The Luka Report

BC867

Long time Phoenician!
Reaction score
If you could trade Ayton for Doncic straight up, today, would you?
My opinion, no!

Doncic would put on a spectacular show, make the All Star team but, as far as the Suns season . . .

He would step on Rubio's toes as Point Guard
He would step on Booker's toes as scoring leader
He would be another Suns no-D star.

Hopefully, Ayton will develop as a key part of Suns victories this time around,
because we desperately need strength in the post.

Dr. Jones said:
This is such a myopic and crazy thing to say.

Like world class lazy

?????

CRC83

Veteran
Reaction score
My opinion, no!

Doncic would put on a spectacular show, make the All Star team but, as far as the Suns season . . .

?????
Surprised you still wouldn’t take Doncic today. Wow. But, it’s your opinion. I hope you’re right.

BC867

Long time Phoenician!
Reaction score
Surprised you still wouldn’t take Doncic today. Wow. But, it’s your opinion. I hope you’re right.
Over Ayton? How have we been doing lately with no solid Center?

If Baynes were ten years younger, it might be a different story.

I'm looking at the whole roster.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
More Sarver smoke IMO

Why is it necessarily not more McD smoke? I don't know the truth here but from what I've seen it's anyone's guess how and why this went down. Regardless, even though I believe we made the wrong pick, I have no problem with the decision. IMO, it was a reasonable choice.

taz02

All Star
Reaction score
Why is it necessarily not more McD smoke? I don't know the truth here but from what I've seen it's anyone's guess how and why this went down. Regardless, even though I believe we made the wrong pick, I have no problem with the decision. IMO, it was a reasonable choice.

Well said...and

I'd trade Ayton for Doncic. Chances of Ayton producing more than 30 10 and 9 or becoming a shot blocking, savage defender are very slim.

ArizonaSportsFan

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Igor was an awful coach. Monty has exposed the hell out of that. Igor shouldn't be sleeping well over that.
It may be that Igor was an awful coach. But to compare the two rosters and then say that Monty (who has bad losses this year and has the team playing disinterested at times) "exposed the hell" out of Igor is hyperbole.

Covert Rain

Father smelt of elderberries!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It may be that Igor was an awful coach. But to compare the two rosters and then say that Monty (who has bad losses this year and has the team playing disinterested at times) "exposed the hell" out of Igor is hyperbole.

Huh? Monty hasn't played with a full deck a big chunk of the young season. Igor set records in futility and didn't seem to grasp even the fundamentals. This team despite it's struggles is showing life and I bet he doesn't break futility records this season.

Dr. Jones

Has No Time For Love
Reaction score
This is such a myopic and crazy thing to say.

Like world class lazy

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

My opinion, no!

?????

This response answers your question marks.

Please. This is just hindsight nonsense.

Hindsight? He is still saying he wouldn't take Luka over Ayton. And his reasons are so outrageous.

He was talking about how our need was so much greater on the post than it was at PG. and remember..... this was a year before Rubio got here.

One guy has only provided empty stats and is on a drug suspension for a third of this year..... The other is 19 years old, and a top 5 player this year.

BC867

Long time Phoenician!
Reaction score
Hindsight? He is still saying he wouldn't take Luka over Ayton. And his reasons are so outrageous.

He was talking about how our need was so much greater on the post than it was at PG. and remember..... this was a year before Rubio got here.

One guy has only provided empty stats and is on a drug suspension for a third of this year..... The other is 19 years old, and a top 5 player this year.
Apparently, you don't understand the meaning of 'opinion'. We're each entitled to our own.

'Facts' will be when we see how far Doncic takes his team through the playoffs. And the results of Ayton being back for the Suns.

CRC83 said:
Had we drafted Doncic, or traded for Doncic today, I’m sure we could address the center position. I mean, who does Dallas have at center?

You say you're sure we could address the center position without Ayton? We haven't been able to address it since we lost the services of Ayton.

I'm not sure what address it means. Talk about it? We haven't been able to cover for it.

And what about the seasons before Ayton, when we had players from other positions playing Center. Where did that get us?

I understand your opinion of wanting Doncic over Ayton, but not your being sure that we'd be able to address the center position.

Which is why my opinion supports choosing Ayton over Doncic, even now that we see his stats, which no one predicted.

GatorAZ

feed hopkins
Reaction score
My opinion, no!

?????

Why are you assuming the roster would be the same? Besides Luka is much better than Rubio, much younger and much cheaper. We’d have other options for the front court in FA or last years draft/trades.

You’re worried too much about fit. An MVP caliber player at any position is better for this team than Ayton right now. If Ayton turns into a poor man’s David Robinson then I’ll change my decision but for now it’s an easy hypothetical swap.

CardsSunsDbacks

Not So Skeptical
Reaction score
Why are you assuming the roster would be the same? Besides Luka is much better than Rubio, much younger and much cheaper. We’d have other options for the front court in FA or last years draft/trades.

You’re worried too much about fit. An MVP caliber player at any position is better for this team than Ayton right now. If Ayton turns into a poor man’s David Robinson then I’ll change my decision but for now it’s an easy hypothetical swap.
With Booker playing better defense they could almost certainly coexist on that end. On offense Booker would get a ton of catch and shoot looks with Doncic getting so much attention.

As for front court rotation we could have just kept Holmes and still brought in the bigs that we did and the team would be playing just fine.

There is no way that I wouldn't swap Ayton for Doncic at this point, but I am still optimistic that Ayton can improve enough to at least not make it look like a massive mistake.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
You say you're sure we could address the center position without Ayton? We haven't been able to address it since we lost the services of Ayton.

WTF are you even talking about? We haven't been able to address it since we lost him? Yeah... that was 20 games ago... ONCE THE SEASON WAS ALREADY UNDERWAY. Were they supposed to go out and get a stud FA... at the beginning of the season... who didn't even exist on the market?

AND what we saw is we apparently HAD addressed it without Ayton as Baynes got us off to a great start.

And apparently there was one train of thought going into the 2018 off-season that we could draft Doncic and then go out and sign Clint Capella, who would actually be the defensive C you somehow deem Ayton to be even though Ayton was below average at best defensively last year.

my god... there's such lack of logic and thought seemingly put into your responses.

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
WTF are you even talking about? We haven't been able to address it since we lost him? Yeah... that was 20 games ago... ONCE THE SEASON WAS ALREADY UNDERWAY. Were they supposed to go out and get a stud FA... at the beginning of the season... who didn't even exist on the market?

AND what we saw is we apparently HAD addressed it without Ayton as Baynes got us off to a great start.

And apparently there was one train of thought going into the 2018 off-season that we could draft Doncic and then go out and sign Clint Capella, who would actually be the defensive C you somehow deem Ayton to be even though Ayton was below average at best defensively last year.

my god... there's such lack of logic and thought seemingly put into your responses.
Yep. Its just injuries (and a suspension). No team's third-string center is going to be the answer to anything. In fact, with signing Kaminski, this team has addressed potential needs at the center position more than most would.

BC867

Long time Phoenician!
Reaction score

I deemed Ayton to be a defensive Center? Perhaps you should read my responses
before you question my logic and thought.

I've been advocating that he is a better perimeter defender, as he was at UofA.

And that we need a starting Power Forward who can defend the post.

CRC83

Veteran
Reaction score
Apparently, you don't understand the meaning of 'opinion'. We're each entitled to our own.

'Facts' will be when we see how far Doncic takes his team through the playoffs. And the results of Ayton being back for the Suns.

I'm not sure what address it means. Talk about it? We haven't been able to cover for it.

And what about the seasons before Ayton, when we had players from other positions playing Center. Where did that get us?

I understand your opinion of wanting Doncic over Ayton, but not your being sure that we'd be able to address the center position.

Which is why my opinion supports choosing Ayton over Doncic, even now that we see his stats, which no one predicted.
Dallas is 15-6. Who is their center? Pretty sure we could have something similar to what they have.

Phrazbit

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I deemed Ayton to be a defensive Center? Perhaps you should read my responses
before you question my logic and thought.

I've been advocating that he is a better perimeter defender, as he was at UofA.

And that we need a starting Power Forward who can defend the post.

Again... Ayton, even at UofA, was a better defender on the interior. This narrative is nonsense. Arizona only played him at 4 because they had an immobile statue of a big sharing minutes with him.

SirStefan32

Krycek, Alex Krycek
Reaction score
Ayton is a good one on one defender, inside and on the perimeter. It's the rotations and help defense that he struggles with.

CardsSunsDbacks

Not So Skeptical
Reaction score
Ayton is a good one on one defender, inside and on the perimeter. It's the rotations and help defense that he struggles with.
Fortunately that is the part that you can hope to improve with experience and coaching. The players communicating well can help a lot as well.

SirStefan32

Krycek, Alex Krycek
Reaction score
Fortunately that is the part that you can hope to improve with experience and coaching. The players communicating well can help a lot as well.

That's a really interesting question. I am trying to think of a young player who didn't understand rotations improving significantly in that area. I am coming up blank, but I never really thought about this before. Can you guys think of any examples?

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Luka led the Mavs to their 3rd 40 point win this season. 3RD 40 POINT WIN THIS SEASON.

That's ridiculous for ANY season, much less 3 of them within the first 22 games.

Latest posts

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sarahmoose