Kyler Murray

Frank The Fixer

Veteran
Reaction score
How do we know Dan Campbell isn’t just a product of the offensive genius of Sean Payton or HOFer Drew Brees? Same with Eric Bienemy with Andy Reid & Patrick Mahomes? I think it’s obvious to the consensus now that McCarthy was a product of Rodgers. The fact that he was only able to lead a team with one of the best talents to ever play the QB position to just one SB with it being in spite of him is just....sad. Yea, you’re probably going to say “well that’s still 1 more SB than our franchise history” but we also never had one of the greatest talents to ever play QB(until now, ha).

Some NFL experience is not good NFL experience. Evident by Mike McCoy or a Hue Jackson. I liked the Kliff hire because it was out of the box & not the same good ole boys league type of hire.

McCarthy and Bienimy declined to interview for the position so that leaves Dan Campbell from his list.

BigRedRage

Reckless
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I like Murray, I like KK a lot too. VJ I dont hate, he seems like a good dude and very smart. I am hoping it is personnel vs it being him as the problem on D. I dont have the patience to be unhappy with everyone already in year one.

gimpy

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
It appears to me, although not ever have been a business person, that there are at least 2 levels of management above the coach-owner and gm.

Which of these three levels can randomly fire someone on the spot, if he doesn't like or want them?

I don't know. Just curious.

JeffGollin

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
There are roughly a half-dozen multi-talented QB's forcing opposing DC's to rethink the QB position and how it's played.

K Murray is one of them.

With QB's who have KM's skill set, along with injuries etc., you just never know. But it sure looks like we've got a keeper.

At the very least, he's fun to watch and could turn out to be very much more.

Cardsfaninlouky

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Eh..Baylor is one of the best teams in the country this year and they won just 1 game a couple of years ago. Tech had just as much or more talent.

I disagree with you a lot, but also get your perspective.

Because the unforunate reality is Kliff was such an off the wall hire that expectations were going to be higher maybe unfair. His offense was supposed to be so ahead of the game that it could cover for other areas. Overall we've been pretty good on offense and terrible on defense. He's working with a hand tied behind his back with Keim, but then again he's never hired without him.

I think Kliff has been solid since the first month of the season. However, he's gotta be held accountable for that because he didn't prepare the offense with preseason. Cardinals defense was on the field too long against the Lions, offense didn't score enough in the redzone against the Ravens (held them to 23!), Seahawks dismantled our offense, etc.

Pick up a couple wins to start the season and who knows how that momentum carries on later in the season. Maybe Kliff has more confidence to tell Vance when and when not to be aggressive. Maybe he's not overthinking and calling a timeout against the 49ers, or afraid to put the game away.

Its such a slim margin in winning and losing in this league. Could very well have lost to the Bengals, Giants and Falcons. Could have very well beat the 49ers twice and Ravens.

Here's hoping Kliff improves his situational coaching. Here's hoping Keim improves as a GM. Here's hoping Kyler can get better at redzone execution/not taking negative plays.

Right now I think Keim (Kliff to a lesser degree) just banking on Kyler being a superstar and overcoming the issues.

For all three sake I'm hoping that comes true. The good thing is we now have evidence that performance wise he's shown the signs that he can be.
I can't think of one single TT team coached by KK that had any defensive talent. Baylor always rebounds because they have a pretty decent football history going all the way back to the Mike Singletary days, TT........? Not so much. Mike Leach teams there had bad to decent defenses. KK got offensive talent because guys wanted to play in that explosive offense, no one good on the defensive side of the ball had any desire to play there lol. So he had to try & outscore teams, didn't show in the win column but it did in the NCAA points scored column.

slanidrac16

ASFN Icon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Early in the year many were stating how the. Rest of the league would figure out Kliff and Kyler once teams had some tape on them.

guess what? It’s been just the opposite. This offense is only going to get better. We’ve had games where we dominated the run and some where we didn’t depend on it as much.

obviously the thing we need to clean up is red zone. That will come.

Solar7

Go Suns
Reaction score
How do we know Dan Campbell isn’t just a product of the offensive genius of Sean Payton or HOFer Drew Brees? Same with Eric Bienemy with Andy Reid & Patrick Mahomes? I think it’s obvious to the consensus now that McCarthy was a product of Rodgers. The fact that he was only able to lead a team with one of the best talents to ever play the QB position to just one SB with it being in spite of him is just....sad. Yea, you’re probably going to say “well that’s still 1 more SB than our franchise history” but we also never had one of the greatest talents to ever play QB(until now, ha).

Some NFL experience is not good NFL experience. Evident by Mike McCoy or a Hue Jackson. I liked the Kliff hire because it was out of the box & not the same good ole boys league type of hire.

Valid questions! I like Dan Campbell's experience as both a player and coach. I think he'll eventually find himself a decent spot in this league, especially having had interim duties for a bit. I wouldn't have been looking for a replica of Payton/Brees. He's been exposed to a lot in the NFL. Of the guys we actually got to interview, he's the most intriguing, in my mind.

Bienemy: Great coaching tree, turned us down, pretty sad. Who knows? Just like Amber didn't take me up on my invite to prom, we'll never see what it could have been. Is that Keim, or...?

McCarthy: Wherever Larissa is, she had already graduated high school, but would have been an alright prom date. Sure, she did it before, but why not again? If McCarthy had the energy to do it, there's nothing to make me think he wouldn't be a steadying hand on a franchise in flux.

You're totally right that not all NFL experience is good experience, but McCoy and Hue Jackson both had really bad runs in the past before their multiple chances. And I'd still maybe look at Hue as an OC.

Solar7

Go Suns
Reaction score
he wasn't picking AZ over Aaron Rogers and the Packers
Well, we didn't even request an interview... @DVontel was asking me who I would have preferred. I agree that he wasn't picking us, but it's the same kind of problem we're going to have if we fire Keim this offseason.
McCarthy and Bienimy declined to interview for the position so that leaves Dan Campbell from his list.
I only brought them up because Keim at least made an attempt to interview them. Since DV asked me who I would have preferred, well, there were two guys in front of us that I would have liked. For whatever reason, they deemed the franchise to not be worth their time or a promotion.

ReasonableMan

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
I like Kliff a lot. This defense blows but is it Vance? Idk he doesn’t elevate the team but what is there to elevate other than Chandler Jones?

SoonerLou

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Kyler now up to #7 in QBR 62.9 (Brees average game helped)

However, just barely ahead of Wentz/Cousins.

This week counld determine the ranking. Matt Stafford is a solid 6 points ahead of him. Stafford missing time has helped keep in that slot.

Kyler would really have to play well the next couple of weeks to get close to 70

Thats where you find the Watson, Mahomes, Russell Wilson, located at.

schutd

ASFN Addict
Reaction score

Total conjecture on my part, but if the organization wanted KK as an OC, to groom into a HC, but saw a commodity in him that would have prevented them from keeping him around (you cant hire a HC and an OC, and then fire the HC because someone else wants your new OC as their HC), they took the extremely aggressive and out-of-box approach of hiring a guy for HC, knowing he wasnt really ready for it, and then hiring people around him to ease the transition as he gains experience. You can argue outcome all you want, but at not even a full season in, and under that assumption be able to extrapolate that this hire was a long game gamble, I can totally get behind the idea of what they've done. Right now, I believe KK will get there. Im a fan of both the pick and the hire.

Theres PLENTY of other stuff to lambast Keim for, but for me, the coach QB off season is not one of them.

GatorAZ

feed hopkins
Reaction score
Kyler now up to #7 in QBR 62.9 (Brees average game helped)

However, just barely ahead of Wentz/Cousins.

This week counld determine the ranking. Matt Stafford is a solid 6 points ahead of him. Stafford missing time has helped keep in that slot.

Kyler would really have to play well the next couple of weeks to get close to 70

Thats where you find the Watson, Mahomes, Russell Wilson, located at.

Fun tool when it favors one of your players but those guys are completing passes down the field with regularity. That’s not a shot at Kyler more so the stat in general. KM will get there.

SoonerLou

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Fun tool when it favors one of your players but those guys are completing passes down the field with regularity. That’s not a shot at Kyler more so the stat in general. KM will get there.
Nah I've always been a fan of that system.

I agree the top guys are throwing down the field more.

Mahomes and Watson have top tier weapons on the outside. Lamar's got maybe the best Oline in the league. Russ...is an enigma...he just always plays great no matter what.

Before the Bucs game Kirk was averaging below 10 yards a catch. I'm not sure we a true speed outside of Isabella (and he's still a project right now)

Reaction score
http://www.nfl.com/photoessays/0ap3...-stats-compelling-figures-for-top-nfl-rookies

Arizona's sensational dual-threat
Kyler Murray's rare combination of speed and arm talent has helped the Cardinals' air raid offense become one of the most explosive attacks in the NFL. It was difficult to pick which Next Gen Stat to highlight for Murray, so here's a sampling:

-- Pressured on 12.6 percent of dropbacks (lowest rate in NFL)
-- Evades pressure on 28.6 percent of dropbacks when hurried (highest in NFL)
-- 748 deep passing yards (third-most in NFL)
-- 46 rushes reaching 15-plus mph (third-most in NFL)
-- 8 dime completions (tied for fifth most in NFL); a dime is a completion of 30-plus air yards into a tight window

Murray has struggled against the blitz (59.8 passer rating, second-lowest in NFL) and has been sacked 35 times (second-most in NFL), so it hasn't all been pretty. But the future is looking bright in Arizona with Murray leading the way.

CardsSunsDbacks

Not So Skeptical
Reaction score
http://www.nfl.com/photoessays/0ap3...-stats-compelling-figures-for-top-nfl-rookies

Arizona's sensational dual-threat
Kyler Murray's rare combination of speed and arm talent has helped the Cardinals' air raid offense become one of the most explosive attacks in the NFL. It was difficult to pick which Next Gen Stat to highlight for Murray, so here's a sampling:

-- Pressured on 12.6 percent of dropbacks (lowest rate in NFL)
-- Evades pressure on 28.6 percent of dropbacks when hurried (highest in NFL)
-- 748 deep passing yards (third-most in NFL)
-- 46 rushes reaching 15-plus mph (third-most in NFL)
-- 8 dime completions (tied for fifth most in NFL); a dime is a completion of 30-plus air yards into a tight window

Murray has struggled against the blitz (59.8 passer rating, second-lowest in NFL) and has been sacked 35 times (second-most in NFL), so it hasn't all been pretty. But the future is looking bright in Arizona with Murray leading the way.
Wait, I thought he doesn't ever push the ball down the field?!?..

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Beagleperson