The 2019-2020 Around the NBA thread

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The only possible thing the league can realistically do is suspend the referee crew and possibly change rules. Though it's my understanding that they had the option to challenge it, but waited too long to make that decision. Maybe they can give the refs leeway to initiate a replay anytime there is a questionable play like that?

Also I fully understand it is the refs job to get it right, but considering none of them appeared to see the ball go through it is somewhat understandable that Harden's initial reaction might have affected their decision on the play.

My understanding there was real confusion as what to challenge. Clearly watching the video, Harden and the Rockets were protesting the call.

This is what D'Antoni was quoted as saying:

"I have no idea," D'Antoni said. "I heard that they said the ball hit James and went back through, so it was a goaltend on James. I challenged that, and I didn't get a response. Then another guy said it wasn't a goaltend; it went out of bounds on us. And I said, 'Well, I challenge that.' Can't do that. You know, I don't know, to answer your question. I've got nothing. I can't tell you."

Personally I could care less about the outcome of the game but the league needs to be more humble on wanting to get the call right... a field goal no less. The referees needed to review that play.

On top of that the league office didn't do anything on their own afterwards.

A part of me is still upset about how high and mighty the league was in suspending Amare and Diaw. The league needs common sense.

https://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/28222229/rockets-hopeful-nba-acts-james-harden-dunk-not-counted

Last edited:
OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
If he only had a year or 2 left I would be a little intrigued, but with 3 more years after this year it would just be crippling.

Maybe but I would hope the Suns look at a younger player. I've never been a huge Kevin Love fan.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Of course Kellan Olson puts up this picture of James Jones and Kevin Love with a championship trophy.

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

hcsilla

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Maybe but I would hope the Suns look at a younger player. I've never been a huge Kevin Love fan.

I always liked Kevin Love, but being a defensive liability and injury prone, he is simply not worth his actual contract, IMO.

He would offer a (slight) upgrade over Saric in rebounding, passing and 3P-shooting but is that worth 90 mil. in 3 years? I do not think so.

Since the Suns are a borderline play-off team at best and do not have any bad long-term contracts I just do not see trade fit for Love.

Finito

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I don’t see anyone taking on that contract. That’s a lot of money for an aging PF. The Cavs are going to have to sweetin in the pot draft picks/ young players to get out of that contract

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I always liked Kevin Love, but being a defensive liability and injury prone, he is simply not worth his actual contract, IMO.

He would offer a (slight) upgrade over Saric in rebounding, passing and 3P-shooting but is that worth 90 mil. in 3 years? I do not think so.

Since the Suns are a borderline play-off team at best and do not have any bad long-term contracts I just do not see trade fit for Love.

I'm not wanting the Suns to give up young assets for Love beyond Tyler Johnson's contract. The Cavaliers would want young players and/or picks. It's not worth it to tie up the Suns future in a 31 year player.

Also the Suns biggest need seems to be adding a defensive FC. Someone should be available at a much lower price.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Agreed. I don’t know that his impact would be that different than Saric. Maybe a slightly better version.

A defensive 4/5 in addition to the Suns big men might be the better way unless someone really interesting becomes available before the trade deadline. I guess I would prefer Randle or Portis at a much lower asking price and salary. It's a shame the Suns traded their two future second round picks.

Finito

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
The Bucks are 20-3 and just blew out the Clippers.

that’s cute.

I see a lot of regular season wins and getting shut down in the finals. Giannis doesn’t shoot well from three or free throws

GatorAZ

feed hopkins
Reaction score
that’s cute.

I see a lot of regular season wins and getting shut down in the finals. Giannis doesn’t shoot well from three or free throws

Yeah they have a superstar and probably the most well coached team in the league but they need another piece. Middleton isn’t a #2.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Okay.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
And more about Josh Jackson.

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I was legitimately worried that the Jackson trade would blow up in the Suns faces, and it still could, but at this point it seems he's only given the people against the trade more reason to come around and see it as a positive thing.

I know I wanted Jackson in that draft and I wasn't alone, it sucks to be so far off. It sucks more because he has the talent to be a great player but his mental makeup has been his downfall.

Ronin

…..
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Shams Charania (@ShamsCharania)
12/9/19, 2:22 PM
NBA statement on Rockets protest denied from Spurs loss on Dec. 3: “Commissioner Silver determined that the Rockets had sufficient time to overcome the error” when James Harden’s dunk, with 7:50 remaining and 102-89 lead, did not count.

Ronin

…..
Super Moderator
Reaction score
12/9/19, 2:23 PM
The NBA has disciplined the three referees from the Rockets/Spurs Dec. 3 game for misapplying the coach’s challenge, and will work with the Competition Committee to develop additional procedures to help prevent the situation.

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
12/9/19, 2:22 PM
NBA statement on Rockets protest denied from Spurs loss on Dec. 3: “Commissioner Silver determined that the Rockets had sufficient time to overcome the error” when James Harden’s dunk, with 7:50 remaining and 102-89 lead, did not count.

If Houston handled the appeal better then they might have been able to replay that final 7:50. From the moment the game ended though they complained about how they should have had the win in regulation and the league should award that to them. They've been whiners in the past also, having independent officials review game film and submitting it to the league office to point out errors made. You'd think they'd count their blessing since Harden gets 20 FT's a game on his own but it seems they have a sense of entitlement that is very off putting.

CardsSunsDbacks

Not So Skeptical
Reaction score
If Houston handled the appeal better then they might have been able to replay that final 7:50. From the moment the game ended though they complained about how they should have had the win in regulation and the league should award that to them. They've been whiners in the past also, having independent officials review game film and submitting it to the league office to point out errors made. You'd think they'd count their blessing since Harden gets 20 FT's a game on his own but it seems they have a sense of entitlement that is very off putting.
I honestly doubt the NBA would have even granted them that. It's a really bad mess up, but it's not like that missed call obviously costed them the game either.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yeah, it was never going to happen. It's just not a door they want to open.

I knew the Rockets were going to lose the protest with NBA Commissioner David Stern... oops I meant Adam Silver.

CardsSunsDbacks

Not So Skeptical
Reaction score
Yeah, it was never going to happen. It's just not a door they want to open.
The most I can see coming out of it is maybe making a rule that allows the refs to review anything they aren't sure about. At least in the 4th quarter anyways as it might slow the game down too much if allowed for all 4 quarters. Though I am always for them getting the calls right regardless of game situation.