Patrick Peterson “always up for contract negotiations”

BullheadCardFan

Go for it
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Patrick Peterson “always up for contract negotiations”

There have been mixed messages from cornerback Patrick Peterson at points about his desire to remain with the Cardinals for the long term and his name has frequently come up as a potential trade target as a result.

The Cardinals have resisted any overtures, however, and the word from the team has been that they’d like Peterson to remain in Arizona for his entire career. On Thursday, Peterson sounded amenable to such a development.

Peterson said “the future for us is definitely bright” as long as the Cardinals keep the core of the team in place. Peterson is part of that core and his contract is up after next season, but there haven’t been any conversations about a new deal at this point.

“I mean, I’m always up for contract negotiations,” Peterson said, via AZCentral.com. “But no talks have happened just yet. I’m just looking forward to finishing the season off strong.”

Peterson said he’ll “make sure I’m playing the best football that I can so those talks can happen and I can get what I deserve” whenever contract talks do get underway.

Well, do we extend him or trade him?

Frank The Fixer

Veteran
Reaction score

I’m good with this. I believe he’s declining but he’s better than anybody they could replace him with in the off-season other than striking gold in the draft or paying a heavy price via trade or free agency. My expectations were low this season and I was fine with that considering the changes but next year I want 8 wins or I’ll be joining the dark siders.

Southpaw

Provocateur aka Wallyburger
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The Cowboys secondary blows. Send him there. He can play soft for them.

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
I’d trade Peterson for 2nd. Perfectly fine with it.
As long as we add a high level CB in free agency I can stomach this.

Ultimately, my preference would be to keep Peterson, but I am beginning to add conditions to that preference. If you told me we could extend him for 4 years and 44 mil, an easy out in the last year, and his willingness to play FS as he ages...I am still good with that.

Chris_Sanders

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
My first preference is a three year extension and a defense that actually plays to the strengths of our team.

dscher

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
We always sell low..so now a trade opp looks extremely blah.. another indictment towards keim imo. But, in a perfect world we would get a very team friendly contract with him and his declining skills and then hope we could find his successor in a future draft. If not, see ya. Jmo

Jetstream Green

Kool Aid with a touch of vodka
Reaction score

Ultimately, my preference would be to keep Peterson, but I am beginning to add conditions to that preference. If you told me we could extend him for 4 years and 44 mil, an easy out in the last year, and his willingness to play FS as he ages...I am still good with that.

My sentiments exactly!

wit3card

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
we should have traded him before he played piss pour in 3 of his 5 last outings.

Now he can play as good as he wants the right decision now is, or to lowball him and pay him average CB money or to don't pay him and wait how he performs next year.

Maybe trade him next year, who knows, if we would do it the Patriots way, we would trade him in the offseason for a #1 or a player + 2nd

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
It depends on the plan for the defense going forward. Peterson is wasted in a heavy zone scheme
I slightly disagree with this. I do believe that he is wasted in a soft zone scheme, but Peterson already plays man in a zone style. He reads the QB most of the way and then moves off his player if he reads the QB is throwing to another player.

Some of this is how we play zone. San Francisco plays mostly zone, but players seem to always be around the ball. That is because of how they are taught to read route combinations and close on players heading into their zone quickly. This eliminates the space in the coverage which can make them easier to exploit.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score

you know all the bold is fantasy, right Chopper?

mjb21aztd

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Hmmmm tough decision i would have to say see what trade markets is than if it isn't good tag him...

Peterson just got back from suspension hopefully he starts playing like his reg self in next few gms

Just seems like he lost his speed for whatever reason:(

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
you know all the bold is fantasy, right Chopper?
It could be. I feel confident that this could be sold to Peterson if you framed his career to Charles Woodson's. I think if you tell him he will be making 11+ mil per yer until he is 34, he will be interested in the idea. You can point to Aquib Talib for reference. NFL players want their ego's stroked and guy like Peterson is always worried about his legacy. If the switch is on his terms and he knows he has somewhere to go once he sees what the film shows what others can see...I think he does it.

Like I said, my preference is to keep him around but I am starting to have conditions if that is the case. If Peterson wants 18 mil per year for the next 4 years, I am good with trying to trade him.

My point is that we are going to have to look at adding a S regardless and 11 is not a bad market rate for one.

Dingding

Veteran
Reaction score
Peterson knows his value can only go down further. It will take time for the defense to be rebuilt. Maybe a new coach, and time for rookies to mature.

Next year will simply confirm (or be worse than) this year. He won't have elite players covering up for any flaws or mistakes. The D coaching is still raw. He also continues to get older.

He will hold out this off season. Demand a trade to a team with an elite D where he can flash in the pan for one last contract, or an immediate extension (no tag) from the Cardinals.

I don't see any loyalty in the comments he makes. This is 100% what I see happening.