The Browns are a Mess - Landry Asked Cards to “Come Get Me”

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
If it took anything more than that I would almost rather just use our first on a WR and have a really good one on a rookie contract the next few years.

Well, that's kind of the thing, right? If you get the deal done, you have Beckham coming off the books at about the same time you have Murray lined up for an extension. There's no point in pinching pennies when you have a QB on a rookie contract.

Even great WRs take a little time to get up to speed — and their careers don't always match up with their draft status. A.J. Brown looks like a manimal right now, and he was selected 51st overall. Marquise Brown is having a nice season, and he has work to do to get to 800 yards.

At the WR position, I think you pay the price to get the sure thing. I'd rather spend my top 10 draft pick on a guy who will affect every play on his side of the ball.

ajcardfan

I see you.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Interesting.

I wonder who the other players were?

CardsSunsDbacks

Not So Skeptical
Reaction score
Well, that's kind of the thing, right? If you get the deal done, you have Beckham coming off the books at about the same time you have Murray lined up for an extension. There's no point in pinching pennies when you have a QB on a rookie contract.

Even great WRs take a little time to get up to speed — and their careers don't always match up with their draft status. A.J. Brown looks like a manimal right now, and he was selected 51st overall. Marquise Brown is having a nice season, and he has work to do to get to 800 yards.

At the WR position, I think you pay the price to get the sure thing. I'd rather spend my top 10 draft pick on a guy who will affect every play on his side of the ball.
Sure, but we also need to fill a bunch of positions and free agency is going to have to be the way to fill a lot of those spots. Obviously trading for Beckham would essentially be a little like just signing a good receiver in free agency, but losing assets in the process.

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
Sure, but we also need to fill a bunch of positions and free agency is going to have to be the way to fill a lot of those spots. Obviously trading for Beckham would essentially be a little like just signing a good receiver in free agency, but losing assets in the process.

There isn't going to be a receiver as good as Beckham available in the free agent market. You trade the pick because it doesn't make sense to get younger on the offense, and there's a yuuuge gap between the talent of Beckham and whatever broken third-contract player you'd be able to get.

Arz101

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
There isn't going to be a receiver as good as Beckham available in the free agent market. You trade the pick because it doesn't make sense to get younger on the offense, and there's a yuuuge gap between the talent of Beckham and whatever broken third-contract player you'd be able to get.
Given recent history of bungling receiver develoment with the Cardinals franchise, getting Beckham is a no brainier over drafting Lamb. And whatever K9 said about Beckham is also true.

Sent from my 6060S using Tapatalk

Arz101

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
The Mike Silver guy is NFL's Gambo. Always lies for his masters. Don't trust him.

CardsSunsDbacks

Not So Skeptical
Reaction score
Given recent history of bungling receiver develoment with the Cardinals franchise, getting Beckham is a no brainier over drafting Lamb. And whatever K9 said about Beckham is also true.

Last I checked we haven't had a WR talent nearly as good as Lamb since a rookie Fitz (maybe Floyd?). Not having talented prospects does not equate exclusively to inability to develop receivers, but also inability to identify the right receiver prospects.

Arz101

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Last I checked we haven't had a WR talent nearly as good as Lamb since a rookie Fitz (maybe Floyd?). Not having talented prospects does not equate exclusively to inability to develop receivers, but also inability to identify the right receiver prospects.
Chicken or egg problem (talent or coaching). Why take a chance with a top 6 pick on a WR when someone like Beckham is available for a second round pick+?

Vacard

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Breaston was pretty good

Solar7

Go Suns
Reaction score
If we're going to invest anything more when it comes to the receiver position, I'd rather it be on someone who has exhibited they can play, rather than hoping the guy we draft can adapt to the NFL. Rookie WRs take a while to do that, too. As was mentioned with Brown... are we gonna be happy if we draft Lamb and he puts up around 600 yards? So many guys who go in the top ten take a while to develop. We don't have a ton of time to let guys have "well maybe next year" kind of efforts while we're under KM's rookie deal.

CardsSunsDbacks

Not So Skeptical
Reaction score
Chicken or egg problem (talent or coaching). Why take a chance with a top 6 pick on a WR when someone like Beckham is available for a second round pick+?

Well I specifically said I would do that trade for Beckham. Then I said if it took more than that for him than I would prefer to just draft one high in the draft. In the latter situation we could use the extra cap space on other positions of need in free agency.

Cardsfaninlouky

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score

If only available for a 2nd round pick yes, otherwise no. We have so many needs on defense, giving up too much draft capital would set the rebuild on this team back a few seasons.

MrYeahBut

4 Food groups: beans, chili, cheese, bacon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Cleveland's equivalent of "Don't tase me, bro"

pinetopred

Registered
Reaction score
2nd and DJ for Odell or Landry. Would 100% make that deal.
I know the Browns front office isnt very good, but the positions they are completely set at are RB and WR. Why in a million years would they do a deal for another RB and a 2nd round pick to make WR a position of need ?

GatorAZ

feed hopkins
Reaction score
I’ve watched Odell the last few years and honestly don’t get hype but for a 2nd rd pick I’d take the 800-900 yards and a few TD’s. I mean look at Keim’s recent draft picks at receiver.

Finito

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I’ve watched Odell the last few years and honestly don’t get hype but for a 2nd rd pick I’d take the 800-900 yards and a few TD’s. I mean look at Keim’s recent draft picks at receiver.

but he made a really cool catch on Monday night football 3 years ago.

yeah he’s pretty overrated a pretty good WR but he’s not elite not like a prime Fitz or Julio Jones

still for a 2nd I’d do that

bojack

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Things must be bad when you are asking for a trade to a 4 win cards from the sideline. No one even did that during the Wilks debacle and it would have been hard to blame them.

I want the next Thomas, not OBJ.

DumboD

Rookie
Reaction score
Is OBJ healthy as Freddy Kitchens said or battling through a mishandled injury like Baker Mayfield said? The answer to that question determines OBJ's trade value. If his performance has suddenly declined, I wouldn't want to trade for him.

The Browns have been bad, but not enough to push them to having a fire sale like Miami.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
G-PA