Kyler Murray is a Rookie

Cardsfaninlouky

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
I don't understand why people have to constantly talk about Josh Rosen when Kyler Murray is criticized.
Rosen shouldn't have been brought up, you're 100% correct on that. However his name was brought up by a poster on here & looks to stay in this thread. I guess they felt inclined to compare 2018 (3 win team first round QB play) to this (3 win team first round QB play) Rosen was put in a bad situation here & got traded to another, he'll probably end up with the Patriots lol? So far I've witnessed KM do things Rosen can't do, more consistently. At the end of the day, we still suck. I truly believe in KM, can't wait to see what we put around him in the offseason.

Cardsfaninlouky

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
ILB shouldn’t even be a consideration. Especially in the top 5-7.
Vallejo played well Sunday. He was our best defender in preseason, pissed me off when they cut him. Glad he's back, hope they keep him? Both lines need help, that's what I hope we do first. CB & a #1 type WR also, then maybe another ILB?

SoonerLou

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Dude. The takes after a loss are something special.

We will be fine guys. Go hug a family member.
I get being upset about the losses and poor play. However, based on tape and metrics seems far more good than bad. Being middle of the pack with this roster should bring optimism.
I'm not ready to go "Mini-Mariota" (for my own mental well-being) but I haven't seen very much to get excited about from him moving forward. He has a LONG way to go to be anything better than average. Today's game was tougher for me that last weeks, because for me, alpha males & top competitors take a game like this over. Not only did Kyler not do this, but he looked overwhelmed for a majority of it.
Lamar Jackson was actually worse than Kyler was throwing the ball against this Steelers defense. His defense won the game for him.

He's currently the favorite for MVP.

I watch Josh Allen make plays with his legs all the time behind a bad OL.

I think Kyler is one of the most un-athletic athletic QBs I’ve seen. He almost never out runs a DE to escape the pocket and goes down like a JJ Arrington.
I hope he gets better but, right now, he’s JJ Arrington that can make an occasional throw.
I think its a combination of two things. One can maybe fixed the other..probably not.

1. I think part of is the weight gain. He's not as fast or quick as he was in college. Some guys it takes a year or so to gain muscle and still retain that kind of speed. It happened with Lamar. Although he rushed for some yards last year he didn't look as dynamic as he did in college imo. Had a full NFL off season and redefined his body to fit for the NFL. Lets hope the same for Kyler.

2. Well...he's got short legs/strides. Sometimes him taking a sidestep or trying to get around the edge doesn't get a lot of distance. Defenders are able to close the gap on him quickly because he's just as explosive in short distance.

I think the fact he's got caught so much is jarring for him.

So he needs to figure out how to be as explosive as he was last year.

Should be noted that Allen has a worse QBR than Kyler, runs into sacks just like him and Bills fans are less optimistic about his ability to throw.

SoonerLou

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Thread title checks out. KM has had a superb rookie season until the bye, considering the cards he's been dealt: bad OL, WRs who can't seperate, rookie HC/OC getting his first NFL coaching experience. Since after the bye, defenses are totally crashing down on us. Our OL, that looked at times like being not among the worst units out there, has returned to its 2018 ways. You can tell KM is clearly rattled and it hurt his usually sound decision-making. At the end of the day, what we are seeing after the bye is most likely something like the infamous "sophomore" slump. KM has hit a plateau, although it's not all on him. I'm confident he will get better next season. The question is: can we bolster the OL and defense to where we are at least below average and not rock bottom...
Kyler Murray was the 7th ranked QB in QBR before pulling his hammy and playing two really good defenses fighting for their playoff lives. Having the most productive season a 1st round QB has had since Andrew Luck.

I don't know if it stems from pre-draft bias or just the negativity from the past few years, but some of these takes are....odd.

Now I'll admit its easier to take Kyler in if he was viewed as this can't miss product from the media, there was no Rosen, etc etc.

You'd have been mentally prepped to be all in.

If bad against Cleveland and the Seahawks (seen them twice now) then lets all collectively be concerned. However, if he was playing at that just TWO WEEKS AGO I don't know the outrage.

Truthfully we're some better coaching decisions away from having about 6 wins right now....which aint all that bad considering the talent. I put the Steelers game on Kyler. He cost us that one.

It should also be noted that that none of the guys we drafted after Kyler are featured in the offense. None.

SoonerLou

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
The 2nd year jump argument goes both ways. He is going to get better but other teams are going to get more tape on him as well.

For me, Kyler has showed all of the question marks I had for him pre-draft.

He looks inexperienced.

He looks like he has spotty fundamentals.

He looks unprepared to start games.

He struggles in big moments and in adversity.

He looks like he can't elevate talent around him.

###

These things can all change, but it should be concerning that they are all still present in week 14.

Ok you just admitted you didn't watch OU much at all last year. Probably just the Bama game.

Outside of the last two games he's done a much job at elevating talent then I would have guessed as well.

Kirk missed 3 games, none of our rookie wrs look like a #3 yet, Oline in flux....yet many view Kyler as a top 15 QB right now.

Not like he's got a HC with a wealth of NFL experience to help him nagivate the league.

Even Kliff admits when he's called some crappy games/quarters. I don't see how we can't factor that in his development.

Last edited:

SoonerLou

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
They didn't have any power running game last season before Jackson took over and started running circles around everyone. Lamar opens up the offense to make the inside power game successful, not the other way around.

Man... between this and the idea that Devin Booker will one day be a better offensive player than Kobe Bryant, I can only conclude you watch sports through completely fan colored glasses. I can't imagine anyone thinks Kyler's quicks and acceleration are just as fast if not faster than Jackson. That's a really out there claim.
Lamar ranked 31s tin QBR last year.

The Ravens did become a great running team, but he wasn't playing "well" last year. It was a mix of bad teams (Raiders, Bengals, Falcons, Bucs, Browns)

and catching teams by surprise.

He's proof for improvement as he went from 31 to 1 @Dr. Jones points out.

He got stronger, he got a new OC that had NFL experience using QBs like him and really improved his pocket pressence, accuracy, etc.

I watched the games...he scrambled into a lot of sacks. He physically improved as well.

I'm not saying Kyler will make that jump like Lamar. I'm not saying Kyler is the athlete Lamar is (he's not)

A lot of things fell into place. He's got a great HC that knows how to win and he worked on what he needed to work on.

I think he'll improve quite a bit. Now how Keim handles roster will determine the wins.

Last edited:

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
I get being upset about the losses and poor play. However, based on tape and metrics seems far more good than bad. Being middle of the pack with this roster should bring optimism.

Lamar Jackson was actually worse than Kyler was throwing the ball against this Steelers defense. His defense won the game for him.

I think its a combination of two things. One can maybe fixed the other..probably not.

1. I think part of is the weight gain. He's not as fast or quick as he was in college. Some guys it takes a year or so to gain muscle and still retain that kind of speed. It happened with Lamar. Although he rushed for some yards last year he didn't look as dynamic as he did in college imo. Had a full NFL off season and redefined his body to fit for the NFL. Lets hope the same for Kyler.

2. Well...he's got short legs/strides. Sometimes him taking a sidestep or trying to get around the edge doesn't get a lot of distance. Defenders are able to close the gap on him quickly because he's just as explosive in short distance.

I don't disagree to the assertion that Murray is a more advanced passer than Lamar Jackson. Where I get most frustrated on game day is Kyler's indecision and inability to take a game over like top NFL QBs.

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
Ok you just admitted you didn't watch OU much at all last year. Probably just the Bama game.

Outside of the last two games he's done a much job at elevating talent then I would have guessed as well.

Kirk missed 3 games, none of our rookie wrs look like a #3 yet, Oline in flux....yet many view Kyler as a top 15 QB right now.

Not like he's got a HC with a wealth of NFL experience to help him nagivate the league.

Even Kliff admits when he's called some crappy games/quarters. I don't see how we can't factor that in his development.
I watched several OU games last year, but most of them don't translate to the transition to the NFL game. When you evaluate QBs from the top schools in the country, you immediately have to hem your relevant sample size down to when they play legitimate competition. Those QBs big struggle when they get to the pros is how to make do with less talent because in college they always had such a talent advantage. That is why you see so few successful college QBs from USC, Oregon, Texas, Alabama, Florida, Ohio St, Michigan, LSU, and Oklahoma. Baker, Darnold and Murray on trying to buck this trend, but all of them have struggled to date.

Personally, and this is pure conjecture, I think Kyler Murray struggles at the beginning of games because he is not a big film study guy. He has always been able to show up, work the required number of hours, play his game and figure it out. Now he gets to the NFL, and he doesn't seem to have a plan when teams take away what he wants to do. This then puts the burden on Kingsbury to try and call the perfect plays because Kyler isn't prepared. Again, pure conjecture, but it fits (especially after the Klemko article surfaced pre-draft).

BW52

Registered
Reaction score

He's currently the favorite for MVP.

Should be noted that Allen has a worse QBR than Kyler, runs into sacks just like him and Bills fans are less optimistic about his ability to throw.

Lamar probably had his worse game as a PRO that game.Still he led the Ravens down the field using most of the last 2 minutes for the game tying FG .Then in OT the defense forced fumble and Ravens kicked FG to win.Fact is that Lamar didn`t bellyup in crunch time like Murray did Sunday.I expect Murray will progress but taking a leap like Lamar did …...I have my doubts ..but you never know.Lamar has gotten more QB coaching in a year plus in the NFL than he did all 3 years at Louisville.

SoonerLou

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
I watched several OU games last year, but most of them don't translate to the transition to the NFL game. When you evaluate QBs from the top schools in the country, you immediately have to hem your relevant sample size down to when they play legitimate competition. Those QBs big struggle when they get to the pros is how to make do with less talent because in college they always had such a talent advantage. That is why you see so few successful college QBs from USC, Oregon, Texas, Alabama, Florida, Ohio St, Michigan, LSU, and Oklahoma. Baker, Darnold and Murray on trying to buck this trend, but all of them have struggled to date.

Personally, and this is pure conjecture, I think Kyler Murray struggles at the beginning of games because he is not a big film study guy. He has always been able to show up, work the required number of hours, play his game and figure it out. Now he gets to the NFL, and he doesn't seem to have a plan when teams take away what he wants to do. This then puts the burden on Kingsbury to try and call the perfect plays because Kyler isn't prepared. Again, pure conjecture, but it fits (especially after the Klemko article surfaced pre-draft).
I can't speak to his work habits. I only addressed what was in college.

He didn't start slow. He had the highest QBR in college football history. The Bama game was thrown off because the #1 wr Hollywood Brown was coming off injury and featured in their gameplan. He clearly wasn't right and once removed the offense started rolling.

However, in the NFL...

Games started slowly

Lions
Seahawks
Saints
Bucs
Rams
Steelers

So half the time he starts slow. One of those being a game we didn't run our offense all preseason..

Not bad for a rookie. Especially since two have come recently. To me it seemed like he started games really well early and once they're off the 1st 15 is when the struggles happen. Its just he's bad for the majority of the last two games.

As far as the colleges....LSU/Texas/Florida/Bama haven't had a major NFL QB prospect in a decade..

He is going to have to work harder and be more prepared. What you're describing is basically what happens to most rookie QBs. I'd say the counterpoint would be that at least those guys have people with NFL experience to cope with a rookie's learning curve. Certainly was the case with Andrew Luck having Bruce Arians, RG3 Shanahan, etc etc

Typically the really good rookie QBs outside of Luck....had great running games to make things easier for the QB and coach.

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
I can't speak to his work habits. I only addressed what was in college.

He didn't start slow. He had the highest QBR in college football history. The Bama game was thrown off because the #1 wr Hollywood Brown was coming off injury and featured in their gameplan. He clearly wasn't right and once removed the offense started rolling.

However, in the NFL...

Games started slowly

Lions
Seahawks
Saints
Bucs
Rams
Steelers

So half the time he starts slow. One of those being a game we didn't run our offense all preseason..

Not bad for a rookie. Especially since two have come recently. To me it seemed like he started games really well early and once they're off the 1st 15 is when the struggles happen. Its just he's bad for the majority of the last two games.

As far as the colleges....LSU/Texas/Florida/Bama haven't had a major NFL QB prospect in a decade..

He is going to have to work harder and be more prepared. What you're describing is basically what happens to most rookie QBs. I'd say the counterpoint would be that at least those guys have people with NFL experience to cope with a rookie's learning curve. Certainly was the case with Andrew Luck having Bruce Arians, RG3 Shanahan, etc etc

Typically the really good rookie QBs outside of Luck....had great running games to make things easier for the QB and coach.
I agree that none of my concerns can't be corrected, but that also doesn't mean at week 13, these concerns are still valid. We will see.

SoonerLou

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Lamar probably had his worse game as a PRO that game.Still he led the Ravens down the field using most of the last 2 minutes for the game tying FG .Then in OT the defense forced fumble and Ravens kicked FG to win.Fact is that Lamar didn`t bellyup in crunch time like Murray did Sunday.I expect Murray will progress but taking a leap like Lamar did …...I have my doubts ..but you never know.Lamar has gotten more QB coaching in a year plus in the NFL than he did all 3 years at Louisville.

Earlier this season he had close to 3 mins on the clock with all of his timouts I believe only needing a fg. Two different situations. He had a roughing the passer penalty and were still able to call run plays (again just needing a fg). I think he had just 15 yards passing on that drive.

Two totally different situations when a team is peeling its ears back knowing you need a TD.

It doesn't help that Pugh is getting bulldozed and Kyler trips over the guys foot while trying to step up in the pocket
xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

He's gotta get better in these situations. He's gotta close games. I'm not denying that.

BW52

Registered
Reaction score
Earlier this season he had close to 3 mins on the clock with all of his timouts I believe only needing a fg. Two different situations. He had a roughing the passer penalty and were still able to call run plays (again just needing a fg). I think he had just 15 yards passing on that drive.

Two totally different situations when a team is peeling its ears back knowing you need a TD.

It doesn't help that Pugh is getting bulldozed and Kyler trips over the guys foot while trying to step up in the pocket

He's gotta get better in these situations. He's gotta close games. I'm not denying that.

Fact remains KM was the #1 pick in the entire draft and has he justified that pick? Not in my opinion.That doesn`t mean he won`t eventually prove his status.It is surprising that he has been inconsistent and poor in some situations.Who expected him to be sacked most in the NFL.So far his pocket awareness and escapabiltiy have been less than expected from the hype.For a guy who is supposed to be such a polished accurate passer he has been erratic also.All these things can be fixed hopefully with coaching,hard work and willing attitude to learn from mistakes.His RREDZONE play has been poor but in all fairness we don`t know if its KM play or KK playcalling...I suspect its a bit of both.Not really knocking KM just saying what I see right now.There have been some great throws and plays by KM but there have been too many head-scratching plays also.IMHO the shiny new car had some issues that were glossed over or ignored.Thats not saying things won`t work out fine but some of the hiccups were not expected.

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score

not knowing the play it's a guess but that had to be short drop get the ball out and he didn't. Watch the C he's not blocking anybody he backed up to a spot and stayed there. Kyler actually moved up on the play but the C is in his way and he didn't feel Heyward coming from his left. Looked like Fitz is open short he needed to get it out but held it

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
Fact remains KM was the #1 pick in the entire draft and has he justified that pick? Not in my opinion.That doesn`t mean he won`t eventually prove his status.It is surprising that he has been inconsistent and poor in some situations.Who expected him to be sacked most in the NFL.So far his pocket awareness and escapabiltiy have been less than expected from the hype.For a guy who is supposed to be such a polished accurate passer he has been erratic also.All these things can be fixed hopefully with coaching,hard work and willing attitude to learn from mistakes.His RREDZONE play has been poor but in all fairness we don`t know if its KM play or KK playcalling...I suspect its a bit of both.Not really knocking KM just saying what I see right now.There have been some great throws and plays by KM but there have been too many head-scratching plays also.IMHO the shiny new car had some issues that were glossed over or ignored.Thats not saying things won`t work out fine but some of the hiccups were not expected.

I dunno. I think that, so far, he has justified the pick.

Er... Nick Bosa has 8 sacks in 11 starts... Quinnen Williams is anchoring the 10th best defense by DVOA and the #2 rush defense by DVOA... Ed Oliver has 5 sacks playing for the #6 defense by DVOA and will be in the playoffs... Josh Allen has 9 sacks and 2 forced fumbles...

But still. Murray is FINE.

I do think a lot of people expceted him to be sacked more than most QBs. Start with the fact that mobile QBs tend to be sacked more, and that he was playing behind this offensive line, I don't think that's particularly surprising. Part of the reason he has so many sacks is because he has so many dropbacks. Through last week, we were 27th in Adjusted Sack Rate. He leads QBs in sacks because the five teams below us all rotated through QBs.

Finally, I don't think there have been a lot of head-scratching plays from Murray. Almost all of his decisions are explicable through a combination of bad habits and/or lack of aggressiveness.

BW52

Registered
Reaction score

Er... Nick Bosa has 8 sacks in 11 starts... Quinnen Williams is anchoring the 10th best defense by DVOA and the #2 rush defense by DVOA... Ed Oliver has 5 sacks playing for the #6 defense by DVOA and will be in the playoffs... Josh Allen has 9 sacks and 2 forced fumbles...

I do think a lot of people expceted him to be sacked more than most QBs. Start with the fact that mobile QBs tend to be sacked more, and that he was playing behind this offensive line, I don't think that's particularly surprising. Part of the reason he has so many sacks is because he has so many dropbacks. Through last week, we were 27th in Adjusted Sack Rate. He leads QBs in sacks because the five teams below us all rotated through QBs.

Finally, I don't think there have been a lot of head-scratching plays from Murray. Almost all of his decisions are explicable through a combination of bad habits and/or lack of aggressiveness.

To each his own.Bosa also is #2 in the NFL in TFL (15) Donald leads with 18.Bosa has 17 QB hits (Chandler Jones has 18).Bosa is 2nd in sacks 8.0 to Josh Allen (Jax) 9.0 among rookies.Not bad for 11 starts.
Not dissing Murray just saying IMHO more was expected because of the hype machine (transcendent,game changing yadda yadda).

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
Yeah Manning was killing teams his rookie year too! Both of them!

NOT

It's crazy that you're so thirsty to excuse Murray just two days after a second disastrous outing in a row that you're comparing him to the rookie seasons of two pocket passers — one who's rookie season was over 20 years ago (and he still had a positive DVOA and DYAR) and another who is sub-.500 as a starter for his career. Wild.

SoonerLou

ASFN Addict
Reaction score

2 weeks ago

Kyler was on pace to have the most efficient season a #1 pick has ever had..

If he has a few more stinkers....yea overall the season will be just...fine. However, two horrific weeks aren't going to change that.

Not to mention at that time he had 3 to 4 TDs taken away because of drops (penalty)

I'd say the last two crash and burns has brough him to down solid. If it continues...yea fine is ok. QB spot also holds more value.

BW52

Registered
Reaction score
2 weeks ago

Kyler was on pace to have the most efficient season a #1 pick has ever had..

If he has a few more stinkers....yea overall the season will be just...fine. However, two horrific weeks aren't going to change that.

Not to mention at that time he had 3 to 4 TDs taken away because of drops (penalty)

I'd say the last two crash and burns has brough him to down solid. If it continues...yea fine is ok. QB spot also holds more value.

And he has had how many interception negated by penalty? one pick six i think and one more I think.Overall the season will be fine? 3-9-1 isn`t fine..Style points don`t count for crap.Wins are the bottom line and right now Cards are a half game better than last year.Don`t wins matter or is putting up stats more efficient?

SoonerLou

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
And he has had how many interception negated by penalty? one pick six i think and one more I think.Overall the season will be fine? 3-9-1 isn`t fine..Style points don`t count for crap.Wins are the bottom line and right now Cards are a half game better than last year.Don`t wins matter or is putting up stats more efficient?
Int by penalty happened in the Rams game.
I'm talking about before that happened.

49ers dropped an int.

So 20 tds 6 ints 11 games games would be pretty incredible (possibly wins us the Bucs/49ers games.)

Wins is your fallback thats fine.I'm just adding context. Because if we want to talk wins there were 3 games Kyler gave his team the lead in the 4th and the defense blew it as well (Lions, 49ers, Bucs)

Oh yea our defense is dead last...

Last edited:

SoonerLou

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Kind of goes with what I was saying about Kyler. Now I didn't think he'd be this good from the pocket early and I had NO IDEA he'd be this bad outside the pocket. So I get where fans are disappointed by this. Cause if he was at least just decent outside the pocket we'd have more wins and better production.

However, he's not Wilson or Mahomes in those scramble drills.
@Russ Smith @PACardsFan
It’s been a year-long issue for the Cardinals. Murray is one of the fastest quarterbacks in the NFL, and fellow dual threats like Russell Wilson, Lamar Jackson, Dak Prescott and Patrick Mahomes have all excelled outside the pocket.

However, Murray has a non-opponent-adjusted QBR of only 19.8 outside the pocket this season, which is tied for sixth-worst in the NFL, according to ESPN Stats & Info.

Kliff Kingsbury was asked about the issue on Monday, and the Cardinals coach put much of the onus on the pass-catchers for failing to get open.

“We just all have to get on the same page,” Kingsbury said. “That’s the second phase of football. You see it all around the league more and more with these athletic quarterbacks; it’s not over. That second phase is hard to cover for a defense, and you have to take pride in that part.”

Wide receiver Pharoh Cooper said there are general rules when a pass play goes off script, but that it often comes down to instincts.

“The most important thing about scramble drills is creating a good relationship on the field – coming back to the quarterback, coming back to the ball and spacing out with the other receivers,” Cooper said. “If you’ve got a receiver close, don’t try to get too close to him. Just try to separate the field, and make it an environment where Kyler feels comfortable throwing the ball in an open zone, an open spot.”

Murray is a clear outlier in out-of-pocket QBR efficiency, aligned closer to stationary quarterbacks like Tom Brady, Philip Rivers and Drew Brees than his mobile brethren.

There is reason for optimism: Murray has an in-pocket QBR of 62.4 this season, which is ninth-best in the NFL, and according to Josh Hermsmeyer of FiveThirtyEight.com, numbers inside the pocket are more predictive than those outside the pocket.

If Murray can retain his ability to excel in structure and improve outside it, the Cardinals’ offense could make strides.

“We practice the scramble drill, but we have to make it work during the games,” Kingsbury said. “I don’t think we’ve really mastered that.”

The thing I do fear is with his throwing motion he might not be an elite passer on the run. He's got extremely short arms and seems to generate most of his power when his feet are set. Ball tends to sail when he's on the move. Evidence by him missing Kirk for that scramble throw against the Saints. It's something he's going to really have to work on, but we need the wrs to get better at moving on the run as well.

Last edited: