Devin Booker's development has been interrupted

OP
OP
BC867

BC867

Long time Phoenician!
Reaction score
He is one of the best defenders in the league. He also shut down in past games Paul George, Russell Westbrook, Kevin Durant a bunch of other scorers the past couple seasons. I liken this to sticking your best corner on the best receiver in the NFL. Booker was also double teamed a few times as well. Not really that concerned. Dude was phenomenal overall.

I appreciate what Devin Booker has done for the Suns. But I believe that his ceiling is a very good offensive
player, not potentially at the Michael, Kobe or Harden level, which seems to be what this debate is about.

Your explanation alibis that. An excellent defender shut down Booker. Booker did not outplay the excellent
defender. Luckily Monty knew to call plays to overcome that and attain the victory.

There has been nothing wrong hoping that Booker would be absolutely elite. There is also nothing wrong
with accepting that he is in the category below that. Which, unfortunately, will probably be supported
when he does not get chosen as an All Star, barring last minute injuries to All Star guards.

I'd like to see him chosen, on behalf of the Suns, but it doesn't look probable. Time will tell.

itlnsunsfan

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Come on guys. The Pelicans were aggressively trying to take away Booker late, but he still had 8 points, 3 rebounds, 3 assists, and a steal in the 4th quarter and overtime. And he was godly the rest of the game. Even the all time greats have stretches in games where the defense gives them problems. That was a great sign from Devin and one of the top performances of the year from a player. Be encouraged.

1Sun

ASFN Addict
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Starting to think Booker's ceiling is Michael Redd. Great player and likely an All Star at least once, but not a superstar, not a franchise player, and not the best player on a good team.

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Starting to think Booker's ceiling is Michael Redd. Great player and likely an All Star at least once, but not a superstar, not a franchise player, and not the best player on a good team.
I can't even, wow. Booker is already significantly better than Michael Redd was even on his best day.

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I appreciate what Devin Booker has done for the Suns. But I believe that his ceiling is a very good offensive
player, not potentially at the Michael, Kobe or Harden level, which seems to be what this debate is about.

So he won't be in the GOAT conversion like MJ and Kobe are or an MVP like Harden? If you were expecting him to reach MJ or Kobe levels then no wonder you're disappointed in him. Booker is good, really good some nights, but he's not going to end up in the greatest of all time conversation. He may end up as one of the best Suns of all time but that is quite different than becoming the #1 or #2 shooting guard of all time, like Kobe and MJ.

CardsSunsDbacks

Not So Skeptical
Reaction score
So he won't be in the GOAT conversion like MJ and Kobe are or an MVP like Harden? If you were expecting him to reach MJ or Kobe levels then no wonder you're disappointed in him. Booker is good, really good some nights, but he's not going to end up in the greatest of all time conversation. He may end up as one of the best Suns of all time but that is quite different than becoming the #1 or #2 shooting guard of all time, like Kobe and MJ.
I still believe he will surpass Kobe as an offensive player, but he will never be up their overall as Kobe was a much better defender.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I still believe he will surpass Kobe as an offensive player, but he will never be up their overall as Kobe was a much better defender.

I jusrt don't see how there's any way he surpasses Kobe as an offensive player. Kobe was just as good a passer if not better throughout his career, could explode past anyone guarding him, attack the rim at will and then developed a killer post-up game. Booker will never be able to attack the rim like Kobe did and we've seen absolutely no hint whatsoever he's got any post up game, nor has he shown even close to the same handles.

Kobe was one of the best offensive players of all time. You really think when all's said and done Booker's got a shot to be one of the best offensive players ever? Man, I just don't see that at all.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Kobe could get his shot off against anyone and any defense, Booker isn't likely to ever match him at that. And it was much harder to force the ball out of Kobe's hands than it is with Devin. But OTOH Kobe would force a lot of shots that he really shouldn't have - if Booker plays it smarter than Bryant did I agree he could become a greater all around offensive weapon. For that to happen though Devin would also have to return to his old self (if not improve) when it comes to drawing fouls. Kobe drew almost 9 free throws per game during his best years and having a player that forces the refs to make calls is a big difference maker especially in crunch time.

CardsSunsDbacks

Not So Skeptical
Reaction score
Kobe could get his shot off against anyone and any defense, Booker isn't likely to ever match him at that. And it was much harder to force the ball out of Kobe's hands than it is with Devin. But OTOH Kobe would force a lot of shots that he really shouldn't have - if Booker plays it smarter than Bryant did I agree he could become a greater all around offensive weapon. For that to happen though Devin would also have to return to his old self (if not improve) when it comes to drawing fouls. Kobe drew almost 9 free throws per game during his best years and having a player that forces the refs to make calls is a big difference maker especially in crunch time.
Well I didn't say "scorer" I said offensive player and I stand by it. Booker is without question a better shooter and a better facilitator than Kobe. We still also haven't seen the best Booker has to offer as a scorer either. I suspect his best seasons will be something like 30 points and 7 assists on really good shooting numbers.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Well I didn't say "scorer" I said offensive player and I stand by it. Booker is without question a better shooter and a better facilitator than Kobe. We still also haven't seen the best Booker has to offer as a scorer either. I suspect his best seasons will be something like 30 points and 7 assists on really good shooting numbers.

Well, I wasn't really disagreeing with you.

Booker has been great at times at drawing fouls and we need that to be a staple of his game going forward. It's amazing how much you can improve your overall team on offense and defense just by having a player that commands serious referee attention. And I agree that Booker will probably have a handful of seasons where he averages 30 points per game and at a higher efficiency than Bryant.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score

The stats are not far off. Perhaps there is a chance.

https://www.basketball-reference.co...=Kobe+Bryant&player_id2=bryanko01&idx=players

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
He is one of the best defenders in the league. He also shut down in past games Paul George, Russell Westbrook, Kevin Durant a bunch of other scorers the past couple seasons. I liken this to sticking your best corner on the best receiver in the NFL. Booker was also double teamed a few times as well. Not really that concerned. Dude was phenomenal overall.
It it wasn’t like it was an epic battle where Jrue won some and book won some. From the the 3:30 mark through the end of OT the only points book had were free throws following a rebound when the pels were forced to foul. In other words, Jrue literally shut him down. Not back and forth. Not slowed him down. Shut him down.

Now I know someone’s going to post “I can’t believe you think booker was the problem” or “I can’t believe you think he sucks,” or “I guess 44 points isn’t good enough for you.” NO, I AM NOT SAYING ANY OF THAT. All I’m voicing is concern that our best player, at the most crucial point of the game, can be essentially eliminated. That’s a legit concern.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
I know who Jrue is. And I know his defensive ability. And while he might slow those guys down I don’t think he’s every blanked them for essentially 8 minutes to end a game. BLANKED them. That’s what he did to book.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score

Your explanation alibis that. An excellent defender shut down Booker. Booker did not outplay the excellent
defender. Luckily Monty knew to call plays to overcome that and attain the victory.

There has been nothing wrong hoping that Booker would be absolutely elite. There is also nothing wrong
with accepting that he is in the category below that. Which, unfortunately, will probably be supported
when he does not get chosen as an All Star, barring last minute injuries to All Star guards.

I'd like to see him chosen, on behalf of the Suns, but it doesn't look probable. Time will tell.
I agree with everything but the all star thing. I think we are .500 or better and fighting for a playoff spot and he’s getting 24 5 and 4 he’s going to his first all star game.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
Come on guys. The Pelicans were aggressively trying to take away Booker late, but he still had 8 points, 3 rebounds, 3 assists, and a steal in the 4th quarter and overtime. And he was godly the rest of the game. Even the all time greats have stretches in games where the defense gives them problems. That was a great sign from Devin and one of the top performances of the year from a player. Be encouraged.
Again, from the 3:30 point of the 4th through the end of OT. When the pels fought back to force OT and the crucial OT he had exactly 2 points on free throws on intentional foul to stop clock. He was impressive the whole game. But at finishing time he was shut down. It’s just a fact. And it’s disturbing. Luckily not every team has a Jrue holiday. But he’s likely to see other similar defenders thrown at him at games end and I hope we see a more resourceful “star” who can finish teams.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
Well, I wasn't really disagreeing with you.

Booker has been great at times at drawing fouls and we need that to be a staple of his game going forward. It's amazing how much you can improve your overall team on offense and defense just by having a player that commands serious referee attention. And I agree that Booker will probably have a handful of seasons where he averages 30 points per game and at a higher efficiency than Bryant.
Man 30pts/game is an enormous accomplishment these days. I’m surprised to hear y’all so confident in that given books relative physical ceiling.

OP
OP
BC867

BC867

Long time Phoenician!
Reaction score
Again, from the 3:30 point of the 4th through the end of OT. When the pels fought back to force OT and the crucial OT he had exactly 2 points on free throws on intentional foul to stop clock. He was impressive the whole game. But at finishing time he was shut down. It’s just a fact. And it’s disturbing. Luckily not every team has a Jrue holiday. But he’s likely to see other similar defenders thrown at him at games end and I hope we see a more resourceful “star” who can finish teams.
When Ayton returns and, perhaps, Diallo builds his scoring at Power Forward as he has been doing at Center,
we'll see where Devin levels off when he faces less double-teaming. Especially if Rubio can find a way to get
some more points in the backcourt.

It will come down to skillset. And every player reaches the limit of his level sooner or later.

But it doesn't help when the evaluation is that he is still trying to involve other players.

In other words, he wants the ball in his hands most of the time. That invites double teams.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Man 30pts/game is an enormous accomplishment these days. I’m surprised to hear y’all so confident in that given books relative physical ceiling.

I don't see it as much of a stretch though considering that he's averaged a little over 25 points since the 17-18 season. But I wouldn't go so far as too say I'm confident. I think/hope he will but I don't know that I would take an even money bet on it.

1Sun

ASFN Addict
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
I know who Jrue is. And I know his defensive ability. And while he might slow those guys down I don’t think he’s every blanked them for essentially 8 minutes to end a game. BLANKED them. That’s what he did to book.

And he's not the only one lately...

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
I don't see it as much of a stretch though considering that he's averaged a little over 25 points since the 17-18 season. But I wouldn't go so far as too say I'm confident. I think/hope he will but I don't know that I would take an even money bet on it.
I suppose my criticism lies in the much greater number of players historically that have scored in the 24-27 range compared to the much more limited numbers that have eclipsed 30. In the last decade players have only accomplished 30pts/game 7 times. Seven times in ten years.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Do you know how many seasons LeBron averaged at least 30 points and 7 assists? 1.

Do you know how many seasons Dwyane Wade averaged 30 points and 7 assists? 1.

Do you know how many seasons Steph Curry averaged at least 30 points and 7 assists? NONE.

Do you know how many seasons Kevin Durant averaged at least 30/7? NONE.

But somehow, Devin Booker... is going to accomplish something the greatest scorers/playmakers the game has ever seen either only did once or NEVER did?

I mean... in Michael Jordan's 6 title winning years, he averaged 30 points and 5 assists, shooting at 50% from the field and 32% from three... and Booker's "best seasons" will be better offensively... than MJ from 1991-1998?

I... just don't get where some of you are coming some times. I mean, you didn't even say his best season... you said seasons, as in plural. The statement implies that Devin Booker will be one of the best offensive players in the history of the game.

Is the statement above just a case of not realizing just how rare-ified air those stats are or do you really believe that when all's said and done, he's going to be compared offensively to the LeBron, Wade, Curry, Kobe, Harden and Jordan's of the world?

CardsSunsDbacks

Not So Skeptical
Reaction score
Do you know how many seasons LeBron averaged at least 30 points and 7 assists? 1.

Do you know how many seasons Dwyane Wade averaged 30 points and 7 assists? 1.

Do you know how many seasons Steph Curry averaged at least 30 points and 7 assists? NONE.

Do you know how many seasons Kevin Durant averaged at least 30/7? NONE.

But somehow, Devin Booker... is going to accomplish something the greatest scorers/playmakers the game has ever seen either only did once or NEVER did?

I mean... in Michael Jordan's 6 title winning years, he averaged 30 points and 5 assists, shooting at 50% from the field and 32% from three... and Booker's "best seasons" will be better offensively... than MJ from 1991-1998?

I... just don't get where some of you are coming some times. I mean, you didn't even say his best season... you said seasons, as in plural. The statement implies that Devin Booker will be one of the best offensive players in the history of the game.

Is the statement above just a case of not realizing just how rare-ified air those stats are or do you really believe that when all's said and done, he's going to be compared offensively to the LeBron, Wade, Curry, Kobe, Harden and Jordan's of the world?
All of that was a pretty big waste of time. The league is in an era of inflated numbers and thus it is far more likely for a player to put up numbers like that today than it was even as recently as LeBron's prime.

I mean Westbrook averaged 31/10/10 just a couple years ago and I think we can agree that he isn't on those guys level's either. I would guess no one would have believe like 5 years ago that Harden would ever be averaging 39 ppg and here we are.

We are only going to continue to see bigger and bigger numbers until they make some sort of rule change that slows the league back down or gives the defense some help. Neither will likely happen anytime soon.

Also not sure why you are taking the numbers so literally considering I clearly stated "something like" which means close to those two numbers. Maybe his best seasons will be a point or assist off or something, but I think his best years will be close to those numbers. If you were to count every time LeBron and MJ got close to those numbers you would get something more like 5-6 seasons apiece and the league was much lower scoring then.

Last edited:

GatorAZ

feed hopkins
Reaction score
All of that was a pretty big waste of time. The league is in an era of inflated numbers and thus it is far more likely for a player to put up numbers like that today than it was even as recently as LeBron's prime.

I mean Westbrook averaged 31/10/10 just a couple years ago and I think we can agree that he isn't on those guys level's either. I would guess no one would have believe like 5 years ago that Harden would ever be averaging 39 ppg and here we are.

We are only going to continue to see bigger and bigger numbers until they make some sort of rule change that slows the league back down or gives the defense some help. Neither will likely happen anytime soon.

Also not sure why you are taking the numbers so literally considering I clearly stated "something like" which means close to those two numbers. Maybe his best seasons will be a point or assist off or something, but I think his best years will be close to those numbers. If you were to count every time LeBron and MJ got close to those numbers you would get something more like 5-6 seasons apiece and the league was much lower scoring then.

Exactly why I don’t believe claims that Booker is already better shooter or passer than Kobe based on numbers. Yes his efficiency numbers are higher than Kobe but like you said Westbrook averaged a trip-dub, Harden is averaging 40, Towns has better numbers than prime Dirk etc etc etc... Stats today need to be taken with a boulder of salt.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sarahmoose