Quick Early Draft Note

Harry

ASFN Consultant and Senior Writer
Reaction score
In the draft thread where I suggested Lamb, one responder suggested there wouldn't be enough O-linemen to go around. I expect runs on WRs and OL in rounds 1 & 2. I’m thinking perhaps 8 WRs & 6 OL in round 1 alone. It’s true the Cards could get a decent WR prospect even in round 3. They already have several second line prospects. If they’re want a WR they need one who Murray has confidence in using. Time to go all in. History says you can get OL in round 2-3. I know good WRs come late as well. There will definitely be good OL players in round 2. I think they must address the DL in FA even if they only secure a short term solution. Here are OL players who will go in rounds 1 & 2 not in specific order.

Tristan Wirfs, OT, Iowa
Jedrick Wills, OT, Alabama
Austin Jackson, OT, USC
Andrew Thomas, OT, Georgia
Josh Jones, OT, Houston
Mekhi Becton, OT, Louisville
Prince Tega Wanogho, OT, Auburn
Alex Leatherwood, OT, Alabama
Tyler Biadasz, C, Wisconsin
Ben Bredeson, G, Michigan
Creed Humphrey, C, Oklahoma
Alaric Jackson, OT, Iowa
Lucas Niang, OT, TCU

There is no shortage, but, of course, most scouts like the top 5 names on this list. Keep in mind I see this as a 2 year fix. I think the Cards have left little option but to support Murray unless they want to start over again.

don7031

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
The Cardinals are currently sitting 6th in the draft order.

1. Joe Burrow - Cincinnati
2. Chase Young

The Cardinals need help at all three levels on defense.

Auburn Defensive Tackle - Derrick Brown
Ohio St. Cornerback - Jeff Okudah
Oklahoma Linebacker - Kenneth Murray

football karma

Happy in the pretense of knowledge
Reaction score
based on my totally unscientific and amateur perusal of draft sites: It seems like there are tiers to the OTs:

Wirfs and Thomas are regularly shown as top 10 guys --

then a gap, and the two Alabama tackles, Willis and Leatherwood as first round guys

then another gap, and guys like: Josh Jones of Houston, Becton of Louisville, Prince from Auburn, Niang from TCU as 2nd round guys

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
In the draft thread where I suggested Lamb, one responder suggested there wouldn't be enough O-linemen to go around. I expect runs on WRs and OL in rounds 1 & 2. I’m thinking perhaps 8 WRs & 6 OL in round 1 alone. It’s true the Cards could get a decent WR prospect even in round 3. They already have several second line prospects. If they’re want a WR they need one who Murray has confidence in using. Time to go all in. History says you can get OL in round 2-3. I know good WRs come late as well. There will definitely be good OL players in round 2. I think they must address the DL in FA even if they only secure a short term solution. Here are OL players who will go in rounds 1 & 2 not in specific order.

Tristan Wirfs, OT, Iowa
Austin Jackson, OT, USC
Josh Jones, OT, Houston
Alaric Jackson, OT, Iowa
Lucas Niang, OT, TCU

There is no shortage, but, of course, most scouts like the top 5 names on this list. Keep in mind I see this as a 2 year fix. I think the Cards have left little option but to support Murray unless they want to start over again.
Because it is a 2 year fix, I am inclined to start infusing the line with talent sooner rather than later so we are not continuing to scramble for players. I said in another thread, I would love Wirffs or Thomas in round 1. I could could be convinced to trade back and take Wills or Biadasz. I like Humphrey in round 2. I think Alaric Jackson could be a nice pick in round 3 to kick into OG and replace either Sweezy or Pugh when ready.

If you told me we were heading into the season with this group

1-DJ Humphries
2-Justin Pugh
3-AQ Shipley
4-JR Sweezy
5-Wirffs/Thomas/Wills or FA
6-Mason Cole
7-Lamont Gaillard
8-Justin Murray
9-Alaric Jackson

That is a really solid group of players to support Murray..

WildBB

Yogi n da Bear
Reaction score

Tristan Wirfs, OT, Iowa
Austin Jackson, OT, USC
Josh Jones, OT, Houston
Alaric Jackson, OT, Iowa
Lucas Niang, OT, TCU

If they're good with Murray at RT...then I guess anything is possible in Rd. 1. I'd imagine Brown, Kinlaw, Simmons or one of the top CB's would have to be in play there, along with Jeudy and Lamb.

I've seen that Murray has graded out better than Humphries actually has this season. But I've also heard they're trying to extend him. That will be telling in itself going forward.

Finito

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

Tristan Wirfs, OT, Iowa
Austin Jackson, OT, USC
Josh Jones, OT, Houston
Alaric Jackson, OT, Iowa
Lucas Niang, OT, TCU

I buy/trade for my offensive line. I don’t see anyone special in this draft. You can ask 10 people and 5 will say Thomas is the best and 5 will say Wirfs is the best. To me neither really stands out and I’ve seen flat out dominate tackles in college Ogden, Pace, Mckinney, Thomas, Boselli when you watched those guy play you were just like wow they looked men amongst boys. Nobody in this class is like that.

don’t draft Levi Brown and leave AP on the board again.

offensive lineman also take 2-3 years to adjust in today’s game they really don’t come out and dominate like they used to. We our QB on a rookie contract we don’t got time to waste.

juza76

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I buy/trade for my offensive line. I don’t see anyone special in this draft. You can ask 10 people and 5 will say Thomas is the best and 5 will say Wirfs is the best. To me neither really stands out and I’ve seen flat out dominate tackles in college Ogden, Pace, Mckinney, Thomas, Boselli when you watched those guy play you were just like wow they looked men amongst boys. Nobody in this class is like that.

offensive lineman also take 2-3 years to adjust in today’s game they really don’t come out and dominate like they used to. We our QB on a rookie contract we don’t got time to waste

This!!
Wise words
Its a position where nothing is guaranteed
Takes a big leap to adjust to the Nfl, and recently many of them picked early didn't match expectations
Better investing money on free agency to get a top free agent linemen (Sherrif) and adding a couple of one in round 3 and 4

Cardsfaninlouky

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Because it is a 2 year fix, I am inclined to start infusing the line with talent sooner rather than later so we are not continuing to scramble for players. I said in another thread, I would love Wirffs or Thomas in round 1. I could could be convinced to trade back and take Wills or Biadasz. I like Humphrey in round 2. I think Alaric Jackson could be a nice pick in round 3 to kick into OG and replace either Sweezy or Pugh when ready.

1-DJ Humphries
2-Justin Pugh
3-AQ Shipley
4-JR Sweezy
6-Mason Cole
7-Lamont Gaillard
8-Justin Murray
9-Alaric Jackson

I really like Wills from Alabama. He's a Kentucky kid. Was leaning towards going to Kentucky, then Alabama offered. No decision needed there, you take Alabama's offer & roll with it. Hated it for me being a Kentucky season ticket holder but I can't blame him. He made the right decision.

Cardsfaninlouky

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
If they're good with Murray at RT...then I guess anything is possible in Rd. 1. I'd imagine Brown, Kinlaw, Simmons or one of the top CB's would have to be in play there, along with Jeudy and Lamb.

I've seen that Murray has graded out better than Humphries actually has this season. But I've also heard they're trying to extend him. That will be telling in itself going forward.
Murray played badly Sunday. He couldn't handle Watt or Dupree. Maybe RT could be by committee next season? Resign Gilbert to a prove it deal, plus keep Murray & have him work on his foot speed. If we draft an OT first, will Humphries be willing to switch to RT? Will we even resign Humphries? Lots of questions to figure out in the offseason.

Solar7

Go Suns
Reaction score

offensive lineman also take 2-3 years to adjust in today’s game they really don’t come out and dominate like they used to. We our QB on a rookie contract we don’t got time to waste.
This!!
Wise words
Its a position where nothing is guaranteed
Takes a big leap to adjust to the Nfl, and recently many of them picked early didn't match expectations
Better investing money on free agency to get a top free agent linemen (Sherrif) and adding a couple of one in round 3 and 4
Yeah guys, just keep slanging it in desperation while our young QB gets killed back there.

I want BPA, of course, but there's not going to be a single year where anyone is excited about an offensive or defensive lineman. This is a very strong time to pick a guy, especially at OL, given that we need to fill TWO tackle spots. Remember, it's not just RT we're replacing. There's two strongly graded tackles that should be staring us in the eyes. Get the kid someone to keep him from running for his life, so he can throw it to some of the four picks we made at WR in the past two years.

Finito

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Yeah guys, just keep slanging it in desperation while our young QB gets killed back there.

I want BPA, of course, but there's not going to be a single year where anyone is excited about an offensive or defensive lineman. This is a very strong time to pick a guy, especially at OL, given that we need to fill TWO tackle spots. Remember, it's not just RT we're replacing. There's two strongly graded tackles that should be staring us in the eyes. Get the kid someone to keep him from running for his life, so he can throw it to some of the four picks we made at WR in the past two years.

my point it neither of those Tackles Thomas or Wirfs grade out at elite. Don’t pass elite(Adrian Peterson) for good( Levi Brown) because you have a need.

If I’m picking top 7 or top 5 I want Elite not good. It’s can’t be ignored lineman take 2-3 years to develop in today’s NFL that’s why I’m saying buy the line we’re going to have the money.

I disagree people will be very excited if we drafted Chase Young or Derrick Brown for the Line/olb because they are considered elite

Solar7

Go Suns
Reaction score
my point it neither of those Tackles Thomas or Wirfs grade out at elite. Don’t pass elite(Adrian Peterson) for good( Levi Brown) because you have a need.

If I’m picking top 7 or top 5 I want Elite not good. It’s can’t be ignored lineman take 2-3 years to develop in today’s NFL that’s why I’m saying buy the line we’re going to have the money.

I disagree people will be very excited if we drafted Chase Young or Derrick Brown for the Line/olb because they are considered elite
I'm totally with you on the train that taking Levi Brown over Adrian Peterson was a bad move, but that only happened because we literally had no one who could start at left tackle. AP was a pretty surefire talent from top to bottom, but many players drafted that high aren't.

I'm all for Chase Young, maybe Derrick Brown, but I want to stop ignoring our offensive line for flashier players, especially when we have three major openings. I would hate to sign the JR Sweezy of right tackles, or Trent Williams, so we have to ignore drafting a tackle because of the financial investment. I want a young fixture on the line for once. When have we ever had that as Arizona Cardinals fans?

Praxis

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
How about Austin Jackson, USC? He's a local kid and looks like he could translate at LT (big & mobile).

AZCrazy

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
We're re-signing Humphries. We have to. It's hard enough to find one starting caliber OT in a single offseason.

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
How about Austin Jackson, USC? He's a local kid and looks like he could translate at LT (big & mobile).

He is intriguing but gotta do your homework. Went from 265 in HS to 295 in college in a matter of months, he's 310 now. I know that's not uncommon with OL's they get bigger and stronger in college with weight programs and better eating habits but Jackson is kind of unique he's REALLY athletic. He actually ran sprints in HS, was a shot put/discus guy etc very good natural athlete. So the hope would be he's jsut a guy who'd never really focused on football and got big and strong quickly when he did and not a guy who did something else to get there.

Definitely intriguing though he's still ultra athletic.

And he's a great story off the field he donated bone marrow to help save his sisters life.

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score

How about you use an OT from this decade to base your argument upon. Wirffs and Thomas are every bit as good of prospects as any OT drafted outside of maybe Tyron Smith and Trent Williams. And those two had their question marks as well.

Oh, and tell me how good the Raiders, Giants, Bengals, Jaguars, Cardinals, and Jets have been at "buying" their offensive linemen.

BW52

Registered
Reaction score
Well it would be pretty dumb to not draft a top talent Defensive player if the chance is there (Chase Young,Derrick Brown,Javon Kinlaw etc;) after all the bitching about how the defense let KM /KK/VJ down this year.Cards have to be able to put pressure on the QB (besides Chandler Jones) and stop the run.Better pressure on the QB helps the rest of the defense.There are several good OLINE guys available who can be groomed to start that can be drafted in RDS 2-4.Plenty of good solid guys...Are an y of the OLINE head and shoulders above the rest and could be day starters? I have not read or seen anything that suggest any OLINE guys is that much better than the rest of the top 10-15 OLINE guys.

cardsfanmd

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

1-DJ Humphries
2-Justin Pugh
3-AQ Shipley
4-JR Sweezy
6-Mason Cole
7-Lamont Gaillard
8-Justin Murray
9-Alaric Jackson

I agree with the exception of Shipley. I love the guy but we need someone with some ass in their pants. Center needs to be upgraded. When you have a supremely mobile QB, you have no excuse to not dominate in the run game (see the Falcons with Vick, Eagles with Mcnabb, 49’ers with Young, Panthers with Newton, Ravens with Jackson, etc.) and it starts with the interior.

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
Well it would be pretty dumb to not draft a top talent Defensive player if the chance is there (Chase Young,Derrick Brown,Javon Kinlaw etc;) after all the bitching about how the defense let KM /KK/VJ down this year.Cards have to be able to put pressure on the QB (besides Chandler Jones) and stop the run.Better pressure on the QB helps the rest of the defense.There are several good OLINE guys available who can be groomed to start that can be drafted in RDS 2-4.Plenty of good solid guys...Are an y of the OLINE head and shoulders above the rest and could be day starters? I have not read or seen anything that suggest any OLINE guys is that much better than the rest of the top 10-15 OLINE guys.
What 2nd - 4th round OL do you see in the NFL getting developed?

Of the top 30 highest paid OTs in the NFL, only 10 of them were drafted outside of the 1st round. That list does not include Ronnie Stanley, Mike McGlinchey, Jonah Williams, Jack Conklin, Kolton Miller, Laremy Tunsil, Andre Dillard, Isaiah Wynn, Garrett Bolles, Taylor Decker, DJ Humphries, and Ryan Ramczyk.

BW52

Registered
Reaction score
What 2nd - 4th round OL do you see in the NFL getting developed?

Of the top 30 highest paid OTs in the NFL, only 10 of them were drafted outside of the 1st round. That list does not include Ronnie Stanley, Mike McGlinchey, Jonah Williams, Jack Conklin, Kolton Miller, Laremy Tunsil, Andre Dillard, Isaiah Wynn, Garrett Bolles, Taylor Decker, DJ Humphries, and Ryan Ramczyk.[/QUOTE

,Dion Dawkins,Cody FordOrlando Brown,Justin Skule some rookie drafted other rounds starting at OT for their teams.Around the NFl other starting OT drafted other than 1st round-Marshall Newhouse,Brandon Shell,Billy Turner,David Bakthiari,Terron Armstead,Brian O`Neill,Daryl Williams,Chris Hubbard,Booby Massie,Taylor Moton,David Edwards,Matt Feiller,Alexandro Villanueva,Kelvin Beachum,Rob Haverstein.Thats just a partial list.
It does happen.Big dollars doesn`t always mean big play..look at PP or David Johnson.

Finito

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
How about you use an OT from this decade to base your argument upon. Wirffs and Thomas are every bit as good of prospects as any OT drafted outside of maybe Tyron Smith and Trent Williams. And those two had their question marks as well.

Oh, and tell me how good the Raiders, Giants, Bengals, Jaguars, Cardinals, and Jets have been at "buying" their offensive linemen.

how bout I use the guys I used as perfect examples of what a DOMINATE LT in college looks like.

Like I said ask 10 guys and 5 will say Thomas and 5 will say Wirfs to me that’s not good.

Giants got 2 rings and both the Cardinals and Jags were in the division championship within the last 4 years right? I’d say it’s worked out good. That trade for Veldaheer was great for us

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
PicksFromDave