Who are some DCs that you would aim for 2020?

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
Gray and Zimmer are 4-3 guys -- yes?

Kris Richard is a Pete Carrol protégé, might be available when Garret is canned -- although Jerry might go with HC Lincoln Riley for the offensive staff with the defensive staff retained
Yes, both are 4-3 base guys. I said it in another thread...we shouldn't get hung up on the 4-3 vs 3-4 base scheme at this point. Lots of talent needs to be added regardless.

KYCardFan

Veteran
Reaction score
Brad White DC from Kentucky former LB coach for Colts.

Coached Mathis and Freeney at Indy, Josh Allen at UK, replaced 3 NFL starters this year and had the 15th best defense in country, 4th best pass defense.

This guy knows defense

Last edited:

b8rtm8nn

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
whoever we pick, it is important that they can build a defensive staff. I think this is a failing of Vance Joseph, not many high quality coaches, not tons of experience; Kliff did a much better job on the offensive side.

I feel someone like Bettcher needs a good supporting cast around him, and if he doesn't have it, won't succeed.

NYCARDS

Registered
Reaction score
Good chance Bettcher will be available as Schurmur will be fired by Giants.

Cardsfaninlouky

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
NFL or College.

Jimmy Lake from the Washington Huskies would be my favorite. Was a former DB coach who consistently sent DBs to the NFL & has manned the DC spot the past couple of years with great results. He knows how to adapt & is great at stopping the pass.
He's sent us at least 2 of our DB's. He does prepare them well. Does he have NFL experience? That would be a big topic if we were considering him. The HC at Washington just resigned leaving the DC as the interim HC. He would more than likely get the DC position if the interim HC is hired permanently? The DL coach for the 49ers played ball with KK at TT, I would think he would get brought up by KK about our DC job if he gets any input? Oops, upon reading further, I had to add this, I had it wrong. JL was the DC instead of being the DB coach with the Huskies. Well.........if he doesn't retain the HC job there, maybe he would be an option in Arizona?

Last edited:

Cardsfaninlouky

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
I wouldn't mind this. Love his defenses.

Vic Fangio might get the axe after one year in Denver. I'd throw a buttload of money at him.
Fangio will get another yr. Why? Imo, because Drew Lock just got his first start with the Broncos. They will let him have a full season with the possible QBOTF to see how it goes. JMO.

Cardsfaninlouky

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Great Thread.

Not in any particular order
James Bettcher
Wade Phillips
Rod Marinelli
Ron Rivera
Todd Walsh
Jimmy Lake
Marvin Lewis
Rex Ryan
Raheem Morris
No way I want Rex Ryan. He would divide the locker room imo. Pit the defense against the offense. He already runs his mouth about KK & pretty boy football. He didn't call it that but he's made comments of that nature. He only wants to be a HC imo.

Cardsfaninlouky

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Always been a fan of Venables. He has built National Championship defenses at OU and CLEM, I hoped Kingsbury would have made a pitch to make jump to NFL with him but he has it made at CLEM, it would take a miracle to land him.
That would be a good choice imo. They pay him HC type money right now to be the DC at Clemson. It's been said "unless he gets the right HC offer in college, he's staying put"? That may change if he got offered a DC position in the NFL?

HGC

All Star
Reaction score
That would be a good choice imo. They pay him HC type money right now to be the DC at Clemson. It's been said "unless he gets the right HC offer in college, he's staying put"? That may change if he got offered a DC position in the NFL?

Not a chance in hell of that happening.

Reaction score
Always been a fan of Venables. He has built National Championship defenses at OU and CLEM, I hoped Kingsbury would have made a pitch to make jump to NFL with him but he has it made at CLEM, it would take a miracle to land him.

What about the VT guy?

blindseyed

I'm saying you ARE stuck in Wichita
Reaction score
I saw Keim out at the last Buckeye Hawks high school game talking to the DB coach, KEIM TIME

The Kraken

Veteran
Reaction score
The intriguing question to me is, are we still tied to being a 3-4 team?

Our transition to a 4-3 base last year was a disaster, we chalked it up to trying to force 3-4 personnel into that scheme...but with a lot of those guys moving on and our dreadful performance on the field, is that still the case?

To be frank, the front 7 as a unit stink in any base configuration, we need a complete overhaul on the entire defense and I wonder if we could enlarge the DC candidate pool by being open to change...

overseascardfan

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
What about the VT guy?
Bud Foster has been at VT for over 30 years, not sure if he is willing to make the jump at this point of his life, he’s 60 years old. VT has produced a lot of defensive talent during Foster’s tenure.

Our transition to a 4-3 base last year was a disaster, we chalked it up to trying to force 3-4 personnel into that scheme...but with a lot of those guys moving on and our dreadful performance on the field, is that still the case?

To be frank, the front 7 as a unit stink in any base configuration, we need a complete overhaul on the entire defense and I wonder if we could enlarge the DC candidate pool by being open to change...
The problem with changing the defensive scheme is not the DC but the guy trying to fit square pieces in round holes with his drafting and FA signings. Need to get rid of Keim or this won’t change.

The Kraken

Veteran
Reaction score
Bud Foster has been at VT for over 30 years, not sure if he is willing to make the jump at this point of his life, he’s 60 years old. VT has produced a lot of defensive talent during Foster’s tenure.

The problem with changing the defensive scheme is not the DC but the guy trying to fit square pieces in round holes with his drafting and FA signings. Need to get rid of Keim or this won’t change.
Totally agree, but our pieces are getting to be irrelevant, Peters, CJ, and Hicks could play in either scheme and those are the only ones I would be concerned about retaining...

But you are correct, and while I think SK had a good draft this year, the last few have been dreadful and speak volumes to the lack of production on the field and depth on the bench.

In a perfect world, we move on from both SK and VJ... I would love to give one of SK's understudies a shot (not sure if a legit GM would be cool with a coach that wasn't "his guy")...

Bkbobo

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
If Matt Patricia is let go at the end of the season, is that someone we should consider? His stint of a head coach was terrible, but had good squads in New England.

football karma

Happy in the pretense of knowledge
Reaction score

a theoretical question:

Chandler Jones is the one impact player on D, and he is most productive as a 3/4 OLB.

Is that enough to stick with the 3/4?

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
PicksFromDave