What is Isabella's football IQ...

BigRedRage

Reckless
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Stuff like this is so weird to me. Hopefully he just had a prior commitment conflict.
he didnt say what it was, just smiled and walked off quickly. Probably had a date or something. In the writings about it, they also said he is the guy that is living, breathing and sleeping football and doesnt care about anything else so the commitment is there. He's trying to make it on the field right now. The other guys are getting playing time and probably a lot more loose in life because of it.

Bkbobo

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
he didnt say what it was, just smiled and walked off quickly. Probably had a date or something. In the writings about it, they also said he is the guy that is living, breathing and sleeping football and doesnt care about anything else so the commitment is there. He's trying to make it on the field right now. The other guys are getting playing time and probably a lot more loose in life because of it.

When Andy was in high school, he worked hard to become better. During the winter season where a lot of the football players did nothing, he ran inside track to work on his speed. He is committed, trust me on that. I think his development was hinder playing slot and when he hurt his knee. I think that Kyler has not develop a flow with Andy, though it seems like that is starting to develop. Even on the play that Kyler took that sack (last series before we loss the lead) Kyler said in the interview he should have thrown it to Andy.

We have a very young offense group. If they can develop together, we will have a very strong WR group.

Last edited:

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
Like I said...hopefully it was just a conflict due to a prior commitment.

BigRedRage

Reckless
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I really dont care at all. Nkemdiche used to go out with players, didnt mean jack poo. All I care is that he is working on improving to be worth his draft stock and a contributor on more Sundays.

Cardsfaninlouky

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Because there are three to five different things he can do on each play, depending on the coverage and other things. Everyone has a job to do on the field, and none of them are making sure Rook knows what he's supposed to be doing.

Isabella was the only member of the WR room who apparently skipped out on the Lakers game.
I would've went, I'm a lifelong Lakers fan, Dodgers also lol. Strange how it all happened, my favorite lifelong football team resides in Phoenix & my lifelong pro basketball & baseball teams are the most hated in Phoenix lol. Anyways, back to Isabella. Ok, he has multiple things he can do on any given play. That being said, the play he didn't turn around on, imo, they should've had a signal for him knowing more than likely a blitz was coming. Telling him in the huddle to listen for said signal, when it comes, you have to break your go route off, turn around for a quick back shoulder throw. Ok, that sounds simple also, but since he's so inexperienced............? There has to be a way to let him know the main routes or things to do on the plays he's out there? He will have a full off-season & training camp to learn for next season but right now, they need his speed on the field. Hopefully during the bye week he gets a little more in tune with his plays & routes?

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
I really dont care at all. Nkemdiche used to go out with players, didnt mean jack ****. All I care is that he is working on improving to be worth his draft stock and a contributor on more Sundays.
Continuity and chemistry matters. "You doing you" at a position where you are dependent on someone else to get you the ball, and where route combinations and reads have to be identified the same without verbal confirmation is not a great mentality.

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
I would've went, I'm a lifelong Lakers fan, Dodgers also lol. Strange how it all happened, my favorite lifelong football team resides in Phoenix & my lifelong pro basketball & baseball teams are the most hated in Phoenix lol. Anyways, back to Isabella. Ok, he has multiple things he can do on any given play. That being said, the play he didn't turn around on, imo, they should've had a signal for him knowing more than likely a blitz was coming. Telling him in the huddle to listen for said signal, when it comes, you have to break your go route off, turn around for a quick back shoulder throw. Ok, that sounds simple also, but since he's so inexperienced............? There has to be a way to let him know the main routes or things to do on the plays he's out there? He will have a full off-season & training camp to learn for next season but right now, they need his speed on the field. Hopefully during the bye week he gets a little more in tune with his plays & routes?
These are not signaled or indicated because you don't want to tip off the defensive back. The back shoulder fade route adjustment only works if the DB fears the WR beating him vertically...if the DB is tipped off, he will just sit and jump the fade potentially for a pick 6.

When people talk about the jump from college to the NFL it is these things they are talking about. There is immense dependence on everyone on the offense seeing the same thing and adjusting accordingly with minimal communication. This is why rookies struggle and continuity matters.

Cardsfaninlouky

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
These are not signaled or indicated because you don't want to tip off the defensive back. The back shoulder fade route adjustment only works if the DB fears the WR beating him vertically...if the DB is tipped off, he will just sit and jump the fade potentially for a pick 6.

When people talk about the jump from college to the NFL it is these things they are talking about. There is immense dependence on everyone on the offense seeing the same thing and adjusting accordingly with minimal communication. This is why rookies struggle and continuity matters.
Well Isabella will have to learn that most DB's will or should fear his speed & adjust to that play. That one play should be put in for Isabella, that way he knows what's coming & to turn around once he gets the DB running with him full speed. Murray can just go to a check down if the DB doesn't bite on the go route.

cardsfanmd

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Isabella was the only member of the WR room who apparently skipped out on the Lakers game.
Maybe he stayed home to do some much needed studying? He doesn’t strike me as overly intelligent but he went to UMASS so I could def be wrong and from all accounts, he has a phenomenal work ethic. Isabella will be a damn good player imo. I’m glad we have him, still like the pick. He’s a good kid and, hopefully, will be here a long time.

Last edited:

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
Maybe he stayed home to do some much needed studying? He doesn’t strike me as overly intelligent but he went to UMASS so I could def be wrong and from all accounts, he has a phenomenal work ethic. Isabella will be a damn good player imo. I’m glad we have him, still like the pick. He’s a good kid and, hopefully, will be here a long time.
I agree with you that he will find a role. However, I don't believe that he is ever going to live up to his draft status as a 2nd round pick. He was over-drafted, but that is not his fault.

cardsfanmd

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I agree with you that he will find a role. However, I don't believe that he is ever going to live up to his draft status as a 2nd round pick. He was over-drafted, but that is not his fault.
What is to be considered a decent return for a second round pick though? Would you consider a guy of high character who earns a second contract as a third receiver worth the pick? That’s what I’m envisioning. Starting next year, I think he’ll be in that 60-80 catches for 600-800 yard realm.

football karma

Happy in the pretense of knowledge
Reaction score
He doesn’t strike me as overly intelligent but he went to UMASS

he graduated in 3.5 years with a math degree. he isn't dumb

there is also a giant diff between book smart and football instincts/smarts -- so who knows

HoodieBets

Formerly azcardsfan1616
Reaction score
Isabella was at The Umass game yesterday he did an interview in the booth. Figured he would have stayed in AZ.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Metcalf has extremely weak hands but gets open at will.

His drops and the miss by Wilson to Hollister are probably going to cost me my fantasy game today.

It's weird he has no wiggle at all, just straight ahead, but he's so physically strong he seems to be like LeBron going down the lane where he creates a wake as players fall off him, but agreed he seems to drop lots of balls.

Solar7

Go Suns
Reaction score
For all those clamoring for D.K. Metcalf... he’s dropped 2 touchdowns in the first half today.
Oh no! Panic! He dropped two touchdowns! Let's pretend he doesn't have 35 receptions to Isabella's 7, 5 TDs to Isabella's 1, 595 yards to Isabella's 180, while playing the outside position we desperately can't fill.