Terrell Suggs released

ARZCardinals

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Yeah alot of money down the toilet. The whole leadership thing was said about Emmitt also he will bring that winning effort and experience. Guys follow production they don't give a crap about what a guy did 5 years ago most were in high school. Chandler Jones could be our veteran leader but he isnt built that way he just seems to do his thing, nothing wrong with that. Leadership/accountability can come from alot of different guys just not seeing who right now maybe it a guy like Hicks with another offseason.

i.e David (Beanie 2.0) Johnson

never respected a player so much than couldn’t stand him more than Beanie 2.0

ajcardfan

I see you.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Well they could have resigned Markus Golden and his 8.5 sacks, 57 tackles, 11 TFL and 21 QB hits. Good thing they dodged that bullet.

Of course we would all take Golden over Suggs now. But I don't recall any sort of outcry here, or anywhere else, when we let him go. If you were like, "the Cards will rue this day!" on the day he signed with the Giants, then you were a genius.

BigRedRage

Reckless
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Of course we would all take Golden over Suggs now. But I don't recall any sort of outcry here, or anywhere else, when we let him go. If you were like, "the Cards will rue this day!" on the day he signed with the Giants, then you were a genius.
I definitely wanted to keep him

Sent from my moto g(7) using Tapatalk

vince56

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
He was a good young player while he was here. I was unsure why we let him go.

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
I don't believe I have seen someone decimate a quality roster quite as effectively as Steve Keim.

He is like the dude who brags about winning 5 grand when he is still 15k in the hole.

mwanamatapa

Veteran
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The Cards are not even pretending that they want to be competitive. Every week cutting guys without really replacing them. Suggs may have been past his best but he was still contributing.

Sent from my Pixel 4 XL using Tapatalk

TJ

Frank Kaminsky is my Hero.
Reaction score
It was an expensive PR stunt that produced zero ROI in the community or on the field. It was both an attempt to bring in the hometown wonder and a feeble attempt at fixing the blunder from The 2003 draft.

This was arguably Keim’s worst “Keim Time” signing; and of late, those have been pretty pitiful.

Dayman

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
A retrospective of Keim's 2019 offseason acquisitons

- Signed Robert Alford (IR)
- Signed Brooks Reed (IR)
- Signed Charles Clay (Current Backup / 16 catches)
- Traded for Marcus Gilbert (IR)
- Signed Terell Suggs ( Released)
- Signed Bret Hundley (Cutrent backup)
- Signed Jordan Hicks (Current starter)
- Signed Kevin White (Released in preseason)
- Signed JR Sweezy (Current starter)
- Signed Max Garcia (Still hasn't played)
- Signed Josh Shaw (IR and suspended for gambling)
- Signed Darius Philon (Held a stripper at gunpoint and released in preseason)
- Signed Damiere Byrd (Rotational player / 18 catches)
- Signed Maxx Williams (Current starter / 11 catches)
- Signed Terrell McClain - (Released in preseason)
- Signed Michael Crabtree (Released)
- Traded for Bruce Hector (Released in preseason)
- Signed Cassius Marsh (Current backup / 1 sack)

Those players account for about a third of an NFL roster, and none of them have been productive aside from Hicks, Sweezy and you could make an arguement for Williams.

Keim did well when he had players he inherited from Graves. He has been a joke since most of those players left.

mojorizen7

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Back in '02 i was working at a photo lab in a corner drugstore in Chandler. Suggs had just been drafted and walked in one day. Got him to autograph an ASU sun devil stadium postcard, it was the best idea i could come up with in 1 hour, lol.

I think AZ teams need to be wary of signing older FA vets in general. We've seen many over the years come here and immediately downshift into near retirement cruise control.
Suns, Cards, Dbacks. It's another sports phenomenon tied to climate, unfortunately.

pinetopred

Registered
Reaction score
The Cards are not even pretending that they want to be competitive. Every week cutting guys without really replacing them. Suggs may have been past his best but he was still contributing.

Sent from my Pixel 4 XL using Tapatalk
Your definition of contributing is way different then mine he was a warm body at best. They could almost get anyone off the street to contribute what he was bringing to this teams success or lack there of.

juza76

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
There were many serviceable or good pass rushers in free agency last March, obviously keim turned his attention in to the most washed player

football karma

Happy in the pretense of knowledge
Reaction score
the one that i wonder about is Suggs over Marcus Golden (or even "in addition to")

Golden was one of the teams draftees. Last year was his first year back from a 2017 mid-season ACL injury -- and the general rule is you dont get back to your old self the first year back. Further, he as miscast in Wilks 4-3 and the team was going back to the 3-4.

i get the "nobody was upset he left" take, but you pay a GM millions of $ a year to get decisions like this correct.

its one decision -- but think how much better the roster would be right now:

you would have a guy applying consistent pressure opposite CJ at a cost of $3mm or so -- and certainty that you have our pass rushers for next year.

juza76

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
the one that i wonder about is Suggs over Marcus Golden (or even "in addition to")

Golden was one of the teams draftees. Last year was his first year back from a 2017 mid-season ACL injury -- and the general rule is you dont get back to your old self the first year back. Further, he as miscast in Wilks 4-3 and the team was going back to the 3-4.

i get the "nobody was upset he left" take, but you pay a GM millions of $ a year to get decisions like this correct.

its one decision -- but think how much better the roster would be right now:

you would have a guy applying consistent pressure opposite CJ at a cost of $3mm or so -- and certainty that you have our pass rushers for next year.

Or u could offer the same money to a 25 years old promising pass rusher like shaq Barrett

azsouthendzone

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
A retrospective of Keim's 2019 offseason acquisitons

- Signed Robert Alford (IR)
- Signed Brooks Reed (IR)
- Signed Charles Clay (Current Backup / 16 catches)
- Traded for Marcus Gilbert (IR)
- Signed Terell Suggs ( Released)
- Signed Bret Hundley (Cutrent backup)
- Signed Jordan Hicks (Current starter)
- Signed Kevin White (Released in preseason)
- Signed JR Sweezy (Current starter)
- Signed Max Garcia (Still hasn't played)
- Signed Josh Shaw (IR and suspended for gambling)
- Signed Darius Philon (Held a stripper at gunpoint and released in preseason)
- Signed Damiere Byrd (Rotational player / 18 catches)
- Signed Maxx Williams (Current starter / 11 catches)
- Signed Terrell McClain - (Released in preseason)
- Signed Michael Crabtree (Released)
- Traded for Bruce Hector (Released in preseason)
- Signed Cassius Marsh (Current backup / 1 sack)

Those players account for about a third of an NFL roster, and none of them have been productive aside from Hicks, Sweezy and you could make an arguement for Williams.

Keim did well when he had players he inherited from Graves. He has been a joke since most of those players left.
This is so depressing.

pinetopred

Registered
Reaction score
Emmitt may have been partially a PR move but he was productive and a leader. Signing Suggs is way worse. Not even in the same class.
I completely disagree I sat thru many of those Emmitt being very avg. games being paid like he was still good. Same bill of goods sold he will bring veteran leadership winning mentality. End of the day he brought nothing just like Suggs Both just getting another paycheck , done with these type of players from other teams I'll be ok if we pay Larry (even thou he is just a guy now)but I'm done with us signing other franchises washed up players we don't need them we need our guys to become those washed up collect another paycheck first ballot hall guy from another team

bojack

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Wow. That's a pretty intense move this late in the game. Why? Seems disrespectful, on the surface, but I wonder if maybe Suggs requested it. Like mentioned, maybe he goes back to the Ravens for one last playoff run?

No reason to release him at this point in the season unless there was a disciplinary issue or he requested it. It seems like he sees the Ravens crushing it and wants to get a piece of the glory and officially retire as a Raven and played the cards for one last payday.

FB94

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
We do the opposite of the Patriots. They let guys on the start of their decline go, we sign guys that have bottomed out in hopes they improve.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sarahmoose