Deandre Ayton facing 25 game suspension

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
But it's more complicated than that. Someone attempting a two-point shot is more likely to get fouled, which doesn't affect the shooting percentage but increases efficiency. And a three-point shot is more likely to lead to a long rebound and an easier chance for the other team.

There should be advanced stats for team offensive efficiency when the possession ends in a two-point shot versus a three-point shot, as well as defensive efficiency for the possession immediately following such an attempt. You'd get a much more accurate picture that way.
Yes, there are other factors. There are more chances for fouls at the rim. Does a shot count as a miss if there is a foul? Long rebounds usually favor the offense, I think.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yes, there are other factors. There are more chances for fouls at the rim. Does a shot count as a miss if there is a foul? Long rebounds usually favor the offense, I think.

it's not counted as a shot attempt if there's a foul and the shot doesn't go in.

Raindog

I didn't come here to be liked!
Reaction score
It crossed my mind that Ayton and Baynes could play together in the front court. However, after seeing how thin the team was when it was just Baynes? They definitely need to find a good balance between them.

This makes me think we should be looking at a combo 4/5 in next year's draft. We probably won't be picking very high, and very likely not even in the lottery (barring the unforeseen, of course). But with the devaluation of big men, there should be some good prospects available in the 15-20 range, where we figure to end up picking.

The free agent class doesn't look very promising for big men, other than our own (Baynes). If Baynes ends up walking, that makes acquiring someone to pair with Ayton even more of a priority. I think it's about 50-50 that the Suns end up having an interest in retaining Saric, but ideally he should be coming off the bench anyway. As we have discovered, Kaminsky is really not a very useful option other than as possibly a 10th man.

Any good possibilities for trades? I wouldn't want Love, unless the Cavs basically gave him away for free. And even then, I'm not so sure.

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
This makes me think we should be looking at a combo 4/5 in next year's draft. We probably won't be picking very high, and very likely not even in the lottery (barring the unforeseen, of course). But with the devaluation of big men, there should be some good prospects available in the 15-20 range, where we figure to end up picking.

The free agent class doesn't look very promising for big men, other than our own (Baynes). If Baynes ends up walking, that makes acquiring someone to pair with Ayton even more of a priority. I think it's about 50-50 that the Suns end up having an interest in retaining Saric, but ideally he should be coming off the bench anyway. As we have discovered, Kaminsky is really not a very useful option other than as possibly a 10th man.

Any good possibilities for trades? I wouldn't want Love, unless the Cavs basically gave him away for free. And even then, I'm not so sure.
Sure would like to keep Baynes.

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
100% sure Montey Williams would disagree with this.

Yeah, Monty would say he's a 9th man!

When Ayton returns the starting 5 will be Rubio, Booker, Oubre, Saric, and Ayton. Off the bench it'll be Baynes, Bridges, Cam, and either Ty Jerome or Tyler Johnson, and then Kaminsky. What does that make Frank? The 10th man. Once the Suns are healthy then Frank will be the 10th man, if he plays. There's a chance he'll be the 11th or 12th though. We'll see when Ayton returns but Monty's rotations will back up the idea that he's really not more than a 9th or 10th man.

BC867

Long time Phoenician!
Reaction score

When Ayton returns the starting 5 will be Rubio, Booker, Oubre, Saric, and Ayton. Off the bench it'll be Baynes, Bridges, Cam, and either Ty Jerome or Tyler Johnson, and then Kaminsky. What does that make Frank? The 10th man. Once the Suns are healthy then Frank will be the 10th man, if he plays. There's a chance he'll be the 11th or 12th though. We'll see when Ayton returns but Monty's rotations will back up the idea that he's really not more than a 9th or 10th man.

Yes, Frank The Tank probably will be the 9th man.

The only thing missing in your rotation is a Power Forward off the bench, except if they go
small ball for a few minutes. Baynes age won't allow him to be in a 3-way rotation at C/PF.

I have a feeling that will be Kaminsky, as a big man scorer off the bench as well. That would
make him the 9th man in a nine man rotation, which the Suns have been playing.

Who, then, would be the backup Point Guard. It will probably be based on matchups.

Please, please, don't say Booker. :eek:

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Yes, Frank The Tank probably will be the 9th man.

The only thing missing in your rotation is a Power Forward off the bench, except if they go
small ball for a few minutes. Baynes age won't allow him to be in a 3-way rotation at C/PF.

I have a feeling that will be Kaminsky, as a big man scorer off the bench as well. That would
make him the 9th man in a nine man rotation, which the Suns have been playing.

Who, then, would be the backup Point Guard. It will probably be based on matchups.

Please, please, don't say Booker. :eek:

Like I said the bench would be Baynes (C), Bridges (SF/SG), Cam (PF/SF), and Jerome or Tyler Johnson (PG/SG) with Frank possibly being a backup PF, which slides everyone but Baynes down a spot.

Jerome and Tyler Johnson can play both guard spots and Bridges can play some SG. Bridges also bumps Oubre up to PF occasionally now and that will probably continue. I think Cam plays PF now, if you wanted to label it. He plays similar to Saric in style. I see his future as a stretch 4 because he's not quick enough for most opposing wings. If he added some strength though that would be ideal. He's a shorter Channing Frye right now, for better and worse.

We don't have an old school PF who plays inside, we have some stretch 4's like Saric, Cam, and Kaminsky, which relies on our Center to grab a lot of boards as well as others. It can work fine since that's the way that most teams play nowadays.

And to address one of your points directly, no, I'm not counting on Booker to play PG. That doesn't mean that he won't run the offense occasionally but how much and whether that deserves the PG label, we'll continue to disagree over.

1Sun

ASFN Addict
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Like I said the bench would be Baynes (C), Bridges (SF/SG), Cam (PF/SF), and Jerome or Tyler Johnson (PG/SG) with Frank possibly being a backup PF, which slides everyone but Baynes down a spot.

Jerome and Tyler Johnson can play both guard spots and Bridges can play some SG. Bridges also bumps Oubre up to PF occasionally now and that will probably continue. I think Cam plays PF now, if you wanted to label it. He plays similar to Saric in style. I see his future as a stretch 4 because he's not quick enough for most opposing wings. If he added some strength though that would be ideal. He's a shorter Channing Frye right now, for better and worse.

We don't have an old school PF who plays inside, we have some stretch 4's like Saric, Cam, and Kaminsky, which relies on our Center to grab a lot of boards as well as others. It can work fine since that's the way that most teams play nowadays.

Channing Frye at 6'8" or 6'9" never gets into the NBA, let alone has a successful career there.

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
One final game.... This is his one big screw up. If the Suns fall short of the playoffs this year and it will fall on his shoulders. I can still forgive him for it because the playoffs weren't supposed to be in the cards this year. I'll be disappointed but I'll get over it. If he even tests positive for marijuana going forward though, I'll be done with him and root for the Suns to trade him.

SirStefan32

Krycek, Alex Krycek
Reaction score
He is almost back! I can't wait to see this team at full strength again. Missed layups by Frank will transfer into at least 2-3 buckets by Ayton, and he will likely save us 2-3 buckets by getting the rebounds that Frank and Dario haven't been able to get on defense. Assuming he'll grab an offensive rebound or two as well. Should be good for a 10-12 point differential at least.

gimpy

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
I admit I haven't watched basketball much the last few years (although I have watched the Suns a little more this year) (can't stand what they've done to the game of basketball, and the refs). But, I do read the box score of the Suns some, and it seems like Dario produces pretty good stats most games, especially rebounding. So, not seeing where all the negativity comes on him on here.

SirStefan32

Krycek, Alex Krycek
Reaction score
I admit I haven't watched basketball much the last few years (although I have watched the Suns a little more this year) (can't stand what they've done to the game of basketball, and the refs). But, I do read the box score of the Suns some, and it seems like Dario produces pretty good stats most games, especially rebounding. So, not seeing where all the negativity comes on him on here.

I am rather fond of Dario. I think he is a lot tougher than people think, his defense is better than people think, and he is very smart. I think he is a legitimate starting PF in this league if he has a very tall, athletic C next to him.

95pro

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

With Ayton and Baynes out, Sario and Kaminsky have been holding down the PF/Center area almost good enough. I realize they aren't blocking or altering a ton of shots, but they're doing as well as anyone could have hoped while shooting the long ball.

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

Saric is the worst starter on the team but that's not really a bad thing since there are teams around the league with worse starters than Dario. He's suffered from Ayton's absence more than anyone because he's not an interior player and shouldn't be banging inside or covering Center for anyone. I think he's just an easy target for people to blame when things aren't going well because his time here is limited. I'll be surprised if he signs here long term but that's fine. I think the Suns should aim to upgrade PF while they can. Dario would make a really good backup but I can't see him happy in that role.

devilalum

Heavily Redacted
Reaction score

Sure

He’s 9th off the bench until someone gets hurt or stoned again.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Raindog

I didn't come here to be liked!
Reaction score
If he even tests positive for marijuana going forward though, I'll be done with him and root for the Suns to trade him.

I agree - one more screw up, and I think a lot of the fanbase here will sour on him, including me.

CardsSunsDbacks

Not So Skeptical
Reaction score
Saric is the worst starter on the team but that's not really a bad thing since there are teams around the league with worse starters than Dario. He's suffered from Ayton's absence more than anyone because he's not an interior player and shouldn't be banging inside or covering Center for anyone. I think he's just an easy target for people to blame when things aren't going well because his time here is limited. I'll be surprised if he signs here long term but that's fine. I think the Suns should aim to upgrade PF while they can. Dario would make a really good backup but I can't see him happy in that role.
Hopefully a lot of teams undervalue him like a lot of fans do and we can get him at a bargain price. Would certainly like him back if it doesn't cost too much.

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Hopefully a lot of teams undervalue him like a lot of fans do and we can get him at a bargain price. Would certainly like him back if it doesn't cost too much.

I'd be surprised if that happens but mainly because he has a lot of options in Europe still. I could see him going back if he doesn't get the money and/or role he wants in the NBA. Mirotic did it this last offseason, Saric could follow him this offseason. I hope the Suns extend the qualifying offer to him regardless. If he bolts for Europe then they'll have some cap space but if he doesn't, we can potentially resign him to a really good deal.

His cap hit is about $9 million but the qualifying offer is about $4.5 million, I believe. I'd be in favor of bringing him back if it cost somewhere between $4 and $7 million a year. Something like 3 years/$20 million seems fair for all parties. That keeps his salary low enough that it doesn't kill the cap and should be easy to move, if needed. 4 years at that price would be much better for the Suns but I think he might be able to earn close to that in Europe, so it's anyone's guess if that would be enough to keep him here.

If he bolts as a restricted free agent though we'd retain his rights if he tries to return in a couple of years, like how Atlanta kept Josh Childress' rights when he went overseas as a RFA. I know Childress is not a name that anyone likes mentioning but he's the only player I can think of that did something like that. It actually cost the Suns a 2nd rounder to sign him back when they did. All that needs to be done though is the Suns have to extend the qualifying offer to Saric, and I would be surprised if they don't. If they think he's going to Europe then extending that is a no brainer because the cap hold should go away quickly because he couldn't be signed by anyone in the NBA for the Suns to consider matching.

BC867

Long time Phoenician!
Reaction score
I've posted this before. We are not investors, we are fans. I want to see NBA-level talented players
at every position in the rotation, not the cheapest bargains. It is the responsibility of the investors,
Front Office and coaching staff to stock and develop and balance that responsibility.

Why would any fan set a priority of "bargain price"? That is asking for another decade of futility.

CardsSunsDbacks

Not So Skeptical
Reaction score
I've posted this before. We are not investors, we are fans. I want to see NBA-level talented players
at every position in the rotation, not the cheapest bargains. It is the responsibility of the investors,
Front Office and coaching staff to stock and develop and balance that responsibility.

Why would any fan set a priority of "bargain price"? That is asking for another decade of futility.
Okay and as fans we should keep into consideration what happens when the team overpays mediocre talent. Do I personally care from a financial standpoint? No, but I can see the negative effect that overpaying guys like Saric can do to the team's ability to keep a good product on the floor.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Beagleperson