Cardinals Playoff opTIMism in December?

AZCardsWin

Our waiting is over!
Reaction score
This post is definitely for the extreme optimists LOL. Every year until the Arizona Cardinals are mathematically eliminated I like letting all of you know what is needed for them to qualify for the playoffs. Amazingly at 3-7-1 they are still alive in the NFC Wildcard race, however their current chances are only at 2%.

When talking NFC Wildcard the Seahawks or 49ers will be the #5 seed and the other will win the NFC West. The easiest math to get the Cardinals to the promised land is simple. The Cardinals would have to win out and finish 8-7-1 and hope the current #6 seed Vikings lose out and finish 8-8. The Cardinals would have to hope no other NFC wildcard race team does better then 8-8, which outside of the Vikings, could actually happen when you look at the schedule.

So we will take it one week at a time. One thing is for sure- when our Cardinals take the field at home vs. Rams in Week 13, they will still be alive in the NFC Wildcard race as the Vikings play on the road at the Seahawks for Monday Night Football.

Could the Cardinals win and Vikings lose and stay alive for another week? It's possible! In fact, anything is possible in the NFL. Stay Tuned.

I'll update this thread until they are eliminated.

Go Cardinals,
Tim in NJ

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
You must be registered for see images attach

Football Outsiders has us eliminated from the playoff race.

CardsSunsDbacks

Not So Skeptical
Reaction score

Football Outsiders has us eliminated from the playoff race.
That has to be a projection. Only one team currently has more wins than the Cardinals can reach therefor they can technically still get in.

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score

We're 4th in our division. The Panthers (who beat us) would be ahead of us in the playoff chase, as would the Eagles.

CardsSunsDbacks

Not So Skeptical
Reaction score

We're 4th in our division. The Panthers (who beat us) would be ahead of us in the playoff chase, as would the Eagles.
I don’t know if your misunderstanding or what. It would take a near miracle for the Cards to make the playoffs and no one is suggesting that they will. Just pointing out that technically they can still make the playoffs if a lot of things went there way. That would have to start with winning out.

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
I don’t know if your misunderstanding or what. It would take a near miracle for the Cards to make the playoffs and no one is suggesting that they will. Just pointing out that technically they can still make the playoffs if a lot of things went there way. That would have to start with winning out.

https://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2019/upshot/nfl-playoff-picture.html

Well, I mean, only 1 team is TECHNICALLY eliminated from playoff contention right now.

https://www.nytimes.com/interactive...inals-nfl-playoff-picture.html#ari-lar-13=win

That's pretty funny. If the Cards win against the Rams, their playoff odds fall to 0%.

OP
OP
AZCardsWin

AZCardsWin

Our waiting is over!
Reaction score
There are a lot of great in depth Cardinals posts all year round on ASFN, the one thing i'm proud to bring to this board are the crazy playoff scenarios for our Big Red! LOL

With that said if the Cardinals win next Sunday vs. Rams, and the Vikings lose next Monday night vs. Seahawks, the Cardinals will remain alive going into Week 14 when they will then host the Steelers (coming off emotional game vs Browns) and the Vikings (on a short week) will host the Lions.

opTIMism :koolaid:

wa52lz

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
We won’t make the playoffs but I did already decide that we will win out.
Agreed. That will be the ultimate Cardinal thing to do, win a bunch of meaningless games and hurt our draft position. Also we'll miss the playoffs by one game further driving us all crazy with the woulda, shoulda, coulda reviews of our losses.

cardsfanmd

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Agreed. That will be the ultimate Cardinal thing to do, win a bunch of meaningless games and hurt our draft position. Also we'll miss the playoffs by one game further driving us all crazy with the woulda, shoulda, coulda reviews of our losses.
Exactly.

Cardsfaninlouky

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
This post is definitely for the extreme optimists LOL. Every year until the Arizona Cardinals are mathematically eliminated I like letting all of you know what is needed for them to qualify for the playoffs. Amazingly at 3-7-1 they are still alive in the NFC Wildcard race, however their current chances are only at 2%.

When talking NFC Wildcard the Seahawks or 49ers will be the #5 seed and the other will win the NFC West. The easiest math to get the Cardinals to the promised land is simple. The Cardinals would have to win out and finish 8-7-1 and hope the current #6 seed Vikings lose out and finish 8-8. The Cardinals would have to hope no other NFC wildcard race team does better then 8-8, which outside of the Vikings, could actually happen when you look at the schedule.

So we will take it one week at a time. One thing is for sure- when our Cardinals take the field at home vs. Rams in Week 13, they will still be alive in the NFC Wildcard race as the Vikings play on the road at the Seahawks for Monday Night Football.

Could the Cardinals win and Vikings lose and stay alive for another week? It's possible! In fact, anything is possible in the NFL. Stay Tuned.

I'll update this thread until they are eliminated.

Go Cardinals,
Tim in NJ
I've been doing the same thing for weeks, checking the schedules of teams still in the race, as to whom they play. Only to be let down by our defense once again. We're a handful of missed opportunities in 5 games away from having 8 wins right now, that would've been sweet. I don't think we will face a better defense than the 49ers the rest of the way. We moved the ball on them & the spreads in both games said we didn't have a chance. We even had a shot against the Ravens had the defense got a stop? Not many teams can say that this season, even the Patriots got annihilated against them, we didn't. Maybe they hadn't hit their stride yet but it was also our second game so..........? We'll never know how our offense would've did on one last drive because we couldn't get the ball back. Hope the Vikings lose every game & we win every game. "Hope" is the key word, last yrs team gave me none of that, this yrs team has that now & in the future.

Cardsfaninlouky

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score

That's true but the poster said the Vikings & no other team can reach 9 wins, in order for us to get in. All other teams still in contention can get to 8 & that's it. If we were to finish 8-7-1 that would trump the Panthers & everyone else at 8-8, regardless of their win against us. If the Lions finish 8-7-1 then the tie breaker would be conference record. I have no idea how we look there compared to the Lions?

Cardsfaninlouky

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
I want us to get the best draft pick possible just like you my Cardinals brother but I never want our Cardinals to lose. Let's win these next 5 & gain some momentum for next season. Maybe lady luck falls our way for a change?

Cardsfaninlouky

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
There are a lot of great in depth Cardinals posts all year round on ASFN, the one thing i'm proud to bring to this board are the crazy playoff scenarios for our Big Red! LOL

With that said if the Cardinals win next Sunday vs. Rams, and the Vikings lose next Monday night vs. Seahawks, the Cardinals will remain alive going into Week 14 when they will then host the Steelers (coming off emotional game vs Browns) and the Vikings (on a short week) will host the Lions.

Hopefully the Lions get a 20 point lead on the Vikings like the team they played last week (can't remember the team) & don't blow it like they did lol?

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
That's true but the poster said the Vikings & no other team can reach 9 wins, in order for us to get in. All other teams still in contention can get to 8 & that's it. If we were to finish 8-7-1 that would trump the Panthers & everyone else at 8-8, regardless of their win against us. If the Lions finish 8-7-1 then the tie breaker would be conference record. I have no idea how we look there compared to the Lions?
The Vikes, Panthers, Rams and Eagles can all get to 9 wins pretty easily.

Cardsfaninlouky

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
The Vikes, Panthers, Rams and Eagles can all get to 9 wins pretty easily.
The Vikings can, the Panthers, Eagles & Rams still need at least 3 to 4 wins plus we can control the Rams win total if we beat them both times. Not over till the fat lady sings & I'm not hearing her yet lol.

TheCardinal

Veteran
Reaction score

At 8-7-1, the Lions would win the 2-way tie-breaker over us. We would be 3-1 in the AFC (better AFC record equals worse NFC record if two teams have the same overall record). The Lions already have two losses in the AFC, thus they would be guaranteed to have the better NFC record at 8-7-1.

OP
OP
AZCardsWin

AZCardsWin

Our waiting is over!
Reaction score
Losses by the Panthers (5-6) , Lions (3-7-1), Giants (2-9), Eagles (5-6), and Cowboys (6-5) all helped the Cardinals in Week 12. Now we need a BIG Ravens win tonight versus Rams which would drop them to (6-5) on Monday Night football!

Then the Rams travel to AZ on a short week to play our Cardinals who are coming off a bye week. I like our chances to get to 4-7-1!

Arz101

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Please STOP

Sent from my 6060S using Tapatalk

jmt

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
I always hope we win - GBR! I don’t think players ever care about draft position, that’s a management issue.

OP
OP
AZCardsWin

AZCardsWin

Our waiting is over!
Reaction score
You guys are scheming ways for the Cardinals to get into the playoffs, and I'm still trying to figure out if we can still get a top 5 pick. LOL! Long term, I'd rather we get the top 5 pick:D

In a few weeks we will flip the script and turn to you on what is needed for that Top 5 pick, gotta love following the Cardinals! LoL :cheers: