About Larry...

Cardsfaninlouky

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
As I stated in another thread, until someone can definitively pinpoint precisely how paying Larry $11 million is keeping the team from being better, I'm totally down with paying Fitz for as long as he chooses to lace 'em up each Sunday!
As long as he's still productive. He's still productive & stays in excellent shape. Pay the man.

Cardsfaninlouky

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
I love the guys you mentioned, and I saw all of them in their prime, but Fitz is the best Cardinal player ever, and it's not even close.
Spot on man. He mentioned good Cardinals but put him on those St.Louis teams & see whom Jim Hart targeted the most? Not even close. Larry is the best Cardinal ever.

Cardsfaninlouky

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Larry Wilson 13 years 8 pro-bowls 5 All-Pro HOF in first year eligible. 52 INTs 5 TDs
played with casts on both hands and intercepted passes.Played 2 weeks after suffering a collasped lung. Bobby Layne said " Larry Wilson pound for pound is the toughest guy in the league".Bobby Layne was a tough guy also.last QB to play a season without a facemask.1962.
Larry Wilson was a tough SOB no doubt, you could argue best defensive Cardinal ever but not overall imo. Fitz is the best.

Cardsfaninlouky

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
In addition to metrics, I also like consider how a player performs according to the (dreaded!) eye test.

For example, I'm still seeing Fitz make tough catches over the middle. Taking hard hits, and holding on to the ball. Sometimes he's making catches with guys draped all over him.

Also, it's weird how he's able to (many times) get through traffic for additional yardage after the catch, where at first glance it appears there's really no room to run.

I'm not saying that you aren't what your metrics say you are, but just that there should be a slight adjustment to someone's performance evaluation based on game tape. For Fitz, his game tape points to, in my humble opinion, a slightly better performance evaluation than 56th in DVOA.

As far as leadership? We know Fitz will give the company line, and that he won't make trouble, which counts for something. That's a good thing to have for a rookie coach. He's still a fiery competitor. Still gives it 125% on the field.

I wish he would take a little pay cut, but whatevs. It's not enough dollars to get worked up about. I don't think an extra available three our four million will get us to the superbowl in 2020.
Exactly. Larry is as sure handed as we have. Hardly ever drops passes. He makes the tough catches. Sure, his separation is no longer there but what if we add a #1 WR with speed? That will allow him a little more wiggle room for the catches underneath. He's still in great shape. Maybe he will take a pay cut down to like 8-9 million?

MadCardDisease

Supporting Member
Reaction score
We would all love him even more if he takes the hometown discount.

But the Cards forcing the pay cut? That will get out to the public. And Larry retires or, god forbid, plays for another team? Like.... Seattle?

It would be PR nightmare for the franchise. PR has value, corporations pay a lot of money for good PR. I dont think Bidwill would that stupid.

At some point it comes time to cut the cord with great players an move on. Let some other team overpay for an aging great player trying to get one last paycheck or pad some stats.

The Cowboys did it with Emmitt Smith

The Ravens did it with Terrell Suggs

Ironically the Cardinals were on the wrong end of both of those deals.

phillycard

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
At some point it comes time to cut the cord with great players an move on. Let some other team overpay for an aging great player trying to get one last paycheck or pad some stats.

The Cowboys did it with Emmitt Smith

The Ravens did it with Terrell Suggs

Ironically the Cardinals were on the wrong end of both of those deals.

The difference is those players were champions at that point in their careers. Larry deserves every shot to go out a winner. He's stood by this organization (and yes, gotten paid handsomely in the process) but I will personally be forever scarred if the greatest Cardinal ever fails to get to the mountaintop. I'm dead serious when I say that he can play as long as he wants for my team as far as I'm concerned, decreased production be damned. We may not realize it now, but it will be a sad and surreal day when we no longer see #11 and his dreads.

Shane

Current STAR
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The difference is those players were champions at that point in their careers. Larry deserves every shot to go out a winner. He's stood by this organization (and yes, gotten paid handsomely in the process) but I will personally be forever scarred if the greatest Cardinal ever fails to get to the mountaintop. I'm dead serious when I say that he can play as long as he wants for my team as far as I'm concerned, decreased production be damned.

:biglaugh:

love ya bro but you cray cray

Shane

Current STAR
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Shane, I can't help it! The dude has at many times been the only compelling reason to watch the Arizona Cardinals. I'm forever in his debt, he's brought me so much enjoyment!

Me too... but it’s still a business. That’s how you remain in the depths hanging on too long to players that just aren’t what they used to be. If he wants to stay around on the cheap based upon his production? Absolutely. But to give him a 8 figure salary just because ibis name is Larry Fitzgerald is thinking and operating with your heart and not your head.

Last edited:

Ronin

…..
Super Moderator
Reaction score
scott bordow (@sbordow)
12/12/19, 2:46 PM
Once again, Larry Fitzgerald giving no hints as to whether he'll retire and Sunday will be his final home game: “It could be. You never know. You never know. I don’t give it much thought. I’ve told you before, I stay in the moment, man. The career will end. When it ends, it end.”

Ronin

…..
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Larry Fitzgerald Sr.

@FitzBeatSr
· 5m
If today is my last after 16 years Cardinals game supporting & watching my son play in Arizona.I’m grateful for all the Arizona fan http://support.In helping loving and always supporting him.Through it all.Who knows what the future has thank you all.

bojack

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Anyone doubting that Larry is worth every penny of $11m on a year to year basis is out of their mind. And anyone thinking pinching pennies to save $3M to 5M on a reduced contract or let him retire would actually move the needle, especially with Keim at the helm has lot it even more.

Timm Rosenbach

Bye Bye DJ
Reaction score
Larry Fitzgerald Sr.

@FitzBeatSr
· 5m
If today is my last after 16 years Cardinals game supporting & watching my son play in Arizona.I’m grateful for all the Arizona fan http://support.In helping loving and always supporting him.Through it all.Who knows what the future has thank you all.

His father is a jerk. It has been proven time and time again that the Larry Fitzgerald we know in Arizona is nothing like his father or brother. We should not listen to anything to what his father says

Finito

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Anyone doubting that Larry is worth every penny of $11m on a year to year basis is out of their mind. And anyone thinking pinching pennies to save $3M to 5M on a reduced contract or let him retire would actually move the needle, especially with Keim at the helm has lot it even more.

nope we need that money elsewhere

Chris_Sanders

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The difference is those players were champions at that point in their careers. Larry deserves every shot to go out a winner. He's stood by this organization (and yes, gotten paid handsomely in the process) but I will personally be forever scarred if the greatest Cardinal ever fails to get to the mountaintop. I'm dead serious when I say that he can play as long as he wants for my team as far as I'm concerned, decreased production be damned. We may not realize it now, but it will be a sad and surreal day when we no longer see #11 and his dreads.

100%

DumboD

Rookie
Reaction score
I think Larry will know when it's time to call it quits. But overpaying players for what they've done in the past may draw fans, but it's unlikely to lead to more wins. I believe the Cardinals organisation should be able to find a spot in the front office or even as a coach, so that Larry can continue to use his leadership and mentoring skills to help the team.
It's sad when a great player like Terrell Suggs get cut from the team that he had contributed so much for so long to...the Ravens, not the Cardinals obviously. Larry's one-year deals are a sign to me that he doesn't want to be one of those players who stick around too long.

82CardsGrad

7 x 70
Reaction score
This is hysterical!

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">Even better, as we were standing there laughing, I looked at Seattle media members who thought Larry was dead serious instead of poking fun at -- his Dad. <a href="https://t.co/WxNoRgdFeZ">https://t.co/WxNoRgdFeZ</a></p>&mdash; Paul Calvisi (@PaulCalvisi) <a href="
xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media
">December 23, 2019</a></blockquote> <script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sarahmoose