2020 Free Agents - How do we fill this roster? Who do you want?

Solar7

Go Suns
Reaction score
A lot is being made of the cap space we have, and I don't think we really have a ton of options. Here's next year's outlook. $71 million, $81 million if the rumored increase is right.

https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/arizona-cardinals/cap/2020/

I'm most interested in filling these positions, as we literally have no starter under contract for 2020. Who do we acquire here? Who do you like? How does it fit financially? Who do you re-sign from the team?

LT
RT
C
DE (x2)
ILB
OLB
WR

Here's a top 50: https://nfltraderumors.co/top-25-2020-nfl-free-agents-list/

How do we fix this? What about positions where we'd like to improve?

TheCardFan

Things have changed.
Reaction score
LT - barring an injury, Humphries is getting franchise tag or new contract (Donovan Smith money). DJ is having best year for sacks allowed (2 in 14 games) but worst in penalties (5 false starts and 4 holds).

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
OvertheCap bakes in a $12 million cap increase to their projection, which is included in our $73M in projected space. Eight teams will have more cap space than us, and all but the Raiders have more rostered players — we have 38 on the roster right now.

Re-sign Fitz ($11M), D.J. Humphries ($13.5M), which you have to do. Then you have $50 million left (roundabouts), to get the rest of your guys under contract.

Goodyear Card

Link Guy
Reaction score
add 12.5M when we cut PP. Of course then you need to sign another CB.

OP
OP
Solar7

Solar7

Go Suns
Reaction score
OvertheCap bakes in a $12 million cap increase to their projection, which is included in our $73M in projected space. Eight teams will have more cap space than us, and all but the Raiders have more rostered players — we have 38 on the roster right now.

Re-sign Fitz ($11M), D.J. Humphries ($13.5M), which you have to do. Then you have $50 million left (roundabouts), to get the rest of your guys under contract.
Thanks for the help there with the overall number. Good to know. $50 million seems like it will soak up really quickly.

I guess I feel bleak about our opportunities here. Not a lot of strong players at positions of need, and a lot to fill. People are excited about a potential quick turnaround, but do any available names impress? We need bodies at these positions, and I can't even identify more than one tackle I think is an upgrade that won't be franchised.

b8rtm8nn

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
I would like someone like Schubert at ILB since we are so devoid of talent there. Co-sign on K9's Fitz and Humphries, see if we can keep one of the outgoing WRs, Cooper or Byrd.

An RT would be good too. And see how the draft pans out before signing more since I think it's easy to get value at DL, so I would wait it out a bit.

OP
OP
Solar7

Solar7

Go Suns
Reaction score
I would like someone like Schubert at ILB since we are so devoid of talent there. Co-sign on K9's Fitz and Humphries, see if we can keep one of the outgoing WRs, Cooper or Byrd.

An RT would be good too. And see how the draft pans out before signing more since I think it's easy to get value at DL, so I would wait it out a bit.
You think we can get four starters in the draft, or sign them after the draft? That's gutsy.

cardpa

Have a Nice Day!
Reaction score

Doesn't some of the cap need to be reserved for draft signings???

Finito

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap30...nts-in-2020-two-quarterbacks-lead-way-for-now

Sorry Fitz but I need that money. I try and make Brandon Scherff the highest paid guard in the NFL at 15 million. I resign DJ. If DJ can cut down on the false starts then he’s looking like a stud cause he’s proven he doesn’t give up sacks

now you got DJ, Scherff and Sweezy that line looks a lot better

we just can’t keep paying Fitzgerald we need that money.

Rohinaz

All Star
Reaction score
I'd resign hump and keep peterson. Test the market on david Johnson. If no takers hes the primary back.

I would target a DE, arik armstead or leonard Williams or michael brockers. We really need a vet mlb, maybe Corey Littleton. Vic Beasley could be an option at olb.

Need a RT, may resign the guy we traded for from the steelers to a base contract.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

OP
OP
Solar7

Solar7

Go Suns
Reaction score
http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap30...nts-in-2020-two-quarterbacks-lead-way-for-now

Sorry Fitz but I need that money. I try and make Brandon Scherff the highest paid guard in the NFL at 15 million. I resign DJ. If DJ can cut down on the false starts then he’s looking like a stud cause he’s proven he doesn’t give up sacks

now you got DJ, Scherff and Sweezy that line looks a lot better

we just can’t keep paying Fitzgerald we need that money.
Can I ask why we're paying Scherff to be the top guard in the NFL when we already have two guys at guard that aren't moving anywhere? I'm not being confrontational when I ask, just wondering what the gameplan is for Pugh, besides eating 6 million in dead cap again.

Also, FYI, for some reason, that link leads me to NFL GamePass.

b8rtm8nn

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
You think we can get four starters in the draft, or sign them after the draft? That's gutsy.

We need more players, but I focused on acquiring starters specifically, WR, ILB, LT and RT with FA dollars that will cost a bit; the rest is draft and other FA signings after the draft. I would love a great OLB across from Chandler, but the other positions are my priority.

Finito

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Can I ask why we're paying Scherff to be the top guard in the NFL when we already have two guys at guard that aren't moving anywhere? I'm not being confrontational when I ask, just wondering what the gameplan is for Pugh, besides eating 6 million in dead cap again.

Also, FYI, for some reason, that link leads me to NFL GamePass.

because he’s available and if you can sign him you do it.

Brandon Scherff, Rodney Hudson C and Anthony Caztanzo LT are the best offensive lineman on the market. We need to swing at one of them

Rohinaz

All Star
Reaction score

Brandon Scherff, Rodney Hudson C and Anthony Caztanzo LT are the best offensive lineman on the market. We need to swing at one of them
I doubt scherff and caztanzo hit the market. But I would pay hudson.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

OP
OP
Solar7

Solar7

Go Suns
Reaction score
I dunno, maybe I should have been more clear in what I was thinking in this thread, haha. I was hoping to hear from some people how they'd put together a half-reasonable roster with the desperate needs at these positions, understanding we just have to find players to play there. There's no other choice.

We need more players, but I focused on acquiring starters specifically, WR, ILB, LT and RT with FA dollars that will cost a bit; the rest is draft and other FA signings after the draft. I would love a great OLB across from Chandler, but the other positions are my priority.
Well, it's not even a "great" OLB at this point, just any, unless you're thinking Reddick should start. The cupboard is normally pretty bare by then. That's the only reason I called it out.

Hudson isn't available (signed an extension), Castonzo will proably be franchised (and is already 32), and Scherff plays a position we have locked up for the time being, which isn't the weakness of the team. Again, I get wanting to upgrade some bad spots, but look above... we have 8 starters to fill.

If your wishlist doesn't start with Justin Simmons, you aren't paying attention.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk
That'd be great, but safety isn't a spot where we have no one under contract. Do I love the idea of Baker and the Thompson Twins as the players back there? No, but we can't afford to replace them with a free agent with this many spots to fill.

slanidrac16

ASFN Icon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Littleton would be at the top of my list.
Olb Beasley shouldn’t command too much but far from a rock. We need to improve speed on defense these two would dramatically improve our lb corp.
We also need an impact at DE.

I think we are all star struck with 73 m in cap space but it will go fast. We are not trading pp21. We are stuck with DJ and if Fitz wants to return I want him back. We will sign Humphries to a contract but personally I’d tag him to prove this year isn’t a one year contract inspired year.

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score
For defensive line, a guy that could be signed for a reasonable contract who has played pretty well (albeit in a contract year) is Vernon Butler.

The Panthers probably wont be able to pay him what he will command. Should be available for $8 million or so.

DVontel

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
For defensive line, a guy that could be signed for a reasonable contract who has played pretty well (albeit in a contract year) is Vernon Butler.

The Panthers probably wont be able to pay him what he will command. Should be available for $8 million or so.
Real sketchy that he stopped playing like a glorified Nkemdiche once the contract year came.