What position is our number one priority

Jetstream Green

Kool Aid with a touch of vodka
Reaction score
I say it's center. We will never win anything in the NFC West with this guy anchoring our OL. Kyler could of course step up in the pocket more and develop some awareness but that is not going to happen with Shipley getting pushed back into the backfield. We cannot depend on getting a tough yard between the tackles with this guy anchoring the OL. I do not care how savvy he might be in recognizing protection schemes when he is helpless to carry out what he might see... McGovern with the Broncos would be a nice signing

Zeem_Freeze

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
might be crazy to say but I dont think OL is our biggest issue for the 1st time in forever.

need 3 DL.

BW52

Registered
Reaction score
I say it's center. We will never win anything in the NFC West with this guy anchoring our OL. Kyler could of course step up in the pocket more and develop some awareness but that is not going to happen with Shipley getting pushed back into the backfield. We cannot depend on getting a tough yard between the tackles with this guy anchoring the OL. I do not care how savvy he might be in recognizing protection schemes when he is helpless to carry out what he might see... McGovern with the Broncos would be a nice signing

Pass rusher-another guy to pressure the QB across from Chandler Jones.More pressure forces the Qb to make plays instead of having all day.I want a Passrusher who can hold up versus the run also.

OP
OP
Jetstream Green

Jetstream Green

Reaction score
might be crazy to say but I dont think OL is our biggest issue for the 1st time in forever.

need 3 DL.

If we have to play the Rams twice a year it is in my opinion. I would throw the bank at a guy like McGovern if he reaches free agency and to support BW's concern draft a pass rusher in the first

Chris_Sanders

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
How can this roster need 3 DL, a C, a RT, a #1 WR, 2 LBs, possibly a LT and CB depending

Solar7

Go Suns
Reaction score

need 3 DL.
I'm not gonna come at you in every thread, but you realize we only have 2/5 OL starters under contract for next year, right? Gotta think ahead with contract situations and such. We only have 35 players under contract for next season.

cardpa

Have a Nice Day!
Reaction score
If this defense is going to continue to play a 3-4 defense then I have a 1A and 1B need, a real free safety who can range from sideline to sideline like Harrison Smith, Eric Berry, or Malcolm Jenkins or a premier ILB like Luke Kuechly, Cory Littleton, Kwon Alexander, or Deion Jones.

I am a firm believer that the strongest defenses are built from the inside out. The stronger a defense is up the middle the better it will be.

Zeem_Freeze

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
I'm not gonna come at you in every thread, but you realize we only have 2/5 OL starters under contract for next year, right? Gotta think ahead with contract situations and such. We only have 35 players under contract for next season.

yes I realize that. Everyone outside of our Right Tackles are worth resigning. Could we upgrade the other 4 oline spots? Sure, but I dont think its our biggest need.

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I still think BPA but clearly defense is way behind the offense. We are so weak up the middle, interior DL, ILB, and safety. I hope one of the rookie Thompsons improves but for I think we're going to have to draft or sign both an ILB and interior DL's. It seems like NG is not a first round position in a 3-4 you get a 3-4 DE and then go for a NG either later in the draft or FA.

I still say if Jeudy, or Lamb are sitting there it's hard not to take them because of the impact they will have on the offense but you really have to almost hope the BPA at that point is a defender either the CB from Ohio State, or a DL. Okuda would be a huge impact CB beause if we're going to trade PP you want to have someone to replace him. If we don't trade him then it'd be nice to have 2 young CB's plus PP if he decides he wants to play next year. I'm afraid at this point it appears his comeback was PED related not dietary related.

Solar7

Go Suns
Reaction score
yes I realize that. Everyone outside of our Right Tackles are worth resigning. Could we upgrade the other 4 oline spots? Sure, but I dont think its our biggest need.
The only issue is cost, and wondering if they're really the answers there. I would really prefer to franchise Humphries as opposed to giving him a long-term deal, in the hopes that we can find an upgrade in the draft. Same with Shipley, the guy just doesn't get a lot of push. He reminds me of Lyle Sendlein. Smart and fundamentally sound player, but not a world beater.

Zeem_Freeze

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
The only issue is cost, and wondering if they're really the answers there. I would really prefer to franchise Humphries as opposed to giving him a long-term deal, in the hopes that we can find an upgrade in the draft. Same with Shipley, the guy just doesn't get a lot of push. He reminds me of Lyle Sendlein. Smart and fundamentally sound player, but not a world beater.
I agree we should draft Oline heavy the next couple of years.
I think our current group is adequate enough that we shouldn't throw money at OL in free agency. I think that money would be better spent on our swiss cheese defense.

cardpa

Have a Nice Day!
Reaction score
If the Cardinals lose out and end up in the 3rd or 4th spot I would seriously look at trading down maybe even multiple times and accumulate draft picks in the late first and second round. Two first rounders and three second rounders would give the team an pretty good chance to build a little quicker than sitting on two picks in the first two rounds.

RON_IN_OC

https://www.ronevansrealty.com
Reaction score
#1 position in need of an upgrade is GM...hands down. It's fruitless to continue breaking down and discussing the roster, when the head chef isn't even qualified to flip burgers at McDonald's.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

Harry

ASFN Consultant and Senior Writer
Reaction score
It’s a mistake to get too hung up on one position. It’s not like the Cards are one position from solving their problems. They need to look at this as a 2 year window, try for key FAs & analyze next year’s potential draft pool as well as this year’s. I like getting the most impactful player this year in terms of the long run, not next year’s record.

ARZCardinals

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
1st priority isn't a position on the field - it's GM

You can't make a 5 star meal when the person shopping for the groceries keeps going to the dollar store and spending $40 for every item.

You end up with crappy items and no money - thus the cardinals

WildBB

Yogi n da Bear
Reaction score

I'd like to see us draft a C very early this year, unless Cole goes crazy in the weight room, and really bulks up. What I was hoping from him last off season tho! :rolleyes:

OP
OP
Jetstream Green

Jetstream Green

Reaction score
I'd like to see us draft a C very early this year, unless Cole goes crazy in the weight room, and really bulks up. What I was hoping from him last off season tho! :rolleyes:

Maybe a later round guy to develop, but I also want a free agent with some strength who has played the position and can recognize blitz packages because a young QB in his second year should not have to be burden with a rookie learning on the fly

RON_IN_OC

https://www.ronevansrealty.com
Reaction score
1st priority isn't a position on the field - it's GM

You can't make a 5 star meal when the person shopping for the groceries keeps going to the dollar store and spending $40 for every item.

You end up with crappy items and no money - thus the cardinals
Hey man...there's only room enough for 1 person on this board to use a food reference, regarding the GM...hahahaha

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

Last edited:

Jay Cardinal

Die Hard Cardinals Fan
Reaction score
Got to be DL. This year was absolutely miserable watching teams run out the clock on us. Not a minute or two, but like 5 or 6 first downs, all on the ground.

Cardsfaninlouky

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
We can't go into next season with Murray starting at RT.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk
You're 100% correct. He should be signed as a backup though. He played well in some games I didn't think he would. The Lions & Ravens, plus both games against the 49ers. He has totally stunk it up in other games, especially the last few. Rams & Steelers ate him alive.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Beagleperson