Spurs vs. Suns Saturday game thread (Mexico City) 12-14-19

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
On Saturday the Spurs play the Suns in Mexico City. I think it's technically viewed as a home game for the Suns.

The Spurs (9-15) are coming off a 117-109 OT loss to the Cavaliers at home while the Suns (11-13) are trying to recover from their 115-108 loss to the Grizzlies on Wednesday.

Game time is 3 p.m. MST (Arizona time)

It will be televised on FSAZ.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
A tweet regarding Devin Booker's return to Mexico City where the Suns played two regular season games in 2017.

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

mjb21aztd

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
A tweet regarding Devin Booker's return to Mexico City where the Suns played two regular season games in 2017.

Hope he does but we shall see... also hope wrist isn't to bad

leclerc

The smooth operator
Reaction score
Looking for some defensive intensity more than anything in this game. Spurs are usually good even though they're basically a roster of unknown stiffs. Guess they still have DeRozan.

Go Suns!

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Looking for some defensive intensity more than anything in this game. Spurs are usually good even though they're basically a roster of unknown stiffs. Guess they still have DeRozan.

Go Suns!

You're right they don't have a lot of star power there but I wouldn't call them a collection of unknowns. I think many of us have more than a passing familiarity with LaMarcus Aldridge, Rudy Gay, Jakob Poeltl, Trey Lyles, Patty Mills, DeMarre Carroll, Dejounte Murray and a few others on that team. I really don't see much of a difference between their roster and ours other than they probably have a better coaching staff.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
You're right they don't have a lot of star power there but I wouldn't call them a collection of unknowns. I think many of us have more than a passing familiarity with LaMarcus Aldridge, Rudy Gay, Jakob Poeltl, Trey Lyles, Patty Mills, DeMarre Carroll, Dejounte Murray and a few others on that team. I really don't see much of a difference between their roster and ours other than they probably have a better coaching staff.

I like the Suns roster much better based on the age factor though it may not play out that way on the court. The Spurs have a better team than a lot of fans might think and of course Popovich is a great coach.

This past off season I was really hoping the Suns could sign Trey Lyles but his stats are not impressive with the Spurs.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
This is what Booker's forearm looks like.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Matt Petersen‏ @TheMattPetersen

Monty Williams confirmed Booker did not practice today and said “we’ll see” when asked if he would play tomorrow. Called him “day-to-day”

10:10 AM - 13 Dec 2019

BC867

Long time Phoenician!
Reaction score
It sounds like if he does play, he'll be switching roles with Rubio
as he did in the last game, which we lost.

Because that weakens us at two positions. Shooting Guard and
Point Guard.

Is that better than letting Book recuperate and keeping Rubio
at the Point and getting another shooter on the floor? I don't
think so.

With all due respect to Mexico City, 1,466 miles away, the well
being of the Suns should come first. It is not an exhibition game.

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It sounds like if he does play, he'll be switching roles with Rubio
as he did in the last game, which we lost.

Because that weakens us at two positions. Shooting Guard and
Point Guard.

Is that better than letting Book recuperate and keeping Rubio
at the Point and getting another shooter on the floor? I don't
think so.

With all due respect to Mexico City, 1,466 miles away, the well
being of the Suns should come first. It is not an exhibition game.

Booker is not playing PG. I'm fairly certain that you are the only person who believes that. The number of assists he averages and how he brings the ball up the floor occasionally does not make him a PG or the Suns PG. Rubio does both of those things more than Booker also so claiming that Booker and Rubio have traded positions is ridiculous. Rubio is most definitely not a SG and the Suns aren't playing a 2 PG lineup either.

Kobe used to bring the ball up all the time for the Lakers and averaged a good number of assists, would you say he was the Lakers PG at any point in time? I doubt it. There is much more to being a PG than the number of assists a player averages and if they bring the ball up the court.

Booker is a combo guard, like it or not, and he will have the ball in his hands a lot because he's also the Suns franchise player. He sets up his teammates because he does have the ball in his hands a lot and he's not a selfish ballhog. You can be disappointed with Booker's play, think he's too passive, or does have the ball too much but those issues don't make him a PG either.

You need to move on from this idea that Devin is playing PG because he's not and you're starting to sound like a broken record blaming the majority of the Suns woes on Booker playing PG. You are the only person I've seen or heard make the claim that Booker is still playing PG for the Suns this season, either as of late or at all. No analysts has said that and I haven't seen any other fan claim that either because it's not happening.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I like the Suns roster much better based on the age factor though it may not play out that way on the court. The Spurs have a better team than a lot of fans might think and of course Popovich is a great coach.

This past off season I was really hoping the Suns could sign Trey Lyles but his stats are not impressive with the Spurs.

Assuming the rosters are exactly even (which is never the case), I'd give the Spurs the edge because of their age and experience. But, again just looking at rosters, I like our future better than theirs because so much of our talent has yet to peak.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Assuming the rosters are exactly even (which is never the case), I'd give the Spurs the edge because of their age and experience. But, again just looking at rosters, I like our future better than theirs because so much of our talent has yet to peak.

I think that's it. I like the Suns future better but the Spurs have some solid players on their roster that can produce now.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Kellan Olson‏Verified account @KellanOlson

Devin Booker is listed as questionable for tomorrow's game due to a right forearm contusion.

Aron Baynes is still listed for his left calf strain but he's probable. Ditto for Cam Johnson with left hip soreness.

Dario Saric (low back soreness) is probable as well.

4:30 PM - 13 Dec 2019

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I think that's it. I like the Suns future better but the Spurs have some solid players on their roster that can produce now.

There have been rumors floating around that Aldridge might be dealt if the Spurs don't go on a run. He's making $26 million this year and $24 million next year but that's it. If they would move him for Tyler Johnson and a 1st, I'd be interested in that. I'd include Saric in a deal also but no way would I let Pop get Bridges. I'd rather not see him turn him into All-Star.

I like the idea of making a run for Aldridge a lot more than Love for a number of reasons. He's a better defender, he's owed less, and he also hasn't won a title before so I think he'd be more motivated than Love. Especially since his deal expires after next season. He might want to try to play for one final payday, like Horford and Millsap have secured for themselves recently.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
There have been rumors floating around that Aldridge might be dealt if the Spurs don't go on a run. He's making $26 million this year and $24 million next year but that's it. If they would move him for Tyler Johnson and a 1st, I'd be interested in that. I'd include Saric in a deal also but no way would I let Pop get Bridges. I'd rather not see him turn him into All-Star.

I like the idea of making a run for Aldridge a lot more than Love for a number of reasons. He's a better defender, he's owed less, and he also hasn't won a title before so I think he'd be more motivated than Love. Especially since his deal expires after next season. He might want to try to play for one final payday, like Horford and Millsap have secured for themselves recently.

I'm not thrilled with the Suns offering a 1st round pick for Aldridge (34) even if it is protected unless the Suns are ready to make a run for the playoffs this season. If they are, I might consider it. The Nuggets took a chance on Millsap and it turned out well. I'd prefer a younger player though. Agree I do not want to trade for Love who is on a more expensive 4 year contract.

Saric, Tyler Johnson and a protected first round pick might get it done. Suns cannot afford to keep giving away young talent like Bridges.

Finito

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I’d rather go after Derozan. I’d give up Tyler Johnson, Big Frank and a 1 unprotected.

Johnson comes off there books at the end of the year and they have another 1st.

we get a legit scoring option when Booker isn’t in the game

Phrazbit

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Why do we always want to trade for expensive old guys here in Arizona?

Phoenicians in particular have some fond memories associated with guys who were supposedly on the down slope... Nash, Randy Johnson, Kurt Warner...

The memory of previous greatness... or at least goodness, is slow to forget. But, more often than not the "veteran superstar" who is on the market turns out to be an "overpriced role player".

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
All I was saying is I'd much rather make an offer for Aldridge than Kevin Love. If the Suns make a move for a veteran PF to make a playoff run then Aldridge is much more appealing. He wouldn't kill the cap for the next 4 years like Love, which is big, but he's also a better two way player.

It would also be nice to see San Antonio basically throw in the towel on their season. Without Aldridge and DeRozen they'll struggle to make a legit playoff run and if the Suns can help them give up on their season, that's even better.

BC867

Long time Phoenician!
Reaction score
Rubio does both of those things more than Booker also so claiming that Booker and Rubio have traded positions is ridiculous.
Saying that Rubio does Point Guard chores more than Booker is a confirmation that Booker shares that role.

And the 'trading positions' comment was a quote by Ann Myers Drysdale in the last telecast, referring to Book's
injured arm. It wasn't my analysis. She certainly has more experience than any poster.

I still maintain that using Devin Booker as our top scorer (which he is) and bringing the ball up too often (which
he does) and expecting him to play reasonable defense (which he has not) is wearing him thin.

As a Suns fan, I don't want to see the Suns wear him out, as they have been. Whether in a game, for a season
or during his contract.

Why are you so adamant about that point of view? We are here to share opinions. My career in management
taught me, among other things, that it is the job of management to make it as simple (as opposed to complex)
as possible for your people to do their job well. The Suns have not done that with Booker.

With his turnovers as a distributor and seemingly being a little off with the game on the line, I believe it is time
to use him solely as Shooting Guard (now that we finally have a Point Guard) to keep him healthy and help him
become an All Star, as well as winning all of the close games we've lost.

The Suns tried to turn Book into Harden for a few seasons and it didn't work. That is the reality.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sarahmoose