Grizzlies @ Suns Wednesday game thread 12-11-19

CardsSunsDbacks

Not So Skeptical
Reaction score
Interesting. He didn’t seem like himself out there. Not aggressive and almost looked uncomfortable with his shot...maybe I was seeing things because of the tape.
He's had that tape for the last couple games. Didn't seem to have any affect on his play against the T-Wolves.

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
More about the tape on Booker's right arm.

Kellan Olson‏Verified account @KellanOlson

Book said the tape he's had near his right wrist since Monday was for a bruise. I followed up and asked if re-aggravated it tonight and he said no.

8:57 PM - 11 Dec 2019

I don't buy it that he didn't re-aggravate it or at least wasn't feeling the effects of it. He's young, he doesn't know how to properly articulate that it bothered him but also didn't want it to be blamed for the loss. I think we'll hear about it in the next day or two, when it won't be viewed as an excuse for the loss tonight. We'll see what happens.

hcsilla

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Yeah. I wanted Clarke or PJ but I've been pleasantly surprised by Cam. I do think we made the wrong decision but I don't think it was a horrible call.

I did not think that Clarke will be that good.

At the same time Cameron Johnson is much better than I expected. His release is so quick that he has no problem to shoot even against good NBA-defenders. He is much quicker than I thought. He can become the longer version of Kyle Korver.

leclerc

The smooth operator
Reaction score
Memphis has some good players. They can be really good in a couple of years with Jaren Jackson Jr and Ja Morant improving. Heck, Dillon (?) Brooks -- one of the Brooks -- outplayed Booker for much of this game.

As the poster formerly known as poop head pointed out, the defense has really dropped since we lost Ser Baynes and I guess Ayton to injury/suspension. Kaminsky is more of a stretch PF than a defensive force underneath. Also I think we're missing Tyler Johnson and Jevon Carter. They always play hard on defense when they're on the floor, inspiring other players such as Booker and Oubre to put in the extra effort on defense.

Phrazbit

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Sorry, but Booker of late has mostly been playing like garbage. He certainly did tonight.

Off shooting night tonight, for sure, but he clearly jammed his wrist at some point. His previous several games had been flat out stellar.

But... I do know you like to discount the "fluke" games... which typically means any good game... so yes, if you discount the like... 80% of the games where Booker has played like an all-star I can see how you'd reach your warped opinion.

Phrazbit

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
You just did, and you have before, as you are entitled to do. And I will continue to admit I was wrong on that one. Will you do the same with respect to where you were wrong? Most important, will James Jones do the same with respect to where he was wrong?

You've, on numerous occasions, said that Baynes was trash and claimed he was "1000 times" worse than Dewayne Dedmon.

You assumed Baynes had an injury similar to Amare's and Penny Hardaway's micro-fracture surgeries.

You, while he was shooting 40% from 3, stated that Cam Johnson's release was too slow to even get a shot off in the NBA.

You stated that Kelly Oubre was going to get a max offer from the Knicks... then when that failed, still claimed with certainty that he was gone.

You, as mentioned here, proclaimed that Ja Morant was the next Isiah Canaan.

You were certain that the Suns would sign any number of terrible point guards, at the same time claiming you'd be fine with Rubio, then once they signed Rubio you promptly compared it to the Tyson Chandler signing...

This is all just off the top of my head.

So, I don't think anyone needs to acknowledge anything on your behalf....

You throw enough feces at the wall and something is bound to stick.

mjb21aztd

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Well disappointed heavily to wake up see suns lost :(

Hope we can beat these kind of teams on a more consistent basis when ayton returns

Also hope booker wrist isn't badly injured

Embarrassing loss suns :( igh

95pro

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Missed a ton of shots and we were still in it. Some baffling no calls for traveling and fouls went in their favor imo. Saric was in foul trouble. I'm blaming the refs for this one...
Sarcasm aside, this was still a winnable game with how terribly it went. Booker is hurt now, seems like we can't get a good flow of our roster going.

I'm still not liking the Jerome over any other backup guard available: Tyler, Carter. To see an experience NBA proven player like Tyler not even sniff the court as a backup is a bit baffling. Is he being held back for a trade, or is Jerome just so much better? And Carter, i'm sure it's definitely not for a lack of effort this he's not playing, so is Jerome just so much better? Jerome does nothing for me, he's just so-not-quick and athletic at all.

We need a back up guard who can score, and i really would like to see Tyler given more minutes and more freedom to help the non-starters get some points on the board while Booker and Rubio are out. Tyler could be key to really save some minutes from Booker and Rubio, looks like we've been riding them for a lot of minutes at guard.

Last edited:

mjb21aztd

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Missed a ton of shots and we were still in it. Some baffling no calls for traveling and fouls went in their favor imo. Saric was in foul trouble. I'm blaming the refs for this one...
Sarcasm aside, this was still a winnable game with how terribly it went. Booker is hurt now, seems like we can't get a good flow of our roster going.

I'm still not liking the Jerome over any other backup guard available: Tyler, Carter. To see an experience NBA proven player like Tyler not even sniff the court as a backup is a bit baffling. Is he being held back for a trade, or is Jerome just so much better? And Carter, i'm sure it's definitely not for a lack of effort this he's not playing, so is Jerome just so much better? We need a back up guard who can score, and i really would like to see Tyler given more minutes and more freedom to help the non-starters get some points on the board while Booker and Rubio are out. Jerome does nothing for me, he's just so-not-quick and athletic at all.
Yea i agree Jerome misses like 85 percent of his shots and turns it over a bit

Hoping Jerome turns it around but losing my confidence in him :(

CardsSunsDbacks

Not So Skeptical
Reaction score
Yea i agree Jerome misses like 85 percent of his shots and turns it over a bit

Hoping Jerome turns it around but losing my confidence in him :(
Give him some time. The guy certainly doesn’t have his conditioning yet and that will have a profound effect on pretty much everything, shooting included.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I don't buy it that he didn't re-aggravate it or at least wasn't feeling the effects of it. He's young, he doesn't know how to properly articulate that it bothered him but also didn't want it to be blamed for the loss. I think we'll hear about it in the next day or two, when it won't be viewed as an excuse for the loss tonight. We'll see what happens.

Agree. I think Booker views himself as the team leader even if that means playing with pain. Hopefully the issue is not something that lingers.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Memphis has some good players. They can be really good in a couple of years with Jaren Jackson Jr and Ja Morant improving. Heck, Dillon (?) Brooks -- one of the Brooks -- outplayed Booker for much of this game.

As the poster formerly known as poop head pointed out, the defense has really dropped since we lost Ser Baynes and I guess Ayton to injury/suspension. Kaminsky is more of a stretch PF than a defensive force underneath. Also I think we're missing Tyler Johnson and Jevon Carter. They always play hard on defense when they're on the floor, inspiring other players such as Booker and Oubre to put in the extra effort on defense.

I think you are onto something about the Suns missing Tyler Johnson and Jevon Carter on defense plus of course a healthy Baynes and Ayton.

WildBB

Yogi n da Bear
Reaction score
DeAnthony Melton put up +22 yesterday.

Brandon Clarke +18

Next closest was Tyus Jones +13.

Yeah, keep giving time to rookies they've yet to earn, something MW stressed b4 the season started wouldn't happen.

WildBB

Yogi n da Bear
Reaction score
I think you are onto something about the Suns missing Tyler Johnson and Jevon Carter on defense plus of course a healthy Baynes and Ayton.
TJ is sitting because they're afraid of him getting an injury right now.

And it might not be sitting well with the starters.

Jerome offered zip yesterday....nada. He's hasn't earned any prime minutes as of probably before last night.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
TJ is sitting because they're afraid of him getting an injury right now.

This is a possibility but his expiring contract is the most valuable part of any trade. Even if Tyler were injured his contract would be valuable in making a trade work.

Obviously it would be better if Tyler were not injured but it might not be a deal breaker if the other team agrees to it. They can waive this part of the trade.

Last edited:

WildBB

Yogi n da Bear
Reaction score
This is a possibility but his his expiring contract is the most valuable part of any trade. Even if Tyler were injured his contract would be valuable in making a trade work.

Obviously it would be better if Tyler were not injured but it might not be a deal breaker if the other team agrees to it. They can waive this part of the trade.
Depends on the seriousness of the injury. Nonetheless, I don't believe it sits well with the vets on the team.

Western Font

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Since I don't assemble the roster, but do cheer for the roster assembled, I prefer to compare Cam's rookie performance to previous Suns rookies rather than to Clarke. He has absolutely outplayed everyone since Booker. And honestly, before that it's not exactly an all-rookie squad until you get to Amare.

itlnsunsfan

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Since I don't assemble the roster, but do cheer for the roster assembled, I prefer to compare Cam's rookie performance to previous Suns rookies rather than to Clarke. He has absolutely outplayed everyone since Booker. And honestly, before that it's not exactly an all-rookie squad until you get to Amare.

This is a good point.

WildBB

Yogi n da Bear
Reaction score
One of the problems is that he's closing games presently. Has he earned that!? Saric has been pretty inconsistent I'll admit. What about Bridges, he's their best outside defender. Kaminski was the only one shooting HOT yesterday.

Clarke has his place on Memphis.

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

That's a good way to look at it but at the same time I think you're forgetting Warren and Markieff. Of course neither of them played at Booker's level either but their draft positioning was about the same as Cam and they produced similarly. Just comparing the 3 of them, Cam is outplaying them so far. I think we'll all be pretty happy if he ends up having a career that's better than them also.

You must be registered for see images attach

Here's the link to the BBRef page comparing them if people want to compare more than their basic stats and look at advanced stats or something.

1Sun

ASFN Addict
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
That's a good way to look at it but at the same time I think you're forgetting Warren and Markieff. Of course neither of them played at Booker's level either but their draft positioning was about the same as Cam and they produced similarly. Just comparing the 3 of them, Cam is outplaying them so far. I think we'll all be pretty happy if he ends up having a career that's better than them also.

You must be registered for see images attach

Here's the link to the BBRef page comparing them if people want to compare more than their basic stats and look at advanced stats or something.

It would be an absolute disaster if all the #6 pick in the 2019 draft yielded was someone whose production ends up being comparable to Warren or Markeiff.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
PicksFromDave