Cardinals Trade for RB Kenyan Drake

football karma

Happy in the pretense of knowledge
Reaction score
I get the feeling he wants more money than his market value. Did you see the TD celebrations?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

he is a third round draft pick

this contract is likely his only chance to make life changing money playing football

i dont blame him for asking for every $ he can ask for

az jam

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Lots of good RBs in free agency besides Drake:
Melvin Gordon
Austin Ekeler
Justin Howard
Carlos Hyde
Derrick Henry
Karem Hunt
Matt Breida

BurqueCardFan

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Melvin Gordon
Austin Ekeler
Justin Howard
Carlos Hyde
Derrick Henry
Karem Hunt
Matt Breida

I agree that this system is what makes these backs look good. As much as I'd like to keep Drake, I don't think we should overpay. The worst part about that list is that Karem Hunt would be a perfect back in this system but I wouldn't want him because his off field past. Either of the SD backs would be good if the price was reasonable.

itlnsunsfan

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Melvin Gordon
Austin Ekeler
Justin Howard
Carlos Hyde
Derrick Henry
Karem Hunt
Matt Breida

Howard, Hyde, and Henry are not pass catchers. This offense requires a more dynamic back in my opinion.

Last edited:

HGC

All Star
Reaction score
They’ve got to figure out a way to bring Drake and Humphries back. Keim needs to prove his worth and figure out a way to get it done.

bojack

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Drake is a really good fit for the system. I think they can sign him for a reasonable amount and structure it in a way we can be fair in guarantees but try to offload some of the upside to the performance bonuses.

If another team is going to give him a sizeable guaranteed contract so be it and look elsewhere.

MrYeahBut

4 Food groups: beans, chili, cheese, bacon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Melvin Gordon wants a big contract also, like $13 mil/per.

bojack

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
We need to get out of DJ's contract. And we need to start sticking to the affordable RB approach. My guess is that Keim understands that now.

How is this even possible though? He owed about $10M for 2020 and 2021 (only 2.1M of 2021 guarantees in 3 months so 2021 isn't as big of concern to us or other prospects, but even if you look at it as a 1 year rental it will still cost over $12M cap). DJ the 4th highest paid back in 2019.

I don't see who is going to pay that much, not even BA. The only way I see we can deal him is to restructure his contract to move more to bonuses from salary, so we take the cap hit on our end so a trade partner can get him for much less. I don't see another team even looking his way unless his contract is for $5M or less, and they aren't going to give us much of anything for it. They are really just going to be giving us a slightly reduced cap hit.

In all reality I kind of expect him to get cut before a trade happens, and cutting him is hard because he is already paid up, so you are only cutting him if you need that roster spot.

The notion we are going to somehow pass this contract on to another team is a non starter though.

MrYeahBut

4 Food groups: beans, chili, cheese, bacon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Houston unloaded the Osweiler contract somehow. I think it cost them dearly but they ended up with Watson so it worked itself out.

TheCardFan

Things have changed.
Reaction score
A lot of this will also depend on what David wants to do in his career.

Does he want to stand firm and collect 100% of what he is owed and be the back-up here next year?
Does he want to renegotiate his contract/lower his compensation this year but make himself tradable to a team that will give him an opportunity to start?
Does he want to retire?

If he chooses to lower his contract value - does that directly help us with the cap number this year?

Dr. Jones

Has No Time For Love
Reaction score
How is this even possible though? He owed about $10M for 2020 and 2021 (only 2.1M of 2021 guarantees in 3 months so 2021 isn't as big of concern to us or other prospects, but even if you look at it as a 1 year rental it will still cost over $12M cap). DJ the 4th highest paid back in 2019.

I don't see who is going to pay that much, not even BA. The only way I see we can deal him is to restructure his contract to move more to bonuses from salary, so we take the cap hit on our end so a trade partner can get him for much less. I don't see another team even looking his way unless his contract is for $5M or less, and they aren't going to give us much of anything for it. They are really just going to be giving us a slightly reduced cap hit.

In all reality I kind of expect him to get cut before a trade happens, and cutting him is hard because he is already paid up, so you are only cutting him if you need that roster spot.

The notion we are going to somehow pass this contract on to another team is a non starter though.

Honestly, I have no idea. My only hope is a RB needy team who thinks they are on the cusp of greatness.

That's the Texans & Bucs IMO. With maybe the Bears, Colts, Steelers, & Falcons right behind. Personally though..... I can't see it being a likely outcome.

I would give them a 6th or 7th rounder if I had to in order to get it done.

OP
OP
HoodieBets

HoodieBets

Formerly azcardsfan1616
Reaction score
Houston unloaded the Osweiler contract somehow. I think it cost them dearly but they ended up with Watson so it worked itself out.

They traded Brock AND a second round pick AND a 6th round pick and got back a fourth. We would have to trade DJ AND a 2nd or 3rd for a 4th back. Mine as well keep him at that point.

OP
OP
HoodieBets

HoodieBets

Formerly azcardsfan1616
Reaction score

They traded Brock AND a second round pick AND a 6th round pick and got back a fourth. We would have to trade DJ AND a 2nd or 3rd for a 4th back. Mine as well keep him at that point.

bojack

Hall of Famer
Reaction score

Does he want to stand firm and collect 100% of what he is owed and be the back-up here next year?
Does he want to renegotiate his contract/lower his compensation this year but make himself tradable to a team that will give him an opportunity to start?
Does he want to retire?

If he chooses to lower his contract value - does that directly help us with the cap number this year?

This year is in the books. He is not going to lower his contract, that would be crazy. All we can do is buy down the salary by restructuring to bonuses to so another team will take him at a fair price and we pay a chunk of the salary via bonuses and end up having a bit less cap hit than if we kept him or cut him. DJ may not want traded though, he may like living in AZ, and he might prefer to get paid big bucks without having to take the reps.

I suppose we could trade away picks or a player of value for someone to take DJs current contract off our hands as is but that doesn't make sense for us.

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ekeler makes a ton of sense but I expect SD to keep him and let Gordon walk. If he does became a FA he'll get too much money he's had the perfect timing to have a good year.

Breida is the guy I really like he does have some injury issues but over 5 YPC the last 2 years, very good receiver and just a perfect fit in this offense. I would prefer we keep Drake but if he gets too expensive and Breida is out there, I'd love to get him. Or just find a similar kid in the draft, remember Breida was undrafted. Because of where I live I hear about him quite a bit he's an absolute athletic freak, he wasn't invited to the combine but at his pro day(Georgia Southern) he had a 4.38 40, 42 inch vertical 11 foot 2 broad jump and 23 reps, to give you an idea how good that is for a RB, he topped Saquon Barkley in all 4 categories, but again it wasn't at the Combine so less reliable. They have an issue kind of like we have with Johnson only not nearly as bad, McKinnon has 2 years left on his deal and counts 8.5 against the cap next year and over 9 the following. They cut him before June it's a 4 million cap hit. So while everyone thinks they want to keep Breida, it's entirely possible they let him walk to avoid the 4 million of dead money by releasing McKinnon.

slanidrac16

ASFN Icon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Melvin Gordon
Austin Ekeler
Justin Howard
Carlos Hyde
Derrick Henry
Karem Hunt
Matt Breida
Out of all these guys realistically Breida is the only guy I would want or who will be available.
Gordon $$$
Ekeler$$$
Howard? Forget about it.
Hyde million miles on the tires
Henry$$$$$$$$
Hunt. Character issues

GatorAZ

feed hopkins
Reaction score
Honestly, I have no idea. My only hope is a RB needy team who thinks they are on the cusp of greatness.

That's the Texans & Bucs IMO. With maybe the Bears, Colts, Steelers, & Falcons right behind. Personally though..... I can't see it being a likely outcome.

I would give them a 6th or 7th rounder if I had to in order to get it done.

Lol I’d rather keep the picks and give them Reddick. Just remind BA he went to Temple!

juza76

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Gordon seriously is looking for 13m/year?
If he will get 6 mil for year he has to very happy

Jetstream Green

Kool Aid with a touch of vodka
Reaction score

Does he want to retire?

This pretty much sums this up, my sentiments exactly