The Telltale Indicator

Harry

ASFN Consultant and Senior Writer
Reaction score
We’ve been kicking around Joseph’s liability for the defensive failures the Cards have experienced. Certainly he bears some responsibility. I’ve been saying the mostly weak personnel is a larger part of the cause. I was watching the Eagles complete a pass to their tight end for a short gain. It occurred to me that Cards’ tight end coverage provided a good overview of the the personnel issues. Joseph has tried covering the TE with everyone except Murray. None of his adjustments have worked. Simply put, its clear the Cards don’t have a defender capable of quality coverage. Baker has been the best but no one will mistake him for a blanket. When your defense can’t execute a routine responsibility, you’ve got too many of the wrong people.

Jay Cardinal

Die Hard Cardinals Fan
Reaction score
We'll put Harry. Covering TEs is just impossible with this group. Do you see what Reddick can do playing edge -- or just let him go? He clearly is not the answer at covering TEs.

OP
OP
Harry

Harry

Reaction score
We'll put Harry. Covering TEs is just impossible with this group. Do you see what Reddick can do playing edge -- or just let him go? He clearly is not the answer at covering TEs.

He’s odd. He meets the athletic expectations but seems to have no instinct for diagnosing plays. He never saw a diversion that didn’t distract him. You could try him at DE on passing downs but if they run a screen or draw he’ll run right by it.

WildBB

Yogi n da Bear
Reaction score
We’ve been kicking around Joseph’s liability for the defensive failures the Cards have experienced. Certainly he bears some responsibility. I’ve been saying the mostly weak personnel is a larger part of the cause. I was watching the Eagles complete a pass to their tight end for a short gain. It occurred to me that Cards’ tight end coverage provided a good overview of the the personnel issues. Joseph has tried covering the TE with everyone except Murray. None of his adjustments have worked. Simply put, its clear the Cards don’t have a defender capable of quality coverage. Baker has been the best but no one will mistake him for a blanket. When your defense can’t execute a routine responsibility, you’ve got too many of the wrong people.
We could really use an elite SS.

Not sure where that puts Budah? But he's too short to cover most TE's effectively, imo. Putting Walker or Reddick on them is pretty irresponsible, and I've seen plenty of that. Seems like a very good TE is a coverage nightmare for most NFL D's to gameplan for.

Buckybird

Hoist the Lombardi Trophy
Reaction score
Harry I can’t argue anything you state, but let’s be honest. This defense can’t cover anyone, including the TE!!!

Too many easy throws, too many wide open receivers & backs. It doesn’t matter if we’re playing zone, m2m or blitzing. I’ve never seen more wide open, easy throws in the NFL EVERY game! It’s mind boggling.

I will say that I still believe Joseph is a bigger problem than most state or believe. He was mediocre in Denver with much better personnel & the players often complained about his schemes

CFLredzoned

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
This guy Benjamin Albright was on Revenge of the Birds and had some really interesting comments about Joseph. Apparantly, he's connected with Denver. This is around the 5:00 mark of the podcast - https://player.fm/series/revenge-of-the-birds-for-arizona-cardinals-fans

The jist of his comments are that today's tight ends are much better athletes than in the past. So covering them requires a more out-of-the-box approach and if you're using an outdated defense (like Vance), you're going to get burned. Unless you happen to have an elite coverage ILB.

Paraphrasing here: "It's tough to find linebackers that are great at gap control and at coverage. So if you don't have an elite ILB that can cover tight ends, and there are only 2 or 3 of those guys, then you have to bring a safety in. Usually that safety is too small and it creates matchup problems."

"...until you find the perfect architype and you kind of rethink defense in terms of the bodily architype and the coverage architype required to cover a tight end, the Vance Joseph defense is going to be sort of an antiquated offshoot of the Wade Philips defense".

I don't know what this guy's credentials are but it sounded good. Or not so good for Vance Joseph.

RugbyMuffin

ASFN IDOL
Reaction score
Great post, and my sarcasm is just general Jersey attitude not directed at the author.

.......so you are saying the complete lack of investment in our linebackers, and disgusting mis management of the safety position is costing this team on the field? Shocker.

Sent from my mystical communication warp drive device thingy

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score

I disagree. I think it is possible, just not likely. I think you use a lineman to intentionally bump the TE in coverage (Suggs) and then let Budda do the rest.

The problem is if you do that, you are leaving yourself exposed by the RB in the flat.

OP
OP
Harry

Harry

Reaction score
I disagree. I think it is possible, just not likely. I think you use a lineman to intentionally bump the TE in coverage (Suggs) and then let Budda do the rest.

The problem is if you do that, you are leaving yourself exposed by the RB in the flat.

Of course that slows the pass rush of a DE on what’s presumably a pass play.

Arz101

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
From the internet: Only place left for Reddick to be moved is to Waivers.

Sent from my 6060S using Tapatalk

Veer

All Star
Reaction score
Thinking about Reddick. We could've taken a similarly athletic edge rusher in the late rounds to turn him into an ILB. How could Keim draft a 100% project player in the top 15? It's always a bit projection with rookies, but not to the degree we've seen with Reddick.

Reddick was known for rushing the passer, and we wanted him to cover in space and stuff the run.
Could have used the 13th pick on a true difference maker like Hooker at FS or Payne at DT. I'm not even talking Watson or Mahomes, because two teams in need of a QB jumped ahead of us, knowing QB was our most likely choice.

Keim lucking into Murray, after deservedly getting the 1st overall pick, has bought him another year at least I guess. Hopefully he's learned from the Reddick mistake.

Latest posts

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sarahmoose