The Lane Johnson contract extension.

Cardsfaninlouky

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
This dude just signed a 4 yr 72 million dollar extension with the Eagles. He now owns the highest contract ever by an OL annually & guaranteed money. He's 29 yrs old, been a pro bowler twice & has played 10 games this season. He's either currently in concussion protocol or just coming out of it? I only bring up his contract because of D.J Humphries. Imo we should resign him, but at what price? Lane Johnson money? He's been healthy all season & has played well for the most part, minus all the holding penalties lol. Think He's either tied in that category or right near the top? He's younger, probably 25-26 would be my guess? If his asking price is that type of money.........? That's a big cap number. May be able to get Andrew Thomas cheaper if he falls to us in the 2020 draft & let Humphries walk if he's asking for that much? The flip side of that imo is this. We let him walk, Thomas falls to us (highly unlikely he falls that far) we draft him, now we save money on a rookie deal, but we more than likely miss out on a defensive difference maker in the draft we desperately need. I guess the draft needs depend on what we do in FA a month prior to the draft.

Last edited:

Finito

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
DJ is an above average LT and those guys are really hard to come by. Remember this ain’t back in the day OT don’t just step right in and dominate like they used to. They’ve gone from being the safest picks in the draft To being the biggest gamble.

Pay DJ.

Jetstream Green

Kool Aid with a touch of vodka
Reaction score
DJ is an above average LT and those guys are really hard to come by. Remember this ain’t back in the day OT don’t just step right in and dominate like they used to. They’ve gone from being the safest picks in the draft To being the biggest gamble.

Pay DJ.

"That's a bingo"... but seriously, you are right they do not become available now and best to extend him while preserving some consistency which is all important on a OL and some insurance if you are still looking for the draft :raccoon:

Finito

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
DJ is way too injured and average to get paid like that. Lane is widely considered a top OT.

DJ might get something like Donovan Smith from TB. Otherwise, you tag him and make him prove it again in 2020.

lane is a lot like DJ he’s above average but if I’m not mistaken he’s a RT not a LT. You don’t draft a guy in the top 5 to play right tackle. He struggled at LT before being moved to RT.

Dr. Jones

Has No Time For Love
Reaction score
And this is why waiting costs you more money. Even with zero pro-bowls, DJ will get very close to this number. If not above it slightly.

GatorAZ

feed hopkins
Reaction score
And this is why waiting costs you more money. Even with zero pro-bowls, DJ will get very close to this number. If not above it slightly.

He *waited to stay healthy so there’s really no blame for the Cards not to have done anything. If Keim has learned anything it’s not to throw out huge deals based on one full year of legitimate production.

Finito

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
He *waited to stay healthy so there’s really no blame for the Cards not to have done anything. If Keim has learned anything it’s not to throw out huge deals based on one full year of legitimate production.

yeah cause it was DJ’s fault his leg got rolled up on from the back last year. Come on now.

Solar7

Go Suns
Reaction score
Hoping Andrew Thomas falls to us isn't exactly a proactive strategy. What do you do at the position if he doesn't? Horribly reach for the next OT just because you now absolutely have to?

Keep in mind, we need two OTs this offseason.

Timm Rosenbach

Bye Bye DJ
Reaction score
Hoping Andrew Thomas falls to us isn't exactly a proactive strategy. What do you do at the position if he doesn't? Horribly reach for the next OT just because you now absolutely have to?

Remember hoping Joe Thomas would fall to us and then reaching for Levi Brown? Never let that happen again. Keep DJ

BigRedRage

Reckless
Supporting Member
Reaction score
You don't let him go unless you have a sure fire improvement ready to go. Hoping someone falls to you in the draft is bad management

Sent from my moto g(7) using Tapatalk

SoCal Cardfan

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
I'm on the fence with DJ, He has been fairly solid..But it seems like at least twice a game, he puts us at first and 20...It's probably not that many...But he is the O-lineman I hear getting called for false start, or holding most regularly.

TheCardFan

Things have changed.
Reaction score
And this is why waiting costs you more money. Even with zero pro-bowls, DJ will get very close to this number. If not above it

Based on what? Lane Johnson was a top 5 pick, 2 time pro bowler, and one of the top OT's in the NFL. Yes he plays RT vs LT (DJ) but the talent level is much different. Take a look at the Donovan Smith contract...similar age and talent level.

You cant pay DJ elite money...period.

Frank The Fixer

Veteran
Reaction score
Based on what? Lane Johnson was a top 5 pick, 2 time pro bowler, and one of the top OT's in the NFL. Yes he plays RT vs LT (DJ) but the talent level is much different. Take a look at the Donovan Smith contract...similar age and talent level.

You cant pay DJ elite money...period.

DJ is young and it’s a position of need for many teams. It only takes one GM to feel DJ is the man.

Last edited:

Lagerfilled

Professional Tailgater
Reaction score
I think 4 yrs $52-56mm total value with $30-35mm guaranteed will lock up DJ for his prime years. It will look like a bargain down the road and maintains continuity while K1 is still in his rookie deal.

Frank The Fixer

Veteran
Reaction score

You start by not allowing your 25 year old starting left tackle leave via free agency because you don’t want to pay him.

TheCardFan

Things have changed.
Reaction score
You start by not allowing your 25 year old starting left tackle leave via free agency because you don’t want to pay him.

You don't want to pay a guy that hasn't proven he can stay healthy and is average at best. A 3 year prove it deal is more likely for DJ or the Ftag (to make him prove he can stay healthy another year). As long as he can stay healthy the rest of this year...you can't let him go but you also can't pay him elite money.

Mar 5, 2019- The Buccaneers and left tackle Donovan Smith agreed to a three-year deal, the team announced. NFL Network's Mike Garafolo reports Smith's contract is worth $41.25 million with $27 million fully guaranteed.

Donovan is also young (26) but the difference is he has stayed healthy and never missed a game in his 5 year career.

Since joining the Buccaneers as a second-round pick in the 2015 NFL Draft, Smith has become a mainstay on the offensive line. He has appeared and started in every game over the past four seasons, and is a big reason why the Buccaneers have enjoyed success on offense.

JeffGollin

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I'm on the fence with DJ, He has been fairly solid..But it seems like at least twice a game, he puts us at first and 20...It's probably not that many...But he is the O-lineman I hear getting called for false start, or holding most regularly.
Sign him; then yawn.

overseascardfan

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Respectfully, I am glad none of you are the GM. Some of you are talking about paying Humphries top tier LT money for a guy who has to play 3 more games before he can claim his first full 16 game season played in 5 years with a current PFF grade of 61 which falls in backup level range, that's insane.

The whole rationale that he is young and improving is bunk, he is nowhere a Pro Bowl caliber player deserving of $15M+ a year. If some team is dumb enough to pay him that kind of money they deserve the cap hell and crappy play that will come with it. Some of you will cite that other teams are paying guys like Donovan Smith that kind of money but is that really a justification? You jump off the bridge with everyone else?

I don't sign him long term if I am ARZ unless he is taking a team friendly deal or willing to go back to RT. If ARZ franchises him that will take away from necessary funds to bring in FA talent to build this team up. If we can get impact defensive FA's in addition to tagging Humphries then fine but I would consider a transition tag not a franchise tag and find out what the market is for him.

What I would do is take BPA with our first pick and trade back into first round to take Austin Jackson. Austin Jackson I feel is a guy that can turn into the top LT in this draft class with the amount of talent and measureables he possesses. By taking Jackson, you have your LTOF to pair with your QBOTF on the cheap so you can afford other pieces you need like a pass rusher, ILB or CB in FA.

DVontel

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Respectfully, I am glad none of you are the GM. Some of you are talking about paying Humphries top tier LT money for a guy who has to play 3 more games before he can claim his first full 16 game season played in 5 years with a current PFF grade of 61 which falls in backup level range, that's insane.

The whole rationale that he is young and improving is bunk, he is nowhere a Pro Bowl caliber player deserving of $15M+ a year. If some team is dumb enough to pay him that kind of money they deserve the cap hell and crappy play that will come with it. Some of you will cite that other teams are paying guys like Donovan Smith that kind of money but is that really a justification? You jump off the bridge with everyone else?

I don't sign him long term if I am ARZ unless he is taking a team friendly deal or willing to go back to RT. If ARZ franchises him that will take away from necessary funds to bring in FA talent to build this team up. If we can get impact defensive FA's in addition to tagging Humphries then fine but I would consider a transition tag not a franchise tag and find out what the market is for him.

What I would do is take BPA with our first pick and trade back into first round to take Austin Jackson. Austin Jackson I feel is a guy that can turn into the top LT in this draft class with the amount of talent and measureables he possesses. By taking Jackson, you have your LTOF to pair with your QBOTF on the cheap so you can afford other pieces you need like a pass rusher, ILB or CB in FA.
Austin Jackson is more raw than DJ was coming out. Would be frustrated if we took him, let alone trading up for him.

DVontel

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Even DJ knows he’s not getting top tier LT money.

Solar7

Go Suns
Reaction score
You don't want to pay a guy that hasn't proven he can stay healthy and is average at best. A 3 year prove it deal is more likely for DJ or the Ftag (to make him prove he can stay healthy another year). As long as he can stay healthy the rest of this year...you can't let him go but you also can't pay him elite money.

Mar 5, 2019- The Buccaneers and left tackle Donovan Smith agreed to a three-year deal, the team announced. NFL Network's Mike Garafolo reports Smith's contract is worth $41.25 million with $27 million fully guaranteed.

Donovan is also young (26) but the difference is he has stayed healthy and never missed a game in his 5 year career.

Since joining the Buccaneers as a second-round pick in the 2015 NFL Draft, Smith has become a mainstay on the offensive line. He has appeared and started in every game over the past four seasons, and is a big reason why the Buccaneers have enjoyed success on offense.

This applies to both of you overall. So why not franchise him? Keep him as a backup plan with the hope we're going to get an OT that we can groom into the starting LT.

If you don't do this, I don't know what you two are proposing we do at the position. Wait and hope? What happens when other teams value those guys more than where we're positioned to take them? Do we really want a rookie OT protecting our QBotF? What are we proposing we do at RT?

I can't imagine sitting there, April 26th, looking at either having passed up on a true elite talent for a poor OT, or looking at having no OT, wondering who in the heck we can trade for or sign off the street.

The Cardinals had a decent solution to this problem when Cody Ford, Jawaan Taylor, and Greg Little were staring us in the face at the beginning of round 2, but we didn't pull the trigger and instead took a nickel CB.