ASFN Addict
Reaction score

The Athletic MLB
@TheAthleticMLB

·
1h

Sources tell
@Ken_Rosenthal
that the Yankees will meet with both Gerrit Cole and Stephen Strasburg this week.
Man I could see them signing both, wouldn’t that be the Yankee thing to do? If HOU let’s Cole go they will live to regret it. If I were them I’d look to trade Greinke or Verlander if they need to free up money.

1Sun

ASFN Addict
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

So Walker is nontendered, but Lamb is still here? Getting very difficult to make sense of the roster Hazen is putting together.

Dback Jon

Killer Snail
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Well, that should at least put some constraints on Lovullo's needless tinkering with relievers...

It's the Davey Roberts rule. Lovullo was far from the worst offender on this.

Dback Jon

Killer Snail
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Does that count playoffs ect? Can't immagine that being the case for a WS game.

It speeds up the game, but it's still stupid in a close late inning game.

Why would they change a rule just for the playoffs?

Endless pitching changes are a problem. This will help.

Probably the 9th inning is the least effected.

WildBB

Yogi n da Bear
Reaction score
Why would they change a rule just for the playoffs?

Endless pitching changes are a problem. This will help.

Probably the 9th inning is the least effected.
I was referring to the last two, three innings..but anyway, it would be a sucky way to lose a WS when you should have a lefty on lefty matchup for a batter or maybe not ready to throw your best RP (closer) out there yet.

I guess if it gets to that teams will mtl just throw starters out there in 7th, 8th innings now as RP pretty much don't have the same repertoire of pitches, if they give up a couple hits/walks to open those late innings and get themselves in trouble.

BC867

Long time Phoenician!
Reaction score
Well, that should at least put some constraints on Lovullo's needless tinkering with relievers...
Now if they just institute constraints about how many positions a position player can play during a game.

Or a limit on double-switches (not including pitchers) or triple-switches as happened last season.

I know, I know, they don't require warmup throws.

Or penalize the manager if a player moves from LF to the infield and collides with another infielder,
as happened last season.

Baseball is an individual sport played in a team concept. Chemistry does come into play.

Ronin

…..
Super Moderator
Reaction score

Jon Heyman
@JonHeyman

·
13m

Yanks had “very nice” introductory meeting with Gerrit Cole yesterday. No $ specifically discussed. They are selling him on being a Yankee and winning. Also key: “the dollars will be there.” The Yankees believe he’d thrive in NY but also believe he may prefer LA.

Ronin

…..
Super Moderator
Reaction score

Jon Heyman
@JonHeyman

·
47m

Phillies are definitely a player in Zack Wheeler derby now. Reds, White Sox, others also in. All likely in at least at $100M/5. Question is how much over $100M it will go (6th year?). Yankees in touch but more focused on Cole/Strasburg.
@Buster_ESPN
1st linked Philly/Wheeler

Ronin

…..
Super Moderator
Reaction score

Jon Heyman
@JonHeyman

·
2m

Phillies are looking at Stephen Strasburg. They just saw old friend Cole Hamels go to rival Braves but expect them to work hard to improve rotation. Phils also in on Wheeler, as noted, plus others. Also linked to SS: WAS, NYY, LAD, SD. Incumbent Nats seen as favorites for now.

Ronin

…..
Super Moderator
Reaction score

Ken Rosenthal
@Ken_Rosenthal

·
19m

Hamels taking physical today. Per source, #Braves’ decision to sign him doesn’t take them out of Bumgarner, but reflects market for him and others might exceed their comfort level. ATL signed Hamels for $18M, right around qualifying offer. Can give him actual QO at end of season.