Overnight Oats anyone??

jf-08

Guy Smiley
Administrator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I just found out about overnight oats. I bought some MUSH Overnight Oats and they are delicious and handy but expensive as hell.

I want to make my own and found a few easy recipes online but wanted to know if anyone here has a great/easy recipe that they like.

And can they be frozen? I plan on making a pretty big batch for the week and if any left over, freeze for the following week.

Linderbee

Let's GO, CARDINALS!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I feel like there might be some posts about this in the food forum, but I could be wrong.

Absolute Zero

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I just found out about overnight oats. I bought some MUSH Overnight Oats and they are delicious and handy but expensive as hell.

I want to make my own and found a few easy recipes online but wanted to know if anyone here has a great/easy recipe that they like.

And can they be frozen? I plan on making a pretty big batch for the week and if any left over, freeze for the following week.

Sounds interesting, what is the benefit of overnight oats? Never heard of this.

BigRedRage

Reckless
Supporting Member
Reaction score
it was on shark tank at one point too. its just a healthy breakfast option of oats, yogurt and fruit or something.

BigRedRage

Reckless
Supporting Member
Reaction score
with how much ive been eating smoothies, but cannot make them at work due to noise, I wonder if I could make a spinich and fruit smoothie for breakfast, eat this for lunch and then have dinner. Should work, should keep me full, should greatly reduced bad calories, fats and processed garbage. I sit in a desk for a living so Diet is becoming more and more important.

BigRedRage

Reckless
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I currently put rolled oats, spinach, fruit and almond milk in my smoothies. I guess with this the oats wouldnt be chopped but that seems to be the only difference, and it would be thicker. so its just a variation of my smoothie.

DeAnna

Just A Face in The Crowd
Reaction score
it was on shark tank at one point too. its just a healthy breakfast option of oats, yogurt and fruit or something.

That's a very European b'fast - muesli and yogurt.

Overnighting regular oats get too soggy for my taste. I normally overnight the steel cut oats but still cook them in the morning.

BigRedRage

Reckless
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I had a spinach and strawberries smoothie for breakfast this morning. it woke me up much more than coffee but I was still hungry at my normal time so I'm still iffy on adding calories in the morning when I am not hungry, even if they are healthy calories.

Absolute Zero

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Since I have been appointed "oat expert", I better chime in here.

About a decade or so ago, I used to regularly meet with a few gentlemen that were in their 70-80's. They ate oatmeal every morning for breakfast, religiously, for various health benefits, including the high fiber.

So a few years ago, I started stocking the kitchen at my office up with the thick rolled oats from the bulk food section, plus cranberries and walnuts. So when I get to work, I can have a healthy breakfast. I just microwave mine.

I am watching another PCT hiking series on Youtube and the gal on there puts chia seed on her oatmeal. I am going to try that, chia seed is supposed to be super healthy. Yes, its not just for chia pets. ;)

Bada0Bing

Don't Stop Believin'
Reaction score

About a decade or so ago, I used to regularly meet with a few gentlemen that were in their 70-80's. They ate oatmeal every morning for breakfast, religiously, for various health benefits, including the high fiber.

So a few years ago, I started stocking the kitchen at my office up with the thick rolled oats from the bulk food section, plus cranberries and walnuts. So when I get to work, I can have a healthy breakfast. I just microwave mine.

I am watching another PCT hiking series on Youtube and the gal on there puts chia seed on her oatmeal. I am going to try that, chia seed is supposed to be super healthy. Yes, its not just for chia pets. ;)
Chia seeds go in my shake every morning!

Kel Varnsen

Supporting Member
Moderator Emeritus
Reaction score

Some good news on the oat front.

Hälsa Foods, maker of the first and only 100% clean oat milk yogurts, announces today that it is working with dairy farmers to offer the opportunity to grow organic oats as an alternative to dairy farming, and has assembled a coalition to support them with the conversion process.

The oat yogurt brand, founded by Helena Lumme and Mika Manninen, is using a Scandanavian method which reportedly results in cleaner, more nutritious and higher quality oat crops. Hälsa oats are currently grown in Scandinavia with a zero water footprint, and now the process will be brought to farms in North America.

You must be registered for see images attach

©Moving [email protected]
Oats are exploding internationally right now and are emerging as the most popular dairy alternative, with +184% more restaurants adding oat alternatives to their menus last year as consumers showed +146% more interest in them as a dairy alternative.

Hälsa states that it has assembled a coalition of Scandinavian organic farmers, researchers and environmental experts to support the conversion process, and will put together a guide book and a video that will serve as a blueprint for other dairy farms on how to start growing premium oats.

The company explains that the oat is a resilient grain that also provide excellent soil erosion control and reduce the need for herbicides. Oats require much less water than other crops, while almonds, cashews or coconuts used for nut-based milks require excessive amounts of the planet’s fresh water resources.

https://vegconomist.com/companies-a...edium=email&utm_campaign=most-read-16-02-2020

This is the kind of innovation I love. This is a great use of technology that will improve productivity and drastically reduce pesticide use.

Using artificial intelligence, agricultural robots are on the rise

Slowly but surely, a spidery machine about the size of a golf cart swings an electrode over a tray of plants. Every few seconds there is a small puff of smoke as a weed keels over, having been zapped with a high voltage. The device doing the zapping is a prototype weeding robot developed by the Small Robot Company, a new firm operating out of an old munitions depot near Salisbury, in south-west Britain.

Such machines, called “agribots”, are appearing in many shapes and sizes from a variety of companies. Muddy tracks from other prototypes lead into the Small Robot Company’s workshop, where a row of 3d printers make bright orange components out of plastic. That makes parts easier to find should they fall off in a field, which is a sure sign that farmers are at work here, with roboticists and scientists.

Weed control is essential for improving crop yields, but it is getting increasingly difficult. Some weeds are becoming resistant to herbicides, which face stricter regulation and in some cases are being banned. On top of that, many consumers want organic produce. And labour shortages mean that repeatedly tilling the soil to disrupt weed growth using a mechanical hoe towed behind a tractor is costly, time consuming and not always practical.

Weeding is a chore that most farmers would happily hand to robots. But for a robot to do the job properly it must be able to distinguish a weed from what is being cultivated. That is becoming easier with advances in computer vision. Artificial-intelligence (ai) algorithms are getting better at classifying images. Some phone apps can now identify a plant from just a photo. Robots equipped with cameras will not only weed but automate other farming roles. Agribots, driverless tractors and other types of farm automation form an industry that is expected to grow at around 23% a year and to be worth more than $20bn by 2025, according to MarketsandMarkets, an American research firm.

Having spotted a weed, there are several ways to try to kill it. The Small Robot Company’s weeding agribot, called Dick, electrocutes them. The robot’s wheels work like an electrode to make contact with the ground while another electrode is moved to touch the plant. This makes a circuit through the plant and creates heat, effectively boiling the plant’s cells and killing it from stem to root instantly. It can take several thousand volts, although this is adjusted according to the type of weed. The remnants of the plant can then be left to naturally decompose into the soil.

https://www.economist.com/science-a...elligence-agricultural-robots-are-on-the-rise

cwamjn

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Interesting news about oat milk thanks. I don't/can't drink animal milk. I've drink almond milk mostly but it looks like oats are much more sustainable, I'll give it a try.

Bada0Bing

Don't Stop Believin'
Reaction score
Interesting news about oat milk thanks. I don't/can't drink animal milk. I've drink almond milk mostly but it looks like oats are much more sustainable, I'll give it a try.
Yeah, I need to understand the nutrition better, but this is interesting.