Is Kingsbury a good coach for Murray?

Praxis

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Playcalling hasn't improved. We're 3-9-1. The question has to be asked.

GatorAZ

feed hopkins
Reaction score
I’ve been tough on him and thought he was a joke hire (as a HC) but he’s put KM in position to make plays and his QB didn’t come thru. He also knows Murray’s shortcomings and keeps a pretty safe game plan. If it wasn’t for the Kugler addition this would be a complete debacle most likely.

To answer your question, strictly regarding Murray, I’d lean towards yes. Next week might be a must win game in terms of perception.

slanidrac16

ASFN Icon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
He’s going to have to adjust to more traditional formations and play calling. I still think when you have a suspect o-line you need to adjust to help them out.

whether it’s two te sets( which seemed to work) or more two back sets something that gives Murray time to utilize his arm strength and accuracy.

Too many times Murray is feeling pressure within two seconds. It doesn’t give him any time to locate second or third receivers.

AZCats

Veteran
Reaction score
He isn't a good coach at all. So asking if he is a good coach for Murray the answer is no. He isn't a good coach for anyone.

Just set aside his coaching of talent for a second. I am more concerned about his coaching and managing of games. The Cards have lost 3 games strictly on his poor decision making. You can also count today, so that would make it 4. But I think today the blame is split 50/50 with him and Murray. The other 3 were pretty much 100% on him. He is horrible. The worst part is he will be back next year because the idiots in the front office won't fire a first year coach two years in a row. Only because they would hate how that looks. They will not keep him because they think he is capable, they will keep him for their own egos. They don't want to look like they made a coaching mistake in back to back years.

Camshaft

Registered
Reaction score
If we can get the OC at Baltimore as head coach then show Kingsbury the door. Or promote him to GM, can't be any worse.

Veer

All Star
Reaction score
There is no way around KK getting another season. This isn't Wilks all over again. We were in all games until the very end outside of 2 games where we got whacked. Considering it's the first season with this offense and our defense being a total train wreck, it's not very surprising.

Decision-making by KK was bad in some close games. Yesterday it was more on KM than on KK. We held held the Steelers in check just enough to pull off a win, yet KM whiffed on a couple TD opportunities.

What I like from KK is his ability to adapt. We came out with the I Formation yesterday. He started to use TE-heavy sets when we struggled early on. We just don't have any game gamebreaking playmakers on offense. Larry is a complementary WR at this stage, Kirk will never be a true #1, DJ fell off a cliff, our TEs are a joke and don't scare anybody.

The defense is a whole different story. Need all help we can get in the offseason. If Chandler Jones or Hicks went down, we could hardly compete with a strong CFB programme. Lack of defense is mostly on Keim though, nothing KK can do about this. Hence while I don't like him, VJ hasn't been dealt fair cards.

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
I’m still #stiff4kliff, but taking a timeout to start the 4th quarter(?) was pretty embarrassing.

cardpa

Have a Nice Day!
Reaction score
I think we saw Klingsbury's ceiling in college, just enough mistakes and questionable decisions that his teams never quite get to the top. There are times when he just can't get out of his own way. Now that he's in the NFL where the defenses are a more complex and the abilities of the players are better from top to bottom, I just don't see him being any more successful at this level. Additionally he has married himself to Murray for better or worse.

BigRedRage

Reckless
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I’ve been tough on him and thought he was a joke hire (as a HC) but he’s put KM in position to make plays and his QB didn’t come thru. He also knows Murray’s shortcomings and keeps a pretty safe game plan. If it wasn’t for the Kugler addition this would be a complete debacle most likely.

To answer your question, strictly regarding Murray, I’d lean towards yes. Next week might be a must win game in terms of perception.

the line sucks. It looksed good against garbage teams for that 3 game streak but the chatter about the oline playing well has to die at this point.

HGC

All Star
Reaction score
Kliff won 4 games with a QB who shattered records and won the MVP 2 years later as a starter in the NFL.

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
I will go on record as well stating that Kingsbury has been good enough. He has maximized the weapons we have. He has mitigated an average-at-best offensive line. He has consistently put our rookie QB in spots to win games. He has areas to work on, definitely, but better and more consistent QB play will also help him out.

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
the line sucks. It looksed good against garbage teams for that 3 game streak but the chatter about the oline playing well has to die at this point.
The offensive line has played well, but that doesn't change the ceiling on their overall talent level. We need more talent on our offensive line, but they have been good enough this year. I would say that our offensive line has exceeded my expectations while Murray has been more of a let down. I get that he is a rookie, but that doesn't mean he also hasn't been the issue (at times).

BigRedRage

Reckless
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The offensive line has played well, but that doesn't change the ceiling on their overall talent level. We need more talent on our offensive line, but they have been good enough this year. I would say that our offensive line has exceeded my expectations while Murray has been more of a let down. I get that he is a rookie, but that doesn't mean he also hasn't been the issue (at times).
the oline is terrible man. Murray has crap for deep throws because he is always under duress. I do not get why people keep saying the line is playing well. There was a few game streak of good play on the oline, since then it has been mediocre at best.

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
the oline is terrible man. Murray has crap for deep throws because he is always under duress. I do not get why people keep saying the line is playing well. There was a few game streak of good play on the oline, since then it has been mediocre at best.
We can disagree. I saw multiple plays on Sunday that, in my mind, gave Kyler plenty of time and a good pocket to make plays from. I have seen that in most games this year. Few offensive lines in this league are going to keep the QB clean all game. Pittsburgh has a good offensive line and Duck got hit. Kyler just sucks right now at dealing with the adversity.

RON_IN_OC

https://www.ronevansrealty.com
Reaction score
Kliff would do well to hire RT to teach tackling.

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

BigRedRage

Reckless
Supporting Member
Reaction score
We can disagree. I saw multiple plays on Sunday that, in my mind, gave Kyler plenty of time and a good pocket to make plays from. I have seen that in most games this year. Few offensive lines in this league are going to keep the QB clean all game. Pittsburgh has a good offensive line and Duck got hit. Kyler just sucks right now at dealing with the adversity.
Multiple was probably 4.

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score

Kyler needs to understand that pockets are tighter in the NFL than they were in college, where he was playing with 4 (probably 5) future NFL blockers. He's always looking to escape out the back or side if his first read isn't open. It looks like he's under thread because he's bailing on the pocket, but it's there.

Opponents are setting OL Murray up to fail by just rushing straight back on him, knowing that Murray is going to come right to them if the first read isn't open.

SoCal Cardfan

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
KK is helping KM, about as much as Helen Keller would have helped Shaq with free throws.

At least so far IMO.

phillycard

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Him being a good head coach for KM is not my concern. Him being a coach for the Arizona Cardinals is the question. We all know he was bought in for his "rapport" with our franchise qb. If it really means that much to then brain trust that there be a perfect marriage, then we should have hired his azz as OC at the most. I want a head coach that is in tune to what the defense and special teams is doing at all times, not just trying to be the smartest guy in the room on offense. As much as BA was an offense first guy, I never got the impression that he was limited on what happens in other facets of the game. KK, just strikes me as completely overwhelmed, and frankly quite inept at managing a game. I'm waiting for the day when I will actually like this man as my head coach because I still don't.

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
Him being a good head coach for KM is not my concern. Him being a coach for the Arizona Cardinals is the question. We all know he was bought in for his "rapport" with our franchise qb. If it really means that much to then brain trust that there be a perfect marriage, then we should have hired his azz as OC at the most. I want a head coach that is in tune to what the defense and special teams is doing at all times, not just trying to be the smartest guy in the room on offense. As much as BA was an offense first guy, I never got the impression that he was limited on what happens in other facets of the game. KK, just strikes me as completely overwhelmed, and frankly quite inept at managing a game. I'm waiting for the day when I will actually like this man as my head coach because I still don't.

I think that KK has this offensive line playing absolutely out of its head, and did more with a garbage WR unit than maybe any coach in the NFL could have.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
PicksFromDave