Mavericks @ Suns Friday game thread 11-29-19

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
On Friday the Suns play the Mavericks at Talking Stick Resort Arena in Phoenix.

The Suns have fallen to 8-9 while the Mavericks come in with a 11-6 record.

Game time is scheduled for 7 p.m. MST (Arizona time).

It will be televised on FSAZ.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Some good news. Aron Baynes is listed as probable for the Mavericks game.

Ty Jerome is listed as out.

Gina Mizell‏Verified account @ginamizell

#Suns listing Aron Baynes (hip flexor) as probable to play tomorrow vs. Dallas. Ricky Rubio (back spasms) is also listed as probable, even though he played last night vs. Washington. Ty Jerome (sprained ankle), who played one half for NAZ earlier this week, is listed as OUT.

3:11 PM - 28 Nov 2019

BC867

Long time Phoenician!
Reaction score
Some good news. Aron Baynes is listed as probable for the Mavericks game.

Ty Jerome is listed as out.

Gina Mizell‏Verified account @ginamizell

#Suns listing Aron Baynes (hip flexor) as probable to play tomorrow vs. Dallas. Ricky Rubio (back spasms) is also listed as probable, even though he played last night vs. Washington. Ty Jerome (sprained ankle), who played one half for NAZ earlier this week, is listed as OUT.

3:11 PM - 28 Nov 2019
I'll be celebrating Thanksgiving at my older son, daughter-in--law and grandson's on Friday,
so I'll probably miss the return of Baynes. And a triple-double from Luca.

We will be at a disadvantage. Baynes first game back and Rubio still fighting back spasms.

BC867

Long time Phoenician!
Reaction score
You'll be celebrating Thanksgiving at my older son, daughter-in-law and grandson's?

Ah, I look forward to meeting you, Chap. We'll save a drumstick for you. :)

Happy Thanksgiving to you and all.

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
You'll be celebrating Thanksgiving at my older son, daughter-in-law and grandson's?

Ah, I look forward to meeting you, Chap. We'll save a drumstick for you. :)

Happy Thanksgiving to you and all.
Hmm I didn’t quote you BC, but hope you had a great thanksgiving anyway!

I’m actually here in Phoenix right now literally at my hotel across the street from the arena.

Bufalay

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
This game is the leading candidate for the annual "Ok, I'm going to cancel League Pass" game.

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I would love nothing more than to see Baynes take Luka off of his feet on a hard screen. I'm not sure how some people on the board would respond to that, if it happens. Baynes has quickly become a favorite Sun and Luka is a lot of poster's favorite player that isn't a Sun.

mjb21aztd

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Go suns

Hope they atleast keep it competitive....

Also hope baynes helps the def was embarrassing to give up 140 freaking pts to wizards....

Raze

Suns fan since '89
Reaction score
I would love nothing more than to see Baynes take Luka off of his feet on a hard screen. I'm not sure how some people on the board would respond to that, if it happens. Baynes has quickly become a favorite Sun and Luka is a lot of poster's favorite player that isn't a Sun.
This might be the most understated aspect of what he offers to this team: Baynes lays the wood.

Since he's been gone, I've noticed we take less charges and commit less hard fouls. Good basketball has an underappreciated aspect of "punishment in the paint". Baynes offers that and this team has sorely missed it. When you come into our paint, with Baynes, you will pay (either by committing a charge or by taking an elbow to the throat). Smaller, weaker players are going to naturally become less aggressive attacking the basket when this occurs. This day and age is full of weak players who don't know what to do when they get punched in the mouth. This gives us a tremendous advantage.

On top of that Baynes offers some old school aspects:

He takes charges.
He's masterful at screens.
He sends messages with his physicality.
He annoys opposing players and gets in their head.
He energizes teammates (and fans).
He gives wing defenders confidence to work hard and stay aggressive because he has their backs.

Throw in the "new school" aspect that he hits three's and you have a "glue player" that does all the little things to help you win.

One other addition of note on Baynes. My wife hates the NBA. (Partly because of the fixed Spurs/Suns Game 3 atrocity in 2007, and partly because it's full of a bunch of whiny wusses.) This year, before Baynes got hurt, she was glued to the set. I've never seen her this interested in basketball. My guess is that she will watch tonight with renewed interest. It got me thinking; I wonder how many other people are turned off because of the lack of physicality in today's game.

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It looks like Baynes will start but be limited to about 20 minutes.

Kellan Olson‏Verified account @KellanOlson

Monty said Baynes will play tonight in a limited role. Roughly 20 minutes.

4:17 PM - 29 Nov 2019

1st and 4th quarters, hopefully. It would be nice if they could run up the score so Diallo gets a lot of burn in garbage time and Baynes doesn't need to re-enter the game in the 2nd half.

Has there been a player who had a minute restriction this season? I'm curious how strict Monty is with those. I know it's more than Monty involved in setting those and carrying them out but ultimately he's the head coach and if something goes wrong, it falls on him.

I can't remember who it was, might have been Embiid, but someone had a minute restriction a couple seasons back that their team stuck to, almost to a fault. They lost a couple of games because they made sure that player didn't exceed that restriction. At this point in the season, I don't want to see the Suns go over whatever Baynes is limited to but at the same time, if he hits it and there are 3 minutes to go, keep him in if he feels like he can handle it.

Dr dumas

Veteran
Reaction score
Book and Rubio gone, only Dario practicing midrange now.
How does his mid range shot look? I only see him taking shots like 5 feet from the basket. His shot is so slow, but he’s certainly been effective around the paint.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
How does his mid range shot look? I only see him taking shots like 5 feet from the basket. His shot is so slow, but he’s certainly been effective around the paint.
He’s shot well from 15 feet the last few games.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
1st and 4th quarters, hopefully. It would be nice if they could run up the score so Diallo gets a lot of burn in garbage time and Baynes doesn't need to re-enter the game in the 2nd half.

Has there been a player who had a minute restriction this season? I'm curious how strict Monty is with those. I know it's more than Monty involved in setting those and carrying them out but ultimately he's the head coach and if something goes wrong, it falls on him.

I can't remember who it was, might have been Embiid, but someone had a minute restriction a couple seasons back that their team stuck to, almost to a fault. They lost a couple of games because they made sure that player didn't exceed that restriction. At this point in the season, I don't want to see the Suns go over whatever Baynes is limited to but at the same time, if he hits it and there are 3 minutes to go, keep him in if he feels like he can handle it.

This sounds about right. Hopefully with Baynes the Suns start to play bigger and more aggressive, something they have missed especially on defense.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
G-PA