The Suns next big move

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I wouldn't get too attached to anyone coming into the league next year. I'd be willing to bet the Suns won't have their own pick for the draft next year. I think it will be dealt at the deadline this year, if not sooner. They don't have much in terms of tradable assets right now and if they look to add someone for a playoff push then our own 1st will probably be attached to someone to make it work.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score

overseascardfan

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
There aren’t a lot of PF options that are going to be available at deadline. Gordon will but he has regressed this year after getting his money (he did look good against us the other day).

SirStefan32

Krycek, Alex Krycek
Reaction score
if they do this, they are morons. adding ANOTHER unathletic big, who's on the downside of his career that will choke our cap for three years would be head-smackingly stupid. I don't believe this FO is that dumb anymore.

I agree. Trading for Love would be incredibly stupid. If his contract was expiring, or if there was maybe one year left, then fine- trade for him, you'll get into playoffs and you might win a game or two. Don't cripple yourself financially for three more years to get someopne marginally better than Saric. There is no need to panic. Ayton and Baynes will be back, Cam and Mikal are getting better, Okobo is looking like an actual NBA player, and Saric and Kaminsky are going to look better in smaller roles when Ayton and Baynes get back. There is no reason to panic trade for Kevin Freakin' Love.

SirStefan32

Krycek, Alex Krycek
Reaction score
There aren’t a lot of PF options that are going to be available at deadline. Gordon will but he has regressed this year after getting his money (he did look good against us the other day).

Good thing is that the Suns don't need to trade for a power forward. Dario and Frank (and Diallo) are fine as long as they have Ayton and/or Baynes next to them.

Evil Ash

Henchman Supreme
Reaction score
Good thing is that the Suns don't need to trade for a power forward. Dario and Frank (and Diallo) are fine as long as they have Ayton and/or Baynes next to them.

I'd still say it's the weakest part of the team. However, we really haven't seen how good of a fit they are since this roster hasn't been fully available since game 1.

We have a while til the trade deadline to figure out if it's a need or not

SirStefan32

Krycek, Alex Krycek
Reaction score
I'd still say it's the weakest part of the team. However, we really haven't seen how good of a fit they are since this roster hasn't been fully available since game 1.

We have a while til the trade deadline to figure out if it's a need or not

Oh no doubt! Suns power forward rotation is easily the weakest part of the team. Back-up point guard is probably the second. I do believe that getting the two centers back will make the power forward rotation not look nearly as bad.

1Sun

ASFN Addict
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score

No, they aren't. That being said, Love is definitely not the answer.

Dr dumas

Veteran
Reaction score
Trading for Kevin Love is the fast track to salary cap hell. He has four years left and his game is declining significantly.

Looking at his stats he’s pretty much a 17pt and 10 rebound guy for the past 4 years. His stats are exactly the same this year even though we are a quarter through the season. While I don’t think he’s declining rapidly, I still don’t want him with his salary for the next three years.

OP
OP
JCSunsfan

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Looking at his stats he’s pretty much a 17pt and 10 rebound guy for the past 4 years. His stats are exactly the same this year even though we are a quarter through the season. While I don’t think he’s declining rapidly, I still don’t want him with his salary for the next three years.

77, 60, 59, 22. Games played by Love in the each of last four seasons successively. Declining, clearly.

But we both agree on not getting him, so, it's all good.

Phrazbit

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Honestly, it wouldn't surprise me if we did get him. Jones played with him, Jones, in his brief time, has shown deference to his former teams and teammates, we have a spotty situation in the front court and a big expiring contract.

I'd be pretty grossed out if we did it... but it would not surprise me at this point.

His contract is a nightmare.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Honestly, it wouldn't surprise me if we did get him. Jones played with him, Jones, in his brief time, has shown deference to his former teams and teammates, we have a spotty situation in the front court and a big expiring contract.

I'd be pretty grossed out if we did it... but it would not surprise me at this point.

His contract is a nightmare.

I'd be fine with adding Love to this roster. I would not be fine with giving up assets to make it happen. Tyler Johnson's contract is nothing but a negative but nowhere near the team killer that Love's contract is so at most I'd attach the Milwaukee pick. Right now, that probably wouldn't even get us a conversation and I'm okay with that too. But by the time the trade deadline approaches I suspect Cleveland will finally come to realize Love isn't going to net a haul of assets.

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
If Tyler Johnson was basically all that was dealt for Love, I could live with that. The Suns would need to include more salary to make it work and anything other than Kaminsky is too much. Kaminsky and Tyler Johnson for Love does work financially. Having Love for the next 3 years isn't pretty but it wouldn't be an issue until Ayton's deal is up. I think we'd still pay Oubre after next season if he's earned it and if Sarver is willing to take on Love's deal then so be it.

It does worry me some that they may end up having to make a KT type of trade in the near future but who knows, with the renovations to the arena maybe Sarver is cool dipping into the luxury tax for a year before Love expires. They should be a playoff team so that would help alleviate the costs some as well.

itlnsunsfan

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
I'd be fine with adding Love to this roster. I would not be fine with giving up assets to make it happen. Tyler Johnson's contract is nothing but a negative but nowhere near the team killer that Love's contract is so at most I'd attach the Milwaukee pick. Right now, that probably wouldn't even get us a conversation and I'm okay with that too. But by the time the trade deadline approaches I suspect Cleveland will finally come to realize Love isn't going to net a haul of assets.

Didn't we use that pick in the Jerome trade?

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Didn't we use that pick in the Jerome trade?

Yeah I think you're right. I came across a lot of trade suggestions today (for Kevin Love), all of them seemed to include that pick so I figured I was just misremembering.

Finito

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Now what if they agreed to pay half his salary?

then I think you do it but they have to pay some of that

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Now what if they agreed to pay half his salary?

then I think you do it but they have to pay some of that

That can't happen in the NBA, if it did then I think we'd see more deals like that.