Top end free agent options at positions of need

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
Here are just some names and projected $'s courtesy of overthecap.com of guys who are free agents and fill needs.

RB - Kenyan Drake - proj $4.2 mil (I think this is low)
-He would be a guy we currently have to re-sign. He fits our system better than the other options available outside of RFA Austin Ekeler.

WR - Amari Cooper - proj $15.5
-He is exactly what our offense needs, but I doubt Dallas doesn't franchise him. They love him and all reports is that he likes playing for Dallas. The reason I put him on here is because Dallas has some choices to make financially. If he was available, this is the dude you crack open the bank for. He creates his own separation outside of scheme, has a solid work ethic, and has not been a distraction.

TE - Eric Ebron - proj $5.1
-Ebron is that the Cardinals were hoping for with Charles Clay. Athletic TE who can make plays down the field. Ebron will only be 27, and while he can be inconsistent, he is exactly the pass catching option that Kliff could use in his 12 personnel groupings.

LT - DJ Humphries - proj $11.5 (I also think this is low)
-Like him or not, DJ is still young (25) and can be a league average OT. He has had injury issues and consistency issues, but he is good enough to man the outside of the line for a short/mobile QB.

C - Connor McGovern - proj $8.5 (also low)
-He has played G and C at a high level and has a history with Kugler. He is strong and can anchor the front of a pocket which is something I believe Murray needs to be able to see due to his height (ala Drew Brees). Denver may franchise tag him, but they have a decision to make between him and another player so I put him here based upon that. Also, extending Shipley should not impact making this move as Shipley will likely stay a cheap option.

RT - Jack Conklin - proj $8.8 (also low imo)
-If we wanted to pay up at OT, Conklin is a viable option. He grades well through PFF, has experience blocking for a mobile QB, and can hold up in the run game. He is another player who probably gets franchised but the Titans (similar to the Broncos) have another player who they have to consider which is why Conklin is worth mentioning.

DE - Shelby Harris - proj $9.5
-Derek Wolfe is the bigger name in Denver but Shelby Harris is arguably the better player. He is great vs the run and would fit a defense built to take on the run heavy Seahawks and 49ers. He doesn't offer as much in terms of pass rush, but he is ready made to upgrade a 3-4 defensive front rotation. I also like re-signing Rodney Gunter who is projected at 7.5 mil.

OLB - Stephen Weatherly & Vic Beasley - proj 1.7 & 6.3
-Do you want to spend the projected 9.5 mil on Markus Golden, 11+ for Matt Judon? How about 9 mil for two players who give you two unique skill sets. Weatherly is a movable piece whose length and athletic profile is similar to Chandler Jones. He is still 25 and has been buried in a good defensive front. Beasley gives you speed off the edge that our roster currently lacks. He is not a great player, but put in a position where his role is part-time and where is not the primary pass rush option teams have to game-plan around, he could be successful.

ILB - Corey Littleton - proj $11.8
-Littleton offers something we currently lack at our interior LB position, coverage ability. I don't know that the Rams would franchise Littleton but they could probably make it happen if they wanted to. He is pricey and would be our second pricey ILB, but he fills a glaring need, especially in Joseph's scheme doesn't have any solutions in it. This would also shift Hicks into more of a pass-rush / run stopping role at ILB which he may be better suited for.

S - Justin Simmons - proj $12
-This is exactly what you would like to pair with Budda Baker. Tall, long S who can play over the top while Baker plays closer to the LOS. The problem is that Denver may decide to franchise Simmons, and even if they didn't, they have the ability to pay him as much as we do. Schematically, he played well in Joseph's system while at Denver, and it is tough to find many flaws in his game.

###

Some admitted omissions. I don't see a world where Brandon Scherff and Chris Jones do not get franchised so I left them off. I also don't believe we will be in the CB market unless we decide to move on from Patrick Peterson. I believe that is more likely to happen if Keim was fired, and I am not convinced he will be.

Last edited:

juza76

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Corey littleton best cover linebacker
Shelby Harris complete dt
Eric ebron red zone weapon

I d be happy with those 3

SoonerLou

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Amari would be perfect...but yea hard to see the Cowboys letting him go.

Any chance we can get Armstead from the 49ers?

football karma

Happy in the pretense of knowledge
Reaction score

he is playing DE in their 4-3

he was invisible inside earlier in his career in SF

RON_IN_OC

https://www.ronevansrealty.com
Reaction score

If Dak and Amari are not resigned before seasons end, Dak will be franchised and Amari may be available. One of them has to be extended before the end of the year for Dallas to keep both from hitting FA.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I think Humphries is going to get closer to 15M on the open market.

slanidrac16

ASFN Icon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Humphries
Littleton
Drake
Weatherly/Beasley combo

these would be great additions

I’d consider Robby Anderson because Cooper isn’t going anywhere. Also consider Kwitkowski( lb) who seems to just make plays.

We need a DE that can stop the run AND pass rush, our 1st pick in draft?

OP
OP
Chopper0080

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
Humphries
Littleton
Drake
Weatherly/Beasley combo

I’d consider Robby Anderson because Cooper isn’t going anywhere. Also consider Kwitkowski( lb) who seems to just make plays.

How I tend to view FA is first looking at where the upcoming draft is deep at, and then how can I use FA to enable me to take advantage of that depth.

On defense, I like the idea of adding Shleby, Beasely, Weatherly, and Simmons to go along with re-signing Gunter. The problem is that I think Denver will franchise Simmons. Littleton would be nice but I hate the idea of using 18 mil at the ILB position.

My favorite offensive players are Cooper and McGovern, but they are also viable franchise tag options. McGovern does a ton for this team IMO. He has history with Kugler. He has played C and RG at a high level so he enables you to be flexible moving forward. He is strong at setting the front of the pocket which I think Murray needs. I think it is important to copy what the Saints did with Brees by building the interior OL more so than the OTs even though I think we need to keep Humphries.

Cardiac

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Humphries
Littleton
Drake
Weatherly/Beasley combo

Robbie Anderson is very good and won't cost as much as Cooper.

OP
OP
Chopper0080

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
Players seriously considered for franchise tags

Whitney Mercilous - Texans
Anthony Castonzo - Colts
Yannick Ngakoue - Jags
Logan Ryan - Titans
Jack Conklin - Titans
Conner McGovern - Broncos
Justin Simmons - Broncos
Chris Jones - Chiefs
Hunter Henry - Chargers
Daryl Worley - Raiders
Dak Prescott - Cowboys
Amari Cooper - Cowboys
Brandon Scherff - Redskins
Austin Hooper - Falcons
Vonn Bell - Saints
Shaq Thompson - Panthers
James Bradberry - Panthers
Shaquill Barrett - Bucs
DJ Humphries - Cardinals
Jadeveon Clowney - Seahawks

also...Stephon Diggs may be available for trade this offseason and Calais Campbell could get cut (I think someone else on the board mentioned it as well I think)

TheCardFan

Things have changed.
Reaction score
also...Stephon Diggs may be available for trade this offseason and Calais Campbell could get cut (I think someone else on the board mentioned it as well I think)

Diggs and Campbell...yes please.

Adding those two players would make this a playoff team next year.

Cardsfaninlouky

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Here are just some names and projected $'s courtesy of overthecap.com of guys who are free agents and fill needs.

RB - Kenyan Drake - proj $4.2 mil (I think this is low)
-He would be a guy we currently have to re-sign. He fits our system better than the other options available outside of RFA Austin Ekeler.

WR - Amari Cooper - proj $15.5
-He is exactly what our offense needs, but I doubt Dallas doesn't franchise him. They love him and all reports is that he likes playing for Dallas. The reason I put him on here is because Dallas has some choices to make financially. If he was available, this is the dude you crack open the bank for. He creates his own separation outside of scheme, has a solid work ethic, and has not been a distraction.

TE - Eric Ebron - proj $5.1
-Ebron is that the Cardinals were hoping for with Charles Clay. Athletic TE who can make plays down the field. Ebron will only be 27, and while he can be inconsistent, he is exactly the pass catching option that Kliff could use in his 12 personnel groupings.

LT - DJ Humphries - proj $11.5 (I also think this is low)
-Like him or not, DJ is still young (25) and can be a league average OT. He has had injury issues and consistency issues, but he is good enough to man the outside of the line for a short/mobile QB.

C - Connor McGovern - proj $8.5 (also low)
-He has played G and C at a high level and has a history with Kugler. He is strong and can anchor the front of a pocket which is something I believe Murray needs to be able to see due to his height (ala Drew Brees). Denver may franchise tag him, but they have a decision to make between him and another player so I put him here based upon that. Also, extending Shipley should not impact making this move as Shipley will likely stay a cheap option.

RT - Jack Conklin - proj $8.8 (also low imo)
-If we wanted to pay up at OT, Conklin is a viable option. He grades well through PFF, has experience blocking for a mobile QB, and can hold up in the run game. He is another player who probably gets franchised but the Titans (similar to the Broncos) have another player who they have to consider which is why Conklin is worth mentioning.

DE - Shelby Harris - proj $9.5
-Derek Wolfe is the bigger name in Denver but Shelby Harris is arguably the better player. He is great vs the run and would fit a defense built to take on the run heavy Seahawks and 49ers. He doesn't offer as much in terms of pass rush, but he is ready made to upgrade a 3-4 defensive front rotation. I also like re-signing Rodney Gunter who is projected at 7.5 mil.

OLB - Stephen Weatherly & Vic Beasley - proj 1.7 & 6.3
-Do you want to spend the projected 9.5 mil on Markus Golden, 11+ for Matt Judon? How about 9 mil for two players who give you two unique skill sets. Weatherly is a movable piece whose length and athletic profile is similar to Chandler Jones. He is still 25 and has been buried in a good defensive front. Beasley gives you speed off the edge that our roster currently lacks. He is not a great player, but put in a position where his role is part-time and where is not the primary pass rush option teams have to game-plan around, he could be successful.

ILB - Corey Littleton - proj $11.8
-Littleton offers something we currently lack at our interior LB position, coverage ability. I don't know that the Rams would franchise Littleton but they could probably make it happen if they wanted to. He is pricey and would be our second pricey ILB, but he fills a glaring need, especially in Joseph's scheme doesn't have any solutions in it. This would also shift Hicks into more of a pass-rush / run stopping role at ILB which he may be better suited for.

S - Justin Simmons - proj $12
-This is exactly what you would like to pair with Budda Baker. Tall, long S who can play over the top while Baker plays closer to the LOS. The problem is that Denver may decide to franchise Simmons, and even if they didn't, they have the ability to pay him as much as we do. Schematically, he played well in Joseph's system while at Denver, and it is tough to find many flaws in his game.

###

Some admitted omissions. I don't see a world where Brandon Scherff and Chris Jones do not get franchised so I left them off. I also don't believe we will be in the CB market unless we decide to move on from Patrick Peterson. I believe that is more likely to happen if Keim was fired, and I am not convinced he will be.
I haven't watched a ton of college football this season because of being in Lexington at the University of Kentucky home games. 8 of them this yr. Is there any disruptive pocket collapsing DT's in college football to draft next April? That's a big need for us imo. It would help CJ & whoever we end up getting to replace Suggs.

overseascardfan

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
If Dak and Amari are not resigned before seasons end, Dak will be franchised and Amari may be available. One of them has to be extended before the end of the year for Dallas to keep both from hitting FA.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk
I’ve read Cooper will wait for season to end before talking about an extension. Just have to hope Dak doesn’t sign before end of season. But if Dak gets $30M+ will DAL still have enough money to sign Cooper? It looks like they locked up all other key players on big contracts so how would they still have money? I’ve read they could franchise Dak and transition tag Cooper but can they both get paid by DAL?

Guys I’d look into signing as FA:
OLB Bud Dupree
ILB Corey Littleton
TE Eric Ebron
FS Ha Ha Clinton-Dix
CB Kendall Fuller

cardsfanmd

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Robbie Anderson is very good and won't cost as much as Cooper.
I’m not sure why his name keeps getting brought up. Robbie Anderson has a better chance at running for and winning a seat in Congress than being pursued, let alone signed by the Cardinals. We don’t sign known douchebags. As long as the Bidwill’s run this team, it won’t happen and I’m very proud of that.

OP
OP
Chopper0080

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
I haven't watched a ton of college football this season because of being in Lexington at the University of Kentucky home games. 8 of them this yr. Is there any disruptive pocket collapsing DT's in college football to draft next April? That's a big need for us imo. It would help CJ & whoever we end up getting to replace Suggs.
There are a couple at the top who appear to be plug and play dudes.
Derrick Brown - Auburn
Javon Kinlaw - South Carolina
AJ Epenesa - Iowa
Marvin Wilson - Florida St

Some people like Raekwon Davis from Alabama but I think he will be more of a +run defender at the NFL level.

I haven't seen enough of Justin Madubuike - Texas A&M and Rashard Lawrence - LSU to make a clear statement on them, but from what I have seen, I won't be shocked to see them move up draft boards into the 2nd round.

OP
OP
Chopper0080

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
The titans declined the 5th year option on Conklin so not sure why they would franchise him
They did that because he had knee injuries in two consecutive years. Franchising him would be similar to us franchising DJ Humphries. If Conklin is available, I would be all for signing him. I think I would prefer McGovern, but either would fill a big need.