Suns updates and discussion for the 2019-20 season

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Anyone interested in Jamal Crawford if the Suns could clear room? He is still available. I would especially if Ty Jerome takes more time to mend.

Even at 40 he is better than anyone the Suns currently have at backup point guard.

Another option is to look at some G-League players.

https://www.espn.com/nba/player/stats/_/id/165/jamal-crawford

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Didn't we have him before?

The Suns had Crawford last season. He is one of the players I wouldn't mind having back.

He is a combo guard who can score and distribute thus he wold help fill a couple of needs for the Suns.

Also he seems to be a good mentor.

CardsSunsDbacks

Not So Skeptical
Reaction score
He's good to go! Crawford can still play.
While I do like his ability as an iso scorer that is pretty much all he would bring to the team. Doesn't really help with creating for others and is terrible on defense. Just doesn't make sense for what we need.

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Anyone interested in Jamal Crawford if the Suns could clear room? He is still available. I would especially if Ty Jerome takes more time to mend.

Even at 40 he is better than anyone the Suns currently have at backup point guard.

Another option is to look at some G-League players.

https://www.espn.com/nba/player/stats/_/id/165/jamal-crawford

I've been in favor of bringing him back all offseason. I think he could also provide some bench scoring, which is needed. He can handle the ball well, create his own shot, and score in bunches. He would also give some depth that would allow JJ to search for a deal that sends Tyler Johnson out. I don't think they need to rush to trade TJ but if he could be moved for a veteran PF/C that would help a lot.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I've been in favor of bringing him back all offseason. I think he could also provide some bench scoring, which is needed. He can handle the ball well, create his own shot, and score in bunches. He would also give some depth that would allow JJ to search for a deal that sends Tyler Johnson out. I don't think they need to rush to trade TJ but if he could be moved for a veteran PF/C that would help a lot.

There is a lot to like about bringing Crawford back. He brings some qualities Ty Jerome should bring to the game... shooting and passing. We agree about this. Crawford had some good games for the Suns. I can't imagine the Suns keeping all these guards anyway.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
While I do like his ability as an iso scorer that is pretty much all he would bring to the team. Doesn't really help with creating for others and is terrible on defense. Just doesn't make sense for what we need.

Crawford might be depth most of the time but he provides what the Suns need now, shooting and some passing.

Some nights the Suns look dead in the water. I think he could be a spark plug when this happens. It's not always what a player can't do but what they can do.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
He’s never played defense in his life. He’s a good guy, but wouldn’t fit with monty’s mentality. And as such he’d actually detract from what Monty is trying to instill in this team.

When the Suns go through another cold shooting spell I'd like to have Crawford as an option. Making shots is another way to slow down the other team's offense. Crawford would probably be the best backup point guard on the roster while Jerome is out. Besides, who knows how long it will take Jerome to get up to speed. I've seen nothing from Crawford to make me think he is not a team player.

BC867

Long time Phoenician!
Reaction score
When the Suns go through another cold shooting spell I'd like to have Crawford as an option. Making shots is another way to slow down the other team's offense. Crawford would probably be the best backup point guard on the roster while Jerome is out. Besides, who knows how long it will take Jerome to get up to speed. I've seen nothing from Crawford to make me think he is not a team player.
A 40-year old reeks of desperation. We see how Baynes is wearing down. And he is eight years younger.

In rounding out the roster, I hope the Suns are more proactive than considering a 40-year old.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
A 40-year old reeks of desperation. We see how Baynes is wearing down. And he is eight years younger.

In rounding out the roster, I hope the Suns are more proactive than considering a 40-year old.

Want you call desperation I call filling a need.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
By the way, Jamal Crawford is actually 39 not 40.

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I don't think Crawford has much left in the tank. He was more of a negative than a positive on the floor last year IMO.

That's why he went off and scored 51 in the last game of the year last season, off the bench. He can give a team 15-20 minutes a night. He's already proven he can be a positive veteran influence and he's available for next to nothing. If the Suns had a roster spot then I'd be all in favor of signing Crawford but they need to waive or trade someone to bring him now and I can't see anyone that makes sense to cut loose for Crawford right now.

Phrazbit

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Crawford can't pass, defend or get to the rim. I don't see how he helps this team. We have plenty three point shooters, we need someone who can create and draw defenses into the lane... well, that and some interior defending and rebounding, also things he cannot do.

If we're going to try and find someone off the crap heap I would prefer it to be a big man. Joakim Noah or something.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Crawford can't pass, defend or get to the rim. I don't see how he helps this team. We have plenty three point shooters, we need someone who can create and draw defenses into the lane... well, that and some interior defending and rebounding, also things he cannot do.

I'm not convinced we "have plenty of three point shooters" but I don't believe Crawford shoots well enough from the arc to survive his other shortcomings for very long. I like him and I think it's clear he was a positive force for the younger players and I wouldn't mind him back on our bench but I can't see him earning minutes here.

Phrazbit

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I'm not convinced we "have plenty of three point shooters" but I don't believe Crawford shoots well enough from the arc to survive his other shortcomings for very long. I like him and I think it's clear he was a positive force for the younger players and I wouldn't mind him back on our bench but I can't see him earning minutes here.

I just don't see it. He isn't a spot up shooter, he is the antithesis of what we're trying to do on offense. He is an isolation chucker. Granted, for a time, he was a good one, but it's what he is, he brings nothing else and he isn't particularly good at that anymore.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I just don't see it. He isn't a spot up shooter, he is the antithesis of what we're trying to do on offense. He is an isolation chucker. Granted, for a time, he was a good one, but it's what he is, he brings nothing else and he isn't particularly good at that anymore.

It sounds like you think I was disagreeing on this so I guess I wasn't clear. I wouldn't mind him at the end of the bench because he can be a positive role model for the younger players but I don't see a place for him on the court except perhaps true garbage time. Even last year, if we'd had an actual NBA roster, he wouldn't have been more than the 14th or 15th player.

Phrazbit

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
It sounds like you think I was disagreeing on this so I guess I wasn't clear. I wouldn't mind him at the end of the bench because he can be a positive role model for the younger players but I don't see a place for him on the court except perhaps true garbage time. Even last year, if we'd had an actual NBA roster, he wouldn't have been more than the 14th or 15th player.

That's fair. But, personally, I don't think we're lacking in role models or leadership. Right now we need someone who can eat some minutes while all these guys are banged up... or suspended. I just don't see the need for Crawford in any capacity.

95pro

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Joe Johnson? he's younger, but wouldn't probably wont ever come back to the suns.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
They would be better off calling up Harper than relying on Crawford. At least Harper would come with some potential upside while bringing a similar skill set.

I like Lecque and Harper but I'm not sure if either are ready. However, I would not hesitate to give it a try.

When the Suns can't hit a shot or run the offense they need something. I've been waiting for one of them to be brought up for awhile. Maybe tonight.

If the Suns somehow found room for Crawford he would be mostly be a spot player who could provide a temporary patch now.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
That's fair. But, personally, I don't think we're lacking in role models or leadership. Right now we need someone who can eat some minutes while all these guys are banged up... or suspended. I just don't see the need for Crawford in any capacity.

Yeah I don't actually think we "need" him like we did last year. I just have a lot of respect for him as a human being and you never really expect to see the 15th guy on the court for more than a shoot around. In fact, he'd probably help us more as a shooting coach than as a player.