Pelicans @ Suns Thursday game thread 11-21-19

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
On Thursday the Suns and Pelicans play on national television at Talking Stick Resort Arena in Phoenix.

The game will be televised on TNT.

Game time is 8:30 p.m. MST.

On Tuesday the Pelicans (5-9, 1-5 away) beat the Trail Blazers 115-104 while the Suns (7-6, 5-4 home) lost to the Kings 120-116.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
More about the injury situation for the Suns.

Kellan Olson‏Verified account @KellanOlson

Injury report still has Frank Kaminsky (left hip contusion) and Dario Saric (right knee contusion) as probable. Cam Johnson (right knee general soreness) is also probable.

3:36 PM - 20 Nov 2019

CardsSunsDbacks

Not So Skeptical
Reaction score
Rubio being out is going to hurt the most. The Pels are not a big team whatsoever so we can probably get away with Baynes being out.

It obviously hurts not having Rubio's play-making out there, but we should still be able to match up pretty well on defense.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Rubio being out is going to hurt the most. The Pels are not a big team whatsoever so we can probably get away with Baynes being out.

It obviously hurts not having Rubio's play-making out there, but we should still be able to match up pretty well on defense.

If Rubio is out I'm wondering if the Suns start Okobo.

Of course that leads to the question who backs up Okobo... Tyler Johnson, Jevon Carter, Devin Booker or the Suns look at other options.

Perhaps we will get a hint as the NAZ Suns have a game tomorrow night.

SirStefan32

Krycek, Alex Krycek
Reaction score
I'd probably start Okobo and use TJ to provide some stability once Booker goes to the bench. Honestly, without Rubio, all they can hope for is to hit their outside shots and play good enough defense to limit the Pelicans' scoring. I'd likely use a lot of three wing lineups (three of Booker, Cam, Mikal, and Oubre) with just one big. You hope that between the two Johnsons, Okobo, Booker, Oubre, Bridges, Frank, and Dario, three of them shoot a decent percentage from three. You can also roll out the point Book lineup with 4 shooters around him.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Some thoughts from Diallo.

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
we really need a stop the bleeding W here and Booker needs to be the guy to make sure it gets done. We're at home, playing a bad team. If he's going to ever rise to the level of true superstar, the kind of guy who can be a number 1 on a championship level team, these are the type of games that he needs to be able to show he can put the team on his back, make everyone better and come out with a W under less than ideal circumstances.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Monty says Ty Jerome is getting better and doing more every day.

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

hcsilla

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
The problem is that this team without Rubio and Baynes is dangerously close to the last year's Suns because both players have key roles in the much improved offensive and defensive awareness under Monty.

95pro

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
we really need a stop the bleeding W here and Booker needs to be the guy to make sure it gets done. We're at home, playing a bad team. If he's going to ever rise to the level of true superstar, the kind of guy who can be a number 1 on a championship level team, these are the type of games that he needs to be able to show he can put the team on his back, make everyone better and come out with a W under less than ideal circumstances.

I've tried to remain positive for him, but i'm not sure what to think when he's still yet to get us a win or two in close games against bad teams. Then there's the 2 fouls in the 1st or 3 before the half. Then the turnovers. He's putting up nice numbers but there's still a little something missing. We've seen good players put up a win even though they're surround by a bad roster. i'm not sure there's a game i remember where Book willed a win.

95pro

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
The problem is that this team without Rubio and Baynes is dangerously close to the last year's Suns because both players have key roles in the much improved offensive and defensive awareness under Monty.

Saric is more than capable of making shots, he just hasn't been. Kaminsky has reverted to some habits of being passive and less aggressive. Both aren't super athletic but are dealing with injuries.

This is where Oubre needs to step up, seems like he hasn't be involved since the Lakers game, a bad one for him. I would like Tyler to try and take over for the second unit, but I think the team is trying to play within Monty's system even with key guys out; Ayton, Baynes and Rubio.

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
I've tried to remain positive for him, but i'm not sure what to think when he's still yet to get us a win or two in close games against bad teams. Then there's the 2 fouls in the 1st or 3 before the half. Then the turnovers. He's putting up nice numbers but there's still a little something missing. We've seen good players put up a win even though they're surround by a bad roster. i'm not sure there's a game i remember where Book willed a win.
But on the flip side, Booker was a large part of why we won big in a bunch of games, so I think it’s a bit off base to level Booker as a guy who can’t be clutch. Especially after these recent 5 losses, some of which were blowouts.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
But on the flip side, Booker was a large part of why we won big in a bunch of games, so I think it’s a bit off base to level Booker as a guy who can’t be clutch. Especially after these recent 5 losses, some of which were blowouts.

I know as far as I'm concerned, I don't have an issue with Booker being clutch. In a close game, if he's taking shots at the end of it, I like the ball coming out of his hands. My question is if he can really be that true-blue #1 star on a championship contender year in year out. Someone who has the ability to completely control a game, make players around him better or make defenses completely scheme for him and for it not to matter. I still don't know if he's got that in him.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
This is diallo’s FOURTH season and he still looks like that on the offensive end?!?

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I was hoping we'd leave Tyler to his bench role and start Booker, Bridges, Oubre, Saric and Kaminski.

Latest posts

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Beagleperson