Can’t blame the defense

WindCardinal

All Star
Reaction score
I feel like this is the first game where the defense really wasn’t at fault. Murray had bad throws, ran backwards constantly(pretty sick of that). The defense wasn’t good by any means... very bad play from Hicks, Murphy, Suggs, and Peterson.

CardsSunsDbacks

Not So Skeptical
Reaction score
I feel like this is the first game where the defense really wasn’t at fault. Murray had bad throws, ran backwards constantly(pretty sick of that). The defense wasn’t good by any means... very bad play from Hicks, Murphy, Suggs, and Peterson.
This was certainly on Murray, coaching and a ST TD.

FB94

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
It’s 50/50 for me. Yes Kyler played a bad game, but with all that, the defense cannot allow scores every time we score, going the length of the field for points with a minute left in the half, or allow 8 minute drives in the fourth quarter. Today was a total team screw up. Players and coaches

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
I am beginning to believe that this is who Murray is. Alex Smith. Dak Prescott. A game manager who needs a ton around him to be competitive vs good teams.

FB94

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
I am beginning to believe that this is who Murray is. Alex Smith. Dak Prescott. A game manager who needs a ton around him to be competitive vs good teams.
Not there yet. Get more around him and I think it will be a different story.

Finito

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Special teams?

yeah offense wasn’t great but neither was the defense or special teams.

slanidrac16

ASFN Icon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Total team loss. Red zone, punt return, ability of the defense to get a stop, and coaching( I would have kicked the fg).

I hope KK does some deep self evaluation and realize there is no need to get cute sometimes and if you don’t force teams to respect a deep throw you will not be successful with 3 yard passes praying for yac.

I know it’s easy to say we need to take some deep shots when the line can’t hold anybody for 2 seconds. Solve they by taking a shot on 1st down.

p.s. where did our two te sets go? Seemed we were most efficient doing that.

dscher

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
BS the defense falls apart every game after we score, it’s funny as it’s the only constant on this team is the D can’t hold anyone from scoring especially when it matters!
This is most definitely a constant and deflating theme to this defense among not being very good at all.. and to be fair..it's mostly in our crap secondary.

Reactions: PJ1

Card'em

All Star
Reaction score
Lots of missed tackles. I counted 4 on the second to last drive with 2 by Marsh, 1 by Walker and that horrendous non-tackle by Peterson where the ballcarrier reversed field for a big gain. Our linebackers are pathetic other than Hicks and Chandler. Suggs, Walker, and Marsh should not be playing. I thought Vallejo(sp) was the better than the other 3 bums. He should get more playing time.

Reactions: PJ1

slanidrac16

ASFN Icon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
BS the defense falls apart every game after we score, it’s funny as it’s the only constant on this team is the D can’t hold anyone from scoring especially when it matters!
I so agree. When the Steelers got the ball with 6:30 left I told my son they would drive down, kick a fg and we’d get the ball back with about 40 seconds left. The inexplicable pass by the Steelers saved us about a minute. So in essence my assessment was absolutely correct.

Proximo

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
The steeler offense is bad.

I do not consider holding them to 23 to be success. I mean it's all relative - but I still feel our defense never made a 3rd down stop when it needed to.

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
Not there yet. Get more around him and I think it will be a different story.
That is the entire nature of my statement. Until we surround him with a top 5 NFL roster, close losses vs good teams will be the best we can expect.

BW52

Registered
Reaction score
This is most definitely a constant and deflating theme to this defense among not being very good at all.. and to be fair..it's mostly in our crap secondary.

Still holding the other team to 16 points allowed by the defense should not too step a hill to come back on.

football karma

Happy in the pretense of knowledge
Reaction score
two thoughts:

1. AFter all that happened, the offense makes it a FG game with 6 mins to play. KO pins them at the 15. The D cannot let them go 70 yards using nearly all the clock and make a 6 point game

2. Good grief why does the 2 minute offense look like a garbage fire?

PJ1

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
D still bad but they kept the points allowed down today and had a fumble recovered setting up a score. Suggs should not be playing. Marsh and Walker are scrubs.

dscher

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
That is the entire nature of my statement. Until we surround him with a top 5 NFL roster, close losses vs good teams will be the best we can expect.
Can this not be said about just every qb out there? You give any QB a top 5 roster and he won't have to do much year in and out.. jmo. Aaron Rodgers is prime example...he didn't have much the past few years and didn't get anywhere. Mediocre roster equals mediocre team imo.

CardsSunsDbacks

Not So Skeptical
Reaction score
Can this not be said about just every qb out there? You give any QB a top 5 roster and he won't have to do much year in and out.. jmo. Aaron Rodgers is prime example...he didn't have much the past few years and didn't get anywhere. Mediocre roster equals mediocre team imo.
Virtually every winning QB has both a good roster (some offensive weapons and a quality defense) and good coaching. It's very difficult for pretty much anyone to win a lot in this league without quality talent.

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
Rodgers has had a winning record in 10 our of 12 seasons. Your comment is flat wrong.

Andrew Luck overcame a lack of talent.

Tom Brady has made the most of weak offensive talent.

Same with Drew Brees.

Russell Wilson.

Lamar Jackson this year.

I guess my point it that I didn't think we were drafting Kirk Cousins at #1 in the draft.

dscher

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Rodgers has had a winning record in 10 our of 12 seasons. Your comment is flat wrong.

Same with Drew Brees.

Russell Wilson.

Lamar Jackson this year.

I guess my point it that I didn't think we were drafting Kirk Cousins at #1 in the draft.
Ok man. You have an obvious bias. I have mine. We'll just leave it at that. My point was any top 5 roster wouldn't need much from the qb to be successful and was a largely hypothetical statement anyhow.

DVontel

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

Same with Drew Brees.

Russell Wilson.

Lamar Jackson this year.

The only comparison you’re remotely close on is Andrew Luck. I’ll give you Russ-post 2016.

Lamar, Brees, Brady, & Rodgers, I just know you’re not being serious.

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
The only comparison you’re remotely close on is Andrew Luck. I’ll give you Russ-post 2016.

Lamar, Brees, Brady, & Rodgers, I just know you’re not being serious.
Meh...the Ravens lost their two best edge rushers in FA and replaced Weddle with Thomas. No stars on their defensive line. What WRs do they have? What RBs...old Mark Ingram? Lamar makes that roster competitive, not the other way around.

Rodgers? Aaron Jones, Davante Adams and what?

Brady...they traded for Sanu because they lacked talent so bad.

Brees? Michael Thomas, Alvin Kamara, and Ted Ginn?

Now, if you want to make the argument that these guys all have top 10 offensive lines...I will listen to that argument. But these guys all cover warts on their rosters.

OP
OP
W

WindCardinal

All Star
Reaction score
I’m not saying the defense isn’t bad... because it is. I think we have a very promising future though if Murray will stop the boneheaded mistakes like running 10+ yards backwards and getting sacked and not running out of bounds behind the line of scrimmage.

DVontel

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Meh...the Ravens lost their two best edge rushers in FA and replaced Weddle with Thomas. No stars on their defensive line. What WRs do they have? What RBs...old Mark Ingram? Lamar makes that roster competitive, not the other way around.

Rodgers? Aaron Jones, Davante Adams and what?

Brady...they traded for Sanu because they lacked talent so bad.

Brees? Michael Thomas, Alvin Kamara, and Ted Ginn?

Now, if you want to make the argument that these guys all have top 10 offensive lines...I will listen to that argument. But these guys all cover warts on their rosters.
Ravens - stud secondary, maybe even the best in the NFL. Marlon Humphrey is a top 3 CB, ET3 is a lot better than Weddle, & Peters has been awesome since he arrived there. What about their TEs? Mark Andrew is good & Boyle/Hurst are super reliable. Old Mark Ingram? Who the hell he cares how old he is? He’s still pretty damn good. Clearly a top OL. Clearly.

Packers - Really good group of pass rushers & solid secondary. Also, another good OL.

Patriots - Great defense from DL to LBs to secondary who has carried Brady big time this season. Also the benefit of playing a very weak schedule the first half of the season.

Saints - The same team that went 5-0 with Bridgewater earlier this year? With 2 of those wins being in Seattle & Chicago? That Saints team? Also, another top OL group.

C’mon dude, just because they’re not littered with Pro-Bowlers everywhere doesn’t mean they lack talent.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
PicksFromDave