This Is Us (NBC)

UncleChris

Shocking, I tell you!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It was definitely more unloading of story-lines than normal... But we were able to keep pace and can see how what was shared last night sets the stage for some pretty compelling stories in subsequent shows.

Hope you are right. This has been our favorite show by far.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
yeah... last night really didn't work for me. They basically puzzled into storylines that ultimately connect with... supporting characters... that will obviously then effect... the lead characters. But to be honest, I don't really care about the Milo's brother, so that trickling down to Kevin is just like... eh. The stuff with the blind-singer was just lame and the payoff was super meh. The Deja connection is the most interesting, has a chance to turn into a good storyline with the other family, but even there I was like... okay.

Was a nice turn by Odder at the end I didn't see coming, but here's the thing with those stories with Milo And Rebecca (i am terrible with names right now) in the past... they have no stakes. We know they end up together. I guess they're going for the whole "it's the journey, not the destination" at this point with Rebecca and Milo, but I just kinda don't give a frack at this point.

82CardsGrad

7 x 70
Reaction score
yeah... last night really didn't work for me. They basically puzzled into storylines that ultimately connect with... supporting characters... that will obviously then effect... the lead characters. But to be honest, I don't really care about the Milo's brother, so that trickling down to Kevin is just like... eh. The stuff with the blind-singer was just lame and the payoff was super meh. The Deja connection is the most interesting, has a chance to turn into a good storyline with the other family, but even there I was like... okay.

Was a nice turn by Odder at the end I didn't see coming, but here's the thing with those stories with Milo And Rebecca (i am terrible with names right now) in the past... they have no stakes. We know they end up together. I guess they're going for the whole "it's the journey, not the destination" at this point with Rebecca and Milo, but I just kinda don't give a frack at this point.

To each his own... I actually enjoy learning more about Rebecca and "Jack's" journey. The fact that Rebecca's old man was seriously anti-Jack is fascinating to me and makes their story that much more compelling and rich.
As for Jack's messed up brother, Nick, it isn't so much about Nick at all... but, the fact that Kevin is going to be traveling to bail him out will likely lead to his meeting the women who is clearly suffering from PTSD and alcohol abuse. Kevin's dad (Jack), suffered from the same ailments and Kevin himself combats alcohol abuse... that's intriguing to me.
The blind-singer bit was probably the least compelling aspect to the show last night. But, I am holding out hope that the show will close that gap and create a more compelling story-line there...

DeAnna

Just A Face in The Crowd
Reaction score
I'm starting to lose interest in this show (which I loved the first 2 seasons). They are seriously stretching the story lines and nothing much happens in any given episode. Now I just let 3 or 4 accumulate in Hulu and do a mini-binge.

UncleChris

Shocking, I tell you!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The wife and I were commenting on the music used in the show. It's perfect. You almost don't recognize it's there and its subliminal effect is powerful.

The show is 5 star all around. :thumbup:. :thumbup:. :thumbup:. :thumbup:. :thumbup:

82CardsGrad

7 x 70
Reaction score
The wife and I were commenting on the music used in the show. It's perfect. You almost don't recognize it's there and its subliminal effect is powerful.

The show is 5 star all around. :thumbup:. :thumbup:. :thumbup:. :thumbup:. :thumbup:

Yes! The music is totally perfect! Really, the entire production is fantastic... The writing...The casting... The filming... all totally spot-on!

82CardsGrad

7 x 70
Reaction score
What an episode tonight... I’m already primed and emotional due to the entire universe as we know it being turned upside down as a result of COVID-19.... And than bam!
Next week is season finale... dammit. [emoji3525]

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
What an episode tonight... I’m already primed and emotional due to the entire universe as we know it being turned upside down as a result of COVID-19.... And than bam!
Next week is season finale... dammit. [emoji3525]

yeah... last night got me even more with what's going on with my Mom and her battled against cancer and this f'n virus as well.

82CardsGrad

7 x 70
Reaction score
yeah... last night got me even more with what's going on with my Mom and her battled against cancer and this f'n virus as well.

The experience of watching Randall be ripped open by the therapist was SO Freaking Well Done! So real. So relatable... and yes, dealing with an aging parent, one who is contending with an illness, is again - so damn relatable. But Randall's underlying storyline is just gut-wrenching...

UncleChris

Shocking, I tell you!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Excellent episode except for the finish. In the end, Randall was all about Randall.

Jersey Girl

Stand down
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Love this show. Didn't realize the finale is next week. Guess we'll be a long way from a new season with this virus.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
that was such an electric fight towards the end... only to be completely uncut by the last image of the season.

UncleChris

Shocking, I tell you!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
that was such an electric fight towards the end... only to be completely uncut by the last image of the season.

Absolutely agree. When siblings "Duke it out," the ugliest of the uglies get laid on the table. Kevin's was the worst of them when he indirectly played the "Oh, yeah? Well, you're adopted" card.

Just for me personally, I found it quite choppy, appearing to try to get 10 pounds of potatoes into a five pound bag. Likewise. They could have left all the future segments out as far as I'm concerned.

And finally, I was disappointed in the handling of Randall. He was a total chit in playing the guilt card with his mother and the little comeuppance he got for it was not satisfying. I've always been a Randall fan but his arrogance and self-serving behavior in this matter went generally unpunished...

Absolute Zero

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Gotta bump this thread… The producers, writers and actors are soooooo on point! One final show remaining before this amazing series is over.
IMHO, they are crafting a perfect ending.

Didn't realize there was only one left. That sucks! This show is awesome.

82CardsGrad

7 x 70
Reaction score
Didn't realize there was only one left. That sucks! This show is awesome.
Yea... I am not a big "series/show guy at all... But somehow, right from the start when I accidently stumbled upon the very first episode years ago, the show has grabbed me and held me all along. In such a well-crafted and highly relatable way, it consistently taps into the full spectrum of emotions. I'll admit I was a bit of a puddle last night...

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
Yea... I am not a big "series/show guy at all... But somehow, right from the start when I accidently stumbled upon the very first episode years ago, the show has grabbed me and held me all along. In such a well-crafted and highly relatable way, it consistently taps into the full spectrum of emotions. I'll admit I was a bit of a puddle last night...
Used to be teary eyed every episode but that hasn’t happened in last season or this one.

Jersey Girl

Stand down
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Used to be teary eyed every episode but that hasn’t happened in last season or this one.

Interesting. I guess it all depends on your situation. The last episode got me pretty good. Probably because I'm an old mom and I worry about leaving my daughter too soon.

I love this show, and will be sad to see it go. That said, I like that the writers said what they wanted to say and are tying it up when they see fit. Too many of my favorite shows either drug on too long and got convoluted (Lost) or felt rushed to get to the end (Game of Thrones).

I plan to rewatch the series this summer and rope Chris into it as well.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
G-PA