Steelers' 3rd string QB

overseascardfan

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
The best unit in this game is Pittsburgh's defense. The worst unit in the game is AZ's Defense.

the game will be won by the team who can move the ball the best and control the clock the best.

With that being said:
They have won 7 games and are in the AFC playoffs right now.
They have a Coach of the Year candidate.
They are 7-2 in their last 9 games. All with a Drew Stanton Level QB starting.
They have been without Conner or JuJu in last two or three.
They barely lost to Baltimore in OT with a Drew Stanton level QB.
They won last week with an undrafted rookie QB from Samford college and a 3rd string Rookie 4th round RB.

We are 3-6 in our last 9 and have lost 5 straight.
We have the worst defense in the league and the worst secondary of maybe the past decade in AZ.
We will also be a road team in our own stadium this weekend.

If we win...... This would be a shocker IMO.
You know what the reason is for that and the big difference between us and them? Strong ownership and a good GM that knows how to build and run a team.

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
I don’t understand this.

It’s not 1v1 out there. What about the 11 players Hodges will be actually going against out there?

You telling me that if Kyler put up a statline of 4:0 TDs/INTs with 386 yards against a great defense with two potential DPOY candidates while Hodges puts up 2:1 against this porous defense with 288 yards, but still wins, you hold that against Kyler?

Like what?
I don't see how we lose in that scenario.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
Great competitors find ways to elevate their game to win and overcome. I don't know how else to describe great players overcoming adversity to win. I don't know how else to explain players taking over games.

What I am saying is that Murray needs to figure out how to attack this Pittsburgh defense and score more points than Duck Freaking Hodges can score vs ours. If our defense gives up 300 yards passing and 3+ passing TDs, Murray betters that, and we lose...we can talk.

A guy with the talent of Hodges vs our defense should still be in a tougher spot than a player of Murray's skill vs the Steelers defense.

Hoodhero

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Great competitors find ways to elevate their game to win and overcome. I don't know how else to describe great players overcoming adversity to win. I don't know how else to explain players taking over games.

What I am saying is that Murray needs to figure out how to attack this Pittsburgh defense and score more points than Duck Freaking Hodges can score vs ours. If our defense gives up 300 yards passing and 3+ passing TDs, Murray betters that, and we lose...we can talk.

A guy with the talent of Hodges vs our defense should still be in a tougher spot than a player of Murray's skill vs the Steelers defense.

Steelers got 2 x DPOY candidates in TJ Watt & Minkah plus are 3rd in DVOA. Hodges is going against worst defense in league & just needs Vance Macdonald to step on field to win. How exactly is he in a tougher position? :confused:

blindseyed

I'm saying you ARE stuck in Wichita
Reaction score
I'm at the point now, yet again like the last few years, where I don't expect to win so if we do it's a pleasant surprise . Already been thinking about our off-season since Oct

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
Steelers got 2 x DPOY candidates in TJ Watt & Minkah plus are 3rd in DVOA. Hodges is going against worst defense in league & just needs Vance Macdonald to step on field to win. How exactly is he in a tougher position? :confused:
Your argument is that an undrafted rookie QB (in his 5th game, 3rd started and 61 passing attempts) with below average offensive weapons vs a bad defense is better than a #1 drafted overall QB (in his 13th game, 13th started, and 427 passing attempts) with average offensive weapons (or at least better than Pittsburgh's) vs a good defense. If this is truly your argument, Kyler Murray was a terrible pick because we used the #1 pick on the equivalent of Dak Prescott.

Dr. Jones

Has No Time For Love
Reaction score
Your argument is that an undrafted rookie QB (in his 5th game, 3rd started and 61 passing attempts) with below average offensive weapons vs a bad defense is better than a #1 drafted overall QB (in his 13th game, 13th started, and 427 passing attempts) with average offensive weapons (or at least better than Pittsburgh's) vs a good defense. If this is truly your argument, Kyler Murray was a terrible pick because we used the #1 pick on the equivalent of Dak Prescott.
Although I think he is going to be better than Dak...... If you were re-drafting the 2016 draft, Dak is a sure fire top 15 pick at the most conservative. And the #1 overall to the Rams at the most aggressive.

I would probably say that Bosa, Ramsey, Dak, Wentz, & maybe Zeke are the top 5 picks. Maybe Michael Thomas sneaks in ahead of Zeke now. And Goff may still be top 10. Even with this year hampering him. After all, he was the NFC offensive player of the week. hahaha

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
Although I think he is going to be better than Dak...... If you were re-drafting the 2016 draft, Dak is a sure fire top 15 pick at the most conservative. And the #1 overall to the Rams at the most aggressive.

I would probably say that Bosa, Ramsey, Dak, Wentz, & maybe Zeke are the top 5 picks. Maybe Michael Thomas sneaks in ahead of Zeke now. And Goff may still be top 10. Even with this year hampering him. After all, he was the NFC offensive player of the week. hahaha
My issue with Dak is similar to my issue with Alex Smith, Andy Dalton, and probably 20 other QBs in the NFL. If you need a top 5 NFL roster to be competitive with that QB, I am not inclined to think he is much better than average.

If Murray's career mirrors Matthew Staffords (also a #1 pick), I am pretty meh about the selection even though I do get to consistently watch competitive football, even if we rarely make the playoffs.

DVontel

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
My issue with Dak is similar to my issue with Alex Smith, Andy Dalton, and probably 20 other QBs in the NFL. If you need a top 5 NFL roster to be competitive with that QB, I am not inclined to think he is much better than average.

If Murray's career mirrors Matthew Staffords (also a #1 pick), I am pretty meh about the selection even though I do get to consistently watch competitive football, even if we rarely make the playoffs.
I’ll say this, if his career mirrors Philip Rivers, I’ll be highly disappointed.

DVontel

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Love the avatar...

re: the Rivers comment. You definitely have a higher expectation for his career than I do.
Thank you

I just think no:

All Pro

MVP

SB

Memorable playoff moment(s)

would be a disappointment for someone like Kyler. Maybe I’m alone I guess.

Cardsfaninlouky

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Agreed. I expect him to get hype after this "breakout game"
A QB off the street, signed the day before playing us would torch our defense. 5th string TE would have 100 yds receiving & 2 TD's. QB off the street.........? 300+ & 3 TD's. That's how bad our defense is right now.

wit3card

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
A QB off the street, signed the day before playing us would torch our defense. 5th string TE would have 100 yds receiving & 2 TD's. QB off the street.........? 300+ & 3 TD's. That's how bad our defense is right now.
Exactly

And our O-line was exposed last week and the Rams showed all teams a blue print, how you destroy our O.

Simple, put a good NT/DT on Shipley and push him backwards than, there is no pocket and your DE/OLB have only to keep Kyler in check, till you can sack him.

basically that works on every team, but with our O-line it seams to be that easy, probably AQ Shipley shouldn't start on any O-line but be a back-up but who would have thought that *sarcasm*

if there is no pocket to step up and the RT gets destoryed every time and the only one that somehow seems to stop a guy is your LT, that will be a long day. Since the same dumb situations will happen:

Kyler breaks out to the left, Watt will chase him down
Kyler breaks out to the left, he gets some yardage
Kyler breaks out to the left, Hump will get a flag for holding
Kyler breaks out to the left, gets off a throw and that may or may not be caught

And that will repeat with some fast throws and some runs that get stoped at LOS maybe, Drake will break one or two, but I'm not inclined to think that, that happens.

Rams and Steelers D seem way better build to stop a QB that also runs than the 49ers, that will also be the downfall of the 49ers in the playoffs. And probably the one of the Steelers when they face NE.

CardsSunsDbacks

Not So Skeptical
Reaction score
Exactly

And our O-line was exposed last week and the Rams showed all teams a blue print, how you destroy our O.

Simple, put a good NT/DT on Shipley and push him backwards than, there is no pocket and your DE/OLB have only to keep Kyler in check, till you can sack him.

basically that works on every team, but with our O-line it seams to be that easy, probably AQ Shipley shouldn't start on any O-line but be a back-up but who would have thought that *sarcasm*

if there is no pocket to step up and the RT gets destoryed every time and the only one that somehow seems to stop a guy is your LT, that will be a long day. Since the same dumb situations will happen:

Kyler breaks out to the left, Watt will chase him down
Kyler breaks out to the left, he gets some yardage
Kyler breaks out to the left, Hump will get a flag for holding
Kyler breaks out to the left, gets off a throw and that may or may not be caught

And that will repeat with some fast throws and some runs that get stoped at LOS maybe, Drake will break one or two, but I'm not inclined to think that, that happens.

Rams and Steelers D seem way better build to stop a QB that also runs than the 49ers, that will also be the downfall of the 49ers in the playoffs. And probably the one of the Steelers when they face NE.
Well they have the best DT in the game. Donald exposes a lot of team’s interior. Doesn’t mean every other team can do the same to the same effect.

Solar7

Go Suns
Reaction score
@DVontel @Chopper0080

I'm amazed my expectations for Kyler are so much lower than yours', haha. I'd be over the moon if he were Rivers or Stafford. Sign me up for 10+ years of good quarterbacking, even if we don't win it all.

DVontel

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
@DVontel @Chopper0080

I'm amazed my expectations for Kyler are so much lower than yours', haha. I'd be over the moon if he were Rivers or Stafford. Sign me up for 10+ years of good quarterbacking, even if we don't win it all.
The thing with Kyler is I expect great quarterbacking. I think he will be special when it all comes together. Just for him to accumulate a bunch of stats with not having that one moment in a big game people won’t remember you for is just.....saddening.

Cardsfaninlouky

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Thank you

I just think no:

All Pro

MVP

SB

Memorable playoff moment(s)

would be a disappointment for someone like Kyler. Maybe I’m alone I guess.
You're not alone. I think he can accomplish all that, hope so anyway? I will be disappointed if he doesn't reach those.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sarahmoose