If not Lamb, Who?

Harry

ASFN Consultant and Senior Writer
Reaction score
I’ve made it clear I’d take Lamb first, but I’ve seen no inclination the Cards are so inclined. Of course the next logical question is if they don’t take Lamb, then who? For my money the only other option is Derrick Brown. If the Cards lose this weekend, odds are they pick 5th. In my experience when you pick in the top 5 you should not just get a starter; you should get a probable future Pro Bowl contender. A couple of the CBs might also fill that bill, but Brown is not only the surest option, he fills the greater need. Some people like an edge rusher here, but after Young I see no clear choice. This is too early to gamble. It’s also true there are good OTs here, but I think the OL group is deeper, though the DL group is deep as well. I just have Brown standing out more in his group than any of the OTs.

So why Lamb over Brown? Lamb is also a sure thing with more upside. He’ll help in Murray’s development and impact games more. Murray needs his kind of threat and frankly I don’t see one on the roster. The Cards have talent but not a big play guy. Lamb has a history of game changing receptions. He, alone, will not make the Cards a winner next season, but he adds a step that must be taken. Brown would be a needed building block for the defense, but I think developing Murray is the more critical move. If the Cards don’t make that happen, they slide back to square one.

imaCafan

Next stop, Hall of Fame!
Reaction score
Are you saying Lamb over Jeudy if he is there? Either would be my choice with Brown #3.

juza76

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Derrick Brown is overrated, since his name emerged here I watched last 2 games and I wasn't impressed, outside of few plays he has been bullied by lineman and invisible

Last edited:

pinetopred

Registered
Reaction score
I really like Lamb we need star potential going forward. I'm good with taking him in the 1st as long as we use 2nd 3rd 4th round picks OL and front 7 players. I'd take chances later in the draft on speed players for D and maybe a change of pace RB. That said I'd also explore trying to move up for Young he could help fix some of biggest problems on D and think he will be a star.

overseascardfan

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Andrew Thomas
Jeff Okudah

Aiyuk, Pittman, Creed Humphrey or Austin Jackson if he is there in Round 2. Andrew Thomas and Austin Jackson as our bookends next year solidifies the OT for years IMO.

DVontel

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Andrew Thomas
Jeff Okudah

Aiyuk, Pittman, Creed Humphrey or Austin Jackson if he is there in Round 2. Andrew Thomas and Austin Jackson as our bookends next year solidifies the OT for years IMO.
Austin Jackson sucks.

Southpaw

Provocateur aka Wallyburger
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I suspect there will be an auction type atmosphere pre draft for top 5 slots from QB hungry teams. If the Cards hold one and pick up an extra #1/2 ( I am dreaming here) then not Lamb but Tee Higgins with a later 1st round pick. Andy Thomas is my high #1 pick.

football karma

Happy in the pretense of knowledge
Reaction score
In my experience when you pick in the top 5 you should not just get a starter; you should get a probable future Pro Bowl contender.

that rather than a specific position is the priority

Finito

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Derrick Brown is overrated, since his name emerged here I watched last 2 games and I wasn't impressed, outside of few plays he has been bullied by lineman and invisible

Brown hasn’t been bullied his entire career. You have no idea what your watching he pretty much won there last game against Alabama by himself in the 4th he was a monster.

Solar7

Go Suns
Reaction score
I really like Lamb we need star potential going forward. I'm good with taking him in the 1st as long as we use 2nd 3rd 4th round picks OL and front 7 players. I'd take chances later in the draft on speed players for D and maybe a change of pace RB. That said I'd also explore trying to move up for Young he could help fix some of biggest problems on D and think he will be a star.
As much as I think Young will be a star, this team desperately needs the picks. He could be the best player in history and this defense as it stands now would still get blown off the ball.

Finito

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I’ve made it clear I’d take Lamb first, but I’ve seen no inclination the Cards are so inclined. Of course the next logical question is if they don’t take Lamb, then who? For my money the only other option is Derrick Brown. If the Cards lose this weekend, odds are they pick 5th. In my experience when you pick in the top 5 you should not just get a starter; you should get a probable future Pro Bowl contender. A couple of the CBs might also fill that bill, but Brown is not only the surest option, he fills the greater need. Some people like an edge rusher here, but after Young I see no clear choice. This is too early to gamble. It’s also true there are good OTs here, but I think the OL group is deeper, though the DL group is deep as well. I just have Brown standing out more in his group than any of the OTs.

So why Lamb over Brown? Lamb is also a sure thing with more upside. He’ll help in Murray’s development and impact games more. Murray needs his kind of threat and frankly I don’t see one on the roster. The Cards have talent but not a big play guy. Lamb has a history of game changing receptions. He, alone, will not make the Cards a winner next season, but he adds a step that must be taken. Brown would be a needed building block for the defense, but I think developing Murray is the more critical move. If the Cards don’t make that happen, they slide back to square one.

WR are overrated. You win in the trenches and before anyone tells me how important WR is please let me know how many rings Fitz, Megatron, Moss, Julio Jones, AJ Green, Andre Johnson, TO, Antonio Brown, Odell have....that’s right.

lamb is the one I question the most. Guys coming out of those wide open systems usually don’t translate because they don’t run routes it’s just playground football.

juza76

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Brown hasn’t been bullied his entire career. You have no idea what your watching he pretty much won there last game against Alabama by himself in the 4th he was a monster.

Ok, u have a better idea

Solar7

Go Suns
Reaction score
WR are overrated. You win in the trenches and before anyone tells me how important WR is please let me know how many rings Fitz, Megatron, Moss, Julio Jones, AJ Green, Andre Johnson, TO, Antonio Brown, Odell have....that’s right.

lamb is the one I question the most. Guys coming out of those wide open systems usually don’t translate because they don’t run routes it’s just playground football.
I agree here. You can get away with just decent players at the position, but you still need size and such.

WildBB

Yogi n da Bear
Reaction score
I’ve made it clear I’d take Lamb first, but I’ve seen no inclination the Cards are so inclined. Of course the next logical question is if they don’t take Lamb, then who? For my money the only other option is Derrick Brown. If the Cards lose this weekend, odds are they pick 5th. In my experience when you pick in the top 5 you should not just get a starter; you should get a probable future Pro Bowl contender.
YES. You pick the BEST player regardless of position outside of QB, or get a HAUL of picks in return.

az jam

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

Agree, I watched the Alabama game and Brown dominated the Alabama offensive line. He was the difference maker.

Dr. Jones

Has No Time For Love
Reaction score
Such scary choices here.

If we are at 5, I would go:

Jeudy <-- Easily Jeudy over Lamb IMO especially for our offense. He is Julio & DHop IMO.
Thomas <-- We need to prioritize the O line IMO.
Simmons <-- The next great S/LB combo who can guard everybody.
Lamb <-- I worry about his ability to free himself quickly. Something our WR's need to do.
Wirfs <-- Again, OT must be a priority and there are few GOOD OT prospects in this draft.

That's probably our 5 even if we pick top 7.

I didn't add Chase Young because he just wont be there IMO. He's my #1 if he is.

And I do not like Okudah. He's an avoid for me unless he runs faster than I think he is.

juza76

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Can somedoby please tell me the recent dt's been picked in the top 10 how they drastically changed the defense?

TheCardFan

Things have changed.
Reaction score
Can somedoby please tell me the recent dt's been picked in the top 10 how they drastically changed the defense?

I think you would have to go back to 2010 just to find one that was dominant.

2010 - Suh and Gerald McCoy were picked in top 3 (it took McCoy 3 years to be dominant).

Since 2010, here are the WR's that were drafted in the top 10:

2010 - 0
2011 - AJ Green, Julio Jones
2012 - Justin Blackmon
2013 - Tavon Austin
2014 - Sammy Watkins, Mike Evans
2015 - Amari Cooper, Kevin White
2016 - 0
2017 - Corey Davis, Mike Williams, John Ross
2018 - 0
2019 - 0

OP
OP
Harry

Harry

ASFN Consultant and Senior Writer
Reaction score
You’d have to go back to 2010 with Suh & McCoy, but they were both worth it.