The Luka Report

swagron

All Star
Reaction score
Oh please. This “sky-is-falling” is some toddler-level paranoia.

we’ve nearly recovered from LANCE FREAKIN BLANKS.

Too funny. “Nearly recovered” from Lance Blanks, which was 7 years ago. That IS forever in terms of any type of relevance or consistency.

Raze

Suns fan since '89
Reaction score
Suns made a big mistake they won’t recover from.
By that same logic:

Dallas made a big mistake they won't recover from... by drafting:

Kelly Olynyk two spots ahead of Giannis Antetokounmpo.
or
Dennis Smith Jr. four spots ahead of Donovan Mitchell.

Every year a guy outplays what EVERY scout thought was possible. Luka was the 2018 version. Three teams had a shot on him and passed. Numerous other teams had the assets to move up and grab him but chose not to. The entire NBA is stunned at his output. (Except maybe Goran Dragic who said he'd be this good.)

The Suns are in a good spot and DID NOT screw up the 2018 draft. They took the safest pick for a franchise desperate for stability.

And one more thing to consider: Monty has been working magic with scrubs. What can he do with an elite athletic center like Ayton? It is possible that Ayton also lights the world on fire under Monty's tutelage. Something to revisit at the end of this season.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Good lord, Luka is good. Can we just move on?

some of us like talking about other basketball players, especially ones doing things no kid his age has ever accomplished in the history of the sport. I totally get other suns fans not wanting to read about him anymore, but this is a thread that was purposefully started to confine most things Luka. If you've moved, can't you just ignore the thread instead of coming on it and slagging the people who are still want to talk about him?

Last edited:

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
some of us like talking about other basketball players, especially ones doing things no kid his age has ever accomplished in the history of the sport. I totally get other suns fans not wanting to read about him anymore, but this is a thread that was purposefully started to confine most things Luka. If you've moved, can't you just ignore the thread instead of coming on it and slagging the people who are still want to talk about him?
This isn’t “talking about other basketball players.” This is using Luka as an excuse to tear down Ayton and more specifically the Suns for not picking him. It was and still is the reason for this thread. Deny it if you want but that’s what has happened here.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
This isn’t “talking about other basketball players.” This is using Luka as an excuse to tear down Ayton and more specifically the Suns for not picking him. It was and still is the reason for this thread. Deny it if you want but that’s what has happened here.

If you don't want to read the thread, no one's forcing you. In this thread you basically told people to stop talking about this, told them the real reason they're posting and insulted others as having toddler-level paranoia. Why? Literally no one has started beef with you in this thread and yet you've just come on here to start a fight. If that's all you want to do here, I'd suggest finding a better use of your time.

swagron

All Star
Reaction score

Of course. Players have always been compared with their contemporaries in regards to teams, draft order, etc. People still talk about the trailblazers selecting Sam Bowie over Michael Jordan. That’s part of normal sports discussion. No need to be butt hurt.

Shaggy

Site Owner Administrator
Administrator
Reaction score

Chap, I'd you don't like this thread, stay out of it. No need to rip on members because they post about Luka. Even if it's a comparison type thread to Ayton, so be it. You don't have to come in and view it if you don't like it.

Covert Rain

Father smelt of elderberries!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It's going to be fun tracking Luka's career. I am in awe watching him play. I am with Chap on one point. It's one thing to talk about Luka and it's another to use it to tear down another guy who basically hasn't played this season and everyone said was 2 to 3 years minimum away from reaching his potential. By all means go ahead but it's stupid. Comparisons are fine in the general sense but I am going to give Ayton the time everyone said it would take before I fully judge him.

In the meantime, I love watching Luka play for sure.

pokerface

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
It's going to be fun tracking Luka's career. I am in awe watching him play. I am with Chap on one point. It's one thing to talk about Luka and it's another to use it to tear down another guy who basically hasn't played this season and everyone said was 2 to 3 years minimum away from reaching his potential. By all means go ahead but it's stupid. Comparisons are fine in the general sense but I am going to give Ayton the time everyone said it would take before I fully judge him.

In the meantime, I love watching Luka play for sure.

Plus we need Aytons size up front. And if we had Luka we'd be denying Booker the ball more.

RockinDaMike

Veteran
Reaction score
Wow Lukas Spanish is good. Another huge market for him geez.

I really hope we drafted the the Olajawan of this draft and not the Bowie. Every triple double I see from this kid we missed out on a Jordanesqe player.

Sent from my VOG-L29 using Tapatalk

Western Font

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Pro Basketball Reference doesn't have similarity scores for Ayton yet, but Bowie's list includes Olynyk and McGee for current players, and I am confident Ayton will be much better than both.

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
Wow Lukas Spanish is good. Another huge market for him geez.

I really hope we drafted the the Olajawan of this draft and not the Bowie. Every triple double I see from this kid we missed out on a Jordanesqe player.

Sent from my VOG-L29 using Tapatalk
Geez it’s fine to describe Luka as the best in his draft class, but again, comparing Ayton to Bowie, or even the Bowie pick? WAY off base.

What did Ayton do to inspire such hatred?

CardsSunsDbacks

Not So Skeptical
Reaction score
Geez it’s fine to describe Luka as the best in his draft class, but again, comparing Ayton to Bowie, or even the Bowie pick? WAY off base.

What did Ayton do to inspire such hatred?
I'm sure all he is saying is that he hopes Ayton pans out to be what we were hoping for when he was drafted. Otherwise it's going to be a tough pill to swallow having taken him over Doncic.

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
I'm sure all he is saying is that he hopes Ayton pans out to be what we were hoping for when he was drafted. Otherwise it's going to be a tough pill to swallow having taken him over Doncic.
With Ayton's HISTORICALLY good rookie season, why is he even mentioned in a sentence with Bowie. Luka is that good, but why does it invalidate how good Ayton is or will be?? And that has been a running theme on this board.

CardsSunsDbacks

Not So Skeptical
Reaction score
With Ayton's HISTORICALLY good rookie season, why is he even mentioned in a sentence with Bowie. Luka is that good, but why does it invalidate how good Ayton is or will be?? And that has been a running theme on this board.
I mean Bowie was a good rookie, but just really didn't develop much from there. While Ayton was really good for a rookie last year he still has a ways to go to reach his potential. There is still a possibility that Ayton won't make major strides from his rookie year and if he were to stay somewhere near his rookie level for the remainder of his career that would be a huge disappointment.

Maybe if he weren't suspended he would have already been showing us some big signs of growth already, but unfortunately he has been out (his own fault) and hasn't been able to prove it yet.

Also if you are going to take the comment so literally than that would mean that he is saying that Luka is on the level of MJ and that would be equally (if not more) absurd at this point.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Also if you are going to take the comment so literally than that would mean that he is saying that Luka is on the level of MJ and that would be equally (if not more) absurd at this point.

It would be absurd to compare Luka to Jordan from a career standpoint but IMO Luka compares quite favorably to early MJ.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sarahmoose