KK, when asked a few weeks back about VJ's job. I don't remember his exact words but they were of a positive nature, basically, he ain't going anywhere. I've been down on VJ for a good bit now, but the last 2 games they've played well, he simplified the defense. Now guys have been communicating as to whom to cover, flying to the ball & making plays. PP said the other day he now gets the defense. Understands the techniques on different coverages that have been changed since training camp. Maybe PP is now relating those techniques to other DB's? Something has happened for sure. They damn sure wasn't getting it 3 games ago & before. There seemed to be 5 guys around the ball on every tackle Sunday. JT & BB were knocking the $#/+ out of guys. Kerr looked good, Walker looked good, Chris Jones looked good, even Reddick looked better. Simplifying the defense has helped, I can't figure out why VJ didn't do this earlier? Guys seem to know their responsibilities now & just fly to the ball, without over thinking what they're supposed to do. The FO knows we need better personnel on defense & want continuity. We can't keep changing DC's. All that being said, I look at the whole body of work, the entire season, not just the last few games. We've sucked all yr basically. Continuity..............players see the defense now working & come back next season thinking "I know this defense & it works". As opposed to "same ole defense that doesn't work". Changes their whole mindset if they start the season with something they are familiar with & know it works. We are currently 31st in total defense, just ahead of the Dolphins. If we get blown out by the Rams again, whatever confidence the players have gained in the last few games may be lost? VJ will be back IMO, whether we like it or not.

Cardsfaninlouky

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Alford is not better than Murphy.
The SB Falcons version of Alford most definitely is better than Murphy. Will we ever see that Alford again? Broken foot cost us that opportunity so we wait till next season. Alford dealt with nagging injuries the whole season after the Falcons SB run, that's why he was released imo. Murphy is a rookie & younger obviously, probably has more upside considering his age? Alford made plays that yr during the Falcons SB run that I've yet to see Murphy make. Time will tell. Murphy isn't afraid to tackle, he definitely has the leg up on Alford in that category. I will tell you this. It's a damn shame we didn't get to see this team with a healthy Alford, Gilbert & Butler. Plus Philon pulling a gun on a stripper, so stupid. With all those players on this team, I could see maybe 3-4 more wins. Hell, without them we could've won at least 4-5 more. Play or two here or there.