Timberwolves @ Suns Monday game thread 12-9-19

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Kings beat the Rockets tonight in Houston without Bagley and Fox.

It's early but the Suns may be battling the Jazz, Thunder, Kings and Wolves for a playoff spot.

Proximo

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

It's early but the Suns may be battling the Jazz, Thunder, Kings and Wolves for a playoff spot.

Maybe I’m too much of a homer but I feel like the suns with ayton and Baynes are easily the best team of that bunch.

1Sun

ASFN Addict
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
I think we could get love for that, but I am not sold.

Dario is a lot younger, a lot cheaper and is playing 75 percent as well.

I think ayton will make the need to improve there much less important as I think he and Baynes will take some of the 4 minutes.

I don't consider Love an upgrade (or at least not the type of upgrade we need) at this point. He has the same deficiencies in defense and athleticism that Saric does. Ayton can't do it inside by himself. He needs help, as we saw last year. And we need Baynes to spend most of his minutes backing up Ayton. We absolutely need better than Saric (and better than Love, in terms of defense and athleticism) starting at the 4.

BC867

Long time Phoenician!
Reaction score

In the words of Revolutionary War Rear Admiral John Paul Jones, we have not yet begun to fight. :)

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Maybe I’m too much of a homer but I feel like the suns with ayton and Baynes are easily the best team of that bunch.

The Suns have the potential but they need to tighten their defense. They need to build on it going forward.

Proximo

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I don't consider Love an upgrade (or at least not the type of upgrade we need) at this point. He has the same deficiencies in defense and athleticism that Saric does. Ayton can't do it inside by himself. He needs help, as we saw last year. And we need Baynes to spend most of his minutes backing up Ayton. We absolutely need better than Saric (and better than Love, in terms of defense and athleticism) starting at the 4.

Than who do you think you are going get for that poo poo plater? The only reason love would be available for that little is his age and huge contract.

only other guy that might be possible is galinarri. But I am not sure he would be worth the draft compensation.

TJ

Frank Kaminsky is my Hero.
Reaction score

Maybe not “easily,” but I’d take us over any of those teams at full strength.

1Sun

ASFN Addict
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
To me, Baynes more than evens out the Warren trade. Give me Baynes for Warren and I say "Pleasure doing business with you".

Except Baynes is likely gone at the end of the year, and Warren is now playing at an All Star level in Indy.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
Nice to see the suns run away with it at the end instead of letting them pound us inside to make it a nervous ending. Good win! Man does baynes make a difference.

BC867

Long time Phoenician!
Reaction score
Here's how Monty did it. Eight players logging 14 minutes or more, with five over 30 and one more over 25.
Three scoring 20 or more and three more in the teens. Three players with 4 fouls, but no one with more.
Saric, playing PF and C, with 9 boards and Bridges off the bench with 8. Bridges leading the way with 3 steals
and 2 blocks. Rubio with 14 assists and Booker with 7. Everyone of the first 9 in the rotation with a '+'. All of
which will get even better when the MP (missing piece) Ayton returns.

You must be registered for see images attach

BC867

Long time Phoenician!
Reaction score
Except Baynes is likely gone at the end of the year, and Warren is now playing at an All Star level in Indy.
What we do this season will play a large role in attracting proven good players in the future.

A luxury we haven't had in a long, long time.

And Warren is still one-dimensional.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score

I haven't watched them play at all this season but looking just at his individual stats I'd say the biggest difference between TJ this season and TJ of the past two years is he hasn't gone down with a mysterious injury yet. On paper he doesn't appear to be playing any better than he did last year.

Finito

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

lmao his numbers are flat out identical to last year. All star level my ass.

TJ is TJ he’s the ultimate empty stats guy. I’ll wait while you give me his defining moment in all his years with the suns. Buzzer beaters? Taking over games late? I’ll wait.

82CardsGrad

7 x 70
Reaction score

That is literally the first post you have ever made that I totally agree with... [emoji15]

Superbone

Phoenix native; Lifelong Suns Fan
Reaction score
Although he was in the Eddie Johnson role rather than play by play, George Raveling was far worse doing Pac 10 games than Steve Albert on his worst day while battling the flu, wearing a blindfold just hours after having all his teeth removed without anesthetic. But Albert was indeed awful.
“Now they’re saying it’s a foul.” No, they called it a foul the first time but you just didn’t see it. Albert used to drive me crazy by doing that kind of constantly.

TJ

Frank Kaminsky is my Hero.
Reaction score
To me, Baynes more than evens out the Warren trade. Give me Baynes for Warren and I say "Pleasure doing business with you".

Still feel like we could’ve done better in the Warren deal, but like Jackson, Warren had to go.

But, yes, Baynes is far superior to Warren.

Phrazbit

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

As well as Baynes has played, no one is going to shell out big bucks on him. At best, I could see someone signing him the the MLE for like... 2 years.

And Warren is not even remotely sniffing the jock of all-star level play. Gimme a break. Other than being slightly less efficient than he was here in recent years he hasn't changed at all. He is staggeringly bad on the glass and still seems unaware that passing the ball is a legal move.

Should we have done better in that trade? Yes. But it doesn't magically transform Warren into anything more than what we already knew he was.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
“Now they’re saying it’s a foul.” No, they called it a foul the first time but you just didn’t see it. Albert used to drive me crazy by doing that kind of constantly.

Yeah he used to make stuff up all the time which is why I've always thought perhaps his vision was failing.

Phrazbit

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Love hasn't been healthy in 4 years, his defending has gone from bad to awful over the last 5 seasons. He hasn't been the kind of scorer who can take over a game in... ages.

His rebounding is nice, he is a good spacer on offense, but between his bad D and his health... he could be making HALF of what he is and I don't think he'd represent a big enough of an upgrade to consider.

I honestly don't think, even as is, he would be represent much more than a moderate upgrade over Saric, who has played surprisingly well when not paired with Kaminsky. And I am not trying to hype up Saric, he is somewhere between a low end starter and high quality reserve.

Kaminsky, outside of a couple games, has been a disaster. Hopefully Ayton's return puts Frank into the fringes of the rotation.

Phrazbit

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
If I’m trying to upgrade the 4, I’m seeing what it’d take to get Aaron Gordon away from Orlando.

They seem obsessed with long armed, high defensive potential, limited offensive potential players, so I'm sure they'd want Bridges.

Something like Tyler Johnson, Bridges and a 1st... that is probably in the ball park of what they'd want.

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
As well as Baynes has played, no one is going to shell out big bucks on him. At best, I could see someone signing him the the MLE for like... 2 years.

This upcoming free agent class is really bad, I could see Baynes getting an Ariza type of contract from someone. Either one year for $10-12 million or 2 years at $20.

Take a look at some of the lists of top free agents. Other than Anthony Davis they're all guys who shouldn't get more than the mid-level exception like Baynes. Here's one article about the FA class from CBS Sports. They have Ingram, DeRozen, Otto Porter, and Danillo Gallinari round out the top 5.

Bleacher Report has Dragic, DeRozen, Marc Gasol, and Eric Gordon. Lowry and Draymond are listed but they inked extensions already.

This years cast of players are either too old, like Gasol, Millsap and Ibaka, injury prone like Hayward or Cousins, or really young and unproven players like Caris LaVert or Ingram. It's not a good class.

Baynes will likely be overpaid just based on who is out there and how he compares to them. However if he keeps missing games like he has so far, that might lessen his value. No one wants to pay for a guy to be on the bench in street clothes.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
PicksFromDave