Deandre Ayton facing 25 game suspension

Covert Rain

Father smelt of elderberries!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
His presence alone will make a world of difference. Having someone that tall in the paint while giving us some roster flexibility. I only expect 20-25 minutes to start with. What i'm concerned about is his stamina because he had issues last year with it, then the suspension. I'm guessing the stamina/conditioning and the suspension are intertwined.

I have watched him pretty closely since he started playing with the Suns. One thing that doesn't show up on the stat line is him altering shots. One HUGE difference I have seen since he has been out is that teams are not really having to do that against us. Ayton alters shots all the time either because of his size or attempted block.

BC867

Long time Phoenician!
Reaction score
At this point, I am not counting on Baynes ever being back at 100%.
As a starter, that is probably true.

Hopefully, for the rest of this season, he can hang in there as backup Center.

I've given up on the idea of Baynes starting at PF alongside Ayton to play
Center on defense and maximize the strong points of each of them.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
At this point, I am not counting on Baynes ever being back at 100%.

Agreed. I'm hearing rumblings they might have to amputate his leg at this point!

seriously dude, there's living your sports life with a dark cloud over your head and then there's praying for rain on the daily. I'm pretty cynical when it comes to sports, and have agreed/argued a lot on this team, but you do yourself no favors with posts like these or seemingly always foreseeing the worst-case scenarios.

WildBB

Yogi n da Bear
Reaction score
His body has clearly been breaking down.
They got him for reserve minutes at this stage of his career. Man, but it would have been good to have Holmes still. Oh well, couldn't have known all this was gonna go down. And there were some off court concerns there, imo.

Last edited:

Covert Rain

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Agreed. I'm hearing rumblings they might have to amputate his leg at this point!

seriously dude, there's living your sports life with a dark cloud over your head and then there's praying for rain on the daily. I'm pretty cynical when it comes to sports, and have agreed/argued a lot on this team, but you do yourself no favors with posts like these or seemingly always foreseeing the worst-case scenarios.

The other day 1sun was jumping to the conclusion he needed micro fracture surgery... so take it with a grain of salt.

Ahhh....so I should just hold the Pepa!

You must be registered for see images attach

1Sun

ASFN Addict
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
The other day 1sun was jumping to the conclusion he needed micro fracture surgery... so take it with a grain of salt.

I said unreported extended absence along the lines of Amare and Penny. Never did I say microfracture surgery. But go on, keep deliberately misrepresenting my posts.

For the record, my belief is that Baynes' body is breaking down, which in my opinion is inevitable at his age, or even younger, for an undersized big man who mixes it up and bangs inside with much bigger and stronger opposing big men. Look no further than Hot Rod Williams and Jake Voskuhl for recent Suns examples. Kudos to Baynes for the tough mentality to do so, but it takes its toll on the body eventually.

Now add the extended play in FIBA and being forced to play many more minutes than accustomed due to Ayton's absence, and there you go.

Under these circumstances, it was only a matter of time in terms of when Baynes would suffer one nagging injury after another due to his body being worn out and breaking down.

Last edited:

Phrazbit

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I said unreported extended absence along the lines of Amare and Penny. Never did I say microfracture surgery. But go on, keep deliberately misrepresenting my posts.

For the record, my belief is that Baynes' body is breaking down, which in my opinion is inevitable at his age, or even younger, for an undersized big man who mixes it up and bangs inside with much bigger and stronger opposing big men. Look no further than Hot Rod Williams and Jake Voskuhl for recent Suns examples. Kudos to Baynes for the tough mentality to do so, but it takes its toll on the body eventually.

Now add the extended play in FIBA and being forced to play many more minutes than accustomed due to Ayton's absence, and there you go.

Under these circumstances, it was only a matter of time in terms of when Baynes would suffer one nagging injury after another due to his body being worn out and breaking down.

You said you thought he had an injury that was serious.
Something tells me Baynes' injury is more serious than is being reported... like Amare or Penny Hardaway serious...
Amare and Penny Hardaway both famously had micro fracture surgeries. Pretty difficult to call that a misrepresentation.

For a guy who loves saying "I told you so" you sure don't like being reminded of what you've said.

Covert Rain

Supporting Member
Reaction score

Isn't that splitting hairs? Those injuries were really serious. Even if it's not the EXACT same injury indicating that the seriousness is the same is spot on with the point everyone is making. It's why your over the top statement confused me and I thought I missed a report on his injuries.

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Not so much an update but some speculation from Valley of the Suns that the appeal was never filed. The writer raises a valid argument in favor of that. The idea is that after the initial news broke and Ayton had a chance to sit down with the Players Association that they decided not to appeal because they knew it wouldn't help him. It's understandable why Ayton's camp hasn't stepped up and said they declined the option to file the appeal after further review and the players association making a similar comment would sort of be speaking out of turn, leaving that to Ayton to handle.

The Suns organization isn't really involved in this as far as owing the fans an explanation on the appeal. They haven't commented besides their initial announcement about Ayton's suspension. As far as I recall they never commented on the appeal either, they said what the punishment was and what it was for and said they were moving forward. Any comment on the appeal would be up to Ayton's camp or the NBAPA. The Suns organization are sort of an extension of the league office in this since they're the ones who enforcing the suspension by not paying Ayton and also holding him out of games.

Anyways, it's not really an official update but it's interesting conjecture on the matter....

https://valleyofthesuns.com/2019/12...spension-appeal-news-phoenix-suns-suspicious/

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
We are waiting for you Deandre... 4 more games.

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

82CardsGrad

7 x 70
Reaction score
We are waiting for you Deandre... 4 more games.

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

Can't say I get excited seeing him practicing his 3-point shots... His conditioning better be where it needs to be, and he better be ready to bang down low!

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Can't say I get excited seeing him practicing his 3-point shots... His conditioning better be where it needs to be, and he better be ready to bang down low!

It was meant to whet your appetite. I guess you are not impressed. :wink2:

cwamjn

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
I'd be impressed with a video of him throwing down 1440 windmill jams, and blocking shots of and boxing out Junior high kids that paid for his basketball camp.

CardsSunsDbacks

Not So Skeptical
Reaction score
Good god guys...

Ayton being able to make threes is a good thing. Still doesn't mean that he will be out there a majority of the time, but the offense will only be more potent when teams have to both follow him out when he pops and in when he rolls. This will only help to free up other players even more.

Superbone

Phoenix native; Lifelong Suns Fan
Reaction score
But seriously, another Sun stationed 23 feet from the basket, throwing up low percentage bombs?

Boring! And certainly not dominant.
But don't you think he should work on all facets of the game? Do you not think there are times to mix it up and spread the floor? Have you watched Embiid? I think he mixes it up pretty well. Yes, I agree the majority of the time he should be protecting the paint and inside but there are times and places for some versatility.

I can understand how you'd want to perfect one thing first but these guys live and breathe basketball. They need to work on all facets of the game. Every tool helps.

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Good god guys...

Ayton being able to make threes is a good thing. Still doesn't mean that he will be out there a majority of the time, but the offense will only be more potent when teams have to both follow him out when he pops and in when he rolls. This will only help to free up other players even more.

You would think watching Baynes drill 3's would bring more people around on Ayton mimicking him.

CardsSunsDbacks

Not So Skeptical
Reaction score
You would think watching Baynes drill 3's would bring more people around on Ayton mimicking him.
Our offense has been far more effective with him out there than Frank for instance. Obviously he sets great screens, but he is also a much more consistent shooter and that causes nightmares for the opposing defense.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
PicksFromDave