Fire Keim - It’s time

HGC

All Star
Reaction score
He should have been fired last year but Bidwill seems to be onboard with the decisions and direction. Maybe he’ll surprise us and kick Keim to the curb but I’m expecting Steve to be back. They’ll probably scapegoat Vance Joseph (who sucks) like they did with Wilkes (who also sucked) and use Murray’s decent rookie year and the improvement of the offense to justify the decisions they made in the off season.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
Agree it’s time.

As the OP said, im not going to list all his failures. Instead, Let’s take a reflective look in a broader sense. Cheese and I discussed this last night and what we arrived upon is truly astonishing.

This franchise has allowed keim to build three different teams. The first was Arians teams. Pretty successful. Granted we will likely never know how much input was from Arians, but we do know his fingerprints were all over that team. That said, keim was definitely a part of that architectural team and deserves big credit for it. However he also couldn’t sustain it. It died an ugly creeping slow death.

the second and third teams he was allowed to build shockingly came in back to back years. I’m unsure if any other gm has had two one year team rebuilds in back to back years. But he was given that opportunity.

last year was a whole new coaching staff, a new offensive and defensive philosophy, and a roster purge and reconstruction. We were supposed to be pound and ground on offense and run a defense 4-3. That rebuild went 3-13 with many of new free agent signings not even making it to years end.

this year is a whole new coaching staff, new offensive and defensive philosophy, and a roster purge and reconstruction. Yup SAME THING, but in the opposite directions. Note:

ground and pound —> air raid
4-3 —> 3-4

so we did a 180 in regards to BOTH sides of the ball philosophies. We had new head coaches, new coordinators, almost all new coaches. We didn’t have any of last years free agents bc they were all so bad we cut them mid year and we even traded away our first round pick pocket passer for a dual threat qb. So complete rebuild. Again.

And then this year AGAIN multiple free agents cut before end of their first year and we are staring at the same amount of wins at year end likely imo.

what this dance screams to me is complete incompetence. No risk it to ground and pound to air raid and 3-4 to 4-3 to 3-4 means keim doesn’t have a philosophy. He just goes whichever way the wind blows. And does so regardless of personnel. There’s no way you can convince me that the proper personnel were available for both of those changes on both sides of the ball. It also seems that keim has tried in three VERY different designs and his only success came with a very strong and influential Arians. Which imo begets the conclusion, the success we experienced was 90% Arians and 9% some other element, and 1% keim blindly finding a nut.

fire keim.

(we should all begin ending every post with those two simple words. I will be regardless of which forum upon which I’m posting. It’s time)

HGC

All Star
Reaction score
Yeah, another fire Keim thread.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

Keep them coming.
It’s potentially the most important decision in franchise history. Keim is going to have a lot of money to spend and plenty of valuable draft capital at his disposal. He’s also going to have to improve the team dramatically in the win column to have any hope of returning in 2021. The potential consequences of a lame duck GM with those types of assets could cripple this franchise for years.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Agree it’s time.

As the OP said, im not going to list all his failures. Instead, Let’s take a reflective look in a broader sense. Cheese and I discussed this last night and what we arrived upon is truly astonishing.

This franchise has allowed keim to build three different teams. The first was Arians teams. Pretty successful. Granted we will likely never know how much input was from Arians, but we do know his fingerprints were all over that team. That said, keim was definitely a part of that architectural team and deserves big credit for it. However he also couldn’t sustain it. It died an ugly creeping slow death.

the second and third teams he was allowed to build shockingly came in back to back years. I’m unsure if any other gm has had two one year team rebuilds in back to back years. But he was given that opportunity.

last year was a whole new coaching staff, a new offensive and defensive philosophy, and a roster purge and reconstruction. We were supposed to be pound and ground on offense and run a defense 4-3. That rebuild went 3-13 with many of new free agent signings not even making it to years end.

this year is a whole new coaching staff, new offensive and defensive philosophy, and a roster purge and reconstruction. Yup SAME THING, but in the opposite directions. Note:

ground and pound —> air raid
4-3 —> 3-4

so we did a 180 in regards to BOTH sides of the ball philosophies. We had new head coaches, new coordinators, almost all new coaches. We didn’t have any of last years free agents bc they were all so bad we cut them mid year and we even traded away our first round pick pocket passer for a dual threat qb. So complete rebuild. Again.

And then this year AGAIN multiple free agents cut before end of their first year and we are staring at the same amount of wins at year end likely imo.

what this dance screams to me is complete incompetence. No risk it to ground and pound to air raid and 3-4 to 4-3 to 3-4 means keim doesn’t have a philosophy. He just goes whichever way the wind blows. And does so regardless of personnel. There’s no way you can convince me that the proper personnel were available for both of those changes on both sides of the ball. It also seems that keim has tried in three VERY different designs and his only success came with a very strong and influential Arians. Which imo begets the conclusion, the success we experienced was 90% Arians and 9% some other element, and 1% keim blindly finding a nut.

fire keim.

(we should all begin ending every post with those two simple words. I will be regardless of which forum upon which I’m posting. It’s time)

in addition to this, I think we're seeing how valuable Arians really was during his era as opposed to Keim. Dude's just a very good coach. He's quietly gotten that schizo Tampa team to 6-7, already won more games than last season and likely has them headed towards an 8-8 end his first season, a 3 game improvement. We're also seeing that team mimic his first season here, with a lot of frustrating close losses early, but making an annual late season run, now having won 4 of their last 5 games, after some tough close losses to Seattle (in OT), Titans and Saints.

I mean, Arians final season he was winning games at the end of the year with Stanton as QB, Kerwyn Williams at RB and only Larry as a legit weapon to throw to. And literally nothing to speak of on the defense outside of PP and Jones. That team had ZERO depth (thanks Keim) and Arians elevated them from the trash heap to somehow 8-8 winning @ Seattle to end his run. Very little of that credit goes to Keim that season.

cardsfanmd

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Your reasoning?
Let me preface this by saying I think he’s been far from perfect and the main reason I want to keep him is that switching GM’s in the NFL is the toughest personnel move to recover from in all of professional sports.

I do think he’s made a lot of good moves too, though. He wasn’t named executive of the year by accident. He orchestrated the two best trades in the history of this franchise (Palmer and Jones). Wilks was a disaster from the start and, even though this board can’t handle the truth, its been documented that he was Mike B’s decision. I also that a lot of the turnover in draft picks had to do with the coaching carousel. It’s also worth noting that many of our failed picks had easily as much to do with Arians’ preferences as Keim’s evaluations.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
Let me preface this by saying I think he’s been far from perfect and the main reason I want to keep him is that switching GM’s in the NFL is the toughest personnel move to recover from in all of professional sports.

I do think he’s made a lot of good moves too, though. He wasn’t named executive of the year by accident. He orchestrated the two best trades in the history of this franchise (Palmer and Jones). Wilks was a disaster from the start and, even though this board can’t handle the truth, its been documented that he was Mike B’s decision. I also that a lot of the turnover in draft picks had to do with the coaching carousel. It’s also worth noting that many of our failed picks had easily as much to do with Arians’ preferences as Keim’s evaluations.
Lol. I do not think you know what “documented” means.

Cbus cardsfan

Back to Back ASFN FFL Champion
Reaction score
People don’t want to face the elephant in the room.

Mike Bidwill should stick to being an owner and let the people he hired do their jobs.

Robert Kraft and the Rooney’s are the best owners in football because they stick to being an owner and let the guys do their job.

look at the browns owner, Jerry Jones, Daniel Snyder, etc. Bidwill is more along their lines and emotionally involved.

TJ

Frank Kaminsky is my Hero.
Reaction score

The last move he made that honestly was a significant net positive was Chandler Jones, and that was back in 2016. Since then, it's been a number of mostly awful moves with some that were just alright. Additionally, we havent been above the .500 mark since the 2015 season, and there is only one constant from that year to now; Steve Keim. At a certain point, the stream of bad picks and awful personnel decisions pile up to a point in which it takes way too much time to regroup and get back on track, and with Keim's recent performance, what's to say he's going to be able to get us out of this mess? Yes, he's one EOTY, but that was a while ago. Something since 2015 has caused him to be far from a decent GM.

I used to be a staunch Keim supporter, but he's done way too much wrong to have maintained that support. It's time for a fresh face and new leadership in the FO.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
People don’t want to face the elephant in the room.

Mike Bidwill should stick to being an owner and let the people he hired do their jobs.

Robert Kraft and the Rooney’s are the best owners in football because they stick to being an owner and let the guys do their job.

look at the browns owner, Jerry Jones, Daniel Snyder, etc. Bidwill is more along their lines and emotionally involved.
If you don’t think kraft is emotionally involved you’re out to lunch. Mike is definitely too involved imo. But at least he’s engaged and wants to win. Never really got that strong impression from his old man. But undoubtedly he’s part of the problem. I think your issue is you don’t recognize Kevin’s role in where are now. It’s never a him or him issue in these scenarios. It takes a team to suck so badly one experiment after another. And Keim’s a key player there. And guess what? Mikey ain’t leaving so who does that leave to replace to hopefully right the ship . . . ?

bojack

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Keim got us Palmer, sure, but he failed criminally in having a succession plan for Palmer. He spent a 4th on Logan and that was extent of his effort. There were 2 seasons where every Cardinals fan knew any given snap could be Palmer's last given his age and propensity for injury. Forget the first rounders... Dak was had for a 4th and Jimmy G was dealt for a 2nd. Neither are Brady but you don't need a Brady to win, just a solid team on both sides of the ball, which SK has failed at fielding as well.

TJ

Frank Kaminsky is my Hero.
Reaction score
honest question: are there any reports of Mike B meddling or not letting people do their jobs?

Reportedly, Mikey B hired Wilks despite not being Keim’s main choice. Pretty sure there are other examples, but I’m not going to go back to figure it out.

Still. Ownership should rarely, if ever, should go against the GM. The GM is supposed to be the smartest man in the room in terms of personnel moves and it’s obvious with moves like that that Mikey does not have 100% confidence in him.

Latest posts

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sarahmoose