Word of Muth: Anatomy of Four Sacks

Jetstream Green

Kool Aid with a touch of vodka
Reaction score
Nice article and I stated in a previous thread that Shipley created this OL folding of cards because he's the keystone at center, not being able to match up remotely against a dynamic player like Donald and never has. We would be better served throwing a strong brawler up the gut than trust Shipley. We play in the NFC West, and face the Rams twice, so we have to have a elite center whether we like it or not... if the objective is to win a championship, we need a strong center for an anchor and not just a savvy guy

Cardsfaninlouky

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Nice article and I stated in a previous thread that Shipley created this OL folding of cards because he's the keystone at center, not being able to match up remotely against a dynamic player like Donald and never has. We would be better served throwing a strong brawler up the gut than trust Shipley. We play in the NFC West, and face the Rams twice, so we have to have a elite center whether we like it or not... if the objective is to win a championship, we need a strong center for an anchor and not just a savvy guy
I wonder how strong Galliard (sp) is? Do you think our coaches feel like he's our future C? I know we have Mason Cole & all but I'm not sure if he's strong enough to handle Donald either? Galliard had to play against some pretty strong DL'men at Georgia in the SEC. That's as close to an NFL DL as you will see in college.

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
I wonder how strong Galliard (sp) is? Do you think our coaches feel like he's our future C? I know we have Mason Cole & all but I'm not sure if he's strong enough to handle Donald either? Galliard had to play against some pretty strong DL'men at Georgia in the SEC. That's as close to an NFL DL as you will see in college.
Not many dudes "handle" Aaron Donald. My issue with Shipley is that he is not really good at anything. He isn't a force in the running game and he isn't great in pass pro.

This game highlighted a big point of mine regarding this offensive line. You have to upgrade it because this group, as a unit, is too flawed. It is a bunch of dudes who can play in the NFL which is a nice change, but it is a bunch of dudes who all struggle to consistently win one-on-one matchups. That is one reason I would prioritize offensive line this offseason over other needs.

Cardsfaninlouky

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Not many dudes "handle" Aaron Donald. My issue with Shipley is that he is not really good at anything. He isn't a force in the running game and he isn't great in pass pro.

This game highlighted a big point of mine regarding this offensive line. You have to upgrade it because this group, as a unit, is too flawed. It is a bunch of dudes who can play in the NFL which is a nice change, but it is a bunch of dudes who all struggle to consistently win one-on-one matchups. That is one reason I would prioritize offensive line this offseason over other needs.
I hear you. It won't disappoint me if we do go OT first, as long as we can get the dude at Iowa or Thomas from Georgia. Just watching the game Sunday against the Steelers, yes our OL struggled to protect KM. That being said, our DL couldn't get any pressure on "Duck" & our defense missed tackle after tackle. We have so many team needs, gotta start somewhere. Hopefully whatever we don't get in March (FA) we will get in the draft a month later? No reason we can't get enough players on both sides of the ball to compete next season. If SK doesn't screw it up again? He says they have a plan. Well duh................that's your job dude, get it right for a change.

wit3card

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
it's the same theme like with sendline, great guy but not great player.

We need to upgrade the Center position so hard and that not since this year but basically since 2013 or so.

All starts and falls with your Center and if he wins his matchups and can dominate, than you can get away with a soso LG and RG and only need a good LT and RT because the Center will help them.

Since we are now a more Air-Raid offense, we might need more upgrade on our O-line.

Hump is okayish and in a season were you want to get a better O-line he has to stay, but you need a new Left Guard, Center, Right Guard and Right Tackle.

This guys aren't bad, but for what we try in our division, they aren't good enough. Our division is the best in the NFL and will be probably for the next 2-6 years just because of the Coaches and some players and how the teams are build.

So we need a LG a C a RG and a RT and you can't draft all of them in one year since that is a sure way to get a turnstile O-line, max we can draft two guys and that it is. So if none of our C on the bench is really better then AQ try to get the best one in FA or trough trade. But from what I understand drafties need one year on C position nowadays.

dscher

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

Yay. The endless journey of Steve keim "prioritizing" the o line.

:barf:

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
Yay. The endless journey of Steve keim "prioritizing" the o line.

:barf:
Yeah. The offensive line it tough because it has been significantly better than it was, but we are also seeing it max out it's capabilities.

I do think we have some pieces. We just need to find ways to add some more top end talent. It is similar to our situation at WR. We need a true #1 more than we need more #3s. I am interested in how much say Kugler will get, and how he dictates how this position is addressed moving forward. I don't know that we will ever really know, but I am curious.

OP
OP
kerouac9

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
Yeah. The offensive line it tough because it has been significantly better than it was, but we are also seeing it max out it's capabilities.

I do think we have some pieces. We just need to find ways to add some more top end talent. It is similar to our situation at WR. We need a true #1 more than we need more #3s. I am interested in how much say Kugler will get, and how he dictates how this position is addressed moving forward. I don't know that we will ever really know, but I am curious.

If we could add one offensive lineman on top of the talent pool and kick out the worst guy (it's clearly Justin Murray), we'd be in pretty good shape. There are lines where the worst guy isn't as good as J.R. Sweezy or A.Q. Shipley.

I have very little doubt that Keim will sign the highest-rated player by PFF available, regardless of system fit, though.

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score
If we could add one offensive lineman on top of the talent pool and kick out the worst guy (it's clearly Justin Murray), we'd be in pretty good shape. There are lines where the worst guy isn't as good as J.R. Sweezy or A.Q. Shipley.

I have very little doubt that Keim will sign the highest-rated player by PFF available, regardless of system fit, though.

I dont trust Keim at all on the offensive line.

I wonder how much Kugler's influence has helped?

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
If we could add one offensive lineman on tp of the talent pool and kick out the worst guy (it's clearly Justin Murray), we'd be in pretty good shape. There are lines where the worst guy isn't as good as J.R. Sweezy or A.Q. Shipley.

A couple touch points that will be telling once the league year ends.

1-Do they re-sign Humphries?

2-Do they sign a C other than Shipley?

3-Do they pay more that 7 mil per year for a RT?

That will tell is all we need to know. If they re-sign Humphries and sign a high dollar RT, we are not taking an OT high in this draft. If one of those two things does not happen, it is almost a lock that we will.

OP
OP
kerouac9

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
Not signing free agents because you think you can plug a hole in the draft is the most Sale Ole Cards thing ever. It's something good teams don't do because it absolutely hamstrings your ability to make strategic moves in the draft.

It's literally the reason we passed on Adrian Peterson to draft Levi Brown. It's literally the reason we passed on Terrell Suggs to draft Bryant Johnson and Calvin Pace.

SMDH.

Dr. Jones

Has No Time For Love
Reaction score
Not signing free agents because you think you can plug a hole in the draft is the most Sale Ole Cards thing ever. It's something good teams don't do because it absolutely hamstrings your ability to make strategic moves in the draft.

It's literally the reason we passed on Adrian Peterson to draft Levi Brown. It's literally the reason we passed on Terrell Suggs to draft Bryant Johnson and Calvin Pace.

SMDH.
Agreed. We have to keep Hump IMO.

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score

SMDH.
If you liked both of the top two or three OTs in the draft, it is not unthinkable or negligent to only re-sign Humphries and Murray.

BigDavis75

Making a Comeback
Reaction score

SMDH.

We have Suggs now, it was all part of the plan.

OP
OP
kerouac9

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
If you liked both of the top two or three OTs in the draft, it is not unthinkable or negligent to only re-sign Humphries and Murray.

It's not unthinkable — it's the kind of thing bad teams do all the time. But it is negligent for the reasons that I outlined above. There is every chance that the draft pick you're depending on is unready to play, or gets injured in training camp, or is Buster Davis, and then you've crippled your team for a season.

gimpy

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Buster Davis? Drawing a blank here.

Ah, just goggled him. Drafted by the Cards, but apparently didn't get to play any with them?

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sarahmoose