Arizona Basketball 2019-2020

GatorAZ

feed hopkins
Reaction score
xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

Someone get Miller some of that clinical strength antiperspirant.

I can’t blame him for looking like he’s been stress eating but for all people to not wear an undershirt...

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Meanwhile, what happened to the open, aggresssive, fast paced style of play we were cheering in the first few games?

It seems we have gone back to the same old plodding Sean Miller system that seems to do nothing but hold our own players back.

I saw from about 3 minutes in to the 14 point lead in the first half and then the last 3 minutes. I don't think the issue in scoring was Arizona's pace, they just couldn't make a 3, 2-18 for the game. Baylor isn't going to let you play an extreme pace to begin with and the first half when I was watching the amount of physical play allowed was very high so it was pretty obvious it was going to be low scoring.

I hate refs that work one way the whole game(what I saw) and then change at the end. Allowed tons of contact including the drive by Bandoo that missed. Then on a flip of a switch they call a foul on Bandoo against Nnaji and then a foul on Nnaji for his knee tripping up the driver that in both cases was not a foul the first 38 minutes of the game. I got why Miller was so hot on the Nnaji foul but at the other end I seriously doubt Bandoo actually pushed hard enough to drive Nnaji out of bounds to the floor I think Zeke got bumped off his spot and just decided to play up to the ref and got the call.

I think this game is a bit better barometer of how good a 3 point shooter Josh Green is, he can make the really open ones but he has a bit of a hitch in his shot and against better defenses I think he's going to shoot less than the 39% he was shooting coming in. But he is so good at other things and his shot is fixable.

I thnk the concern in this game was really the defense not the offense, not the overall defense, the interior defense. With Chase and Zeke in there I just don't see why they couldn't stop Gillespie. I get that he's not a scorer and they were playing to stop the guards but he was getting point blank layups the whole time I watched, both his misses in fact were point blank layups. He went 6-8 and I didn't see him take a shot beyond 2 feet, way too easy to get the ball inside to him.

But you probably won't play too many teams with better guards than Baylor.

1Sun

ASFN Addict
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
I saw from about 3 minutes in to the 14 point lead in the first half and then the last 3 minutes. I don't think the issue in scoring was Arizona's pace, they just couldn't make a 3, 2-18 for the game. Baylor isn't going to let you play an extreme pace to begin with and the first half when I was watching the amount of physical play allowed was very high so it was pretty obvious it was going to be low scoring.

I hate refs that work one way the whole game(what I saw) and then change at the end. Allowed tons of contact including the drive by Bandoo that missed. Then on a flip of a switch they call a foul on Bandoo against Nnaji and then a foul on Nnaji for his knee tripping up the driver that in both cases was not a foul the first 38 minutes of the game. I got why Miller was so hot on the Nnaji foul but at the other end I seriously doubt Bandoo actually pushed hard enough to drive Nnaji out of bounds to the floor I think Zeke got bumped off his spot and just decided to play up to the ref and got the call.

I think this game is a bit better barometer of how good a 3 point shooter Josh Green is, he can make the really open ones but he has a bit of a hitch in his shot and against better defenses I think he's going to shoot less than the 39% he was shooting coming in. But he is so good at other things and his shot is fixable.

I thnk the concern in this game was really the defense not the offense, not the overall defense, the interior defense. With Chase and Zeke in there I just don't see why they couldn't stop Gillespie. I get that he's not a scorer and they were playing to stop the guards but he was getting point blank layups the whole time I watched, both his misses in fact were point blank layups. He went 6-8 and I didn't see him take a shot beyond 2 feet, way too easy to get the ball inside to him.

But you probably won't play too many teams with better guards than Baylor.

Sadly, Chase has become a shell of himself, Nnaji came crashing down to earth, Lee never developed, and Koloko just isn't ready. Jeter is the biggest puzzler. He has been on a straight downward trajectory since the early part of the Pac 12 season last year.

GatorAZ

feed hopkins
Reaction score
Sadly, Chase has become a shell of himself, Nnaji came crashing down to earth, Lee never developed, and Koloko just isn't ready. Jeter is the biggest puzzler. He has been on a straight downward trajectory since the early part of the Pac 12 season last year.

Jeter just isn’t a difference maker. A 22-year old skilled big that’s somewhat athletic should be scoring and rebounding consistently in college... Hopefully Jordan Brown doesn’t follow suit.

Timm Rosenbach

Bye Bye DJ
Reaction score

It’s only December. Too negative. Check back in March

Reactions: TJ
OP
OP
TJ

TJ

Frank Kaminsky is my Hero.
Reaction score
Jimmy Dykes wasn’t ready for that smoke that Miller was offering

1Sun

ASFN Addict
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Outstanding performance tonight. I hope it carries to this weekend.

1Sun

ASFN Addict
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Watching Oregon-Michigan. Unfortunately we're not anywhere near the same level as Oregon at this point. If we were to play them right now, we lose by at least 20.

OP
OP
TJ

TJ

Reaction score
Watching Oregon-Michigan. Unfortunately we're not anywhere near the same level as Oregon at this point. If we were to play them right now, we lose by at least 20.
You must be registered for see images attach

1Sun

ASFN Addict
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
How the heck did it take Nico Mannion less than 2 months to go from the best point guard in the country to absolute trash???

OP
OP
TJ

TJ

Reaction score
How the heck did it take Nico Mannion less than 2 months to go from the best point guard in the country to absolute trash???

Dude had a double-double on Wednesday. He’s not absolute trash. But this team’s not going to beat any ranked team with him playing like this. Miller should’ve kept Baker out there a bit longer in the middle of the second half as momentum seemed to have swung back to us.

1Sun

ASFN Addict
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Dude had a double-double on Wednesday. He’s not absolute trash. But this team’s not going to beat any ranked team with him playing like this. Miller should’ve kept Baker out there a bit longer in the middle of the second half as momentum seemed to have swung back to us.

The sad thing is that our front court, which was supposed to be our weakness in this game, hung in there and played even.

Our backcourt, outside of Baker, played like garbage.

And this isn't freaking Nebraska-Omaha missing it's best player.

Can we agree that this team, at least right now, isn't ready to compete with the likes of Baylor and Gonzaga, and that Oregon is by far the class of the conference?

This was supposed to be our year for a Final Four run, but instead we can't come close to beating anyone decent, we are at best the fourth best team in the conference, we only have one recruit coming in for next year, and we still have the cloud of an NCAA investigation over us.

At this point, I think it is just time to rip off the band-aid, fire Miller and start over. Frankly, we probably should have fired him two years ago when the Book Richardson stuff surfaced.

OP
OP
TJ

TJ

Reaction score
The sad thing is that our front court, which was supposed to be our weakness in this game, hung in there and played even.

Our backcourt, outside of Baker, played like garbage.

And this isn't freaking Nebraska-Omaha missing it's best player.

Can we agree that this team, at least right now, isn't ready to compete with the likes of Baylor and Gonzaga, and that Oregon is by far the class of the conference?

This was supposed to be our year for a Final Four run, but instead we can't come close to beating anyone decent, we are at best the fourth best team in the conference, we only have one recruit coming in for next year, and we still have the cloud of an NCAA investigation over us.

At this point, I think it is just time to rip off the band-aid, fire Miller and start over. Frankly, we probably should have fired him two years ago when the Book Richardson stuff surfaced.

There aren’t three teams in the conference better than Arizona. Oregon, yes, but that could easily change.

We lost by four to Gonzaga with Nico playing awful. He plays average, we win. This team isn’t that far off.

OP
OP
TJ

TJ

Reaction score

Not blaming Nico, but this shows that even if he’s an average player offensively, he gives us a chance.

1Sun

ASFN Addict
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
There aren’t three teams in the conference better than Arizona. Oregon, yes, but that could easily change.

We lost by four to Gonzaga with Nico playing awful. He plays average, we win. This team isn’t that far off.

We were down 16 with less than 3 minutes remaining, just like we were down 11 to Baylor with 2 minutes remaining. Those scores were close because our opponents let up.

And right now, Washington and arguably some combination of Colorado, Stanford, USC and ASU are playing better than we are.

Last edited:
OP
OP
TJ

TJ

Reaction score
We were down 13 with less than 3 minutes remaining, just like we were down 11 to Baylor with 2 minutes remaining. Those scores were close because our opponents let up.

And right now, Washington and arguably some combination of Colorado, Stanford, USC and ASU are playing better than we are.

ASU who should’ve lost to a winless Ivy League team and Colorado who lost a buy-in game at home. USC? LOL. Washington is close, but they just aren’t as good.

1Sun

ASFN Addict
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score

Not blaming Nico, but this shows that even if he’s an average player offensively, he gives us a chance.

And yet, under Sean Miller, he has gone from being one of the best offensive players in the country to this. This has happened to guards way too much under Sean Miller (Josiah Turner, Nick Johnson before it took him 2 years to recover, Gabe York, Daniel Bejarano, Justin Simon, Kobi Simmons, Allonzo Trier, Rawle Alkins, Brandon Randolph, etc.)...

Last edited:

1Sun

ASFN Addict
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
ASU who should’ve lost to a winless Ivy League team and Colorado who lost a buy-in game at home. USC? LOL. Washington is close, but they just aren’t as good.

And yet all four of those teams have a more quality win on their resume than we do. Our best win is on a neutral floor against Wake Forest. That really isn't NCAA Tournament worthy, let alone indicative of a pending Final Four run...

GatorAZ

feed hopkins
Reaction score
My expectations are reset. Oregon has the better team and coach but we’re still young and have room to grow.

Josh Green looks like the only potential lotto pick right now

Man if the end of Lute’s tenure was a little bit more clean Few would’ve been a perfect replacement.

OP
OP
TJ

TJ

Reaction score
And yet all four of those teams have a more quality win on their resume than we do. Our best win is on a neutral floor against Wake Forest. That really isn't NCAA Tournament worthy, let alone indicative of a pending Final Four run...
Illinois is a KenPom Top-30 team.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1Sun

ASFN Addict
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Illinois is a KenPom Top-30 team.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I hadn't realized that. And if this team were playing anywhere near as well as it did against Illinois back at the beginning of the season, I wouldn't be this upset. Unfortunately it appears right now that this team is going backwards...